As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - EVERYONE

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Bayonetta is a nobrainer, since she’s practically a Nintendo character at this point.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think it is time for Mike Jones to be a smash character. And maybe it could revive the series.

Gotta dream.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I think it is time for Mike Jones to be a smash character. And maybe it could revive the series.

Gotta dream.

I'd love it, but I have to admit that there's an awful lot of conceptual overlap in his abilities with Ness and Lucas. Baseball enthusiast? Check.Yo-Yo as main weapon? Check. Psychic powers (from the second game)? Check. Even some of his other more memorable things are covered by others (like Villager's slingshot) or items (like the ray gun).

The few things that really stands out to me are the throwing stars that move in straight horizontal or vertical lines, and then split into two going perpendicular to the original trajectory if you press the button again while they're still in flight. Also that his final smash should be the magic snowman that freezes every foe on screen for a short bit (but it should not be enough time to whale on more than one). I guess his flying kick with cleats, and the magic anklet that extend jump distance would work well for aerial play?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Can’t move on the ground, jumping only

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Mike can walk across normal ground, it's just tiles he has to hop between for some reason. Dunno how you'd model that in smash though.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Mike can walk across normal ground, it's just tiles he has to hop between for some reason. Dunno how you'd model that in smash though.

Hrm, maybe his Up-B recovery is summoning a series of tiles he can hop across. You hit it and then input a secondary direction in which the tiles spawn, and then you hop from tile to tile, damaging anyone in the way/in the area the tiles appear.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Nintendo Labo will be a Snake-clone. By which I mean David.

PLA on
  • Options
    I just found out startropics never came out in Japan - I never really had known that

Explains a lot

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    No matter which characters get added or removed, I hope we finally get a vocal version of Pollyanna on the soundtrack. Sung by Sakurai himself if need be.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I hope we get 'do the mario'

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Long shot Smash wishlist:
    • Amaterasu (Okami)
    • Dovahkiin (Skyrim)
    • Annoying dog (Undertale)
    • Gregg (Night in the Woods)
    • Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer)
    • Wolf Link (Twilight Princess)
    • Ornstein & Smough (Dark Souls)

broken image link
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Longshot wish for new characters: not my idea, but Sami (Domino) from the Nintendo Wars series. Project M was going to use her as a stand-in for Solid Snake to avoid any potential beef from Konami, but the more I think about it, I feel like Bayonetta, Mega Man, and Gunner Mii show they can make gun-centric characters work well and I'd like to see them do something along those lines with Sami.
    6dczphg9h72d.pngaxzyd04b4z51.jpgp4nzz09tlf50.png
    If you're curious about the weapons (I had to look up photos to identify the one furthest right)
    1. M16 Rifle
    2. MP5 SMG
    3. M249 LMG (aka SAW)

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Rather just get an actual advance wars game but if that was possible it would have happened by now lol.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    No matter which characters get added or removed, I hope we finally get a vocal version of Pollyanna on the soundtrack. Sung by Sakurai himself if need be.

RE: soundtrack stuff, I'd love it if they included / had an optional download (for file size reasons) of all of the songs from previous games. Brawl especially had such a solid set of remixes and orchestrations, that going forward to Smash 4 and not having it all felt like a downgrade in some senses. I think it is great that they insist on making new music for each game, but if you've got such good material already it feels criminal to not use it.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    A few days late with this, but... played a lot of 8-man Smash U at Pax East, and a lot of 3-man as well. I had forgotten how good it is. It is quite good. Like, it's a pretty terrific refinement of the series in all ways. (Obviously.)

If Smash Switch is a port, I think I'll be okay with it.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    A few days late with this, but... played a lot of 8-man Smash U at Pax East, and a lot of 3-man as well. I had forgotten how good it is. It is quite good. Like, it's a pretty terrific refinement of the series in all ways. (Obviously.)

If Smash Switch is a port, I think I'll be okay with it.

