Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

134689100

Posts

  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Many X-Wings happened yesterday! I played in a tournament. I played this list:
    Prototype Pilot (17)
    Chardaan Refit (-2)

    Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
    Twin Laser Turret (6)

    Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
    Twin Laser Turret (6)

    Poe Dameron (31)
    Veteran Instincts (1)
    R5-P9 (3)
    Autothrusters (2)

    Total: 100

    Obviously it's very similar to Heaver's list from Worlds, but I learned from practice that I'm not good enough to fly a BTL-A4 Y-Wing, and I like A-Wing blockers a lot.

    There were 14 players in the event and we ended up playing four rounds.

    Round 1

    Opponent's List: 5 Kihraxz Fighters

    This was a scary one. Y-Wings get melted by swarms, especially swarms with three dice. My path to victory was for him to chase my Y-Wings and be able to take down three Kihraxz before they both went down. Poe vs. two Kihraxz would be a pretty easy win, at that point. I started with my normal deployment: A-Wing on a corner facing along my board edge -- this allows him to enter the battle from pretty much any point along my edge, since A-Wings are fast and have two different k-turns. Y-Wings in the center facing right down the middle -- they'll open with either a 1-forward into a 2-hard turn, or just right into a 2-hard. Being in the middle means they can swing either direction depending on where the enemy is coming from. And Poe out wide, which allows him to turn in and flank the ships that are going after the Y-Wings.

    I made a mistake that I've done a couple times now and is making me rethink my positioning of Poe. I sent him forward on turn 1 and was then in a position where if I turned in and the Kihraxz turned in, Poe would be facing down all five 3-die shots, many of them at range 2. I wasn't comfortable so I sent him straight forward instead, and of course my opponent went straight for the Ys and Poe was out of the fight for a turn. I'm not sure if I need to bet harder on my opponent avoiding Poe, since he's such an asshole, or if I need to position Poe so that he'll be relatively safe if my opponent does turn into him.

    Anyways, in the first round of shooting both of us had pretty hot attack dice and cold evade dice so I lost a Y-Wing in exchange for a Kihraxz. On turn 2 he kept chasing the Y, Poe turned around and got arc, and I sent the A-Wing into his formation in hopes of blocking some focuses. Unfortunately, he banked perfectly and my A-Wing ended up right in the middle of his formation. Shooting was a bit softer this turn -- he split his fire and put some damage on the Y and stripped the A's shields, while I dropped a Kihraxz to one hull. Next turn he kept chasing the Y and killed it in exchange for the Kihraxz. Next turn had a pretty big play: he had a double-stressed Kihraxz facing a debris field with Poe and the A on the opposite side of it. I expected him to ignore the debris field and go for a bump on Poe or chase my A-Wing with the rest of his fighters so I turned away from the field, but he did a 1-bank away from the field as well to drop the stress and ended up with a range-1 butt shot on Poe. Poe was healthy, but losing that many shields when there were still three Kihraxz on the table would've been scary.

    Instead, he rolled two focus and two blanks and whiffed completely. After that I was able to k-turn and kill a third fighter while he killed my A-Wing, at which point Poe vs. two Kihraxz was just a matter of time and me not making a mistake.

    100-63 win.

    Round 2:

    Opponent's List: Poe, same build as me, Horton Slam with a TLT and Marksmanship, Jake with PTL and VI.

    This was an interesting pseudo-mirror match. He basically dropped one Y to build up his Y and A, which gives him a lot of consistency but removes a lot of firepower. He setup in a corner and sent Jake and Horton down the edge while Poe moved towards the asteroids in the center. I sent Poe directly towards his Poe and moves my Ys forward a bit so they could turn through the asteroids and cut off Horton. My A-Wing just did a k-turn along my edge of the board to try to annoy Jake. On turn 2 he was expecting me to keep chasing his Poe with my Poe, so he turned him away to run along his board edge, but instead I turned Poe outside to get arc on Horton. As a result, Horton died the next turn in exchange for a few damage on a Y while his Poe tried to get into the fight. After that he just didn't have enough firepower to break through any of my ships, so I eventually cleaned him up.

    100-0 win.

    Round 3:

    Opponent's List: Poe, same build. Ello Asty with R2-D2, VI, and Autothrusters. Tarn with an R7 and Integrated Astromech.

    Tarn ends up being a great tanky combo with R7, so the whole list is just dickheads.

    I fucked up my opening real bad in this game. I had my Y-Wings to the left side of my table, intending to turn them right. However, I did a 1-forward to open and then realized I couldn't turn right without running them both over an asteroid. Just terrible. I had to turn left which immediately put them on the board edge and made it way easier for my opponent to pin them down with Poe and Ello. The only saving grace was that he had to chase them into a corner, which made his options really limited, so I was able to flank with Poe and put a lot of damage on Ello. This culminated in the turn after he killed a Y-Wing, with my Poe was flying directly towards the corner of the map with Ello in front of him and Poe off to the side. I stared at that board for ages until I realized that the 4-k turn would put me right in the corner and he would likely have turned away to open up his maneuvering options. He did as I expected and my Poe landed right behind Ello with only Tarn having arc on me at range 3. I also turned my A and Y in to make sure I could take Ello down, but Poe did it all by himself. At this point I was in a great spot.

