As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The X-Files] Rebooted. This Could Be a Case for Mulder and Scully.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Mulder must have mentioned his name as he also calls him Mr Mulder before he finds out he's FBI.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    Mulder must have mentioned his name as he also calls him Mr Mulder before he finds out he's FBI.

Just seemed weird for him to say Fox when only Scully or his sister calls him that, no one else tends to.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    An enjoyable episode, but:

Why did the trans* character have to be a prostitute anyhow? Why not a park ranger or simply someone stopping to fill up their cars petrol tank?

Yes, there are Trans* prostitutes in the real world (an unfortunate fate caused by the inherent unfairness present in society), but also there are just as many people who have high paying professional careers, like Doctors, Lawyers, Scientists, Fire-fighters, people working in postal services, etcetera.

Humans and the injustices inflicted by them, upon other humans... that's what makes real monsters.

Also, what happens to a Were-creature if it could be placed upon a suitable habitat on another planet, with different natural satellites? Or whilst in heliocentric orbit?

A Were-Astronaut.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Just seemed weird for him to say Fox when only Scully or his sister calls him that, no one else tends to.

He read his ID and called him Fox after that.

Also, why isn't this thread's title "I didn't even get a chance to shoot blood out of my eyes balls"

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Rewatching the original seasons. Episode 2 is still a great episode.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Can we fit *Scully looks around then steals a dog?*

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If one thought the first episode was awful, was the second episode markedly improved?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    If one thought the first episode was awful, was the second episode markedly improved?

First episode is the weakest so far but it had to do a lot of work.

Second ep is much better

Third is just balls out great

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Can we fit *Scully looks around then steals a dog?*

The new dog is Daggoo, much like Queequeg, and that's also the name of a Moby Dick character, alluding to Scully's father's nickname for her (Starbuck)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Also, why isn't this thread's title "I didn't even get a chance to shoot blood out of my eyes balls"

Didn't see his ID before calling him Fox. After he saw he was FBI he pulled the "J'accuse" and walked off.

Still saying Horny toad man was in Mulder's head.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Didn't see his ID before calling him Fox. After he saw he was FBI he pulled the "J'accuse" and walked off.

That or Molder is a Werefox

• Options

That or Molder is a Werefox

Don't bring up my fan fiction again man, the tears are still real to me!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Scully is the werefox around here.
    Werefox? tumblr_o1whuaopu01r9dm6no2_500.gif There fox!

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

Now you're just exploiting our biological reactions.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »

Now you're just exploiting our biological reactions.

You know you want to start lying about your sexual conquests.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I think you are all missing out on the real, truly important discussion about the third episode:

Where can I get a suit jacket that can comfortably hide entire bottles of liquor?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    That Jacket obviously contains pockets of holding + 10 and/or a mini TARDIS.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    This episode was incredible

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I think you are all missing out on the real, truly important discussion about the third episode:

Where can I get a suit jacket that can comfortably hide entire bottles of liquor?

There was also the minor issue of how Guy
    managed to get his clothes into that port-o-potty for the fakeout, not to mention get them on (or, you know, partially on) in time.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I thought it was a nod to Duchovny's role as Denise from Twin Peaks, but then I'm an idiot.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    New ep -
    Man they need to cut Scully a break.Shes running out of immediate family. The MoW was pointless. Id have preferred an episode that focused on the Scully plot more

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    New ep -
    Man they need to cut Scully a break.Shes running out of immediate family. The MoW was pointless. Id have preferred an episode that focused on the Scully plot more
    I guess at least she had her mother around until passing away from natural causes. Mulder's father was murdered, his mother killed herself, both in his thirties. And of course, his sisters abduction when he was a teen. Scully's family deaths have been relatively normal, aside from her sister being murdered by the syndicate due to mistaken identity.

Lucid on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I kinda liked the way the MoW part served as an extended metaphor for what Scully was going through. It was a little clunky, but still effective. And Anderson and Duchovny both nailed the acting.

