As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] New Event, New Thread. Get a Move On!

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Bleh

Good job farming internet karma! I've yet to find an item I'd use my stones for T_T

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So I know my opinion doesn't mean jack to Square or DeNa, but I've realized that I don't really like the existence of SSBs and soon to be BSSBs.

Not just because they break the game. I don't like that. Specifically BSSBs.

But the real reason I don't like them is because they completely warp and skew the way I (we) spend mithril. Even to the point where I'm missing out on some great normal SB relics, just because I'm saving my mithril for the SSB/BSSBs. I mean, I know Cloud's BSSB is still many months off, and there are many events between now and then.

But given how absolutely strong it is, I'd rather put all of my eggs into that basket, metaphorically speaking. And I think most of the rest of this community feels the same. Now that the Vale is over and the SSB banners are gone, everyone seems to be in hoard and stockpile mode.

That means, for all intents and purposes, the relics that get released between now and the Cloud Advent Children event might as well not even exist, because I (we) won't be putting much or any mithril at all into pulls.

And that's a shame.

That's why I don't like the existence of BSSBs. I'm gonna miss out on tons of other great items along the way, and I will miss out on building strong record synergies in multiple realms, all because the existence of these ultra-powerful beyond belief weapons exist.

If it takes me 300+ mithril to get Cloud's BSSB then so be it. Obviously in a perfect world I'll get it early and have mithril left over to spend on other relics or to save for the BSSB celebration that will be along after Cloud's event. But I am fully prepared to dump 6 months worth of mithril hoarding into his sword if that's what it takes.

And that's bad game design, in my opinion.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Just so you guys know the Blue Dragon in FF VI's Ancient Castle greets you with a Tsunami. Hit for 600ish with Shellga/Lulu's Focus and 200 ish Res.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So I know my opinion doesn't mean jack to Square or DeNa, but I've realized that I don't really like the existence of SSBs and soon to be BSSBs.

But the real reason I don't like them is because they completely warp and skew the way I (we) spend mithril. Even to the point where I'm missing out on some great normal SB relics, just because I'm saving my mithril for the SSB/BSSBs. I mean, I know Cloud's BSSB is still many months off, and there are many events between now and then.

But given how absolutely strong it is, I'd rather put all of my eggs into that basket, metaphorically speaking. And I think most of the rest of this community feels the same. Now that the Vale is over and the SSB banners are gone, everyone seems to be in hoard and stockpile mode.

That means, for all intents and purposes, the relics that get released between now and the Cloud Advent Children event might as well not even exist, because I (we) won't be putting much or any mithril at all into pulls.

And that's a shame.

That's why I don't like the existence of BSSBs. I'm gonna miss out on tons of other great items along the way, and I will miss out on building strong record synergies in multiple realms, all because the existence of these ultra-powerful beyond belief weapons exist.

If it takes me 300+ mithril to get Cloud's BSSB then so be it. Obviously in a perfect world I'll get it early and have mithril left over to spend on other relics or to save for the BSSB celebration that will be along after Cloud's event. But I am fully prepared to dump 6 months worth of mithril hoarding into his sword if that's what it takes.

Honestly, I'm not even a fan of soul breaks being tied to the gambling/mythril thing. I'd much rather unique soul breaks were earned like record materia, and record materia/shared soul breaks were tied to gambled gear.

The starter soul breaks are so terrible, that unless there's some incredibly pressing need, if I don't have a soul break for someone, they're just not going into my party.

Narbus on
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular

And that's a shame.

Firstly, I will agree BSSBs are well above the power creep curve we have been seeing. SSBs are about right, slightly more powerful SBs while giving one character a stat buff fits as the next step in the gatcha.

That said, we really are getting future information months ahead relative the Japanese advancement of the game.

There is also some good reasons to pull earlier unless you are already able to clear current content. The only real problem is if later they assuming you have BSSBs when they balance future content.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

And that's a shame.

It's only bad game design if you forget this is essentially a really high production value slot machine. High impact items draw in $$$ and are therefore desirable.

I recommend just 5 mythril pulling every banner though. Why not?