That's part of the reason I'd be surprised if all the work for Smash 4 gets thrown out... it was damn solid and pretty much everybody loved it (well, aside from the MELEE OR DIE crowd).

But then, Sakurai gotta Sakurai.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Sakurai is not one for half measures, so I expect this to be completely distinct sequel.

I hope so too, since I didn't love SSB4.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    12 non-Nintendo characters I'd like to see (slashes indicate Bowser Jr/Koopaling set-ups):
    1. Simon (OG art)/Simon (SQ art)/Simon (modern design)/Trevor/Christopher/Richter/Leon/Sonia Belmont &...
      • uses whip/morning star for ranged grabs and as a tether
      • has Richter's slide-kick from SoTN as a crouching basic attack
      • B Use sub-weapon (Dagger, Axe, Cross boomerang, or Holy Water)
      • B Richter's soaring uppercut from SoTN
      • B Richter's charging special attack from SoTN (like Fox Illusion without the illusion)
      • B Spawn subweapon (random)
      • Final Smash: Item Crash (massive, flashy attacks that vary based on current subweapon; based on Richter in SoTN)
    2. Alucard from Castlevania
      • Alucard has a replenishing magic meter, all of his specials consume different amounts
      • Dash turns into wolf form, dash attack uses its special charging move animation, sidesteps & air dodges use mist form, rolls use back-dash animation
      • B Hellfire (Dracula & Alucard's slow short-range teleport & triple fireball combo)
      • B Bat Form (can fly for a time, very light & vulnerable in this form)
      • B Alucard's Sword special move (quickly teleports a medium distance forward, appears facing the other way to slash twice, then returns)
      • B Summon Familiar (behaves like Shulk's Monado Arts neutral special; familiars only remain for a short time)
        • 1-5 (random) Bats, who will swoop out one at a time, inflicting a light hit on enemies that hit you
        • Fairy will purge any negative special conditions and one loss-of-control effect
        • Ghost slowly flies towards the nearest enemy, but if it can latch on it will slow their motion down; rolling has a chance to shake it off
        • Imp occasionally casts a ranged attack spell at the last enemy you attacked, which does high shield damage
        • Sword guards your back, periodically darting out to perform a strong vertical circular slash on enemies that get within a certain distance behind you
      • Final Smash: Dark Metamorphosis (boosts Alucard's stats for a time, familiars don't expire, and causes his successful melee attacks to reduce his damage taken)
    3. Shovel Knight
      • following Mega Man's lead, would try to use any relics or upgrade abilities not mentioned below in various attacks (excluding Troupple Chalices), such as:
        • Drop Spark for down smash
        • Charge Handle for smash attack
        • Dust Knuckle for forward aerial
        • Phase Locket instead of rolling
      • Uses Fishing Rod as a tether for holds and recovery
      • B Throwing Anchor (like Castlevania's axe)
      • B Propeller Dagger (combines Custom Knights' Rising Dagger; works like Fire Fox but has increased distance the less vertical climb you attempt)
      • B Flare Wand (basic medium-strength horizontal projectile)
      • B Chaos Sphere (bouncing projectile, very strong, one at a time)
      • Final Smash: Blows War Horn (knocking away any enemies in a modest radius) & Shield Knight appears to assist similar to Enchantress fight
    4. Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden
      • B Flying Fire Wheel (ring of small fireballs that flies up at 45° angle)
      • B Jumpslash (extends katana into vertical slash while rapidly somersaulting)
      • B Windmill Shuriken (boomerang passes thru enemies & keeps reversing directions until Ryu catches it)
      • B Dragon Fireballs (large fireball that travels down at 45° angle)
      • Final Smash: Invincible Fire Wheel (become wreathed in small fireballs for a time) with 2x Shadow Clones (intangeable except attacks, copy Ryu's actions) for duration
    5. Quote/Curly Brace from Cave Story
      • Uses King's Sword for basic attacks (smashes send out ghost like Lv. 3 version)
      • B Spur (sorta like ray gun item, but can charge to fire increasingly wide beams)
      • B Booster 2.5 (works like Fire Fox)
      • B Super Missile Launcher (fires 3 hard-hitting missiles in a narrow spread)
      • B Fireball (powerful projectiles that bounce along ground & off walls for a time, up to 3 on-screen at a time)
