As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] [IC/OOC] Star Wars Force & Destiny: The Clone Wars [NEGOTIATIONS AT SARKA]

Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
edited January 2016 in Critical Failures
Star-Wars-The-Clone-Wars-Logo.png
"For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times... before the Empire." -- Obi-Wan Kenobi

The Pitch

Some of you may be familiar, way back in 2007, a fellow by the name of @Horseshoe started a Star Wars game (here) using the d20 Saga rules that were fresh and shiny at the time. It was one of the best games I've ever had the honor of participating in and I still think about the unexpected and crazy direction that game went in. Sadly the story never got finished.

I share the backstory only because I'd like to use Fantasy Flight's wonderful new game to launch a new campaign, an homage to some of the best gaming I've ever done. I've been playing F&D at the table, I've done my homework, and I'm confident I can run an exciting campaign that we will all be enjoying for awhile.

What I'm looking for are two (yes, only two for now) players who are willing to take on the role of a Jedi Master and their first Padawan learner on the verge of knighthood. The Clone Wars are fresh upon the galaxy and the Jedi are still coming to grips with their roles as generals over peacekeepers.

Mechanical Bits

Because the default assumption is that Force & Destiny characters are trying to avoid detection by the Empire and training is scattered and play-it-by-ear there will be some tweaks to character generation. Each character will be made differently; here are the changes in brief:

Jedi Master - One additional free rank in Negotiation or Charm, Education, Discipline, and your choice of a Knowledge (Outer Rim, Core Worlds, Lore) after choosing career. 180 bonus xp (cannot be spent on characteristics). One free additional specialization awarded from any Force & Destiny career. Three Force Power unlocks chosen between Enhance, Foresee, Influence, Misdirect, Move, Seek and Sense. You will, of course, be starting with a basic Lightsaber with the opportunity for upgrading later.

Jedi Apprentice - One additional free rank in Education. You may also choose two of your Master's career skills; they are career skills for you. 150 bonus xp. Two Force Power unlocks chosen between Enhance, Foresee, Influence, Misdirect, Move, Seek and Sense. You gain the benefit of the Mentor discount, meaning any basic Force Powers you learn down the road are 5 xp cheaper. You will also be starting with a basic Lightsaber.

** Morality **
These options will be ignored at character generation. The Jedi Knights have no need for money and Morality will change and grow in play based on our actions, and I've already baked in a lot of "free" xp into my alterations above. That said, you're welcome to start +/- 10 Morality at character generation (or anywhere within that range) to represent the fact that you've been on some adventures already. Even better if you can come up with some background on what made you lose/gain Morality.

There are no hard-and-fast rules other than those above to how you go about generating your characters, only to keep in mind that you're a teacher-student pair who've been together for a bit of time. The only other recommendation I'd make is if you want to use the Force on a regular basis, +1 Force Rating is a good place to aim.

With all that out of the way, I open recruitment. I don't have a hard and fast rule on when I'll be closing recruitment for the game; I would hold off on making a character until we actually confirm who's playing since there needs to be a little collaboration between our two heroes.

Super Namicchi on

• Options
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    must be the holiday time. does nobody want to be a space wizard monk?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I would like to do this with @Fuselage but we don't know the rules or have the sourcebooks so we would have to be baby'd quite a bit which might be more work than you're interested in.

Also I dunno if @Fuselage would be down

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I would like to do this with @Fuselage but we don't know the rules or have the sourcebooks so we would have to be baby'd quite a bit which might be more work than you're interested in.

Also I dunno if @Fuselage would be down

What is your bidding, Master?

(It's a PbP so it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with, and I can get my hands on the rules. We have a lively community around here.)

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    I don't mind teaching you guys! the game is super simple to learn. it would be helpful to have the book but I can probably whip up some generation rules, although that would take some time

• Options
    There's not a place to buy a PDF of the core book is there?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    unfortunately no - being a licensed property to disney/lucasfilm means no electronic formats :(

• Options
    Harrumph! I'll work on getting my own copy.

