Options

[Board Games] - Skynet defeats Korean guy in an abstract strategy game. The end is nigh.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Isn't it about time for Cthulhu-themed games to wane gibbous?

The stars are right for the marketplace to eloign itself towards some alternate and equally antique and venerable personage.

The trouble is there isn't one with as long a shadow, other than Tolkein. Michael Moorcock or Robert Howard or maybe William Gibson, maybe, but they get their due already.

Frank Herbert?

Probably in the same league as Howard. Same issue.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

The stars are right for the marketplace to eloign itself towards some alternate and equally antique and venerable personage.

The trouble is there isn't one with as long a shadow, other than Tolkein. Michael Moorcock or Robert Howard or maybe William Gibson, maybe, but they get their due already.

Lovecraft is in the public domain, which is part of the reason for the ubiquity of Cthulu games.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I don't know how to feel about that.

"Squamous."

Or, perhaps, "effulgent."
    Cyclopean

Non-Euclidean.

Antediluvian

• Options
    DeoDeo Registered User regular
    So, despite the Cthulhu burn-out in here, I figure this is worth a mention.

Apparently tomorrow there'll be a KS launching for a game called Mythos Tales, which looks to be essentially Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, but taking place in Arkham. And hopefully without case-ruining typos.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

you guys know why there's all this Cthulhu stuff in the last few years right? It's just starting to come out of copyright.

Michael Moorcock is still alive so we have at least 70 years before we get flooded with Tanelorn Monopoly and Hawkwind Muchkin.

Frank Herbert's stuff will be 2056. 2043 at the earliest for Tolkiens stuff (keeping in mind Christopher should hold the copyright on Silmarillian and other post LOTR works given how much work he put into them).

Robert Howards books went out of copyright in 2006 (remember Age of Conan launched in 2008 and figure a couple years of dev)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Deo wrote: »
    So, despite the Cthulhu burn-out in here, I figure this is worth a mention.

Apparently tomorrow there'll be a KS launching for a game called Mythos Tales, which looks to be essentially Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, but taking place in Arkham. And hopefully without case-ruining typos.

The previous iteration of mythos tales was called 'Arkham Investigator'. At least a few of the cases from 'arkham investigator' were made available as free print-and-play by the creator.

I think those are still linked from the 'arkham investigator' bgg page if anyone is interested.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Had an all day event yesterday at our friend's game cafe. First game was Viticulture: Essential Edition, first time playing and it was really great. Then be opened up our copy of Risk Legacy at 2PM and didn't stop playing until 9PM. Risk is still a bad game (I was able to win a game from only holding one territory on one turn because of lucky rolls), but the legacy stuff is super fun and the more that was added the better it was.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    I impulse bought the second edition of Through The Ages yesterday. Did I do good?

• Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    Epimer wrote: »
    I impulse bought the second edition of Through The Ages yesterday. Did I do good?

That depends. Do you like The Resistance? Love Letter? Cosmic Encounter? Pandemic? Tales of Arabian Nights?

If you do, then no. You made a huge mistake.

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    I like Love Letter as a filler, and don't mind Pandemic (but would play a handful of other co-ops ahead of it).

My favourite games are probably Archipelago, Netrunner, Keyflower and Seasons. Fields of Arle and Mottainai will probably be up there after more plays, too.

My most common reason for disliking a game is it not being heavy enough.

• Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    I like Love Letter as a filler, and don't mind Pandemic (but would play a handful of other co-ops ahead of it).

My favourite games are probably Archipelago, Netrunner, Keyflower and Seasons. Fields of Arle and Mottainai will probably be up there after more plays, too.

My most common reason for disliking a game is it not being heavy enough.

You'll be just fine. :biggrin:

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

you guys know why there's all this Cthulhu stuff in the last few years right? It's just starting to come out of copyright.

No? Cthulhu was never copyrighted. Lovecraft wanted everyone to expand on what he had written. Some of the other authors trademarked their stuff but the reason there's lots of Cthulhu stuff is A: it's fucking awesome and B: lots of people buy it and continue buying it.

http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Copyright_status_of_works_by_H._P._Lovecraft

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

No, because you didn't immediately mail your copy to meeeeeee!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Frank Herbert's stuff will be 2056. 2043 at the earliest for Tolkiens stuff (keeping in mind Christopher should hold the copyright on Silmarillian and other post LOTR works given how much work he put into them).