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Luckily, unlike P&D you don't really need to get BSSB or SSB or SBs even. The difficulty is quite reasonable to the point where people can beat the hardest content with cores with free equipment, or with only two characters, or with a naked party.

Also I like that you can get your favorite characters by completing the dungeons, you don't need to pull and hope to get them. I can live with the vast majority of them gently nudging things for their default SB.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Except that it isn't that easy. Maybe some random person on the internet with the luck of the gods is able to do those kind of things. But for us peasants with poor luck and poor RNG, we struggle with the harder fights.

I was unable to even complete the 120 fight in the Krile/Faris event, and I haven't attempted the 140 yet in the Rikku event, but considering I only got expert on the 99 version of the same thing, I'm thinking the 140 is gonna be exceptionally difficult or un-completable.

I also was unable to complete the Omega Weapon during the Vale because I couldn't keep him stopped long enough to do anything. I think on my best attempt I got it to about 50% before I ran out of Stop charges.

I'm very frightened that I will be unable to complete the Ultima Weapon 6-star ability fight in a couple months.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    First off, they're not lucky; they're persistent. There are usually hours of behind the scenes party tweaking and S/L to achieve those clears.

Second, unless it's an Advantaliate clear, they're usually using heavily honed 4* (and 5*) Abilities, which anyone can have if they commit to the grind.

I'd argue 5* items with synergy are a luxury, not a necessity.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Except that it isn't that easy. Maybe some random person on the internet with the luck of the gods is able to do those kind of things. But for us peasants with poor luck and poor RNG, we struggle with the harder fights.

I was unable to even complete the 120 fight in the Krile/Faris event, and I haven't attempted the 140 yet in the Rikku event, but considering I only got expert on the 99 version of the same thing, I'm thinking the 140 is gonna be exceptionally difficult or un-completable.

I also was unable to complete the Omega Weapon during the Vale because I couldn't keep him stopped long enough to do anything. I think on my best attempt I got it to about 50% before I ran out of Stop charges.

I'm very frightened that I will be unable to complete the Ultima Weapon 6-star ability fight in a couple months.

A lot of the difficulty in the game can be ironed out with well honed abilities. Often you see these "random" players doing feats like this because they figure out the fight, what is essential in it, and then fill out the rest.

There are some fights which people struggled with for instance that could essentially be "gamed" with a single character like Cloud and specific abilities. The enemy maybe only does physical attacks, so having one character with a Loner RM and Retaliate means that you don't need someone who can use Draw Fire + Retaliate, plus you do absurd damage with the bonus from Loner.

Some of the other fights have bosses that are weak against a particular Status effect that isn't listed on the "tips" which can often trivilize the fight. Other times they come up with crazy ability combos that only really work against a specific boss.

Stuff like that, basically there is a subset of the community that likes to challenge themselves and beat the content with as minimal of a group as possible. It doesn't require crazy gear or RNG, but instead is about proper abilities, levels, and a mastery of the fight in question.

Your example on Omega is a good example of this, if you had more Stop Hones you probably would have been fine. That's not based on RNG and you can't buy orbs. That's just having played the game long enough to collect what you need.

The main limits I run into personally are hones on my abilities, which I imagine is the same for most everyone. This is why you see people farming the dailies so much and trying to get orbs, so they can get more hones on the abilities they use the most, and have orbs if they need to hone up more obscure abilities for use.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    First off, they're not lucky; they're persistent. There are usually hours of behind the scenes party tweaking and S/L to achieve those clears.

Second, unless it's an Advantaliate clear, they're usually using heavily honed 4* (and 5*) Abilities, which anyone can have if they commit to the grind.

5* abilities are certainly not achievable with sufficient hones for the masses currently. Major Orbs are a very previous commododity and not at all generally avaiable if you can't beat high end content. Yes you can get a lot for free, but the right amounts of the right ones are not consistently possible currently. When we get Orb conversion sure, but until then there is not a lot someone can do to up their rate of Magic Urns and the drop rate of Major Orbs from said Urnsb

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I didn't even know major orbs can drop from urns. I've never seen one. Same goes for 5* upgrade materials or growth eggs. Can those drop from urns as well? for eggs, it's even rare that I see a 4*. I usually see the same drops that I see from normal enemies.

