As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] thread: Aliens. Superhereos. Mayo. Games for all!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Is XCOM 2 the sort of game that really benefits from being on an SSD, or would it be fine on a mechanical drive?

Keeping in mind that my blazing fast SSD is only 240GB and filled with racing sims and my mechanical has plenty of free space but is a 4800RPM power saving drive that reads data at warp slow.

Definately install XCOM 2 on an SSD because the load times are absolutely brutal without one.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Is XCOM 2 the sort of game that really benefits from being on an SSD, or would it be fine on a mechanical drive?

Keeping in mind that my blazing fast SSD is only 240GB and filled with racing sims and my mechanical has plenty of free space but is a 4800RPM power saving drive that reads data at warp slow.

Definately install XCOM 2 on an SSD because the load times are absolutely brutal without one.

Tbh, they're pretty brutal with one.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I've discovered the only problem to leaving my laptop open to finish downloading Steam stuff during the Super Bowl:
    1) Lappy gets warm.

2) Warmth attracts kitteh.

3) Kitteh steps all over keyboard and manages to plant a paw on the power button and forcibly power down the system.

4) I come in to see how my downloading is going and end up all omgwtfbbq and trying to see what hardware or software failed and lead to a shutdown.

5) Windows doesn't boot the first time round. Images of empty pockets from lappy repairs abound.

6) Windows boots the second time and I relax a bit. Open up internet, look up at the address bar and find a mess of text that can only be a cat plopped on a warm keyboard instead of the web address for the Steam Thread.

7) Mutter "I'm too old for this crap..." and launch antiviral scans to be followed by maintenance to doublecheck.

TL;DR: Cat powers down laptop while I'm in the other room watching the game and nearly gives me a heart attack due to thinking some major component failed.

Which is why I always, always have my laptop (and previous ones) set to "do nothing" in the power settings when the lid is closed, and close it when it's unattended. Pro tip!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

People seem to expect that it's CPU gated more than GPU or read/write gated. Sometimes I have long load times, other times I have pretty quick load times.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

Tbh, they're pretty brutal with one.

1h25RO9.jpg ??

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Man, Underrail, that final Protectorate mission. That was rough.

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    *Waves shiny things in front of everyone to distract them*
    Hopefully that works for you @Madican

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

People seem to expect that it's CPU gated more than GPU or read/write gated. Sometimes I have long load times, other times I have pretty quick load times.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a combination seeing as how the game has to generate a new map every mission. My load times are relatively quick since I have the game on an SSD and a juiced up CPU. But a my friend who has it installed on a platter drive has load times that are legendary.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    On XCOM 2: I agree, my load times are okay and I have my install on a mechanical drive. Granted, I have a decent GPU and a high-tier CPU so that seems to cut my load times by a lot. Granted, I haven't really done much and I haven't tried messing with the graphics options since I've been kinda occupied this weekend.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TreadLifeTreadLife CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I've heard such good things about this game from friends that I'm tempted to give you a Men's Wearhouse level of guarantee on it.

JaysonFour wrote: »
    So, now after those have installed (and a little while of playing with my niece- who's currently getting the last of the pizza we made for dinner), I came back to quickly check on my latest download and to start another one.

Oh, look. Another green envelope... :biggrin: :

WNLGGgf.png

Many thanks to Kalnaur for Evoland! A short story of the evolution of adventure games... looks like a lot of fun!

In other words...

szc2P7l.jpg?2

because of you guys. You're all awesome people. Never forget that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    @Antoshka is a monster as expected lol

Thanks for Frozen Cortex and Frozen Synapse.

"6:22 PM - Antoshka: apparently he did indeed do what you thought he just did
    6:22 PM - Antoshka: score two for the blockade runners?
    6:23 PM - Antoshka: oh, also
    6:23 PM - Antoshka: [code]
    6:23 PM - Antoshka: [code]"

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    I'm sorry my jingling of shiny things didn't work....
    Maybe you need to all be more chill like this kitten :hydra:

k9q3n3b7ep2e.gif

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Jingling shiny things attracts cats. Did you know that?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Big hearty thank you to @spoit for the gift of Her Story! I've been dying to check this one out and figure it would run on the laptop so yay another game!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Her Story is amazing!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    @JaysonFour is truely a monster. Who sends someone creepy cats! <3

9skwga1xl6cs.jpg

steam_sig.png

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    3309rWL.png?1

Sounds legit. Would hate to think anyone could fall for that but then again when you hear 77k Steam accounts are hijacked each month you start to wonder.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Finally, everything is downloaded! Every single Steam game I have is in one convenient place, all lined up for me to beat.

So I celebrated with a quick playthrough of Bleed, which still holds up after all this time. It's still fun even today.

Time to hit the old backlog!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I reads so oddly. Especially since, are best, the reality is that concurrent development only 'favors' consoles due to factors like expected sales or, yes, general hardware limitations. PC versions still generally end up looking better anyway. And there has to be so many diminishing returns the higher up you go.

That article, at least up to that point (is there any more anyway?) Semms like it's just trying to stoke a platform war for click bait.