This is assuming disney is prevented from extending copyright indefinitely. Which I would not necessarily count on.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Hey Krosmaster people!

I have four extra promos I do not need. Let me know if anyone wants one or more. I'm thinking 10$ plus shipping or somewhere in there.

TWO OF THESE Young Ogrest
    112_figurine_155_210.png

Arthur Bine
    132_figurine_155_210.png

Dark Vlad's Mount (you technically need Dark Vlad to use it but it does come with a new card)
    lk_ANK053%20DARK%20VLAD%20MOUNT-1.jpg

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

This is assuming disney is prevented from extending copyright indefinitely. Which I would not necessarily count on.

You beat me!

I've come to accept that anything copyrighted after Mickey Mouse will never enter the public domain.

• Options
    Upgraded some components for Shadows of Brimstone.

EsrG97Il.jpg

Awesome money cards from printerstudio, some nice clay poker chips for XP, some nifty little dollhouse bibles to replace Faith tokens, a little lantern to better show who has the Old Lantern, and some dollhouse wine bottles re-purposed into Whiskey!

Also picked up some small dollhouse jars to replace the other saddlebag items, but haven't finished with those yet.

Aaand, clear bases got here from Litko. Super-nice upgrade there.

HPrBbx4h.jpg

I have never pimped a board game this much in my life. Usually its just sleeves, or springing for a deluxe edition. On the bright side, I haven't bought any new games since I started upgrading Brimstone, so, that's something, I guess. :P

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    20160125_164856_zpspczc59hw.jpg

That happened.
    @Vyolynce and others who've tried Villains: the new Plague Rat is very entertaining.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    the new Plague Rat is very entertaining.

He's certainly different, that's for sure.

Bugbear, on the other hand, is a damned nuisance.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Girlfriend bought me 7 Wonders Duel yesterday as part of my Valentines Day gift when I was picking up the latest Netrunner data pack.

We played about four games and I won three of them. It's a fun little game, although I took to it much faster than she did, which is like a first in our relationship. She always does pretty solid with new games. (In fact, I'd think her win rate is overall higher than mine although I would love to see if there's some app that grabs this kind of data from my BGG plays data).

Anyways, it does give you a pretty solid 7 Wonders feel for two players. It offers a lot of challenges where you are like "Okay, if I go here, that gives them access to these two cards, but I know they want that one, so I shouldn't take that card covering them, but I don't want this other card so much..." The military victory is pretty hard to do, I only performed it once by basically forcing her into a scenario where she couldn't get out of it. She had to spend much of the final round pitching military cards for money to prevent me from getting them since she couldn't build them. I ended up completing my wonder to build a card out of the discard which got me across the line. After that she put a lot more effort to keep me well away from that.

While I think that 99% of games will NOT end in military victories (since you have to be in deep trouble to get that far behind and/or asleep at the wheel), having it be a thing is really nice. You can force your opponent to play suboptimally to either keep you from getting the cards and stall, or to actually build them to get breathing room. During this time, you can be scooping up good cards to shore up your point count.

The science victory, however, is basically impossible to do. I think someone got within two symbols one game. There don't seem to be enough symbols overall to really make it a threat. I think maybe if there was a fourth age it might accumulate enough. The technologies can be totally game changing though. They're very strong.

My only real complaint is that it is a little, tiny bit mean. I don't think it's TOO mean overall, but there was one game where I got to destroy one of her resource producing cards and it basically locked her out of it the rest of the game. Also, the game already needs an expansion. I feel like even over the four games we saw basically every card, wonder, and technology. I think they could safely double everything.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    My wife and I have really enjoyed 7 Wonders Duel, for many of the reasons you mention. (We also agree that the wonders which let you destroy one of your opponent's resource cards are probably the most game changing.) I agree with you that science and military victories are difficult, and science more so than military: if even three of the nine cards left in the box over the course of the game are science cards, then a science victory is often mathematically impossible. The only caveat to this is that the Philosophy progress token with the seventh science symbol can enable some entirely unforeseen science victories -- such as if that progress token is among those left in the box and you build the wonder which lets you pull a progress token from the box.