    Then the next turn... Poe had to do a green bank to get safe and clear stress. He did a k-turn with his Poe and turned Tarn in, which gave them both arcs on my Poe but at range 2 and with focus on my Poe and nothing on his. My Poe has two shields and three hull.

    His Poe fires: hit, hit, blank.

    My Poe evades: blank, blank. Shields down.

    His Tarn fires: hit, focus, focus. Spends TL to reroll focuses into hit, hit, hit.

    My Poe evades: blank, blank.

    Poe pops.

    And then there was no chance. I killed Tarn as my Y died, but then it was just an A against Poe.

    63-100 loss.

    Round 4:

    Opponent's List: same Poe. Ello Asty with BB-8, VI, Autothrusters. Dagger Squadron B-Wing with Advanced Sensors.

    I did my usual thing. He chased my Y-Wings and got one down to 2 hull very fast. My Poe swung around behind him and he tried to intercept me with his B-Wing, but Poe just breezed by him and popped Ello. Then his Poe took a 3-turn around an asteroid while my battered Y took a 2-turn around it, which kept it alive for one more turn. Then I was able to wittle down his B-Wing with TLTs and keep both Ys alive. He conceded after the B died.

    100-0 win.

    Results:

    The player who beat me in round 3 ended up crushing his round 4 opponent to take the overall win. My two 100-0 wins and relatively close loss pushed me to the top of the 3-1s and I took second place! Picked up a sweet set of extra munitions tokens and a gift card that I immediately spent to preorder the Ghost box.

    admanb on
    MNC DoverGrunt's GhostscrimsoncoyoteShortyAlbino BunnyKetarSokpuppetBetsuniElvenshaeitalianranmaMatev
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone know what the yellow missile tokens included with the Rebel K Wing are for?

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the yellow missile tokens included with the Rebel K Wing are for?

    Pretty sure those are the ordnance tokens for use with Extra Munitions

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    crimsoncoyoteShortyAlbino BunnyElvenshae
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the yellow missile tokens included with the Rebel K Wing are for?

    They are Ordinance Tokens used with the Extra Munitions upgrade. You place 1 token on each Missile, Torpedo, and Bomb equipped to the ship. When you have to discard the card, you can discard the token instead.

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Oh, awesome. Bought two k wings and a shit ton of armada stuff. I need to join a support group to stop buying.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
    crimsoncoyoteElvenshae
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Oh, awesome. Bought two k wings and a shit ton of armada stuff. I need to join a support group to stop buying.

    You are in the wrong thread for the last part.

    crimsoncoyoteShortyElvenshaeitalianranmaMatev
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    After watching the new movie, how come:
    Temmin Wexley and Jessika Pava didn't make it as named T-70 pilots. Ello and "Red Ace"? Really? That's pretty weak, especially if it was only because they were worried about spoilers.

    According to the Aftermath novel, Temmin apparently is a Recon specialist so he could have had a fun ability like:

    At the start of the planning phase, you may take a Stress Token and choose an enemy ship at range 1-3. That ship must play it's maneuvering dial face-up.

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    After watching the new movie, how come:
    Temmin Wexley and Jessika Pava didn't make it as named T-70 pilots. Ello and "Red Ace"? Really? That's pretty weak, especially if it was only because they were worried about spoilers.

    According to the Aftermath novel, Temmin apparently is a Recon specialist so he could have had a fun ability like:

    At the start of the planning phase, you may take a Stress Token and choose an enemy ship at range 1-3. That ship must play it's maneuvering dial face-up.
    I feel like they are leaving it open for a veterans/aces set, including the black/orange paint scheme for the T-70, and possibly another ship from the next movie

    MNC DoverShorty
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    After watching the new movie, how come:
    Temmin Wexley and Jessika Pava didn't make it as named T-70 pilots. Ello and "Red Ace"? Really? That's pretty weak, especially if it was only because they were worried about spoilers.

    According to the Aftermath novel, Temmin apparently is a Recon specialist so he could have had a fun ability like:

    At the start of the planning phase, you may take a Stress Token and choose an enemy ship at range 1-3. That ship must play it's maneuvering dial face-up.
    I feel like they are leaving it open for a veterans/aces set, including the black/orange paint scheme for the T-70, and possibly another ship from the next movie

    That's fine as long as they don't bundle them into a huge ship

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    crimsoncoyoteShorty
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    After watching the new movie, how come:
    Temmin Wexley and Jessika Pava didn't make it as named T-70 pilots. Ello and "Red Ace"? Really? That's pretty weak, especially if it was only because they were worried about spoilers.