• Options
    Agree to disagree then. I put a TON of time and attempts into both the Omega event as well as the Melusine event before it expired. I've also experimented with multiple builds for Yunalesca, including an Advantaliate build (which I am opposed to because it's a lame hax build) but I used it anyway. And it still didn't work for me.

Perhaps I'm just bad at this game. But I'd like to think that since I was able to get mastery on the 110 and 120 of the Rikku event that there's a solution out there for Mastery on the 99 Yunalesca and the 140 Yunalesca.

I'm sad that I didn't get the Omega Weapon, but I don't think a 5* accessory is gonna make or break future events so I'm not super torn up about that one.

It's just frustrating to have really good synergy with FFX, high level FFX dudes, and still be unable to complete these events. Maybe it's hones. Maybe it's gear. I don't know. But I really struggle with some fights. And other fights I breeze right through.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    SSBs are mostly fine, and BSSBs are far enough away and the banner for cloud's is so bad that i'm not going to really give much of a crap for that until the festival.

but generally I think the festivals are the best place to spend mythril by far, and outside of special banners like tactics, i'm just saving my f2p coins for them.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »

5* abilities are certainly not achievable with sufficient hones for the masses currently. Major Orbs are a very previous commododity and not at all generally avaiable if you can't beat high end content. Yes you can get a lot for free, but the right amounts of the right ones are not consistently possible currently. When we get Orb conversion sure, but until then there is not a lot someone can do to up their rate of Magic Urns and the drop rate of Major Orbs from said Urnsb

One the flip side there haven't been any bosses yet that have required 5* ability. Full break is great and all, but the mitigation can be achieved from breakdowns or protection spells in its spot.

Everything else is just more damage and considering the low hones ultimately gets beat out by a well honed 4* equivilant.

Outside of the gatcha the player has control of their parties levels, and ability selection to make progress.

@Lucascraft ironically Cloud's BSSB will not help you in the slightest on Ultima weapon. If you're concerned about that start pulling on good mage banners.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    SSB's are fine, BSSB'S are broken.

And character specific limit breaks tied to weapons is just wrong, save for like, final weapon limit breaks.

Give me the gatcha system tied to weapons, and instead of unique limits, equipment synergy to the character who "owns" the weapon.

• Options
    Agree to disagree then. I put a TON of time and attempts into both the Omega event as well as the Melusine event before it expired. I've also experimented with multiple builds for Yunalesca, including an Advantaliate build (which I am opposed to because it's a lame hax build) but I used it anyway. And it still didn't work for me.

Perhaps I'm just bad at this game. But I'd like to think that since I was able to get mastery on the 110 and 120 of the Rikku event that there's a solution out there for Mastery on the 99 Yunalesca and the 140 Yunalesca.

I'm sad that I didn't get the Omega Weapon, but I don't think a 5* accessory is gonna make or break future events so I'm not super torn up about that one.

It's just frustrating to have really good synergy with FFX, high level FFX dudes, and still be unable to complete these events. Maybe it's hones. Maybe it's gear. I don't know. But I really struggle with some fights. And other fights I breeze right through.

Do you have Gilgamesh or his memory crystal? Or Tyros? Growth eggs? I think we can probably get you something to clear the X +++ and maybe even ultimate. Definitely can master the 99.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I have Gilgamesh. I have his MC1. He's like level 23. I have no eggs.

I've got Tyro. I recently dumped an entire shload of eggs into him. He's 53. I've got a 7 star Sentinel Grimoire because of dumb RNG.

Regarding the Ultima Weapon in a few months, I know it's coming and I know it exists, but I don't really know any specifics of the fight. Are non-mages not even allowed to enter the fight? I know only 5* Black Mages get synergy, but having synergy is different from being allowed to enter. I don't know any of the strategy or anything for that fight yet.

But as far as Black Mages go, Rinoa is my best, because I've got her MC2 and I got Cardinal. I also have Lulu's mog doll relic. And I have Ashe's runeblade, but I have never used Ashe at all, past throwing her into a few noob teams for trivial content. She's <30.

