Options

[Fallout] Nuka World out now. Better mascots than you have tried!

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    On the other hand, why would it be balanced? If somebody is dealing +2500% damage, maybe things should just die.

If things don't die, you end up with all that damage-investment not really changing much from the early game when both player and enemy are weak, and at the same time, it changes to harder without that damage-investment.
    So you're investing to make things stay the same, and not investing is the thing that changes stuff in a bad way, and there's no option that changes the situation in a favourable way, and you get the opposite of what you select either way.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm having a really good time with my alternate universe Saitaima. I just wish I could get the face right. I try and try and try, and I can't get him to look like anything other than Jason Statham Who Shaved His Face Today.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I mean in fairness Jason Statham does kick ass.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    I think my problem is on the eyebrows area, and the nose.

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    DreadBert wrote: »
    I don't even think that New Vegas was as bad as FO:3 for bullet sponges (with then notable exception of Old World Blues, everything in that location was annoying as hell). The albino radscorpions in 3 were just awful.

It's those new units they added into fo4 in that ramp the sponge multiplier for me, stock units have been a non issue.

New units that roam the Commonwealth or are they limited to the DLC areas?

Only noticed them on dlc areas in any numbers

On the skills doubling damage, if they tied mod crafting to specific weapon skills like the AK stuff in NW and still gave is the the existing secondary skill bonuses they would be great

Melee is where it's just pants on head broken multipliers

• Options
    I don't even think that New Vegas was as bad as FO:3 for bullet sponges (with then notable exception of Old World Blues, everything in that location was annoying as hell). The albino radscorpions in 3 were just awful.

It's those new units they added into fo4 in that ramp the sponge multiplier for me, stock units have been a non issue.

New units that roam the Commonwealth or are they limited to the DLC areas?

Only noticed them on dlc areas in any numbers

On the skills doubling damage, if they tied mod crafting to specific weapon skills like the AK stuff in NW and still gave is the the existing secondary skill bonuses they would be great

Melee is where it's just pants on head crazy multipliers

• Options
    edited October 2016
    11 in strength and agility, iron fist, blitz, sneak, and rooted make for some good times.

I'm raising my character's luck now that Im level 34 and I can't get any more levels in perks I want.

I started with one luck, I'm going to use it as a dump stat, I think. First luck perk I want is bloody mess.

I'm about to side with the Railroad and destroy the Institute.

Now is probably a good time to nuy whatever DLC I want, right?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    11 in strength and agility, iron fist, blitz, sneak, and rooted make for some good times.

I'm raising my character's luck now that Im level 34 and I can't get any more levels in perks I want.

I started with one luck, I'm going to use it as a dump stat, I think. First luck perk I want is bloody mess.

I'm about to side with the Railroad and destroy the Institute.

Now is probably a good time to nuy whatever DLC I want, right?

Isn't the winter sale right around the corner? Might be prudent to wait a bit longer for a better price.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @Konphujun
    Which winter sale? I play on ps4. And it's only October 12.

I don't buy enough games to know when there are sales.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    If I'm interested in buying far harbor, Nuka World and waste land work shop, I should probably just buy the season pass, right?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    If I'm interested in buying far harbor, Nuka World and waste land work shop, I should probably just buy the season pass, right?

I'd honestly wait for a sale. I bought the season pass at $30 when it first hit so I felt okay with what I got, but I would not pay $49 for the amount of content you get.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Elendil wrote: »
    I don't like the basic damage perks either, but i do not agree with that solution at all

just making you be shitty at everything at the start would be super irritating

that's what mass effect 1 did, and it was actually the worst

That was one of the things Obsidian said people really hated about alpha protocol and new vegas at release(and was toned down later): you would find a new rifle or something, and because you had no skill, you would aim at an enemy from 20 feet away and the bullet would go off into the weeds somewhere, because spread was linked to skill. People hated that, and they said they just got so much bad feedback they relented and reduced the effect a ton in later NV patches.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Is is viable to just rely mostly on crafting perks early on to mod up your weapons/armor instead of dumping points into gunslinger/rifleman/toughness/etc.?

