Options

[Fallout] Nuka World out now. Better mascots than you have tried!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I just started this game over the weekend. I'm level 9 and I feel like my build is a mess. I don't have any good weapons yet, so I'm basically just picking random perks each time I level up. There's no plan here.

I've just been doing a mix of exploration and story completion. I'm on the story mission now to find Nick Valentine after just making it to Diamond City. I've got Piper with me right now as a companion.

But like, other than story I don't really have a plan.

I'm interested in everything, and there are so many options that it's a bit paralyzing with what to do.

Like, I want to build an awesome settlement. I've got the season pass, so I have access to all the extra junk. And I want to see the story. I want to explore around and have random adventure. I want to find neat weapons and become a badass. I want to go get a killer death robot as a companion, but I know I need to be 15 to access the DLC. So I really don't have much of a plan.

If you want to explore the game and try out the settlement stuff, go for intelligence and charisma.

• Options
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Far Harbor does offer a few small tie-ins to the main story, in that you can claim you are from whatever faction you happen to be a member of (or even claim all of them, one right after the other, presuming you have joined them and not progressed the main story far enough to lock anyone out). It also requires you to have found Nick Valentine, but that happens pretty early on in terms of the story.

Level-wise, the DLCs are locked behind certain levels (mentioned a couple posts up), but otherwise it doesn't matter what level you are, since they scale with you. I would at least suggest you trick out your guns as much as possible just to make the first part of Nuka World bearable though.

Hmmm

My character is a brawler based on Saitaima. I carry the Deliverer for shooting turrets, and a Fatman for shooting verti birds.

Maybe I should hire MacCready before I go to Nuka World.

You get a good follower almost right off. Dude has stock like a weapon merchant (through conversation) and his bonus is pretty Skippy if memory serves.

Explosives are also good for that first area, might want to leave the minion at the door if you don't want to aggro everything

Hmmm

Maybe I'll pump up perception enough to get the grenade perk.

The pistol perk is in the agility tree though.

Hmmmm

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I just started this game over the weekend. I'm level 9 and I feel like my build is a mess. I don't have any good weapons yet, so I'm basically just picking random perks each time I level up. There's no plan here.

I've just been doing a mix of exploration and story completion. I'm on the story mission now to find Nick Valentine after just making it to Diamond City. I've got Piper with me right now as a companion.

I'm interested in everything, and there are so many options that it's a bit paralyzing with what to do.

Like, I want to build an awesome settlement. I've got the season pass, so I have access to all the extra junk. And I want to see the story. I want to explore around and have random adventure. I want to find neat weapons and become a badass. I want to go get a killer death robot as a companion, but I know I need to be 15 to access the DLC. So I really don't have much of a plan.

If you want to explore the game and try out the settlement stuff, go for intelligence and charisma.

So regarding settlements -- is there a "Best Settlement" location? Is Sanctuary the best? Should I be investing a bunch of time here, or is there another location with a better starting layout and physical environment that makes for a better settlement later?

Basically, I don't want to waste a lot of time building up Sanctuary if there's a better spot somewhere else.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    You don't have to make a decision right away.

Preston and the survivors you take to Sanctuary can either be fun or very, very annoying. If you end up liking them, Sanctuary is a good spot.

If they drive you nuts, there are lots of good spots.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary, Nordhagen Beach, Starlight Drive In, Vault 88, and possibly The Castle allow for some Minecraftesque construction projects.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Yeah, it depends on what you want of it, and if you enjoy the Minutemen stuff.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    My second batch of mod recommendations covers UIs, HUDs, the Inventory system, and Pip-Boys, because reasons
    Again I either use or have used all of these mods
    DEF_UI by Valdacil
    http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10654/?

https://youtu.be/puzGu4Cm2VQ

This is actually 2 separate mods: DEF_HUD and DEF_INV
    DEF_HUD allows you to change the HUD to your liking, (generally making it less gigantic and intrusive) you can customize it yourself like Gopher shows you in the video, or download some presets from the Nexus

DEF_INV is a lot like SKY_UI in Skyrim. Makes the inventory system just plain better and more suited to PCs. Has separate tabs for your items. Requires AWKCR, which I will cover next time.

I also highly recommend the next mod with both of these

Valdacil's Item Sorting by Valdacil
    http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3877/?

(Look above for a video)

VIS adds tags to almost everything in your inventory and then sorts those tags so that everything is easy to find, and most of those tags appear as a little icon (i.e. A pistol icon for a pistol). You can expand the Icon Library here. It also separates things like notes, holotapes, keys, chems, irradiated food, and cooked food into their own separate categories so that your aid and misc tabs are not 500 miles long. Requires AWKCR

Pleasant UI by ImBlindMG
    http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3857/?