    According to the Aftermath novel, Temmin apparently is a Recon specialist so he could have had a fun ability like:

    At the start of the planning phase, you may take a Stress Token and choose an enemy ship at range 1-3. That ship must play it's maneuvering dial face-up.
    I feel like they are leaving it open for a veterans/aces set, including the black/orange paint scheme for the T-70, and possibly another ship from the next movie

    That's fine as long as they don't bundle them into a huge ship
    If it was good enough for Porkins...

    It's possible they did it to avoid spoilers, but I'd imagine it's just as likely that they didn't have the official names to put on the cards. From what I've read, there were some high levels of security to prevent any kind of spoilers from leaking out. I'd bet that the names of the pilots where different on every copy of the script so they could trace any potential leaks.

    That's where I'd put that kind of tag anyway, something small enough that nobody would pay much attention to it.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • XeadinMCXeadinMC Reasonable Equestrian Lake Forest Park, WARegistered User regular
    So, first we got Super-Poe, then Acro-Wedgie, and now we get Target-Hobbie.

    Targeting Astromech might actually be a pretty powerful little upgrade. This, paired with Hobbie's ability, effectively gives him stress-free K-Turns, thus putting him back on the radar.

    YIVQ28P.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I finally noticed that about 2-3 weeks ago, youtube unblocked my Falcon Escape video! Here it is in all it's glory...for the few that never saw it.



    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    ElvenshaeGrunt's GhostscrimsoncoyoteAegeriEndaro
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    The TIEs you'll need for the second video... damn.

    Episode 7 spoiler
    You should do the one were Poe takes out 5 TIEs in like 10 seconds while Finn and Han watch from below.

    MNC Dovercrimsoncoyote
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The TIEs you'll need for the second video... damn.

    Episode 7 spoiler
    You should do the one were Poe takes out 5 TIEs in like 10 seconds while Finn and Han watch from below.

    The problem wasn't the pilots, but the long periods of downtime between fights. I didn't think it was worth making. What you mentioned though... :)

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    crimsoncoyote
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

    It specifies that Ten Numb's crits cannot be canceled evade tokens, evades granted by C-3P0, etc. because those still count as evade dice results. That's an important change.

    wpyz0Y5.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    MNC DoverShortycrimsoncoyote
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

    It specifies that Ten Numb's crits cannot be canceled evade tokens, evades granted by C-3P0, etc. because those still count as evade dice results. That's an important change.

    Yeah, this has already come up for me and I am intrigued to see we were wrong on that.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Shorty
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    aw shit maybe I'll have to try that mangler ten list again

  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    JUST SAW THE MOVIE! Now I can participate!
    The TIEs you'll need for the second video... damn.

    Episode 7 spoiler
    You should do the one were Poe takes out 5 TIEs in like 10 seconds while Finn and Han watch from below.
    HOLY SHIT THAT SCENE! HOLY SHIT POE! How is he NOT Force sensitive?


    signature.png

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The TIEs you'll need for the second video... damn.

    Episode 7 spoiler
    You should do the one were Poe takes out 5 TIEs in like 10 seconds while Finn and Han watch from below.

    The problem wasn't the pilots, but the long periods of downtime between fights. I didn't think it was worth making. What you mentioned though... :)

    So long as you end by showing the First Order player getting downright salty about the dice hating him...

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    ElderCat wrote: »
    JUST SAW THE MOVIE! Now I can participate!
    The TIEs you'll need for the second video... damn.

    Episode 7 spoiler
    You should do the one were Poe takes out 5 TIEs in like 10 seconds while Finn and Han watch from below.
    HOLY SHIT THAT SCENE! HOLY SHIT POE! How is he NOT Force sensitive?

    after seeing the movie I'm actually a little miffed that he's not PS9

  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So after playing a fair amount of both Armada and X-Wing, I have to say that FFG have done extremely well knocking it out of the park with these two games. On the whole though, I actually prefer Armada to X-Wing and most of the reasons why are a difference in the games overall "sales" strategy. With Armada, I have all of Wave I and II, where I feel if I felt like building two lists (one for me and an opponent) I could ably do so without worrying about overlap in limited cards or similar. For example, I have enough with what I have to make two very effective fleets, which are very fun and in almost any conformation (while still being effective).

    This isn't quite the case with X-Wing and much of this has to do with how "rare" certain cards are. Autothrusters, which are a must on anything "ace" like, are found only on the Starviper and that's a $32 model. This means if I want to build a few lists, which can play one another (theoretically) I need to decide what list gets those two cards and then all other ace style lists I would want are kind of crippled (as turrets beat aces to death, especially TLTs). On the other hand, why I think this is really an issue is because I can sense the frustration others have when they play my Han, Y-Wing Lists and because they have no interest in Scum and Villainy, they can't get these cards. Yeah you can beat a TLT Y-Wing list without Autothrusters with aces, but Autothrusters are a BIG increase in survivability.

