As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [American Political Media]: The People Who Shape The Political Landscape

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Political media?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Very, unfortunately.

(Oh, you said political, not partisan.)

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Moved from other thread, @CelestialBadger
    The Ender wrote: »
    Liberals also hate the liberal media, ironically because it isn't liberal enough.

-.-

I won't speak for anyone else, but to me this is why the New York Times is garbage:

They explicitly and unabashedly published bullshit about Iraqi materiel, as part of a choreographed campaign right alongside the GOP, to advocate for war. Every one of those shitbag reporters working for that rag should have been made to sit behind sandbags recording stories front the front since they wanted the war so damn bad.

That story was instrumental in earning public support for the war effort from people sitting on the fence. An ombudsman for the NYT would later come out to wring their hands and talk about how unsubstantiated it all was, but by the time he did the damage was done.

I cannot wait for the old garbage media to die it's richly deserved death, and 'not being leftist enough' has nothing to do with it.

What? You just posted something about hating the NYT because it wasn't very liberal. And this contradicts me somehow?

Oh, and by the way, the "old garbage media" is already dying, and of course being replaced by quality, courageous and in-depth news sources. LOL! My joke. Being replaced by Breitbart and Buzzfeed.

Buzzfeed has actually developed a solid reputation for investigative reporting.

They had the courage to leak the Trump document for sure. I'm not aware of any investigative journalism they do, although feel free to link me good examples. Their home page is a mess of trash which makes it hard to find anything of substance.

I can't see them replacing venerable-though-imperfect weighty old newspapers like the Washington Post or New York Times.

Here's one: a piece by a biracial woman who grew up in rural Pennsylvania, discussing how recent pieces on the white working class there avoid talking about the non-white working class in those regions, and why that is.

Or this expose on shady psychiatric facilities abusing patients for profit.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Seems relevant to the thread
    ha2xinj1snto.jpeg

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Liberals also hate the liberal media, ironically because it isn't liberal enough.

-.-

I won't speak for anyone else, but to me this is why the New York Times is garbage:

They explicitly and unabashedly published bullshit about Iraqi materiel, as part of a choreographed campaign right alongside the GOP, to advocate for war. Every one of those shitbag reporters working for that rag should have been made to sit behind sandbags recording stories front the front since they wanted the war so damn bad.

That story was instrumental in earning public support for the war effort from people sitting on the fence. An ombudsman for the NYT would later come out to wring their hands and talk about how unsubstantiated it all was, but by the time he did the damage was done.

I cannot wait for the old garbage media to die it's richly deserved death, and 'not being leftist enough' has nothing to do with it.

What? You just posted something about hating the NYT because it wasn't very liberal. And this contradicts me somehow?

Oh, and by the way, the "old garbage media" is already dying, and of course being replaced by quality, courageous and in-depth news sources. LOL! My joke. Being replaced by Breitbart and Buzzfeed.

They had the courage to leak the Trump document for sure. I'm not aware of any investigative journalism they do, although feel free to link me good examples. Their home page is a mess of trash which makes it hard to find anything of substance.

I can't see them replacing venerable-though-imperfect weighty old newspapers like the Washington Post or New York Times.

Here's one: a piece by a biracial woman who grew up in rural Pennsylvania, discussing how recent pieces on the white working class there avoid talking about the non-white working class in those regions, and why that is.

Nice, long form stuff, thanks. They really hide this stuff though. You could go to that site and think it's nothing more than funny Disney memes and recipes. Is that not a problem?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Does that invalidate anything?

• Options

-.-

Nice, long form stuff, thanks. They really hide this stuff though. You could go to that site and think it's nothing more than funny Disney memes and recipes. Is that not a problem?

That's what pays the bills, sadly.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular

-.-

Unfortunately, the funny Disney memes and recipes are what pay the bills.

Which, honestly - I'm more okay with obvious clickbait fluff pieces than drumming up controversy over nothing (e-mails!) in order to drive traffic and keep the site afloat. It's a lot easier to separate it from the 'real' journalism.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Ah yes, liberal CNN.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Oh, fuck you, Miller.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    There is so much going on in that tweet.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    She had to have been struck by lightning just after she sent that, right?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Maximum wrote: »
    She had to have been struck by lightning just after she sent that, right?

If the world worked like that there would be a lot fewer conservative pundits and Republican congressmen and women.

It's a beautiful dream, though.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm sorry @ED! But if one voted for trump I assume they believed things he said

And by the facts that means they believe absolute falsehoods more often

• Options
    Its possible i guess you didn't care and liked his racist xenophobic message

don't think that's much better

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Am I supposed to know who Judith Miller is?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Am I supposed to know who Judith Miller is?
    Couldn't recall the name, either. But you'll probably remember what she did:

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/you-literally-caused-the-iraq-war-internet-rips-judith-miller-for-blaming-war-deaths-on-chelsea-manning/
    Miller, of course, is the same person who cited unnamed Bush administration officials, as well as disgraced Iraqi politician Ahmed Chalabi, in her 2002 reporting on Iraq’s (nonexistent) weapons of mass destruction stockpile. Senior Bush administration officials, including Condoleezza Rice, Colin Powell, and Donald Rumsfeld, all cited Miller’s New York Times reporting to rally public support for the war.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Huh, they changed the pic on that tweet

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ah.