Imitates the HUD from Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Not compatible with DEF_UI or VIS, but there is a DEF_HUD preset that gives you a similar effect called Pleasant_DEF_HUD

LooksMenu by expired6978
    http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12631/?

https://youtu.be/he-azBfIkn8

Does two major things: 1) puts in a menu on the right side of the character creation screens that lets you select features from a list (doesn't change the drag and pull aspect), and 2) lets you save and load character presets
    Requires F4SE (Fallout 4 Script Extender)

Better Wait Menu by registrator2000
    http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9437/?

https://youtu.be/IUJhnttPHos

Let's you wait for 99 hours at a time, with options for hour-by-hour like vanilla or all at once

Improved Map with Visible Roads by mm137
    http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1215/?

This is just my personal favorite Pip-Boy map. Has actual roads makes on it, with options for a grid system, area boundaries, and brightness. There are many other map mods out there, I'd suggest getting one

Pip-Boy Customisation Framework by Aether89
    http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17012/?

https://youtu.be/feea8G6t8N8

Lets you change your Pip-Boy's look, unequip it, and upgrade it with new functionality

Pip-Boy Flashlight by akkalat85
    http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10840/?

https://youtu.be/vRNJmUyx8jc

changes the Pip-Boy light into a directional flashlight, with options for light cast distance, shadows, lens type, and more. Also applies changes to the power armor headlamp, configured separately

Joolander on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

So regarding settlements -- is there a "Best Settlement" location? Is Sanctuary the best? Should I be investing a bunch of time here, or is there another location with a better starting layout and physical environment that makes for a better settlement later?

Basically, I don't want to waste a lot of time building up Sanctuary if there's a better spot somewhere else.

Sanctuary is fine early on but it eventually becomes rather out of the way. The Castle is my main HQ, where I keep all of my loot and companions, but there's other settlements with more building space. Spectacle Island is the largest.

But all you really need to worry about is where you plop down your storage chests to keep your stuff at since that's where you'll keep going back to all the time. There's nothing wasted by making a settlement awesome, and I've been grabbing mods to add even more settlements so I can make even more settlements awesome.

With mods and DLCs I think I current have like 55 possible settlements, and at least 45 of those are in at least some level of use.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    What makes a good settlement also very much depends on what type of game you are playing.

For example, if you are playing in Survival mode and thus don't have any fast travel available, Sanctuary is a horrible settlement because it's so far away from where you'll be for a great majority of the game. Hangman's Alley makes a good choice for its central location and proximity to Diamond City, but there are some others that work just as well in that area, like Ober-something Station or Jamaica Plains. Grey Garden also happens to be a favorite of mine due to the ready-made farm and robots (who don't need beds) to tend them. It also has a highway overpass that you can build up to for a secret hideaway base.

If you are not in Survival but don't have Charisma 6 to eventually build your own workbenches, Sanctuary Hills and Red Rocket are pretty much the only settlements that come with all of them (there might be others but I can't come up with them at this moment).

Other than those limitations, take your time and look around... different settlements can be appealing for different reasons, and building up one settlement to get yourself comfortable will almost certainly not limit your ability to build others later; there are plenty of materials in the world to go around.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    yeah soooo

i finished far harbor

i may have slightly underestimated nuclear hyper mode's potential damage output

20161005105155_1_zpsi0meiwpk.jpg

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Ok, so this is a little embarrassing to even be asking this...

How do I break down common junk items into craftable materials? Such as coffee pots, hotplates, alarm clocks, and so forth?

I've figured out how to break down weapons, I do that at Weapon Workbenches. And I can break down armor pieces at Armor Workbenches.

But at the general Workstation at my town, it appears to be crafting only. So how do I break apart all this random crap I'm carrying?

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    You don't need to. Just stuff it in the workbench and start building things.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    The system will automatically break it down when you go to build things. If you want to break it down yourself, you need to pull it out of the workshop, drop it on the ground, and hit the scrap button when looking at it in build mode.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Ok, so this is a little embarrassing to even be asking this...

How do I break down common junk items into craftable materials? Such as coffee pots, hotplates, alarm clocks, and so forth?

I've figured out how to break down weapons, I do that at Weapon Workbenches. And I can break down armor pieces at Armor Workbenches.

But at the general Workstation at my town, it appears to be crafting only. So how do I break apart all this random crap I'm carrying?