The closest I've ever gotten to a science victory was during my very first game with my wife. IIRC, I hit five science symbols on my first play of the third age (thanks to the progress token), and she was forced to play suboptimally through the whole third age to deny me the sixth token. (She probably would have won a military victory that game had she not been forced to ignore military cards in order to deny me the last science symbol.)

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    My wife and I have really enjoyed 7 Wonders Duel, for many of the reasons you mention. (We also agree that the wonders which let you destroy one of your opponent's resource cards are probably the most game changing.) I agree with you that science and military victories are difficult, and science more so than military: if even three of the nine cards left in the box over the course of the game are science cards, then a science victory is often mathematically impossible. The only caveat to this is that the Philosophy progress token with the seventh science symbol can enable some entirely unforeseen science victories -- such as if that progress token is among those left in the box and you build the wonder which lets you pull a progress token from the box.

The closest I've ever gotten to a science victory was during my very first game with my wife. IIRC, I hit five science symbols on my first play of the third age (thanks to the progress token), and she was forced to play suboptimally through the whole third age to deny me the sixth token. (She probably would have won a military victory that game had she not been forced to ignore military cards in order to deny me the last science symbol.)

Your second paragraph is a good example of why those win conditions matter even if they'll never go off. They do add a lot of tension to the game. I especially like the little mini game in the military track where you're trying to wait to cross the lines to get rid of their coins until they have enough coins to make it work. Not so much with the first level, but five coins? Sometimes she's danced around 3 or 4 coins whenever a military card was available to me making me really consider if I wanted to wait and get a little more bang for the buck.

Another thing I neglected to mention was how much I liked the subtlety of yellow cards. The fact that they have a little perk AND increase the amount of money you earn when discarding cards is so nice. Sometimes the early yellow cards, the reserves that let you pay a coin to get more of a resource instead of the regular cost, seem expensive at 3 gold up front, but they can be a life saver when you're building a wonder that needs three of that resource and your opponent scooped up a couple of those symbols. They can also pay you back that three gold by enabling you to pitch cards for a lot of money back. I really really like the commerce cards that give you money straight up. They can be a real shot in the arm and then they keep paying you back down the road. It takes out some of the sting of just pitching a card to deny it to your opponent. You're at least getting a couple points in the process, or at least setting up later moves.

Lastly, I really like the way that buying up resources works. There isn't really enough to go around so that makes it viable to look at your opponents wonders and buy them up to make their life more difficult, and give them kind of a double pinch: they won't have access to as much, and then on top of it they have to pay MORE. This also really offsets the drafting at the beginning: sure you could just take Wonders that utilize the same resources but then you're more vulnerable to getting hosed out of one resource. On the other hand, you could get wonders with a variety of resource requirements, but then you're really reducing the chance that you could complete more than a couple.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Tonight: February.
    I've even got an ambient sound app with coughing, helicopters, and ekg sounds.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    the new Plague Rat is very entertaining.

He's certainly different, that's for sure.

Bugbear, on the other hand, is a damned nuisance.

I've been playing a lot of Sky Scraper and The Sentinels. We had a really good time with the Vengeance villain set doing our best to make Fright Train beat up all the other bad guys via Writhe, and we've gotten some really dumb environment-guy-controlled-by-Aggression Modulator things going. Notably among those, the Angry Mob in Court of Blood on Saturday; it just sat there beating up Apostate and destroying the vampires' set-up cards until one finally showed up at like 5 rounds deep.

Didn't get to try Bugbear yet. We ran Fright Train, Greazer, Ambuscade, Plague Rat, and Hammer & Anvil (who play much too slowly to be a real threat from what I saw) on Saturday, and although the Greazer's hair mechanic is pretty neat I didn't see anything that dangerous / impressive. Also got majorly let down by Chokepoint's deck being negligible danger-wise.