    Rarity of cards is compounded when you look at the fact some cards that arguably "fix" other ships, like the Tie Advanced are tied into ships that cost $160 AU. The Raider is a very very nice model, but it's also the source of the Tie Advanced X1 and Advanced Targeting Computer - both upgrades that make the Tie Advanced a substantially better ship (for 1 point!). Currently, while Armada has some expensive ships (Home One, Imperial Class Star Destroyer), there is nothing quite this expensive in the game. Possibly the only thing close to this would be the necessity of Q7 Phylon Tractor Beams for Imperials in an Admiral Ackbar Conga Line World - even then you only need 1 of these (and the Imperial Class Star Destroyer has it as it is).

    Overall I feel Armada, while it's still fairly new in X-Wings defence on this point, gives me enough stuff that I can easily build lists without feeling I need to buy a lot of redundant ships and similar at the moment. On the other hand, if I want to run a nice 3 aces style thing for X-Wing, I know if I wanted it to be competitive in a store tournament or similar (it's easy to see what's commonly winning games right now) I would NEED another copy of Autothrusters. This means buying a $32 model that I am happy only having one of at the moment. There are several other examples, of which I feel Integrated Astromech will be far the most notable if there is only 1 in the T70 (or not). IA is basically required for the T65 X-Wing to be considered a good competitive ship again, but if there is only one copy that means buying 1 T-70 for every previous X-Wing you own!

    That's more than a bit ridiculous.

    It's really for this reason I've grown more fond of Armada, where (right now) it feels like I don't really need to buy second copies of some ships to have "essential" cards for another's function. This could change in time of course, because I am sure the early days of X-Wing weren't like this, but it is frustrating. It's also easily solvable and will stop people scalping certain cards on eBay for ridiculous prices (which is another thing I've noticed) if they would just release card "booster" packs. I'd gladly pay a few dollars for some more Autothrusters, Push the Limits and similar highly useful (but non-unique) cards. This will be especially good or important if they limit IA to only one copy in the T70 expansion.

    So far my main complaint with Armada is I just want more of it and I feel there needs to be some new space objects released at some point (like how debris fields were added to X-Wing with the YT-2400 and Decimator).

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    MNC Dover
  • MegaMekMegaMek Is a girl, actually. Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Eh, for friendly games at home, subbing shouldn't be an issue. And it you're the type to do tournaments and stuff, you're probably all in anyway.

    Still, would be nice to have easier access to certain cards, but I don't think it's much of an issue.

    MegaMek on
    Can I still be your pessimist?
    Endaro
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Somewhat, I feel having to buy two Starvipers is excessive to run a good imperial three aces list (that won't be eaten alive in the Y-Wing TLT world). I don't mind buying unique ships, as I love getting new ships, pilots and such - but I do feel the rarity of certain cards makes it overly difficult.

    You shouldn't need to buy into a faction for a couple of cards.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The X-Wing business model is actively predatory. And yes it doesn't matter to your average player, but that doesn't excuse it. Sadly, the game is too good for me to care that much. Stupid sexy X-Wing.

    Also
    Poe Dameron could totally be PS9 and I wouldn't be surprised if he was, at some point. But he's sooo good already, so who cares.

  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    ElderCat wrote: »
    JUST SAW THE MOVIE! Now I can participate!
    The TIEs you'll need for the second video... damn.

    Episode 7 spoiler
    You should do the one were Poe takes out 5 TIEs in like 10 seconds while Finn and Han watch from below.
    HOLY SHIT THAT SCENE! HOLY SHIT POE! How is he NOT Force sensitive?

    after seeing the movie I'm actually a little miffed that he's not PS9
    He's the same as Luke, so I'm good with it. It's clear that The X-wing Wedge is from Ep6, but Luke and Poe are from their first movies.

    signature.png

    crimsoncoyote
  • MegaMekMegaMek Is a girl, actually. Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    The X-Wing business model is actively predatory. And yes it doesn't matter to your average player, but that doesn't excuse it. Sadly, the game is too good for me to care that much. Stupid sexy X-Wing.

    Also
    Poe Dameron could totally be PS9 and I wouldn't be surprised if he was, at some point. But he's sooo good already, so who cares.

    I feel that it's no different than any other miniatures game. Most upgrade cards end up in multiple packs eventually; the only ones that strike me as being exploitative are the Tie Advanced upgrades (I mean, I wouldn't have the Raider if it weren't for them; that's pretty shitty, I agree).
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Somewhat, I feel having to buy two Starvipers is excessive to run a good imperial three aces list (that won't be eaten alive in the Y-Wing TLT world). I don't mind buying unique ships, as I love getting new ships, pilots and such - but I do feel the rarity of certain cards makes it overly difficult.

    You shouldn't need to buy into a faction for a couple of cards.

    I expect Autothrusters will make its way into upcoming expansions. There's been a pretty large gap of time between the last big release and wave 7; these things just take time.

    Can I still be your pessimist?
    ElvenshaeShorty
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    With FFG that's a very very long time.

