Options

The Fourth Democratic Debate: Open Mic Night at Club Communism

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    and now, my favourite, favourite part of Politics season

Shut. Up. Chuck. Todd.

• Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Sanders' hate? Nah, we love Sanders - we don't like how he's selling his ideas. Which we all agree with.

You just said single payer was a bad idea

single payer is an amazing idea.

The part that most of us are wondering about is the HOW.

something something campaign finance reform

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    So next is foreign policy. Let's see how this goes!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The big issue with Single Payer (which I think would be good, and save money in the long term) is that a large portion of the savings (perhaps all of it, for middle class insured Amercans) come from the fact employers no longer need to contribute to healthcare costs beyond the payroll tax increase.

Many of us are skeptical these costs would transfer to employees very quickly, or in their totality; I think the concept that it would result in a one-term presidency due to the delay in wage pressure making it look extremely expensive isn't too terribly off the mark.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    So next is foreign policy. Let's see how this goes!

Hillary is comically impressive, the moderators want a war, Sanders tries to hold his own but is ultimately not super interested.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Foreign policy should be a home run for Hillary. It's one of the areas she is unquestionably more experienced than anybody else on the stage.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    override wrote:
    Nothing's going to get done, the Democrats should just stick to ideas they know they can accomplish, rewrite the Democratic party platform to embrace nihilism"

You're confusing nihilism with pragmatism. Yes, Dems should stick to ideas that they can accomplish, sticking to ideas that are impossible maintains the status quo. This is why I'm wanting alternative solutions to getting this passed, and all I've gotten is nothing. It's disheartening when I came into this election as someone who should be eating out of Sanders hand - instead he's doing Hillary's job for her showing why she's the one who deserves to be the nominee.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Khildith wrote: »
    Sanders' hate? Nah, we love Sanders - we don't like how he's selling his ideas. Which we all agree with.

And there in is the frustration from a lot of us.

Because that's the answer for most of the questions.

Seriously, talk nerdy to me Bernie and I will be more than full-throated in support.

But if the answers that you're going to give are just hand-waving and angry old man ranting about campaign finance reform, on a question about climate change and/or healthcare, it's just going to frustrate and annoy me.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    this fucking music

260357025_ZCiwr-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

Seriously, talk nerdy to me Bernie and I will be more than full-throated in support.

But if the answers that you're going to give are just hand-waving and angry old man ranting about campaign finance reform, on a question about climate change and/or healthcare, it's just going to frustrate and annoy me.
    I dunno. Can the average viewer understand even 4% of that?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Not a bad Iran question.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    There are few single payer countries in the world. The goal is universal affordable coverage. Most advanced countries have multi payer systems. Single payer is not some kind of magic word that fixes evertything

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

No one, including Hillary, is being asked for anything like a reasonably likely legislative strategy for accomplishing the left-wing bromides they're tossing off, because there is no such strategy and even if there were most viewers don't care and don't have the expertise to weight them anyway.

• Options

well, probably not in the general.

but this is a debate on a sunday night, after a football game, during a hockey game for a democratic primary.

People who are going to be watching this are going to care about details.

and my post was primarily about those of us on this board, and we are by far and above not the average viewer.

We're stranger.

• Options
    Again, somewhere Elki just swore.

• Options
    Because anything that can't be accomplished with execute order is going to require a supermajority in both houses of congress, so most likely none of their legislative agenda's matter

• Options
    Bernie's actually not doing too badly on the foreign policy so far.

• Options
    wait did omalley just say that governors are the only people who should be president during a world war? as a selling point?

wait

• Options
    Because anything that can't be accomplished with execute order is going to require a supermajority in both houses of congress, so most likely none of their legislative agenda's matter

A supermajority?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Has O'malley actually received a question yet?

• Options
    Make the explicit connection between the former Ba'athists and ISIS, Bernie.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    wait did omalley just say that governors are the only people who should be president during a world war? as a selling point?

wait

I think so? Also he seemed to insinuate earlier that only governors can balance budgets

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular

well, probably not in the general.

but this is a debate on a sunday night, after a football game, during a hockey game for a democratic primary.

People who are going to be watching this are going to care about details.

and my post was primarily about those of us on this board, and we are by far and above not the average viewer.

We're stranger.

After gazing into the 322nd century, I'm proud to report that the country is stranger than it used to be

!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Bernie avoided going hard after Hillary for her vote for Iraq this time

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Has O'malley actually received a question yet?

In my head I've been asking him why hes there over and over.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

This is the it's important for optics and PR is, for building support for getting those ideas implemented with solutions when it's time when Dems get power back. It's a long game, as well trying to retain the president's and the party's political cred. Plus showing us the president has some clue about trying to make this happen, anyone can make a speech. We need to know the person behind it knows what they're doing.

edit: Someone who managed to get 10% made without succeeding has more credibility then someone with 0%.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »

A supermajority?

I misspoke while typing and watching, I meant a filibuster-proof majority <3

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

A supermajority?

Can the GOP still hold things up with Cloture votes anymore?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    "Your question is dumb, you out of touch, wealthy, never going to be affected by war asshole." - Hillary Clinton, paraphrased

Also probably Barack Obama out loud if he's watching this.

• Options
    Good answer from Clinton.

"There was a red line drawn but then nothing happened. Was Obama right? "

"You realize that things change all the time when you're President and you get lots of information and so tactics have to change."

• Options
    Ahh we've reached the "unintelligable talking over each other and the moderators" part of the campaign trail

• Options
    Lanz wrote: »

A supermajority?

Can the GOP still hold things up with Cloture votes anymore?

Yes except on some nominations, but that's just the Senate.

Khildith clarified

OMalley why you talk. *fast forward*

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    O'Malley: We need more spies.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Like the CIA doesn't want more spies.

Edit: Also NSA.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

This is the it's important for optics and PR is, for building support for getting those ideas implemented with solutions when it's time when Dems get power back. It's a long game, as well trying to retain the president's and the party's political cred. Plus showing us the president has some clue about trying to make this happen, anyone can make a speech. We need to know the person behind it knows what they're doing.

edit: Someone who managed to get 10% made without succeeding has more credibility then someone with 0%.

Yeah, but that stuff is hard, and takes time, and commitment, and steady work. We want our unicorn to appear and Make Everything Wonderful Forever.
    Single-payer universal health care at one magical stroke of the pen!
    Racism, sexism and all the other isms truly over!
    Campaign finance and voter suppression fixed for good!
    All the Bad Guns go away!

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    lol "your time is up" after hes finished talking

• Options
    oh goodie.

A question about the stupid red button photo op.

Clinton's Answer " Well, it depends on what I could get in exchange for the random button photo op."

• Options
    lol "your time is up" after hes finished talking

They've done that a couple of times.

• Options
    "Whats your relationship with Putin?"

'First base only.'

This discussion has been closed.