• Options
    Haven't given Chokepoint a run yet, but we have gone through all 10 Villains enemies at least once. We've actually gone up against Hammer and Anvil three times now and they've never been a factor unless the Bastion position shows up.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    @Magic Pink those Kros still available?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »
      @Magic Pink those Kros still available?

So far, yup. Here's the cards so people can decide if they actually want them
      112_i18n_front.png
      Arthur_Bine.jpg
      114_i18n_front.png

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      I'll take em. I just like collecting them!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        Well, in the spirit of Tax season, and since I've found a new hobby of pimping games, I went and ordered a Printrbot Play 3D printer.

Now to hope I can learn to use the software well enough to produce anything worthwhile!

• Options
        Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
        Oh

oh... God no

Pandemic Legacy spoilers (April):
        April zombies. my buddy predicted successfully.

our zombie disease was black, and our original draw gave us two 3 cube cities in black, and then an epidemic on player 2's turn led to one of them out breaking. later we got a double outbreak - and then the faded showed up.

we lost soon after that with 8 outbreaks, and four rioting cities.

it was real bad.

at least we have funding 2 for the next stab at April....

• Options
        Oh

oh... God no

Pandemic Legacy spoilers (April):
        April zombies. my buddy predicted successfully.

our zombie disease was black, and our original draw gave us two 3 cube cities in black, and then an epidemic on player 2's turn led to one of them out breaking. later we got a double outbreak - and then the faded showed up.

we lost soon after that with 8 outbreaks, and four rioting cities.

it was real bad.

at least we have funding 2 for the next stab at April....
        I personally find the Faded way more horrifying than zombies.

• Options
        ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
        edited February 2016
        February win! Just started March so those spoilers will remain shut for now!

March win! That was a fast game! Everything went our way!

ArcSyn on
        4dm3dwuxq302.png
      • Options
        So Codex is up on Kickstarter by David Sirlin. Any thoughts? I know he's widely regarded as an unapologetic plagiarist and it is another dang CCG but it looks kind of neat.

• Options
        Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
        edited February 2016
        Magic Pink wrote: »
        So Codex is up on Kickstarter by David Sirlin. Any thoughts? I know he's widely regarded as an unapologetic plagiarist and it is another dang CCG but it looks kind of neat.

Looks pretty neat, but I don't like the idea being forced to go into red vs. green for the core set. If they had a level where i could pick any of the two factions I might go in on it.

Edit: Also where is my main man, DeGray?

Zombie Hero on
        Steam
        Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
        Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
        3ds: 3282-2248-0453
      • Options
        mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
        Magic Pink wrote: »

It's really neat, and I say this as someone who got his ass handed to him in every single game of it that he played. lol

The "deck building as you play" mechanic is really slick and interesting. So you can come up with your basic build order ahead of the game, but as your opponent reveals the approach they're taking, you both start "teching" to counter and exploit each other.

I backed the core set ($45). I'll buy into more of it later, either online or through my LGS if I get really into it.

narwhal wrote:
        Why am I Terran?
        My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
      • Options
        ArcSyn wrote: »
        February win! Just started March so those spoilers will remain shut for now!

March win! That was a fast game! Everything went our way!

Hopefully my January+ run goes smoothly tonight.

• Options
        Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
        Dave Sirlin making a ccg is kinda funny considering one of his big selling points for Yomi was how every deck was complete and competitive with no need to buy a ton of stuff.

• Options
        BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
        Dave Sirlin making a ccg is kinda funny considering one of his big selling points for Yomi was how every deck was complete and competitive with no need to buy a ton of stuff.

I don't know that the two are necessarily exclusive directions for a designer. There are people who clearly like collecting cards, and some that don't.

Also, I expect this is getting into some dangerous territory, but I'm not seeing much about Sirlin and plagiarism with a quick google search. Did he actually steal some shit, or were some people making a load of noise about borrowing mechanics?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
      • Options
        FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
        20160125_164856_zpspczc59hw.jpg

That happened.
        @Vyolynce and others who've tried Villains: the new Plague Rat is very entertaining.

That's the most awesome sight in the whole history of awesome.

• Options
        FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
        Speaking of which, the SHATTERED TIMELINES expansion for SENTINELS Online arrived last week.