    Which is why simple card supplements would be a very easy and satisfying fix for everyone. Of course, I fully expect the Starviper and SCYK (Maybe even Khiraz) to get a "Scum Aces" like pack in future, but for the moment there is no way I want another Starviper outside of two cards.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    The X-Wing business model is actively predatory. And yes it doesn't matter to your average player, but that doesn't excuse it. Sadly, the game is too good for me to care that much. Stupid sexy X-Wing.

    Also
    Poe Dameron could totally be PS9 and I wouldn't be surprised if he was, at some point. But he's sooo good already, so who cares.

    I feel that it's no different than any other miniatures game. Most upgrade cards end up in multiple packs eventually; the only ones that strike me as being exploitative are the Tie Advanced upgrades (I mean, I wouldn't have the Raider if it weren't for them; that's pretty shitty, I agree).
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Somewhat, I feel having to buy two Starvipers is excessive to run a good imperial three aces list (that won't be eaten alive in the Y-Wing TLT world). I don't mind buying unique ships, as I love getting new ships, pilots and such - but I do feel the rarity of certain cards makes it overly difficult.

    You shouldn't need to buy into a faction for a couple of cards.
    I expect Autothrusters will make its way into upcoming expansions. There's been a pretty large gap of time between the last big release and wave 7; these things just take time.

    The two things I have problems with are regular ship upgrades in epic boxes. The Advanced title is the most obvious but it's far from the only -- R3-A2 and R5-P9 in the Transport box and C3-PO in the Tantive IV box are also bad. The other one is single copies of cards like VI, PTL, Integrated Astromech, and so on.

    AegeriElvenshae
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    As an imperial player, I hated the idea that I'd need to buy Rebel and Scum ships to be good at bring Imperial. If the stuff was already in ships I planned to buy, sure. But I wasn't going to get a StarViper or a K-wing to get what I want.

    Brainleech
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Thinking more on Aegeri's rant, some of this is because FFG can't predict the meta. Who would have guessed how strong TLT was going to be? So we answer that with Autothrusters, which in turn will be answered with something else soon enough. It's like playing Hearthstone, each week someone has a way to be the unbeatable deck. Here, the answers come slower, but they're there.

    MegaMek
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Friend got me an IG-2000 for Christmas and gave it to me last night.

    So now I have a scum ship. I guess I need to get Most Wanted now for the Z-95 so I can actually use the IG-2000. :P

    Or just buy another IG-2000. I love me some IG-88, and that's before the whole brobots meta.

    jswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1og83npmjgeii.pngT298pV7.pngSteam:ArcSyn
    SokpuppetElvenshaecrimsoncoyote
  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So after playing a fair amount of both Armada and X-Wing, I have to say that FFG have done extremely well knocking it out of the park with these two games. On the whole though, I actually prefer Armada to X-Wing and most of the reasons why are a difference in the games overall "sales" strategy. With Armada, I have all of Wave I and II, where I feel if I felt like building two lists (one for me and an opponent) I could ably do so without worrying about overlap in limited cards or similar. For example, I have enough with what I have to make two very effective fleets, which are very fun and in almost any conformation (while still being effective).

    This isn't quite the case with X-Wing and much of this has to do with how "rare" certain cards are. Autothrusters, which are a must on anything "ace" like, are found only on the Starviper and that's a $32 model. This means if I want to build a few lists, which can play one another (theoretically) I need to decide what list gets those two cards and then all other ace style lists I would want are kind of crippled (as turrets beat aces to death, especially TLTs). On the other hand, why I think this is really an issue is because I can sense the frustration others have when they play my Han, Y-Wing Lists and because they have no interest in Scum and Villainy, they can't get these cards. Yeah you can beat a TLT Y-Wing list without Autothrusters with aces, but Autothrusters are a BIG increase in survivability.

    Rarity of cards is compounded when you look at the fact some cards that arguably "fix" other ships, like the Tie Advanced are tied into ships that cost $160 AU. The Raider is a very very nice model, but it's also the source of the Tie Advanced X1 and Advanced Targeting Computer - both upgrades that make the Tie Advanced a substantially better ship (for 1 point!). Currently, while Armada has some expensive ships (Home One, Imperial Class Star Destroyer), there is nothing quite this expensive in the game. Possibly the only thing close to this would be the necessity of Q7 Phylon Tractor Beams for Imperials in an Admiral Ackbar Conga Line World - even then you only need 1 of these (and the Imperial Class Star Destroyer has it as it is).

    Overall I feel Armada, while it's still fairly new in X-Wings defence on this point, gives me enough stuff that I can easily build lists without feeling I need to buy a lot of redundant ships and similar at the moment. On the other hand, if I want to run a nice 3 aces style thing for X-Wing, I know if I wanted it to be competitive in a store tournament or similar (it's easy to see what's commonly winning games right now) I would NEED another copy of Autothrusters. This means buying a $32 model that I am happy only having one of at the moment. There are several other examples, of which I feel Integrated Astromech will be far the most notable if there is only 1 in the T70 (or not). IA is basically required for the T65 X-Wing to be considered a good competitive ship again, but if there is only one copy that means buying 1 T-70 for every previous X-Wing you own!