• Options

This might seem like a weird question, but what battle speed do you use? For big fights, I tend to go on 2, since it reduces the amount of ATB the boss can gather while I'm inputting commands and picking targets.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular

I dunno. I mastered 99 Yunalesca on my first attempt, and I only have one natural five-star FFX relic. I'm finding this event as a whole substantially easier than the previous one, really. I'm enjoying some realm synergy with Tidus, Yuna, and Wakka, but none of them are over 55 (I do have Rinoa at like 71, which helps). For me I think it was just luck? She literally never used a Holy. I did have to S/L from a mass confuse once, but only once.

Sometimes the RNG just hates you. On the FFV event I spent forever trying to clear the goddamn boss rush. I couldn't get Stop off on the boss before it spawned flowers (literally ever, not once did I finish the cast in time), I have zero mass attack spells (no big summons, no ruinga, no quake), and it pelted me with incapacitating status effects every single time I fought it.

Tried again the next day and beat it the first time. Not a single Confuse, Paralyze, or Dark status landed on anyone in my party the whole fight.

Game's just weird!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Sounds like you need to spend more time on Sunday EXP.

You have a wall (Tyro) and a Medica (Ashe). If you listen to the hype on Reddit, you should be ahead of the curve. Looks like it's just levels you need.

• Options

I've got Tyro. I recently dumped an entire shload of eggs into him. He's 53. I've got a 7 star Sentinel Grimoire because of dumb RNG.

Regarding the Ultima Weapon in a few months, I know it's coming and I know it exists, but I don't really know any specifics of the fight. Are non-mages not even allowed to enter the fight? I know only 5* Black Mages get synergy, but having synergy is different from being allowed to enter. I don't know any of the strategy or anything for that fight yet.

But as far as Black Mages go, Rinoa is my best, because I've got her MC2 and I got Cardinal. I also have Lulu's mog doll relic. And I have Ashe's runeblade, but I have never used Ashe at all, past throwing her into a few noob teams for trivial content. She's <30.

Okay. Do you have/can you make:
    draw fire
    double cut
    tempo flurry
    shellga
    protectga
    power breakdown
    curaga x 2
    (Double Cut RM)
    Either Dragoon's Determination or Self-Sacrifice

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Speaking of Medica, I think I need to level Eiko, whether I want to or not. Golem Flute dropping seemed to see to that. I guess I shouldn't complain, since WHM/SMN seems like a pretty powerful combo, and hastega anything is good, but I spend so much time getting Lenna up to high levels. Selphie too, now that I have Trabia's Light, but she doesn't seem as great

Javen on
  • Options
    Run both?

Lenna as your healer, Eiko as your summoner. Eiko also can run Mana Paen.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

This might seem like a weird question, but what battle speed do you use? For big fights, I tend to go on 2, since it reduces the amount of ATB the boss can gather while I'm inputting commands and picking targets.

Speed 1 life for anything over 90 difficulty boss. Makes my S/Ls be slightly heartbreaking at 10%, but the boss attacks instantly, I should get as close to instantly as I can, and even 2 can take a bit before I input a command, especially if I have to decide on something.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LOL The boss in the Abyss dungeon actually counters any physical attack with 100% hit death apparently.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

Speed 1 life for anything over 90 difficulty boss. Makes my S/Ls be slightly heartbreaking at 10%, but the boss attacks instantly, I should get as close to instantly as I can, and even 2 can take a bit before I input a command, especially if I have to decide on something.

Does that mess with your buff durations at all? I know things like haste last for 25-30 seconds, and going on the lowest speed feels like they would run out super fast comparative to actions taken.

• Options

Does that mess with your buff durations at all? I know things like haste last for 25-30 seconds, and going on the lowest speed feels like they would run out super fast comparative to actions taken.

It's speed 3 seconds, not actual seconds.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    38thDoe wrote: »

Okay. Do you have/can you make:
    draw fire
    double cut
    tempo flurry
    shellga
    protectga
    power breakdown
    curaga x 2
    (Double Cut RM)
    Either Dragoon's Determination or Self-Sacrifice

Number of uses:

Draw Fire - 4 (I use this ability a lot on PCecil)
    Double Cut - 8
    Tempo Flurry - 8
    Shellga - 4
    Protectga - 2
    Power Breakdown - do not own
    Curaga - 12 and Curaja - 6
    Double Hit RM - yes
    Self Sacrifice - yes

• Options

Ahh. I did not know this! What's the difference in duration between speeds?