      • Final Smash: The other android appears and follows you around on a tether Ice Climbers style, shooting in opposite direction you attack
    6. Shantae
      I haven't played Shantae yet, so I don't have any ideas for her, but she seems like a neat character who fits in well, and the series gets a lot of praise
    7. Frog from Chrono Trigger
      • moderately fast moving, with big jump, but basic attacks are slow & strong
      • ranged grab using tongue like the Slurp Cut tech, also uses it as a tether for recovery
      • B Water Spell (chargeable, turns from simple projectile to one that bursts to hit an area)
      • B Leap Slash (like Kirby's up special)
      • B Masa & Mune (attack with the spirits in sword, but reduces its strength; each Fox Illusions out, then hovers in place, press 3rd time & they'll X-Strike back to Frog)
      • B Parry & Riposte (typical Marthe-style counter move)
      • Final Smash: Frog Squash (just like his final tech; summons a giant frog to fall down on every foe on screen, hurts damaged foes more)
    8. Strider Hiryu
      • B Gram (Strider's massive superslash from the Marvel vs Capcom games)
      • B Vajra (ninja disappearing/reappearing trick, press A in-between to turn into divekick variant)
      • B Formation Options (launches shield drone forward, angle up for robot hawk to hit targets in air, angle down for robot panther to hit multiple ground targets)
      • B Plasma Forms (another Shulk's Monado Arts type move: temporarily activates an advanced form of Cypher blade)
        • Explosive Cypher (Smashes have the flame effect, Gram also explodes enemies for heavy shield damage)
        • Magnetic Cypher (Smashes fire a boomerang projectile that moves in a big loop, Gram reflects projectiles)
        • Ultra-Cold Cypher (Smashes & Gram gain freezing effect)
      • Final Smash: Ouroboros (two shield drones appear and orbit Strider, damaging enemies on contact, intercepting projectiles, and firing ring-shaped energy projectiles when Strider attacks)
    9. Knuckles &...
      • Can cling to and climb walls
      • B a super punch like Donkey Kong's Giant Punch neutral special
      • B Flaming Uppercut (from Sonic Advance)
      • B Spindash on ground, Glide-punch in mid-air
      • B Shovel Claw (burrows into ground for a moment & may spawn an item (abides Item Switch), or does that dive punch from Sonic Adventure in mid-air)
      • Final Smash: Hyper Knuckles (with new coloration; either rainbow sequence to match Hyper Sonic, or emerald green with golden chest stripe)
    10. Amy Rose from Sonic the Hedgehog
      • two-form character; her hammer throw special discards her hammer, which then behaves like a weak melee item until Amy retrieves it, & continuously respawns if eliminated from stage. Final Smash teleports it back to her
      • moves quickly but attacks like a slow heavy weight while holding hammer, behaves like a straight-forward fast lightweight without
      • B Homerun Hammer (Falcon Punch) or Tomboy Slap (Mario's Cape) without
      • B Hammer Spin (Link's spinslash) or Spinjump (Samus' Screw Attack)
      • B Hammer Throw (powerful projectile & activates alt mode) or Fangirl Glomp (moves like Fox Illusion, but halts at first foe and holds them)
      • B Hammer Vault (melee strike, buries or spikes enemy & launches Amy up) or Spindash
      • Final Smash: Arch Amy (magical-girl themed instead of super saiyan; moves like Super Sonic, basic attacks are smashes, special fires weak, mid-range aimable hearts)
    11. Chun-Li
      • B Kikoken (standard medium strength projectile)
      • B Tenshokyaku (rising high-angle series of roundhouse kicks)
      • B Spinning Bird Kick (upside-down split roundhouse that travels a medium distance horizontally without falling)
      • B Hienshu (very fast short vertical leap, with a forward somersault at the apex culminating in a steep dive kick, functionally a counter)
      • Final Smash: Kikosho (generates a massive rotating sphere of chi directly in front of her that traps & multi-hits enemies it contacts before exploding)
    12. Zits/Pimple/Rash from Battletoads
      • Can use tongue as a tether for holds or recovery
      • B Drilla Killa (punch where hand turns into a drill, works like Marth's Shieldbreaker neutral special)
      • B Spring Stomp (like Kirby's up-special; feet turn into springs to launch, then into an anvil to land)
      • B Hoverbike Charge (Falcon Kick)
      • B Double Axe Handle Strike (the Captain Kirk move with cartoonishly enlarged hands, buries/spikes opponent)
      • Final Smash: Pendulum Strike (grab onto a rappel line from above the stage; attacks semi-spike enemies, immune to hits during attack animation but will careen away)

