Options

Archer: *Now* it's done

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    One of my most desired moments comes to pass.
    Ray finally meets Charles and Rudy!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    hey, what an unexpected surprise, this show doesn't suck any more! neat!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm torn on watching it. I still absolutely fucking hate that they just kicked viewers in the balls by forgetting about where they left off the original premise of the show, I dunno if I can watch even a good new season without constantly being annoyed by that.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I mean... yeah, as far as these weird alternate reality worlds go, this one's been pretty good. But I still don't think of it as the 'real' show and I don't want those characters to be left hanging perpetually.

I'm wondering if the space-gang winds up finding some parallel reality dimensional portal thing or something that lets them connect with all the other universes, including the 'Prime' one, and making bring it all back around to the original cast again somehow.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That's kind of where I'm stuck. If the showrunners are just going to ignore the "original" setting completely, I'll have to pass. Not just because it's unsatisfying, but because it's so fucking lazy to not tie up that setting in some satisfactory way. They could still do it a million different ways. They could do it with five minutes of screentime in the very last episode as long as they don't crap it up and I'd be happy.

But just ignoring the original setting? Why'd they even fucking bother with having characters arc in the first place if they were just going to drop it all and pretend it didn't exist?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    That's kind of where I'm stuck. If the showrunners are just going to ignore the "original" setting completely, I'll have to pass. Not just because it's unsatisfying, but because it's so fucking lazy to not tie up that setting in some satisfactory way. They could still do it a million different ways. They could do it with five minutes of screentime in the very last episode as long as they don't crap it up and I'd be happy.

But just ignoring the original setting? Why'd they even fucking bother with having characters arc in the first place if they were just going to drop it all and pretend it didn't exist?

My understanding is the 2 head guys in charge have a habit of starting these shows and more or less abandoning/get bored with them. Archer got started I think because they split apart after an argument dealing with .... frisky dingo? They made up after a season or two of archer I think? I kind of expected this turn, it took them much longer this time, and not to be super pissy about it, maybe we'ill get a whole story next time. I feel like those alternate timeline seasons were what was keeping the show alive. I am pretty sure when we got archer face down in the pool, that was just going to be the end of the show.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I also want to get back to the main plot.

That said, I really like this space version of Archer, so I don’t mind it so much.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Frisky Dingo and Xtacles never got properly continued either, which I'm still sad about.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options

My understanding is the 2 head guys in charge have a habit of starting these shows and more or less abandoning/get bored with them. Archer got started I think because they split apart after an argument dealing with .... frisky dingo? They made up after a season or two of archer I think? I kind of expected this turn, it took them much longer this time, and not to be super pissy about it, maybe we'ill get a whole story next time. I feel like those alternate timeline seasons were what was keeping the show alive. I am pretty sure when we got archer face down in the pool, that was just going to be the end of the show.

Eh, the way they've handled this show basically guarantees I won't be watching any more of their shows. It's one thing to wrap up something because you're bored with it (which is plenty reasonable), it's another thing entirely to set something up and then casually say "fuck you" to viewers by dropping it completely for something else. There's plenty of other shows to watch these days without showmakers that basically just waste your time simply through not giving a damn.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It’s still funny though.

Like, immensely funny.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm now all caught up to the end of season 9. Dreamland was a bit of a dip but Danger Island was better.

Honestly the 'main plot' of the show is something I've never been interested in, particularly. It's never been the attraction of the show and it's never been the focus. Mostly the plot is just something to hang as many jokes on as possible.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I understand some viewers' frustration. I've been there with many other things (what the hell is GRRM doing?!?)

With Archer, though, I don't actually care. I'm not invested in the characters or the main setting/plot. I just watch because it is funny.

And the space episodes have been super fun.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    If you think Archer's relationship with Lana hasn't been a focus of the show then I don't know what show you've been watching.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    If you think Archer's relationship with Lana hasn't been a focus of the show then I don't know what show you've been watching.

of course it is, and it continues to be explored in the alternate settings.

There was a fairly major revelation on this topic during the space episodes.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    About the actual characters or the fake ones?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I feel these complaints are a bit like asking for a timeline of Bugs Bunny cartoons.