As noted, the system will automatically break down junk items for their materials on an as-needed basis. If you want to manually break then down, drop them on the ground, go into workshop mode, highlight the item, and you should have an option to scrap the item.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Need to get back in Fallout 4. Got the cheap season pass a long time ago.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Starlight Drive-In is a pretty good settlement in a vanilla game, simply because it's very flat and there's lots of room to build. You'll notice a lot of user-made settlements floating around the internet are placed there. I think it's a little low on dirt space and water options, though, if that's an issue.

If you're playing a modded version with Scrap Anything, pretty much anywhere can be turned into a good settlement, although some take more work than others. Sanctuary is actually pretty good in that regard, once you scrap a lot of the annoying static objects, and the build radius is nice and expansive.

If you're interested in staying toward the bottom of the map there's a big farm built on an old sewage plant... can't remember the name but there's already some nice, non-shitty-looking structures you can use, settlers that actually have a personality, and lots of water and flat ground.

One thing I did learn about building settlements is, it's a hell of a lot easier if you have a lot of concrete for foundations. Most of the settlements aren't on level ground and it makes placing floors and structures janky and difficult. I usually work around that by setting everything a few feet off the ground with the foundation, and make the buildings accessible by stairs. It looks better and seems more practical to me anyway, given the sorts of things that live on the ground in the FO universe.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Dirt space is an issue in starlight drive-in, but that small lake in the middle is pretty well suited for purifiers. Plus dirt space isn't an issue if you use planter mods (In fact, I THINK they might have added planters to the actual game no mods needed? It's hard to tell)

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I wish there was water at the Red Rocket next to Sanctuary. I'm looking to turn it into a hideout, while still keeping its gas station character, and that's the only thing it is really missing.

• Options
    Yeah, there's definitely planters in the vanilla game if you have all the DLC. Snappable greenhouses, too - I had them both on my XBone save.

I can't remember which of the DLC they came with, though.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I wish there was water at the Red Rocket next to Sanctuary. I'm looking to turn it into a hideout, while still keeping its gas station character, and that's the only thing it is really missing.

I believe Nuka World added a more powerful version of the basic water pump that doesn't need water.

• Options
    Wasteland Workshop has a powered water pump that you put in dirt and it draws it out of a well.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Powered_water_pump

• Options
    Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    So, due to the new assault rifle from Nuka World having some mods locked behind having Commando, and it just looking rad, is it worth dropping the 5 stat points into Commando?

I'm level 112 or so, have 13 points waiting to be used and having been using my Legendary Explosive Assault Rifle for a long time now with maxed out Rifleman. Though with all the things popping out of the ground right next to you in Nuka World I think I might go back and max out the limb damage perk. Other thought was maxing out Bloody Mess as I don't have any points in there now.

Thoughts?

XBL - TeenageHead
  • Options
    What mods in particular? Some need Commando and some need Rifleman. You may not need Commando if you're running a semi-auto receiver on it.

• Options
    Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    Curious about exploring the automatic features, otherwise my base game Exploding Assault Rifle does better damage. Have we found that the automatic weapons aren't worth it? I seem to still run into trouble when they are used against me, but not sure how they compare. The only automatic I used was the that unique legendary from Cricket, the explosive submachine gun, which was good early on before maxing out rifleman and the associated mods.

XBL - TeenageHead
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    automatics are pretty solid, in my experience

the ammo consumption is the only real issue I've had with them

edit: the legendary 7.62 rifles you can get are OP as all hell, incidentally

the damage bonus after repeated hits is huge and kicks in basically immediately

a short burst will kill a high-tier deathclaw

Elendil on
  • Options
    I can't imagine ammo is an issue on level 112...

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    So, due to the new assault rifle from Nuka World having some mods locked behind having Commando, and it just looking rad, is it worth dropping the 5 stat points into Commando?

I'm level 112 or so, have 13 points waiting to be used and having been using my Legendary Explosive Assault Rifle for a long time now with maxed out Rifleman. Though with all the things popping out of the ground right next to you in Nuka World I think I might go back and max out the limb damage perk. Other thought was maxing out Bloody Mess as I don't have any points in there now.

Thoughts?

High level automatic weapons are delightfully powerful. The primary drawback is how much ammo they use. You'll have to regularly restock at vendors and carry large amounts around, which may be something you don't want to deal with on survival. Also, they're less suited to VATS combat so if for some reason you're allergic to manually aiming, you won't like them.

• Options
    Duffel wrote: »
    you kidding me? With how the level scaling works, things would be sponges of the highest talent at that high a level. You could probably unload 4 or 5 clips into an enemy and they'd barely feel it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Yeah, when I played fallout 3 up past level 50 or so, I turned the difficult down, becuase things were taking way too much damage

• Options
    heenato wrote: »
    you kidding me? With how the level scaling works, things would be sponges of the highest talent at that high a level. You could probably unload 4 or 5 clips into an enemy and they'd barely feel it.