    That's more than a bit ridiculous.

    It's really for this reason I've grown more fond of Armada, where (right now) it feels like I don't really need to buy second copies of some ships to have "essential" cards for another's function. This could change in time of course, because I am sure the early days of X-Wing weren't like this, but it is frustrating. It's also easily solvable and will stop people scalping certain cards on eBay for ridiculous prices (which is another thing I've noticed) if they would just release card "booster" packs. I'd gladly pay a few dollars for some more Autothrusters, Push the Limits and similar highly useful (but non-unique) cards. This will be especially good or important if they limit IA to only one copy in the T70 expansion.

    So far my main complaint with Armada is I just want more of it and I feel there needs to be some new space objects released at some point (like how debris fields were added to X-Wing with the YT-2400 and Decimator).

    I think this bites the overseas players the worst. The cost of the models goes up, and I imagine you have a harder time with sales. Like currently with Cool Stuff Inc everything is 33% to 50%+ off, so it makes it a lot easier to stock up on extra models to get those specialty cards.

    Pretty much my entire board game budget goes towards X-wing at this point, I just love having all the ships, and multiples at that. I very much have the Pokemon mentality with it, and I'm sure I'm FFG's ideal customer. Like probably today or tomorrow I'm going to be placing a $100 order with CSI for armada and X-wing ships. I can't pass up a hounds tooth at $18 US.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Does intimidation stack? I'm just imagining a bunch of TIEs latching on to an enemy ship and holding them in place while a stronger ship lines up a shot

    19904925_10212110475210016_877199487209228783_n.jpg?oh=da06b077303b0c8114ab8b0fbb667c4f&oe=59C4B278

    "Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are smarter than one man. How's that again? I missed something" Lazarus Long

  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Friend got me an IG-2000 for Christmas and gave it to me last night.

    So now I have a scum ship. I guess I need to get Most Wanted now for the Z-95 so I can actually use the IG-2000. :P

    Or just buy another IG-2000. I love me some IG-88, and that's before the whole brobots meta.

    I just acquired last week a second IG-2000 for that reason. I knew about how well it works togheter but after seeing some world matchup with the brobots, I just had to get a second one to play with. Can't wait to try it for myself.

    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
    crimsoncoyote
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So after playing a fair amount of both Armada and X-Wing, I have to say that FFG have done extremely well knocking it out of the park with these two games. On the whole though, I actually prefer Armada to X-Wing and most of the reasons why are a difference in the games overall "sales" strategy. With Armada, I have all of Wave I and II, where I feel if I felt like building two lists (one for me and an opponent) I could ably do so without worrying about overlap in limited cards or similar. For example, I have enough with what I have to make two very effective fleets, which are very fun and in almost any conformation (while still being effective).

    This isn't quite the case with X-Wing and much of this has to do with how "rare" certain cards are. Autothrusters, which are a must on anything "ace" like, are found only on the Starviper and that's a $32 model. This means if I want to build a few lists, which can play one another (theoretically) I need to decide what list gets those two cards and then all other ace style lists I would want are kind of crippled (as turrets beat aces to death, especially TLTs). On the other hand, why I think this is really an issue is because I can sense the frustration others have when they play my Han, Y-Wing Lists and because they have no interest in Scum and Villainy, they can't get these cards. Yeah you can beat a TLT Y-Wing list without Autothrusters with aces, but Autothrusters are a BIG increase in survivability.

    Rarity of cards is compounded when you look at the fact some cards that arguably "fix" other ships, like the Tie Advanced are tied into ships that cost $160 AU. The Raider is a very very nice model, but it's also the source of the Tie Advanced X1 and Advanced Targeting Computer - both upgrades that make the Tie Advanced a substantially better ship (for 1 point!). Currently, while Armada has some expensive ships (Home One, Imperial Class Star Destroyer), there is nothing quite this expensive in the game. Possibly the only thing close to this would be the necessity of Q7 Phylon Tractor Beams for Imperials in an Admiral Ackbar Conga Line World - even then you only need 1 of these (and the Imperial Class Star Destroyer has it as it is).

    Overall I feel Armada, while it's still fairly new in X-Wings defence on this point, gives me enough stuff that I can easily build lists without feeling I need to buy a lot of redundant ships and similar at the moment. On the other hand, if I want to run a nice 3 aces style thing for X-Wing, I know if I wanted it to be competitive in a store tournament or similar (it's easy to see what's commonly winning games right now) I would NEED another copy of Autothrusters. This means buying a $32 model that I am happy only having one of at the moment. There are several other examples, of which I feel Integrated Astromech will be far the most notable if there is only 1 in the T70 (or not). IA is basically required for the T65 X-Wing to be considered a good competitive ship again, but if there is only one copy that means buying 1 T-70 for every previous X-Wing you own!