They don't have one, they're episodic. Trying to determine an overarching plot is missing the point of them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Archer absolutely has had continuity over the seasons. It's dumbfounding to me to try to assert otherwise.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Coming from a longtime, often-suffering Simpsons fan -- overemphasizing the details of continuity will only prevent you from enjoying the good stuff. Is the show interesting? Is it well-written? Funny? Are the characters still true to themselves? In this case, I'd say yes to all the above.

Granted I could see the frustrations much more in Dreamland, since that season got too wrapped up in the setting and made it feel like a completely different show. But honestly, this season is aces, and whether or not the coma ever gets resolved isn't going to change that for me.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Coming from a longtime, often-suffering Simpsons fan -- overemphasizing the details of continuity will only prevent you from enjoying the good stuff. Is the show interesting? Is it well-written? Funny? Are the characters still true to themselves? In this case, I'd say yes to all the above.

Granted I could see the frustrations much more in Dreamland, since that season got too wrapped up in the setting and made it feel like a completely different show. But honestly, this season is aces, and whether or not the coma ever gets resolved isn't going to change that for me.

I agree with all of this, but I still would like for the coma to be resolved

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I dunno, most of the jokes only land because of the continuity; archer and lana as star crossed lovers, scatalogical humor with pam, etc. Continuing to run those back without really iterating on the characters winds up making them feel really stale, at least to me

I do think this season is going better than the couple previous but I do wish they'd do more with the hanging 'main' plot, even if it was only like a segment of an ep here or there

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Some Inception style cutaways to the "real" world but without much context could be fun.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Some Inception style cutaways to the "real" world but without much context could be fun.

They did that in the worst of these fever dream seasons...

If we cut back to the real cast, I want it to happen in the context of setting up a whole new season.

Like, let archer be 20 years older, close to burt reynolds in age from earlier, let his daughter be in the family business, let lana have moved on and maybe married cyril, set the stage for some epic funny.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I think Jon Hamm is gettable for them now after a cooling off period from mad men. They just need to do a couple live action episodes. Maybe over dub him with JHB for more comedy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Just have Archer wake up from his coma and immediately hit on the nurse that's in the room. With the joke being that the nurse is either AJ or a theoretical granddaughter. They both become horrified at the realization, smash cut to the credits.

sig.gif
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »

I was hoping we’d cut back to his hospital room and then whatever happened there that he heard would then influence his coma when we went back to it to comical effect.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I think Jon Hamm is gettable for them now after a cooling off period from mad men. They just need to do a couple live action episodes. Maybe over dub him with JHB for more comedy.

Pfft he's a sea captian

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I have to catch up on this. There’s like a hundred seasons now, right?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I have to catch up on this. There’s like a hundred seasons now, right?

You don't have to catch up to anything. Just watch the newest season.

• Options
    I never actually made it all the way through Archer Vice and I tried twice.

That was like 95 seasons ago.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    I never actually made it all the way through Archer Vice and I tried twice.

That was like 95 seasons ago.

The next two seasons after Acher Vice (6 and 7) are really good. Definitely skip Dreamland (Season 8). Danger Island (Season 9) is okay but if you had trouble with Archer Vice I'd say skip it. The current season (season 10) is aces.

• Options
    Ok cool, thanks.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Dreamland was good!

I'd give it a 4!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Danger Island.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Well Archer just got renewed for... holy shit... season 11?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/archer-renewed-season-11-fxx-1225818

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Archer: Space has been the best of their deviant season for me (both because of genre and execution), but I'm not sure how much more than can get outta this that isn't just fan fawn.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It says it's likely to return to the spy roots in that story.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Well Archer just got renewed for... holy shit... season 11?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/archer-renewed-season-11-fxx-1225818
    "We are incredibly excited for our 11th season and look forward to Archer waking up from his coma and returning to a spy world that has continued without him for the past three years," said Willis.

People can finally relax.

• Options
    Heavy details on season 11 here. Archer will wake up — and find out everyone’s changed and moved on. They’ll still going to do spy stuff, but Archer’s atrophied so much he has to use a cane.

http://share.ew.com/C02jwsL

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nobody cares about his father? FX person

Fuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkkk Yoooooooouuuuu!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Tacti-cane

Oh brilliant