Options

Obama made a move on Gun Control

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Just watched Biden talk on CNN.

I've never heard him talk before, but he's really fucking eloquent. Like, sheesh.

Let's get a Bernie Sanders/Biden ticket going. That'd be impressive.

I watched that, and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

The whole 'fairweather income equality' dig on Hillary is warranted, imo, because it's definitely noticeable. She didn't start talking about it until EVERYONE started talking about it, including Republicans. But I disagree with his assessment that Bernie has 'sufficiently come around' on gun control. He's still got a long way to go. You can tell Obama WANTS strong gun control, but he knows he can't get it, so he does what he can because anything is better than nothing. If we get a President who is indifferent, like Bernie is, we could easily see Congress taking advantage and try to run back the ball on any progress Obama may make with the recent EO.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Is that Ammon Bundy occupation still going on? I haven't heard anything about it on NPR (my only news source these days.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Is that Ammon Bundy occupation still going on? I haven't heard anything about it on NPR (my only news source these days.

Yes, but nothing is happening, which is a good thing. They've taken to destroying property (cutting down barbed wire fences) to try and illicit a response, but the feds haven't really done anything about it yet. Admittedly, these people WANT a response, so doing nothing until people really lose interest may be for the best.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    at this point i'm loath to call that sort of thing news

speaking of which, does anyone have any news sources here on the net they respect? most of the ones I was reading have faded away, i'm looking for some new ones.

Al Jazeera America is really, really good. Unrivaled international coverage, critical and incisive national coverage, and it's the literal-only mainstream outlet whose indigenous coverage is worth a damn.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

speaking of which, does anyone have any news sources here on the net they respect? most of the ones I was reading have faded away, i'm looking for some new ones.

Al Jazeera America is really, really good. Unrivaled international coverage, critical and incisive national coverage, and it's the literal-only mainstream outlet whose indigenous coverage is worth a damn.

Which is a really tough pill to swallow considering they're state owned by a country that practices slavery and their executives have a terrible history of creating racist and sexist work environments.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Yes, but nothing is happening, which is a good thing. They've taken to destroying property (cutting down barbed wire fences) to try and illicit a response, but the feds haven't really done anything about it yet. Admittedly, these people WANT a response, so doing nothing until people really lose interest may be for the best.

I saw articles where they ordered pizza and now some "peacekeepers" are coming in from around the country with guns to impartially moderate at the periphery

So that's fun

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    When did it become acceptable to ratchet all opinion of your opposition into the stratosphere, calling them Nazis and Demons?

10,000 BC - the invention of language.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

Which is a really tough pill to swallow considering they're state owned by a country that practices slavery and their executives have a terrible history of creating racist and sexist work environments.

It's operated and managed completely independently of Al Jazeera, but yeah, it's still gross that it has to live in that shadow. If there were any better alternatives, believe me, I'd take them.

But like, this story is one of the absolute best pieces of indigenous journalism I read last year. It's heartbreaking, incredible work, the kind no other (mainstream) outlet is anywhere close to doing. It's the kind of work I've never seen outside Indian Country Today. I've gotta give it up to them, even though their parent company is fucked up.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Saw on the news last night that the Oregon occupiers are cleaning and organizing the stuff in the building and doing maintenance work and shit.

Which like, good on them for that, at least. At least they're total pricks.

Also I think Bernie being indifferent on gun control is very much a result of his state politics. Lots of hunting and such up in Vermont, and if he's liable to his state constituents, well, that's a thing. But I also think that if he were to be at the federal level we would definitely see some change in his attitude. Bernie and Biden are both populists. Will of the people and all that.

• Options

It's operated and managed completely independently of Al Jazeera, but yeah, it's still gross that it has to live in that shadow. If there were any better alternatives, believe me, I'd take them.

But like, this story is one of the absolute best pieces of indigenous journalism I read last year. It's heartbreaking, incredible work, the kind no other (mainstream) outlet is anywhere close to doing. It's the kind of work I've never seen outside Indian Country Today. I've gotta give it up to them, even though their parent company is fucked up.

The AJAM management has been accused of shit too not just the parent company

http://jezebel.com/how-al-jazeera-america-went-from-a-home-for-idealists-t-1703931763

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    has obama taken away all our guns yet?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

personally

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Al Jazeera was the first network to let me know about a drug that melts your skin and you do not want to know the name.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I just checked and I'm reporting : not at this time

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I like The Guardian for news, though I'm sure it's considered left-leaning. But I find their news coverage to be good.

• Options

The AJAM management has been accused of shit too not just the parent company

http://jezebel.com/how-al-jazeera-america-went-from-a-home-for-idealists-t-1703931763

Gross.

I really wish there was a major news organization that hadn't pulled some sexist shit.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

personally

I blame the fact that I don't go to the gym on Obama, does that count?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Well, since his announcement, I have no guns, so I guess he must have.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Same here, but I expect to hear ... ummm .... thug-booted jacks any minute now.

Wait, no, it's liberal fascetionists, tight?

No?

Wait, I got this: libel fashionistas led by Connie O'Bummers!

• Options

No?

Goons, sir. Hired goons.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hired goons?

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Al jazeera english has had some significant editorial bias in the past. I remember a story in Egypt's "arab spring" stuff about many reporters for aljazeera quitting, because the network would not publish the stories coming out that were critical of the recently in power muslim brotherhood. Something to do with the politics of their financial backers. I don't know how connected to AJAM they are, but editorial censorship like that can be hard to spot so I'm not inclined to trust them too much. The individual articles can be good from what I remember, but that's not the whole story.

Also, the things in that jezebel story are vile.