Like just beeline armorer, science!, gun nut, and other crafting perks as soon as possible.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Is is viable to just rely mostly on crafting perks early on to mod up your weapons/armor instead of dumping points into gunslinger/rifleman/toughness/etc.?

Like just beeline armorer, science!, gun nut, and other crafting perks as soon as possible.
    They'll be forcibly spaced out with level reqs. In fact, the crafting perks tend to lag behind the random drops in the wild, so it's probably the slowest means of damage progression. Don't recommend it.

Toughness is fairly skippable. 50 DR isn't that much.

• Options
    50 DR does work nicely with moving target and rooted to make clothes without DR "OK."

I think I'm just going to buy the season pass.

I want to play it now, while I am in still engaged with the game. I don't want to want a month or two for it to go on sale.

• Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

I'd honestly wait for a sale. I bought the season pass at $30 when it first hit so I felt okay with what I got, but I would not pay $49 for the amount of content you get.

*shrugs*

[Ps4] I'm at 35+ days playtime on my current run (screwing with settlements gets silly).. first pass was something like 18 days to meander through the base game.

• Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

The xpacks effectively added a sequel and a half worth of content. Not sure how that doesn't have $49 of value. Two zone expansions, a host of content additions, and countless hours of added gameplay aren't worth a premium price? Hm. Alright. Pretty harsh appraisal.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Fallout 4 got the same amount of DLC that Skyrim did.

• Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Fallout 4 got the same amount of DLC that Skyrim did.
    Skyrim had 3 DLC packs, Dawnguard, Dragonborn, Hearthfire.

Fallout 4 has had Automatron, Far Harbor, Nuka World, Vault Tec Workshop, Wasteland Workshop, Contraptions. Even if you bundle the workshop packs and contraptions together you still end up with significantly more product.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Look at it this way: is the season pass worth 5/6ths as much as the base game? It doesn't add new engine features, it doesn't add anywhere near 5/6ths as many assets, it only adds something like 3 levels to pre-existing perks which are just higher numbers than the previous levels, and if I had to guess it isn't going to take me 5/6ths as much time to complete the DLC as it took me to beat the base game. I don't care a whit about the settlement options, but buying only the DLC I want would cost more than the season pass (by 5$). I'm not going to bother until everything is at least 50% off.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    if you arent into towncrafting fallout 4s dlc is pretty wanting, and for the most part under delivers with the exception of Far Harbor. technically the engine moved forward a great deal but i think that it wont be capitalized on until the next ES game.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Do you mean that the engine moved forward a great deal in the DLC specifically? That's what I was referring to.

• Options
    Both far harbor and nuka world had more playtime then most (non-sandbox) single player games I've done on ps4.

• Options
    That's cool, but you're using a different metric than I was.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't like the basic damage perks either, but i do not agree with that solution at all

just making you be shitty at everything at the start would be super irritating

that's what mass effect 1 did, and it was actually the worst

i think kind of modifying new vegas' skill system might work; gate particular weapons behind a proficiency tier perk (maybe with a token damage bonus of 5% per rank) - you can use the 10mm out of the gate with no problem, but you're gonna have to wait on that gauss rifle. considering the game has a fairly aggressive leveled list system going on, this is more or less what's happening anyway.

weapons you don't meet requirements for are still usable with diminished effects, and maybe increased proficiency levels open up new, better mods for low tier weapons like 10mm.

the skyrim style damage perks are terrible for so many reasons. they bloat the numbers and scaling, and they really cement you into a particular choice, because once you hit rank 4 or 5 of one of them, it is never, ever going to be worth using something not covered by it. in order to pivot into another playstyle you're looking at another 4 to 5 perk investment.

Nah, don't hard gate weapons.

Tie weapon skill into the repair/maintenance of the weapon. At lower skill, the weapon is more likely jam and takes longer to fix, degrades faster, takes longer to reload, etc.