Granted, some of these would probably be pretty broken as described (Chun-Li, Knuckles, & Shovel Knight for their recovery options, possibly also Alucard).

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I think the asinine "port or sequel" argument will be immensely complicated by the increasingly slender differences between sequels. By which I mean, Melee was more different from 64 than Brawl was from Melee, and likewise Brawl was a larger jump from Melee than 4 was from Brawl. The tendency to retain as much old content as possible (particularly in terms of characters) basically requires that they reuse an increasing proportion of their old assets and physics. So I suspect at least one person out there is going to say, in all seriousness, that despite the 10 new characters, different Arcade mode, changed items, new stages, revised Special Smash settings, and so on and so forth, that Smash 5 is really just an enhanced port, and actually mean it, just because the game-feel is kinda Smash 4-ish.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd be pretty bummed if such a good installation of Smash were relegated to the relative downer that was the Wii-U.

• Options
    Really the only way the port or sequel thing will ever get definitively settled is if we get a detailed rundown of the game's development.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Alucard could have a Genya Arikado costume. Which would just be him in a nice black suit.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Really the only way the port or sequel thing will ever get definitively settled is if we get a detailed rundown of the game's development.

I don’t think that anyone would say 4 was a port of brawl, even if there weren’t the graphics update

CD World Tour status:
  • Options

I don’t think that anyone would say 4 was a port of brawl, even if there weren’t the graphics update

That's because development of 4 didn't start until well after Brawl, while development of 5 started before 4 was even finished.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular

That's because development of 4 didn't start until well after Brawl, while development of 5 started before 4 was even finished.

Where was that stated? I must have missed that.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    eelektrik wrote: »

Where was that stated? I must have missed that.

Never officially, but there were job listings for a Smash Bros 6 before 3DS and Wii U came out.

• Options
    To add another potential finagle to the issue: there's certainly a chance they follow suit with Smash 4 and call this one "Super Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch". Which even if they give Ganondorf a new moveset, change the way shields work, and change Rage to a button-activated super mode that you charge up by dealing and taking damage, will be taken as incontrovertible proof that it's a port and not a true sequel.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I think the asinine "port or sequel" argument will be immensely complicated by the increasingly slender differences between sequels. By which I mean, Melee was more different from 64 than Brawl was from Melee, and likewise Brawl was a larger jump from Melee than 4 was from Brawl. The tendency to retain as much old content as possible (particularly in terms of characters) basically requires that they reuse an increasing proportion of their old assets and physics. So I suspect at least one person out there is going to say, in all seriousness, that despite the 10 new characters, different Arcade mode, changed items, new stages, revised Special Smash settings, and so on and so forth, that Smash 5 is really just an enhanced port, and actually mean it, just because the game-feel is kinda Smash 4-ish.

While I don't necessarily disagree with the general claim, that's quite an exaggeration. Brawl and SSB4 are very different games.