• Options
    EVERYBODY BUY LIFE IS STRANGE RIGHT NOW

So goooooooooood. It's a fantastically well done story but what really hit me is that I got a text fro ma friend I haven't seen in 5 yrs to let me know he's getting married and that he'd like me to attend and also to meet up beforehand and just catch up. THE FUCKING SIMILARITIES TO THE GAME. HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. I mean granted the intricate details are not the same but the fact the main character bumps into her old mate and the awkwardness and everything...... it was so surreal. I'm fucking shaking.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    3309rWL.png?1

Sounds legit. Would hate to think anyone could fall for that but then again when you hear 77k Steam accounts are hijacked each month you start to wonder.

Hmmm. That does sound appealing, grammatically challenged eBay offer. And you did say I can trust you and I won't be disappointed. That part's airtight. But what can you offer in the way of proof?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Iolo wrote: »
    3309rWL.png?1

Hmmm. That does sound appealing, grammatically challenged eBay offer. And you did say I can trust you and I won't be disappointed. That part's airtight. But what can you offer in the way of proof?

ynhCk.png

Isorn on
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    3309rWL.png?1

anyone falling for that pretty much deserves to lose their steam account

the next Humble monthly has Ark: Survival Evolved as the game you get straight away which seems like a good deal for $12, I may have to pick this one up

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Big Classy wrote: »
    EVERYBODY BUY LIFE IS STRANGE RIGHT NOW

So goooooooooood. It's a fantastically well done story but what really hit me is that I got a text fro ma friend I haven't seen in 5 yrs to let me know he's getting married and that he'd like me to attend and also to meet up beforehand and just catch up. THE FUCKING SIMILARITIES TO THE GAME. HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT. I mean granted the intricate details are not the same but the fact the main character bumps into her old mate and the awkwardness and everything...... it was so surreal. I'm fucking shaking.

Fun fact.
    Isy only has episode 1 of the game.

Isorn on
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    THERE, Fallout 4 DONE. The main story, anyways. For one of the factions. My thoughts on the ending?
    Sure sounds like they're getting ready for some DLC/expansion, to make you find out if that really is your kid, or a synth.

Last night I played some Long Dark and Project Zomboid. Felt good to leave FO4 behind.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    THERE, Fallout 4 DONE. The main story, anyways. For one of the factions. My thoughts on the ending?
    Sure sounds like they're getting ready for some DLC/expansion, to make you find out if that really is your kid, or a synth.

Last night I played some Long Dark and Project Zomboid. Felt good to leave FO4 behind.

Uhhh
    Your kid is Father, the leader of the institute.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    THIS IS BULLSHIT
    I TRIED TO GIVE THE REMAINING EPISODES TO ISY BUT HE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO RECEIVE THEM
    I DON'T THINK I CAN GIFT GAMES TO PEOPLE
    FUCK
    so unfair.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    THIS IS BULLSHIT
    I TRIED TO GIVE THE REMAINING EPISODES TO ISY BUT HE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO RECEIVE THEM
    FUCK
    so unfair.

Apologies busy but I've been a bit absent from the thread.... Did your account get messed up? Also, no gifts!

• Options
    THIS IS BULLSHIT
    FUCK
    so unfair.

Apologies busy but I've been a bit absent from the thread.... Did your account get messed up? Also, no gifts!

South America. Region locks I think cause the issue.

• Options
    f3rret wrote: »

Uhhh
    Your kid is Father, the leader of the institute.
    Yeah I know that's what they told us. I just got the impression that they wanted us to second-guess it all and wonder if the 10 year old at the end really was our kid, and Father was bluffing all along.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    THIS IS BULLSHIT
    FUCK
    so unfair.

South America. Region locks I think cause the issue.

yup, this.
    My purchases can only be added to libraries in South and Central America. I can /send/ them to any of you guys, but unless you live in CA or SA, you wouldn't be able to add. Just regift... to someone in CA or SA.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    You can gift people stuff if you happen to buy it from a site that sells ROW keys I guess.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I told @Stormwatcher the clear solution was that he needed to bring more Brazilians to the PA forums. There are so many cheap Nuuvem games that need gifting!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    I told @Stormwatcher the clear solution was that he needed to bring more Brazilians to the PA forums. There are so many cheap Nuuvem games that need gifting!

THIS is clearly the best solution.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Oh if only

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Seems silly that you can't buy from outside your region as a gift for someone. Like, keep the store in your local currency, but if you open a friend page that's in a different region, there should be a separate purchase process for that. Big disclaimers and everything, and make sure it's clear that you're buying a gift for person X using whatever currency, and this will cost you this much money plus the conversion fees on your credit card, etc.

May not be worth it development wise though. I'm not sure how many other groups of people are as classy as this thread.
    None. There is nothing as classy as this thread.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    [

*looks a few posts up*
    Big hearty thank you to spoit for the gift of Her Story! I've been dying to check this one out and figure it would run on the laptop so yay another game!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So I've been busy in Ark most of the weekend how are you gu......

*looks around, sees gift war in progress, begins to back slowly away*

I'm just gonna go back to my Mosasaur now...

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
This discussion has been closed.