    That's more than a bit ridiculous.

    It's really for this reason I've grown more fond of Armada, where (right now) it feels like I don't really need to buy second copies of some ships to have "essential" cards for another's function. This could change in time of course, because I am sure the early days of X-Wing weren't like this, but it is frustrating. It's also easily solvable and will stop people scalping certain cards on eBay for ridiculous prices (which is another thing I've noticed) if they would just release card "booster" packs. I'd gladly pay a few dollars for some more Autothrusters, Push the Limits and similar highly useful (but non-unique) cards. This will be especially good or important if they limit IA to only one copy in the T70 expansion.

    So far my main complaint with Armada is I just want more of it and I feel there needs to be some new space objects released at some point (like how debris fields were added to X-Wing with the YT-2400 and Decimator).

    I think this bites the overseas players the worst. The cost of the models goes up, and I imagine you have a harder time with sales. Like currently with Cool Stuff Inc everything is 33% to 50%+ off, so it makes it a lot easier to stock up on extra models to get those specialty cards.

    Pretty much my entire board game budget goes towards X-wing at this point, I just love having all the ships, and multiples at that. I very much have the Pokemon mentality with it, and I'm sure I'm FFG's ideal customer. Like probably today or tomorrow I'm going to be placing a $100 order with CSI for armada and X-wing ships. I can't pass up a hounds tooth at $18 US.

    Aegeri's rant is valid. It also bugs me a little even if so far I have only been playing X-wing casually even if I'm well over 600$ spent on it.

    I have the collecting bug like you Webguy so I do at some point end up buying every ship although I often limit myself to a single large ship and maybe 2 of each smaller ships (exception was made with the IG-2000). But I hate the fact that if I want to fly a T70 with Poe but would also like to have Integrated Astromech, I need to buy a new core set which I don't really need (already have 2 original core) and than one copy of the T70 individual buy for each integrated astromech. I'd love to at least get like 3 of them but it seems I'd need to buy 3 t-70 which bugs me. Of course, if I am patient, we might see the integrated astromech included in a veteran Rebels Ace pack (there will be one now that we know there is an imperial one coming) but that's 6 months away from now.

    It's an expansive game to play seriously. I'm sure I could cut the cost down a bit, but This compulsive desire to "buy them all" and "oh damn, I don't really care about that scum ship but I really need this autothruster card) is bugging me. Unlike you guys in the US with the amazing sales from CSI and others (which from what I can read, Asmodee will kill them this year) it's expansive here in Canada, considering our weak dollar, to buy ships. I get excited when I find a small ship at 15$, or a hound's tooth at 40$ when you guys can buy him for 18$ (which is the reason Asmodee is going to kill that market).

    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I want the Mist Hunter because I've used the name for so long. It's my email address!

    19904925_10212110475210016_877199487209228783_n.jpg?oh=da06b077303b0c8114ab8b0fbb667c4f&oe=59C4B278

    "Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are smarter than one man. How's that again? I missed something" Lazarus Long

  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Quantronic Dreamgirl Registered User regular
    I'm willing to let stuff like auto thrusters and whatever in small ships pass because honestly unless they made upgrades strict to a faction there'd be no way to not make upgrades that come with ships you don't want.

    It's less cool with the epic ships when it's stuff that buffs your factions small ships (often stuff that's designed to be a balance tweak like the TIE advanced). That's very clearly them trying to shove you to put the cash down on those even if you don't think you'll ever get the epic ship to table.

  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    Guibs wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So after playing a fair amount of both Armada and X-Wing, I have to say that FFG have done extremely well knocking it out of the park with these two games. On the whole though, I actually prefer Armada to X-Wing and most of the reasons why are a difference in the games overall "sales" strategy. With Armada, I have all of Wave I and II, where I feel if I felt like building two lists (one for me and an opponent) I could ably do so without worrying about overlap in limited cards or similar. For example, I have enough with what I have to make two very effective fleets, which are very fun and in almost any conformation (while still being effective).

    This isn't quite the case with X-Wing and much of this has to do with how "rare" certain cards are. Autothrusters, which are a must on anything "ace" like, are found only on the Starviper and that's a $32 model. This means if I want to build a few lists, which can play one another (theoretically) I need to decide what list gets those two cards and then all other ace style lists I would want are kind of crippled (as turrets beat aces to death, especially TLTs). On the other hand, why I think this is really an issue is because I can sense the frustration others have when they play my Han, Y-Wing Lists and because they have no interest in Scum and Villainy, they can't get these cards. Yeah you can beat a TLT Y-Wing list without Autothrusters with aces, but Autothrusters are a BIG increase in survivability.