Can our characters be brothers? As the older, I, of course, would be the Master, imparting my wisdom to my younger brother @Fuselage

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    hmm, that's an interesting one. I don't see why not; there are the famous Jedi Masters Tiplee and Tiplar who are twins. plus it might be fun to come up with some kind of Force bond mechanic for you guys!

• Options
    You hear that, @Fuselage ? We're bonding!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    You hear that, @Fuselage ? We're bonding!

I'll never forgive you for that ice you threw at my face, you monster!

That's what drove me to being a Grey Jedi.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I've played a Sentinel whenever given the option, I'm not sure this will be an exception.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Halt, Mutant!

Ok....not!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    With just two of us is it important to have a healer, or are you planning around whatever we pick for classes?

My gut instinct is Starfighter Ace, but if we're mostly going to be on foot then I might go Consular

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    The Clone Wars are fresh upon the galaxy and the Jedi are still coming to grips with their roles as generals over peacekeepers.

I hadn't noticed that part.

So we'll be fighting in the Clone Wars?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2015
    The Clone Wars are fresh upon the galaxy and the Jedi are still coming to grips with their roles as generals over peacekeepers.

I hadn't noticed that part.

So we'll be fighting in the Clone Wars?

I'm just saying, it's got room for two!
    ARC170-SWE.jpg

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Ok, got a copy of the book and I'm ready to roll! (buh dum chh). My only question is what kind of role are our characters filling? Is the Master a General in the war? Are they spies? Are they not directly involved at all?

edit: Would you have a time in the evening to get on vent or something with @Fuselage and me (or just me if his kids are being kids) to hash out character stuff?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    unfortunately I work nights, that being said I can probably squeeze some time out and lurk in the IRC channel for CF tomorrow evening

• Options
    I have the next two days off so I can pretty much talk whenever. The character creation process feels weird to me (in terms of step order), but I've only really done D&D 4th Ed.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I will try to be in #criticalfailures on slash net irc tomorrow evening then

• Options
    And I'll try to figure out how to use irc by tomorrow night :P

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    mibbit.com is a good web-based client

• Options
    I'm eastern time zone. What time would work best for you?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I just saw this, and assume it's too late, but I would totally be interested in playing this. I currently run an EOE/F&D campaign so I'm super familiar with the rules.

I also use OG dudes characterr creator and have copied all of the talents into the files, so if you use that I can give you my copy of the files. I own all the books and have uh.... well, lets just say you should pm me for the rest of that conversation.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Link to the IRC chat is right in my sig! :+1:

Glad you're rebooting this format. :D

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    i'll likely be on around 7-8 central, maybe earlier, maybe later

i'll keep a session open though

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    I was having trouble with the chat thing, so lemme know when you get a minute

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    thanks for the help @belligerent - i don't plan to keep the group at 2 players for too long so I'll definitely make sure you're on the list

• Options
    Hey @ArcanisTheImpotent can you post that link to the google doc of the character sheet again?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Thanks. In the Ogg builder, does the black square with red in it next to a skill mean -1 black die?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Yup

• Options
    edited December 2015
    HUrry up, @Fuselage these Clones aren't going to War themselves! :P

@ArcanisTheImpotent Jensen Mornay doesn't have an Astrogation skill?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    it's just at base level so I didn't write it down

• Options
    Ah, gotcha. So whats your work schedule like? Graveyard shift always?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    @Fuselage is gonna be DMing a D&D game tonight, I believe.

While we wait, @belligerent care to regale us with some stories from your games?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Still interested, just struggling over the character creation hump because I have to do that on the laptop. Everything else can be done on a smart phone which is fabulous.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    @Fuselage what are you this afternoon, around noon your time? We can work on it together

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    guess I should put recruiting in the title, hur de dur

(reserved for more stuff probably later)
    That helps.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    I'm gonna change Influence to Seek.

I like to imagine that we flew out looking for ship wrecks to salvage/recover. My guy would pilot and seek the wrecks, and @Fuselage would use his computer skills and mechanic skills to fix it up and determine if it was an accident or intentional. If intentional we'd go bust some heads, in a non-Sith way.

3basnids3lf9.jpg