• Options

Ahh. I did not know this! What's the difference in duration between speeds?

Not sure, but it's a lot. Speed 1 is way slower than 3. When I get doomed and the counter appears on screen it's ultra slow.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I normally play at speed 3, but I turned the speed down to 1 for Omega and for Melusine. It did seem to help with Omega, but I just ran out of Stop hones. For the record, I've got 8 charges of Stop on one spell and 6 on another. So it was 14 total casts. They just wore off so fast. 50% was all I could muster.

Melusine it seemed like more of a luck thing and speed didn't matter. Either I landed sleep or I didn't. And then I ran out of fire spells, so I had to let her barrier shift. I packed ice as my backup, and I just never got lucky and had a winning combination of landing sleeps AND barrier shifting to ice. It seemed like I either landed my sleeps and then she'd barrier shift to not-ice, or I'd miss on sleeps and she'd barrier shift to ice but it didn't matter because I was dead because sleep missed.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Measuring in seconds seemed pointless to me, because we have different battle speeds. Exactly how long is a second? I wish they'd use turns, but even then, with multiple buffs and debuffs lasting different amounts of time, I can barely keep track of Retaliate and Breakdowns. Then add in Haste which changes the timings further.

I really wish they would add a UI for all of this.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited January 2016

All those 6* fights are heavily biased in one regard or another. The first is all about having heavy magic power, the second heavy physical power (but not retaliate based). But it's also three months off, so plenty of time to prepare.

I agree with shamus (except Ashe is not a reliable medica person) sounds like it's just levels that are holding you back from current high game content. Luckily you have access to Sundays exp day to bulk up to at the least have a ret team to master elite Yunalesca.

Something like:
    Auron ret/armor break
    Tyro shelga/double cut (Mako might if availible)
    Yuna protectaga/Curaga (double hit materia if you have it)
    Tidus Tempo flurry/buff
    Wakka double hit/physical breakdown

Obviously depend on what levels you have for them, good alternates, Rikku, Celes, Golbez for either bottom spot, Cloud, Sephiroth in place of Auron. Only Yuna and Tyro are really mandatory.

Bluecyan on
  • Options
    And if you don't like using Retaliate, may I introduce Bartz?

He can use Steal Power (the best), Celerity 4* (the best), Spellblade 5* (the best), and can practically equip every weapon (the best). Bartz is the best.

It was so hard resisting the urge to go crazy for Brave Blade. The Cardinal/Organics banners taught me patience.

• Options
    Yeah, I was planning on hitting Sunday's EXP daily pretty hard with my main team. Auron is obviously capped at 65. But I can continue to raise Cloud, Sephiroth, P Cecil, Rinoa, and Lenna, because those are the people I have MC2's for. Oh and Wakka now too I guess.

I did not take Tyro's MC2 during the Vale, because I spent my MC2 purchase crystals before I popped 3 copies of his Sentinels Grimoire. So he's gonna be stuck at 65 once I get him there. Side note: when is the next time Tyro's MC2 will be available? I'd like to get it.

• Options
    The Hall of Rites thing and the unlocks will be brought back permanently eventually. Not too sure the exact date, but it's a great idea for people starting out or missing a few key characters.

• Options
    Chambers of ritual stuff I believe is when blank MCs I/II start dropping. So about three months. Of your current crew only Cloud should be the main focus fo Mako might, others are just nice for levels sake.

• Options
    The only named character I'm currently missing is Quina and I think she was only recently added via story update. I'm also missing a few generics, but I'm not as concerned with them. And they're all tied to story I haven't gotten to yet.

I'm admittedly pretty far behind on story. I'm at 103 Stamina.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I can't wait for Fang's Event, and getting Lifesiphon.

Leon will have infinite SB charges for HotE.

Shamus on
This discussion has been closed.