The actual monster bits were pretty awesome, too. Super creepy.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Given the name of the episode, I was expecting something very different...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Given the name of the episode, I was expecting something very different...

Yeah I was expecting the family from the first Home episode to show up. Episode was super violent, but the MOW and what mulder and scully were doing were almost complete opposites and the resolution just was there.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I have a feeling you all are going to have some issues with this most recent episode.

I liked it, though. The interaction between Einstein/Mulder and Miller/Scully was fun and the subject material was an interesting discussion on the power of thought and speech.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I am not sure what the fuck I just watched.

I don't know if I liked it or not, but I get the feeling that what passed through Chris Carter's mind as he was writing it was not the same thing that passed through my mind as I was watching it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    What the fuck is this?!??!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Can someone spoil what happened because the internet seems to be cracking in half and I want to watch with context.

• Options
    This was very weird. Im guessing Miller and Einstein will be back as leads in a future season but the terrorist stuff was done really poorly and that entire speech at the end was ugh. Should have just ended with Miller and Einstein

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    I found that episode to be utterly dreadful. Everything about it was dumb, and insulting.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I have a feeling you all are going to have some issues with this most recent episode.

I liked it, though. The interaction between Einstein/Mulder and Miller/Scully was fun and the subject material was an interesting discussion on the power of thought and speech.

I liked this part a lot. The Muslim stuff was weird and unnecessary and frankly reeks of the writer trying to be relevant. You could have replaced the scenario with cult member and almost none of it would have affected the plot

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I don't get why having Islamic terrorists on the show is such a bad thing. I mean it's a thing that exists and the bombing target in the show would be a plausible actual target in reality. It showed the human side of the equation with the mother. Plus it was a useful story to tell in an episode talking about the power of words. I mean there are people who are buying into Extremist Islam and blowing themselves up. It's crazy that words/thoughts can cause someone to go that far and I thought the episode explored that in an interesting way.

If the episode had been any other hate or terrorist group I doubt it would have received any backlash. It's weird that depiction of Islamic terrorists is like off limits right now considering they are pretty relevant.

The episode hardly tried to say that all Islam or people from the middle east are bad, which I think is the problem when depicting Islamic terrorism.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Way to be part of the problem X-Files. This episode was shit.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I don't get why having Islamic terrorists on the show is such a bad thing. I mean it's a thing that exists and the bombing target in the show would be a plausible actual target in reality. It showed the human side of the equation with the mother. Plus it was a useful story to tell in an episode talking about the power of words. I mean there are people who are buying into Extremist Islam and blowing themselves up. It's crazy that words/thoughts can cause someone to go that far and I thought the episode explored that in an interesting way.

If the episode had been any other hate or terrorist group I doubt it would have received any backlash. It's weird that depiction of Islamic terrorists is like off limits right now considering they are pretty relevant.

The episode hardly tried to say that all Islam or people from the middle east are bad, which I think is the problem when depicting Islamic terrorism.

That's the point. It could have been any other group and it would have been the same episode . They didn't do anything new or original with it they just plopped some brown folks in there and thought they'd get an emmy.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I don't have a problem with the show's use of Islamic terrorists. They are a thing, it happens, and the show conveyed that Islamic terrorists are an aberration.
    The problem is that everything was so heavy handed. The people who were anti Muslim were ridiculous caricatures. The bizarro Mulder and Scully were ridiculous caricatures. The speeches were all over the top ridiculous. The way Mulder and Scully handled their respective sides of the case were basically parody. The trumpets from heaven thing at the end was just goofy.
    This episode had a lot of cool ideas and took a lot of risks and pretty much none of it paid off. It was a giant mess, start to finish.

The shroom scene was entertaining, though.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I am not sure what the fuck I just watched.

I don't know if I liked it or not, but I get the feeling that what passed through Chris Carter's mind as he was writing it was not the same thing that passed through my mind as I was watching it.

This was my exact reaction multiple times through the episode.

At the end of the episode with the song playing and them meeting up I was like "eh ok this is a nice sendoff". And then they start taking the walk together and I literally shouted "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH THIS SHOW?"

