Options

Archer: *Now* it's done

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Looks like next season is going to be called Danger Island.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Ironically, it will not be in a zone of any kind

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Ironically, it will not be in a zone of any kind

Double irony, it's actually a peninsula.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ it's another fucking coma season that predates the time period of the last one.

See you in 2019 Archer, hope you don't fuck up your finale to.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Jesus Christ it's another fucking coma season that predates the time period of the last one.

See you in 2019 Archer, hope you don't fuck up your finale to.

Fucking seriously? One terrible coma-dream season wasn't enough?

Honestly surprised they got another season after this last one.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the next season. I can't say the last one was my favourite, but I liked that they tried changing things up, experimented with stuff.

I love the show in general, but I don't want them to just give me more of the same. Some new things will be hits, some will be misses, but I appreciate the effort either way.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    New settings are fine with the actual cast so we can have continuity and character development.

Grow and change the characters with the setting.

The PI season was amazing. More of that would have been great, even if Archer was in a coma for most of it. We could have seen everyone else without him around.

Dreamland would have been a perfect between season three part event, like heart of Archness.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Supposedly the new season will be less dark and more funny, plus the setting won't separate the cast as much.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Supposedly the new season will be less dark and more funny, plus the setting won't separate the cast as much.

That was my big problem with the season, everyone was divided up too much.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    New settings are fine with the actual cast so we can have continuity and character development.

Grow and change the characters with the setting.

The PI season was amazing. More of that would have been great, even if Archer was in a coma for most of it. We could have seen everyone else without him around.

Dreamland would have been a perfect between season three part event, like heart of Archness.

The PI season being so good is what pissed me off about the waste of a season with Dreamland. It had a decent balance of one-off adventures with a thread tying the season together, but it didn't get bogged down by paying more attention to a story arc than being an entertaining comedy. It also had semi-spy stuff without just being an excuse to do all the same spy stuff as past seasons.

Then we got a whole season of nothing where nothing will matter because it's a dream. And now we're getting another season of the same thing.

It's a freaking animated show, just jump through whatever hoops it takes to have the characters actually be in these different settings instead of having them dreamed to be in them.

• Options
    There's always a chance even the final season will be this way since Reed said he "feels no responsibility to return the show to the present day events".

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Maybe this season will be more fun after all!

https://youtu.be/-iEalXd08xE

April 25 on FXXXX or whatever.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    While I'm sure this will be somewhat independently amusing, I'm just not interested. Season 7 was too good, to just be brushed aside for two seasons of bullshit that don't do anything to resolve a cliffhanger or take advantage of character development.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I'm going to watch it because I don't get bent out of shape about TV shows.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's Frisky Dingo all over again!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    I'm kind of here, but also kind of at the "get the fuck on with it, guys" point.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It would be pretty funny if all of that is from the first episode, and he wakes up, though.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I'm kind of here, but also kind of at the "get the fuck on with it, guys" point.

The latest season was dull. Few jokes. Fewer and shorter episodes. It felt like a waste of talent.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed Dreamland. More than the season that preceded it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

The latest season was dull. Few jokes. Fewer and shorter episodes. It felt like a waste of talent.

The season itself was fine, but I've noticed that short seasons are becoming more and more common. I dont like it.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    maybe theyre RUSING us

maybe we have been visited by the TRICK'S MASTER

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I am perfectly fine with Archer's cast in different settings

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Dreamland. More than the season that preceded it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So did I, until it was all about Barry at the end. Again.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular

Different settings is fine, great even. They just need to flesh it out and make something more with it.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    At least we get a better turn around than Venture Bros. *grumble grumble*

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I just wish they hadn’t done this on a cliffhanger, and the setup be that’s it’s all in his head.

I’m dying to find out what’s actually happening in the real world and I’m afraid they’re setting this up so that the season after this, their last season, is going to be a time skip where archer wakes up and his daughter is grown.

Viskod on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    From what I remember, this season is going to be 8 episodes, with the last season also being 8 episodes.

So "short" is the name of the game here.

sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »

Different settings is fine, great even. They just need to flesh it out and make something more with it.

Also? Don't end the previous continuity on a cliffhanger when you decide to do that.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    What is up with all this dream shit?

I guess the well went dry. Painted themselves into a corner.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Krathoon wrote: »
    What is up with all this dream shit?

I guess the well went dry. Painted themselves into a corner.

Yeah, in a setting where we've encountered possibly-Hitler-clone Krieger-clones, Krieger-bots, terminator-esque cyborgs of a couple different types, and actual aliens, the best they can do is "it's all a dream"?

I don't get if they're intentionally trying to be boring or get cancelled or what. I'm actually surprised they keep getting seasons at this point, the quality is so all over the place.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The quality has been a mess since season 5. Even four is a bit looser than the preceding three.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I think Dreamland was a fun idea with good moments and bits, but i’d Definitely appreciate more cuts between that and the “real world” to move that story along.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    I think Dreamland was a fun idea with good moments and bits, but i’d Definitely appreciate more cuts between that and the “real world” to move that story along.

I think would be tricky, it's either going to be pretty down or undermine the dream parts. You could probably wedge a series 1-2 episode of Archer in there with the rest of the team coping (or not) without him, but you're either going to undermine Archer's storyline by showing that the outside world is just fine without him, just do it as a distraction from the Archer plot and have it for it's own sake, or have it being bit of a downer in order to raise the stakes in Archerworld.

But in a show as inherently ridiculous as Archer, that seems a crazily fine line to tread. If you've got a story to tell in Dreamland, stuff happening in the real world doesn't really move that along.

• Options
    They could just make the show enjoyable again, and drop the dreamland crap.

The team has a gay Olympian ex-minister who was married and also had a swinging brother and sister-in-law who were running an illegal weed farm, and that's one of the less whacky things in the show. This dreamland stuff is terribly lazy and entirely unnecessary for doing crazy stuff with the show.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They could just make the show enjoyable again

What year do you think this is, 2011?

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    They could just make the show enjoyable again

What year do you think this is, 2011?

I dunno, maybe somebody shot me into a coma and this is all a really half-assed dream I made up.

It would explain a lot.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Don't forget Woodhouses VA died around that time , he could have been a main part of the cliffhangers resolve

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    They need to figure out what they're doing, expand the agency back to the point where they can be assumed to have two floors of staff again, move to a building worth breaking into and having a gunfight in, and then do some larger arc that isn't a group of less than a dozen people who we already all know everything about. If they introduce more than three characters at any given moment they don't have to burn through them or chew the cud for hours on end.

Some kind of timber brutalism with recessed lighting and awesome concrete beams and give Krieger a nice entry arch and a little second floor office with a setup for his YouTube channel.

• Options
    They need to figure out what they're doing, expand the agency back to the point where they can be assumed to have two floors of staff again, move to a building worth breaking into and having a gunfight in, and then do some larger arc that isn't a group of less than a dozen people who we already all know everything about. If they introduce more than three characters at any given moment they don't have to burn through them or chew the cud for hours on end.

Some kind of timber brutalism with recessed lighting and awesome concrete beams and give Krieger a nice entry arch and a little second floor office with a setup for his YouTube channel.

Are you asking for a better Archer or a stint on one of those home improvement shows?

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Fuck it. Have them buy a mall with a few anchor businesses still there. Lean into the carrion economy and collapsing political sphere while using it to frame a comeback narrative.