    Rarity of cards is compounded when you look at the fact some cards that arguably "fix" other ships, like the Tie Advanced are tied into ships that cost $160 AU. The Raider is a very very nice model, but it's also the source of the Tie Advanced X1 and Advanced Targeting Computer - both upgrades that make the Tie Advanced a substantially better ship (for 1 point!). Currently, while Armada has some expensive ships (Home One, Imperial Class Star Destroyer), there is nothing quite this expensive in the game. Possibly the only thing close to this would be the necessity of Q7 Phylon Tractor Beams for Imperials in an Admiral Ackbar Conga Line World - even then you only need 1 of these (and the Imperial Class Star Destroyer has it as it is).

    Overall I feel Armada, while it's still fairly new in X-Wings defence on this point, gives me enough stuff that I can easily build lists without feeling I need to buy a lot of redundant ships and similar at the moment. On the other hand, if I want to run a nice 3 aces style thing for X-Wing, I know if I wanted it to be competitive in a store tournament or similar (it's easy to see what's commonly winning games right now) I would NEED another copy of Autothrusters. This means buying a $32 model that I am happy only having one of at the moment. There are several other examples, of which I feel Integrated Astromech will be far the most notable if there is only 1 in the T70 (or not). IA is basically required for the T65 X-Wing to be considered a good competitive ship again, but if there is only one copy that means buying 1 T-70 for every previous X-Wing you own!

    That's more than a bit ridiculous.

    It's really for this reason I've grown more fond of Armada, where (right now) it feels like I don't really need to buy second copies of some ships to have "essential" cards for another's function. This could change in time of course, because I am sure the early days of X-Wing weren't like this, but it is frustrating. It's also easily solvable and will stop people scalping certain cards on eBay for ridiculous prices (which is another thing I've noticed) if they would just release card "booster" packs. I'd gladly pay a few dollars for some more Autothrusters, Push the Limits and similar highly useful (but non-unique) cards. This will be especially good or important if they limit IA to only one copy in the T70 expansion.

    So far my main complaint with Armada is I just want more of it and I feel there needs to be some new space objects released at some point (like how debris fields were added to X-Wing with the YT-2400 and Decimator).

    I think this bites the overseas players the worst. The cost of the models goes up, and I imagine you have a harder time with sales. Like currently with Cool Stuff Inc everything is 33% to 50%+ off, so it makes it a lot easier to stock up on extra models to get those specialty cards.

    Pretty much my entire board game budget goes towards X-wing at this point, I just love having all the ships, and multiples at that. I very much have the Pokemon mentality with it, and I'm sure I'm FFG's ideal customer. Like probably today or tomorrow I'm going to be placing a $100 order with CSI for armada and X-wing ships. I can't pass up a hounds tooth at $18 US.

    Aegeri's rant is valid. It also bugs me a little even if so far I have only been playing X-wing casually even if I'm well over 600$ spent on it.

    I have the collecting bug like you Webguy so I do at some point end up buying every ship although I often limit myself to a single large ship and maybe 2 of each smaller ships (exception was made with the IG-2000). But I hate the fact that if I want to fly a T70 with Poe but would also like to have Integrated Astromech, I need to buy a new core set which I don't really need (already have 2 original core) and than one copy of the T70 individual buy for each integrated astromech. I'd love to at least get like 3 of them but it seems I'd need to buy 3 t-70 which bugs me. Of course, if I am patient, we might see the integrated astromech included in a veteran Rebels Ace pack (there will be one now that we know there is an imperial one coming) but that's 6 months away from now.

    It's an expansive game to play seriously. I'm sure I could cut the cost down a bit, but This compulsive desire to "buy them all" and "oh damn, I don't really care about that scum ship but I really need this autothruster card) is bugging me. Unlike you guys in the US with the amazing sales from CSI and others (which from what I can read, Asmodee will kill them this year) it's expansive here in Canada, considering our weak dollar, to buy ships. I get excited when I find a small ship at 15$, or a hound's tooth at 40$ when you guys can buy him for 18$ (which is the reason Asmodee is going to kill that market).

    Oh yea I don't want to seem like I'm dismissing Aegeri's rant, it is totally valid. FFG have found an incredibly lucrative business model in these little plastic ships, and it is going to hurt the people who don't want, or can't afford to go whole hog and still want a lot of variety in their squads.

    The only reason I buy so much is that I play a lot of Vassal with you guys, along with a few friends in real life. My dollars spent per hour ratio is pretty low because of that, but in reality X-wing has become one of my main hobbies I spend money on, and I can see people who don't want to take center stage. I would totally be on board with the expansion packs of just cards, but FFG will never do it, not as long as the ships themselves are still selling so well. They are definitely pricing people out of the game.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    As an imperial player, I hated the idea that I'd need to buy Rebel and Scum ships to be good at bring Imperial. If the stuff was already in ships I planned to buy, sure. But I wasn't going to get a StarViper or a K-wing to get what I want.

    I agree but I really don't want to buy Scum ships since I am really just playing small dog fights and engagements

    A.jpg
134689100
Sign In or Register to comment.