I've never made it to that level before, honestly. With how abundant caps are and the general lack of new things to buy after Level 30ish, I figured any player that high up would be rolling in ammo.

That's how I usually was in the endgame in FO3/NV. Like, 8000 Microfusion Cells, 400 stimpacks and what have you.

• Options
    heenato wrote: »

I've never made it to that level before, honestly. With how abundant caps are and the general lack of new things to buy after Level 30ish, I figured any player that high up would be rolling in ammo.

That's how I usually was in the endgame in FO3/NV. Like, 8000 Microfusion Cells, 400 stimpacks and what have you.
    Maybe so, but it would take about half of those for a single deathclaw.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I've never been level 112, but I've gotten a couple characters into the 70s, and have generally found the enemy scaling in Fallout 4 to be way less horrible than in Fallout 3 or New Vegas. This is especially true on Survival, which is balanced around everyone being fairly squishy (including the player).

Overall, I love automatic weapons in Fallout 4, especially the assault rifles that were introduced by Nuka World. It just feels awesome to have a pile of ghouls running at me, only to get mowed down as I hold the trigger and give them a lead shower.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I don't even think that New Vegas was as bad as FO:3 for bullet sponges (with then notable exception of Old World Blues, everything in that location was annoying as hell). The albino radscorpions in 3 were just awful.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    The build I'm doing now just completely shits on bullet sponginess as a concept

I don't even fully understand how I'm doing as much damage as I am

Like, an explosive 10mm with no ranks of demo expert is doing solid ass damage

I found a Bloodied combat knife going into Nuka World, and now that thing does like 1500 damage

I one-shot the nukalurk queen

Without a sneak attack

Hell, even the fucking shishkebab is serviceable

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I don't even think that New Vegas was as bad as FO:3 for bullet sponges (with then notable exception of Old World Blues, everything in that location was annoying as hell). The albino radscorpions in 3 were just awful.

It's those new units they added into fo4 in that ramp the sponge multiplier for me, stock units have been a non issue.

• Options
    DreadBert wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

It's those new units they added into fo4 in that ramp the sponge multiplier for me, stock units have been a non issue.

New units that roam the Commonwealth or are they limited to the DLC areas?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The unofficial patch will soon be transitioning to a single patch for all DLC. Modular patching is kind of messy.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Bullet sponginess is why I hate skills that give raw damage boosts to your weapons. It makes things hard to balance. Especially if you try to maintain balance across the spectrum between ultra min-max combat specialists that get +2500% to damage when attacking mutants on a Sunday between the hours of six and ten after eating a balanced breakfast and overdosing on combat chems, total pacifists who can't find a gun's safety, and hybrid builds in between.

I'd rather see health and damage values kept constant at every level. A bullet is just as lethal at level 1 as level 100. Instead boost your proficiency as you level up, better accuracy /recoil compensation /reload speed, etc. The same for the enemies. The progress from imperial storm trooper marksmanship Academy levels of proficiency towards Jason Bourne. Preferably the more elite goons would learn the value of taking cover, suppressing fire, and flanking you while you're pinned.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    I don't like the basic damage perks either, but i do not agree with that solution at all

just making you be shitty at everything at the start would be super irritating

that's what mass effect 1 did, and it was actually the worst

i think kind of modifying new vegas' skill system might work; gate particular weapons behind a proficiency tier perk (maybe with a token damage bonus of 5% per rank) - you can use the 10mm out of the gate with no problem, but you're gonna have to wait on that gauss rifle. considering the game has a fairly aggressive leveled list system going on, this is more or less what's happening anyway.

weapons you don't meet requirements for are still usable with diminished effects, and maybe increased proficiency levels open up new, better mods for low tier weapons like 10mm.

the skyrim style damage perks are terrible for so many reasons. they bloat the numbers and scaling, and they really cement you into a particular choice, because once you hit rank 4 or 5 of one of them, it is never, ever going to be worth using something not covered by it. in order to pivot into another playstyle you're looking at another 4 to 5 perk investment.

• Options
    Better AI for higher level enemies would be great, but it's Bethesda we're talking about here. I'm not a fan of starting off with horrible accuracy. Blazing away, doing no damage, and then running out of ammo doesn't sound like much fun. Maybe some level scaling formula that takes into account your max damage bonus. As is, I think the totally breakable nature of combat is just one of those Bethesda things I'm willing to put up with and/or totally exploit.