Options

Archer: *Now* it's done

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    all of season nine is just krieger, pam and cyril streaming league of legends

archer gets really good at the game just so he can beat cyril at it

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I am more than ever now convinced the whole show is a coma dream and that is why the technology doesn't sync up, Archer really doesnt know what conflict he's fighting the not soviets in, and he can't figure out the year.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I don’t really care if they get back to “reality.” Whatever Adam Reed needs to do in order to not get bored and disband one of the all time great comedy ensembles for a new show is fine by me.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The problem is he gets bored even when he tries new stuff. If hes done with the characters Id rather he move on

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I don’t really care if they get back to “reality.” Whatever Adam Reed needs to do in order to not get bored and disband one of the all time great comedy ensembles for a new show is fine by me.

Its disbanding in 16 episodes.

The next season after this one will be it’s last season.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    I'm torn about the setting changes. Archer Vice held consistently high quality with the notable exception of Pam becoming absolutely insufferable, Dreamland was fine with me, and the new one looks fine too, but the biggest issue is that the changes meant that the cast didnt have nearly the amount of interplay they used to have.

• Options
    I just wish he hadn’t teased us with character growth and change the season before this started

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I just wish he hadn’t teased us with character growth and change the season before this started

The problem is that character growth for awful people isn't really funny.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, Archer isn't an entertaining character to watch because he gradually becomes a better person, he's entertaining because of things like his reaction to losing his fiance to a cyborg assassin is to disappear into the Caribbean for months on end, accidentally be a pirate king, and then suck at it.

I really could not give less of a shit about him developing into somebody who knows he should at least try to be a decent father, unless it's just a way to have a different line of comedy. The Archer that gets dragged into trying to get his baby into a dumbass baby school is dealing with boring, mundane bullshit, the Archer who goes out and gets matching tattoos with the bastard son of his coworker because he thinks it's the closest thing he has to a son is actually entertaining.

The only kind of character growth that's funny out of Archer is stuff like him wising up enough to strand his cyborg nemesis in orbit instead of going to fight him in person with a power loader.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Yeah, Archer isn't an entertaining character to watch because he gradually becomes a better person, he's entertaining because of things like his reaction to losing his fiance to a cyborg assassin is to disappear into the Caribbean for months on end, accidentally be a pirate king, and then suck at it.

Man, I loved that storyline, I loved how Archer treated it like a summer camp and didnt understand why the actual pirates hated it. Though they seemed to have taken to lacrosse.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I'd prefer they kept character growth to a minimum. The show is at it's best when it's effectively sketch comedy. Character continuity in Archer is inversely proportional to funny.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    you need a certain amount of character development to keep it all from feeling weightless; it doesn't need to be a lot, but there needs to be some or else the characters stop feeling like characters. This is the problem with Dreamland, basically: it winds up just feeling like one of those SNL bits where they've run the same humor back so many times that it becomes tiresome

ed: that said I'm pretty sure Adam Reed is on the record basically saying he's gotten kinda bored and/or out of ideas, so maybe there's just no juice left

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I'm digging the Dreamland sequences. I like 40's noir and I like pulp action so I'm in.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Finally watched Dreamland

a few thoughts

Ray was super under used
    Can Barry please go away now
    Pam was great as usual

overall, I enjoyed it even if it wasn't the best.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

a few thoughts

Ray was super under used
    Pam was great as usual

I mean those apply to every season .

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

a few thoughts

Ray was super under used
    Pam was great as usual

I mean those apply to every season .

good point

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    As a person who didn't like the noir season, I'm cautiously optimistic for the new season. The big problems with last season were that the characters were separated too much and there were too many serious noir things thrown in with no real payoff. I mean, the brief flashbacks to this Archer's time in the war are an interesting stylistic touch, but they were ultimately pointless.

I'm thinking this season won't have those problems.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I just want a cut to Barry just at home with his fiance from his first appearance going"I have a feeling I should be somewhere else. Oh well!" And that's the only time we see Barry

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Hey now, Framboise was like the Pele of anal.

• Options
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Hey now, Framboise was like the Pele of anal.

Well yeah, Barry and Other Barry have more interesting things on their mind

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I'm still not entirely sure when Other Barry actually showed up. I have tried to tell if that was a thing right away or if it showed up at a certain point.

• Options
    I feel like it was right after he got his cyber bod

• Options

No, he did that from the start, he just didnt get all weird about it until after becoming a cyborg.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

No, he did that from the start, he just didnt get all weird about it until after becoming a cyborg.

So, just like the rest of Barry.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Not a lot of reaction to the premiere, which I finally got around to today. It was... not great. Show does kinda feel like it has run its course.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Not a lot of reaction to the premiere, which I finally got around to today. It was... not great. Show does kinda feel like it has run its course.

Yikes, not encouraging...

• Options
    Well just gotta wait it out until next year, maybe the final season will be real and it will at least have a proper send off.

• Options
    Actually, after reading that last post, I decided to look up the premiere (I'd actually forgotten about it) and...I like it! I dont know where all the negativity is coming from, it was pretty solid to me. My sole complaint would be about the weird choice for Kriegers character

• Options
    Well Archer is in a coma. I’m surprised they made it all of last season without doing something like that.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I have a weird thing about going further back into the past when a past based thing was already done. Like I don’t know why, but because the show already did the 1950s (I think) with Archer Noire, going to 1939 feels really weird to me. Then again I have a weird disconnect during that whole time in between WW1 and WW2. I have enjoyed stuff set in that time, but I have something bothering me at the back of my head because the war and everything around it is coming up.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Eh, I thought it was plenty funny. I didn't die or anything, but it's decent Archer. The Crackers thing is weird, but everything else is fine. Seems like a fun premise too.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    That first episode was quite funny.

The Crackers thing was probably my favorite of the bits. "because he's a parrot" is the best non-explanation ever.

I did not like last season. I would prefer to be back on the regular storyline, but this one was wayyyyyyyyy better than last season's offering at least.

Plus small side bonus I can watch with the GF without her needing to catch up on the past seasons.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    My last favorite season was Detective Agency Archer, so I think that puts me firmly in the "not a fan of dream seasons" camp. We'll see how this one goes.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The first episode was fine. Unlike Dreamland, they're focusing on the character interactions rather than the setting, which was a big part of why Dreamland didn't work.

That said we'll see if can be worthwhile.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    They made Pam bigger, didn't they? Like, "select character, increase size by 20%" bigger?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    They made Pam bigger, didn't they? Like, "select character, increase size by 20%" bigger?

Yes, they explicitly mentioned in some previews that Pam had been redesigned to be bigger and more bad-ass than ever.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Yes, they explicitly mentioned in some previews that Pam had been redesigned to be bigger and more bad-ass than ever.

Kind of broad shouldered, isnt she?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Actually, after reading that last post, I decided to look up the premiere (I'd actually forgotten about it) and...I like it! I dont know where all the negativity is coming from, it was pretty solid to me. My sole complaint would be about the weird choice for Kriegers character

It had more jokes and funny moments in it than the combination of last season, so it had that going for it.

I preferred when they made Pam a badass. I hated when they immediately rewound all of it to make her the punchline. They they continued to whip it back and forth :(

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Okay, so first episode was alright.

Second episode was... less alright. Felt like the first half was spinning its wheels setting up a problem that was resolved pretty quickly. I thought the series was going to be one long single narrative, but it seems like these first two episodes were one self-contained story and we'll be moving on to another in the next ep.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I liked the fight scene against the komodo dragons