Parts of it were good. I almost wondered if it was a backdoor pilot to continue the series with new characters. Then they were too much like the originals for that to be true. Not a whole lot of this episode made sense. Mulders boss wouldn't fly out for 30 seconds face time in a hospital for (I assume)dehydration.

I don't think I can put my argument into the best words, but I think the use of islamic terrorists was fine. I don't think you could replace it with a cult because part of the idea was showing a major cultural difference as part of a issue that divides people. I mean at its base this was a cult, a very small extreme segment of a population that did it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    The problem with using Islamic terrorism is that it falls into similar issues with gender representation in gaming. Middle Eastern people are overrepresented as Islamic terrorists in american media. It's somewhat tiresome to see them used in this way. As soon as the episode started, I couldn't help but think of how long until he's a terrorist. I don't think it's enough to just have terrorists as bad guys, and then attempt a message of cross cultural understanding, seeking nuance or whatever. I don't think it successfully conveyed Islamic terrorists as aberrations to the people who would need to be convinced. I think those people would continue being just like the nurse, and the use of terrorism in this show will just be part of that. If you're not attempting to engage the people who actually need engaging with, then there isn't much point to using an overrepresented characterization. It kind of undercuts any theme of communicating beyond barriers.

I mean, who is Chris Carter trying to speak to through this episode, what is he trying to say to them? If it's the notion of bridging gaps in communication and understanding, who does he want to do that with? Maybe he thinks it's all just a mess and this is what he had to say, which I don't think is all that insightful.

X Files has always been terrible at approaching political material though.

Lucid on
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    I'm struggling with these episodes for a few reasons. I hated Babylon as well, and it's up there in my top 2 worst episodes ever. I should be clear that I am as big an "X-Phile" as they come, and I want so badly for this mini-series to succeed. I am quickly becoming frustrated by the six episode format, as it seems like more of an attempted love letter to the concept of the show rather than a true, substantial "event" or continuation, if that makes sense, and I think it is falling very flat on that front if so. I would rather have had six mythology episodes to wrap all this up in some way and let it breathe, or have a good ten episodes so we can get the amazing "Weremonster" type stuff in there as well. Five episodes in, its feels INCREDIBLY rushed, uncertain about what it wants to reboot, erase, or flesh out, and way uneven in terms of dialogue delivery and acting. It kind of hurts, honestly, because I want this to be good, I do. I liked episode 2, loved episodes 3 and 4 right up there with my favorites in the original run, but 5 sucked for me in every way (aside from Mulder's shenanigans). I am sad they might be trying to (again) push a new duo in Miller and Einstein, as I hated both of their characters as presented, and won't be watching X-Files without Mulder and Scully, period. I say just close the book on the show if Duchovny and Anderson need to walk, call it a day and let's celebrate the show for what it was.

• Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Oh, also, I still don't buy O'Malley's schtick from episode one, and I will even be ok if they leave things still up in the air regarding alien or human conspiracies. I enjoyed the slow-burn of the original run, and much like Lovecraft lore, I'm happiest in this case when things are left unknowable to a point; it's about Mulder and Scully's personal quests and growth, the strange and supernatural bits are a medium to explore that. That's sci-fi the way I enjoy it...speculative fiction with fantastic elements used as mediums to highlight very human struggles. Anyway, I was happy with the alien lore as it was, and anything short of the last episode getting us back on that track will be awful to me. I'm thinking one of two things happened: a) the aliens have begun colonization like the last episodes of season 9 indicated, infiltrating the government and setting up their chess pieces as it were, or b) they were stopped and men picked up where they left off to basically continue that work. Option B is close to what they're trying to do, but not quite. After all we've seen involving aliens from past episodes (and even the movies) where Mulder or Scully weren't even present to fool, I can't buy the new company line of "it was people all along" just so Carter can make it look even more clever than intended. I mean, I never understood the 2012 colonization line to be literal War of the Worlds style invasion...I assumed they'd begin the process (they did) and it would slowly unravel over decades if necessary. It's been bugging me, sorry for the rant!