• Options
    Judith Miller is the very definition of a media horse.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Speaking of srs bznss BuzzFeed journalism:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertsamaha/blue-lies-matter

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Conservative pundits like Frum, Brooks, etc. still having a job while being unrepentant Iraq War cheerleaders is one of the main causes of loss of credibility in the press.

Also, lol at CNN hiring Sanctorum. Wouldn't be surprised than an Alt-Right superstar like Milo or Cernovich was hired by 2020.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    For a guy that's so homophobic, he certainly likes polishing Trump's knob, if you know what I mean. :winky:

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm sorry @ED! But if one voted for trump I assume they believed things he said

I'm sure a lot of people believe him when he says he's going to build "a wall" or "bring jobs back. . ." Does that automatically mean they believe him when he says (if I recall) that "Global warming is caused by China?"

It was gross over generalization of Trump voters, backed up by your personal bias (and seemed mostly just to pat yourself, and some members of this thread, on the back). Politifact has Clinton at 25% outright lies (during the campaign one assumes). Does that mean Clinton voters were 25% uninformed (and not for nothing that was an example of backing up statements with something with something resembling "proof")?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
  • Options
    He basically opened the thing praising an adversarial press corp.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I can't parse what this Tweet means?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I can't parse what this Tweet means?

Those were the press agencies that he called on in his presser.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Context is such a valuable thing.

Which is why I continue to loathe Twitter.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Twitter is mostly fine, its people that insist on taking a tweet and dumping it into a conversation devoid of any context and hoping everyone else will suss out why it relates / matters.

There is even a mod that does this.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Yup Ed and

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/lists/people/comparing-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-truth-o-met/

Trump lied way way more the Hilary. Often about really easily disprovable things. And to date I don't think he's every admitted actually saying something false. By the record he still looking for the thousands of Muslims in Jersey cheering 9/11.

I'm sorry I'm trying to be nice. But Trump is a liar and if you believe things he says you believe a lot of lies.

and in case you haven't noticed I DONT FUCKING CARE ABOUT TRUMP VOTERS FEELINGS. People deciding their feelings are ore important than actual reality is what got him elected.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Twitter is mostly fine, its people that insist on taking a tweet and dumping it into a conversation devoid of any context and hoping everyone else will suss out why it relates / matters.

The problem is Twitter doesn't provide that context on it's own the way, say, an actual article would.

• Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    Yup Ed and

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/lists/people/comparing-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-truth-o-met/

Trump lied way way more the Hilary. Often about really easily disprovable things. And to date I don't think he's every admitted actually saying something false. By the record he still looking for the thousands of Muslims in Jersey cheering 9/11.

I'm sorry I'm trying to be nice. But Trump is a liar and if you believe things he says you believe a lot of lies.

I've talked/argued with way too many Trump voters in the last couple months, and always try to ground the conversation in actual, literal Trump statements to underscore the fact he's a white supremacist, clearly ignorant, incoherent, et cetera. Almost universally, their rebuttal is 'he didn't mean it like that' or, even more forehead-slapping, just 'he didn't mean it.' That standard is not applied to the other side, of course.

Fucking maddening. Also probably a window into why the avalanche of negative campaigning against Trump didn't stop him.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Yup Ed and

and in case you haven't noticed I DONT FUCKING CARE ABOUT TRUMP VOTERS FEELINGS. People deciding their feelings are ore important than actual reality is what got him elected.

Counterpoint: people ignoring Trump voters' feelings got him elected.

• Options
    No americans not showing up to vote in the states that matter got him elected. Had nothing to do with Trump Voter feelings

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

The problem is Twitter doesn't provide that context on it's own the way, say, an actual article would.
    At the same time, linking to a tweet doesnt disable the rest of the posting functions like typing why the tweet matters.

If someone cold dropped external links, youtube videos, or meme gifs all the time it wouldnt be tolerated, but for some reason tweets get a pass.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    No americans not showing up to vote in the states that matter got him elected. Had nothing to do with Trump Voter feelings

Well, it had to do with their feelings that whites should be supreme in America.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

At the same time, linking to a tweet doesnt disable the rest of the posting functions like typing why the tweet matters.

If someone cold dropped external links, youtube videos, or meme gifs all the time it wouldnt be tolerated, but for some reason tweets get a pass.

If you feel a post is bad report it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Some people believe what they believe, know what they know, and are impervious to any evidence otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.