The guardian is okay to me. I don't really like checking them too frequently, because so much of their coverage is gasping liberal bullshit. I happen to agree with a lot of the stances they take, but I find the tone is often toxic to thinking. They do actually have news though, and I learn things from checking them, at least sometimes.

NPR's not bad, if a bit too conventional in their philosophies for me sometimes. But, their spread is pretty thin. Some big stories I see elsewhere just don't show up there.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

No?

Goons, sir. Hired goons.

And to think I trusted them and their guileless faces.

goonies.jpg

• Options
    Hired goons?

Obama prefers that personal touch.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Hired goons?

Well they don't work for free.

• Options
    EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular

well I don't own a gun, so I assume the answer is yes

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Obama took my paintball gun to go play with his friends over the weekend and never gave it back, I think Biden broke it

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    What do those wackadoos in Oregon hope to accomplish, anyways? Like, what was their goal when they went up there, what is their goal now? I'm honestly quite perplexed.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    What do those wackadoos in Oregon hope to accomplish, anyways? Like, what was their goal when they went up there, what is their goal now? I'm honestly quite perplexed.

Their unstated goal is to coax a negative response from the federal government, to advance their narrative that the government is a boogie-man who will knock you down at the mere mention of civil disobedience. They really want to increase the perception that there's a massive chasm between 'the government' and 'the people', and weren't really get anywhere by themselves, so they're seeking to emulate other compound/standoff situations (though without them dying) since those tend to be moments of catastrophic PR for the feds.

EDIT: As far as their stated goal, it's so vague as to be non-existant. They want "land" (unspecified what land) to be given back to the "people" (unspecified which people). Since it's ranchers, they probably just want more land without having to pay for it, or the rights to use it.

Javen on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I thought it had something to do with cows, but that seemed like one of those false motives to me.

So, they're going to forget the whole thing in a week's time and then the rest of us will forget the next day, basically? Cool, cool.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Their unstated goal is to coax a negative response from the federal government, to advance their narrative that the government is a boogie-man who will knock you down at the mere mention of civil disobedience. They really want to increase the perception that there's a massive chasm between 'the government' and 'the people', and weren't really get anywhere by themselves, so they're seeking to emulate other compound/standoff situations (though without them dying) since those tend to be moments of catastrophic PR for the feds.

And for once, the feds, god bless 'em, seem to be on the same page and don't seem interested in playing along.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    They want a farmer who was arrested for arson on federal land released, and they want the park opened to loggers and farmers for commercial use

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    They want a farmer who was arrested for arson on federal land released, and they want the park opened to loggers and farmers for commercial use

They mentioned the farmer, until he and his son said that they're idiots and are going to surrender, so they don't care about that anymore.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Man, when even the guy who you are trying to petition out of jail via illegal activities thinks you're an asshole...

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Oregon judge proposes militia pay $75,000 a day for occupying refuge
    A local judge in Oregon has raised the prospect of making the armed militia occupying a federal wildlife refuge pay as much as $75,000 a day for the toll the standoff is costing the rural county.

Harney County judge Steve Grasty, a vocal critic of the militia, estimates that the armed occupation led by cattle rancher Ammon Bundy cost the community roughly $60,000 to $75,000 each day of the first week of the occupation.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I don't see them being able to collect

• Options
    edited January 2016

The federal land they want available for grazing is available for grazing they just have to actually fucking pay for it. Their ranching stance is fucking nonsense. They claim they own the land they illegally graze on because supposedly their ancestors grazed there before the USBLM existed which for some reason to them means they shouldn't have to recognize its authority. But even if that made sense (which it sure as hell doesn't) their claim of ownership doesn't hold any water because they don't maintain the land they were grazing on the Fed does. To make things even more ridiculous, the Fed only charges 7% of current market value because the regulations of what they can charge hasn't been updated in forever. A vast majority of the funding that goes to maintaining that land is from tax dollars which essentially means these "limited government patriots" are completely dependent on government assistance.

If the US government decided to somehow recognize ownership of the land these idiots claim they want their cost of ranching would skyrocket because they'd have to actually maintain the land themselves. But they don't actually want that. They just want to graze or farm at no cost to them. There's a word for that: WELFARE

Butters on
  • Options

The federal land they want available for grazing is available for grazing they just have to actually fucking pay for it. Their ranching stance is fucking nonsense. They claim they own the land they illegally graze on because supposedly their ancestors grazed there before the USBLM existed which for some reason to them means they shouldn't have to recognize its authority. But even if that made sense (which it sure as hell doesn't) their claim of ownership doesn't hold any water because they don't maintain the land they were grazing on the Fed does. To make things even more ridiculous, the Fed only charges 7% of current market value because the regulations of what they can charge hasn't been updated in forever. A vast majority of the funding that goes to maintaining that land is from tax dollars which essentially means these "limited government patriots" are completely dependent on government assistance.

If the US government decided to somehow recognize ownership of the land these idiots claim they want they're cost of ranching would skyrocket because they'd have to actually maintain the land themselves. But they don't actually want that. They just want to graze or farm at no cost to them. There's a word for that: WELFARE

Plenty of people's ancestors used to own land that the government owns now. Eminent domain, yo.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I don't see them being able to collect

And worse, a local judge publicly stating what the punishment should be before charges have been brought, much less a trial, may have just blown a huge hole in the ability to convict them of anything

EDIT: Except now that I think of it, it would be federal charges, right? They've taken a federally owned building...

chromdom on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm fairly certain a fine can be made against someone without being taken to trial, like speeding tickets and shit.

Basically just like: well, this is how much we're fining you, so when you do come out of there it's how much you'll owe have fun.

This discussion has been closed.