• Options

I don't think people would have called 4 a port even if it came out the very same day

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Smash 5 playable at E3.
    Nintendo today detailed its plans for E3 2018, and among the most interesting details is that the new Super Smash Bros. title for Switch will be playable on the show floor. During show hours on June 12-14, you can visit Nintendo's booth at the Los Angeles Convention Center to be among the first in the world to play the highly anticipated fighting game.

Those willing to brave surely long lines will also get to play "a variety" of other titles, though Nintendo did not announced any specific games. The company also said that some of the "most noteworthy" third-party games for Switch will be "featured across several Nintendo activities throughout the week," though it's unclear if these will be playable on the show floor.

Nintendo's E3 briefing will take place at 9 AM PT on Tuesday, June 12 in the form of a video presentation instead of a live show like Microsoft, Sony, Bethesda, Ubisoft, and EA do. Immediately after this show, Nintendo will kick off its annual Treehouse Live programming, which is three days of gameplay reveals, developer discussions, and more. The show will kick off with, you guessed it, Super Smash Bros. for Switch. This will all be streamed live.

As it's done in recent years, Nintendo's E3 showing will focus on games that are coming out soon. As you'd expect, Smash Bros. for Switch is getting a "special spotlight" in a headlining role for the show. Nintendo said it will wait for a later date to showcase titles coming after 2018.

June 12th...

• Options
    I don't think we'll hear anything about the game till E3 then. But June 12th is gonna be a total blowout..first proper trailer during the video briefing most likely plus maybe a couple new character trailers, lots of footage during Treehouse Live and then the tournament to cap it all off.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Aren't all games enhanced ports?

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Aren't all games enhanced ports?

Your face is an enhanced port.

• Options
    Hey how do I edit that google form I need to enhance my poll

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Hey how do I edit that google form I need to enhance my poll

If anyone figures it out, let me know. I havent found the option either. But I am confident that I told it to give people the option... though not confident enough to avoid checking it once I'm home from work.

• Options
    Yeah after I submitted it, I believe there was an option to edit - it’s just after navigating away, there was no way back

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    According to this support response, there is no easy way for a user to edit their response after the fact. So, I'll declare a new policy: if you want to update your response, just send me a PM saying that you'd like to re-do your response. I will send you back your response as given, and then delete your original response from the form so you can re-submit. I am not going to place a limit on the number of times you can update your response, but I will ask that you at least try to make sure that you have reasonable confidence in your entry before submitting it.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Nintendo allegedly says that Smash Switch will be playable on the show floor:

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Long shot Smash wishlist:
    • Amaterasu (Okami)
    • Dovahkiin (Skyrim)
    • Annoying dog (Undertale)
    • Gregg (Night in the Woods)
    • Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer)
    • Wolf Link (Twilight Princess)
    • Ornstein & Smough (Dark Souls)
    I'd say Dark Souls is more likely to be represented by things such as:
    • Trophies.
    • Assist Trophy: Solaire.
    • Soapstones (call NPC phantoms of various colors as stage hazards).
    • Humanity (heals you, random chance of an NPC invader).
    • Firelink Shrine stage, because Dark Souls is no one person, but the setting. Given the obsession with charming detail, I expect no less a seated Crestfallen Warrior, random appearances by Lautrec, Frampt, and the Giant Crow, plus item trading with Snuggly.
    • If there's still a feature equivalent to Mii Fighters, various Dark Souls gear to wear.
    Solaire is too close to the numerous sword fighters Smash already has, plus he's the original SunBro; of course he'd be an assist trophy. The only other truly iconic character would be Artorias, and his move set is quite distinct from other sword fighters. While I don't think it likely to happen, I'd say Artorias would make a more unique contribution as a fighter.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Assist Trophy Solaire would be pretty perfect. I imagine he'd show up as a gold Phantom and hurl lightning bolts at people.

This discussion has been closed.