Tier the weapons based on that, needing a much higher weapon skill in order to keep that guass rifle working correctly. You can always pick one up and pull the trigger, but you might only get a couple shots out of it before it demagnetizes and you don't know how to fix it.

• Options
    Suppose so. I generally just consider the $/time metric for entertainment stuff.

• Options
    Finally a mod that lets you see total crafting components in your workshops without looking through crafting recipes:
    Home Despot - Component Inventory in Local and Linked Workshops
    Craftable terminal you can drop in a settlement to see inventory totals of all the adhesive, oil, leather, etc. in your workshop and linked workshops. Look at what you have tons of and what you lack all in one screen to make better decisions on what to pick up. I can finally stop looking for circuitry for a while.

• Options
    Suppose so. I generally just consider the $/time metric for entertainment stuff.

$/time is basically what I was using too, but there's also quality of time. I guess it would be $/(time x enjoyment of time spent which is specific to fallout 4). If you look at the DLC as just more fallout 4, you've still got $/(time x enjoyment of fallout 4). Swap to a different game and the amount of time is modified differently by the quality of the product. No need to complicate things by changing the units.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I thought the Season Pass was worth it, but I'm also a complete sucker for Bethesda sandbox games. I'll also say that the DLC for FO:4 was nowhere near as good as FO:NV, and as others have mentioned, a lot of it is settlement-centric.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Yeah, I bought it last night.

The concrete bunker pieces look neat.

The water pump that apparently draws water from a well is very useful. I'll finally be able to do something with my Red Rocket base.

• Options
    started a new game figuring on a dedicated railroad run

snatched the perception bobblehead out from under preston's nose and left him there holding his dick

went down through covenant, bought a sweet shotgun, did the quest there, headed down through bunker hill and to goodneighbor, where i did the alternate main quest breadcrumb mission at the memory den

this game feels great if you excise preston garvey and the old psychic gypsy woman

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    So... I've been playing Fallout Shelter all this time, but I've yet to even install Fallout 4, lol.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    The Minutemen really are the best faction to function as a police force with the Railroad, despite Preston being kinda annoying.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    The Minutemen are the worst part of the game, definitely.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    In a world where the settlement system was more heavily integrated into the full experience I can see each faction having you found settlements for them with different goals, and the Minutemen/Railroad are just one faction.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    In a world where the settlement system was more heavily integrated into the full experience I can see each faction having you found settlements for them with different goals, and the Minutemen/Railroad are just one faction.

Yeah, that would be best.

But

The brotherhood want to kill everyone and take their tech.

And the Institute want to kiidnap everyone, replace them with brainwashed androids, and then experiment on both of them until they die.

There's not much room for either of those factions having settlements.

It's a narrative problem.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options

snatched the perception bobblehead out from under preston's nose and left him there holding his dick

went down through covenant, bought a sweet shotgun, did the quest there, headed down through bunker hill and to goodneighbor, where i did the alternate main quest breadcrumb mission at the memory den

this game feels great if you excise preston garvey and the old psychic gypsy woman

Wow never heard of this. I want to try it out but I'm doing survival mode for the first time on a new character now and skipping Concord to head for Goodneighbor sounds like suicide. Feels like I have to get Preston's crew back in Sanctuary as soon as possible to get a settlement going fast for food.

• Options

Wow never heard of this. I want to try it out but I'm doing survival mode for the first time on a new character now and skipping Concord to head for Goodneighbor sounds like suicide. Feels like I have to get Preston's crew back in Sanctuary as soon as possible to get a settlement going fast for food.
    I'm a carnivore in survival. I never bother with crops except maybe for an adhesive farm.

The route I wound up taking to Goodneighbor was down to Covenant, then by water to Bunker Hill. Goodneighbor is actually reasonable to approach from the north across the river.

• Options

But

And the Institute want to kiidnap everyone, replace them with brainwashed androids, and then experiment on both of them until they die.

Never seen anywhere BoS wants to kill everyone. Heck they actively patrol in the games to keep the mutants/raiders down. Now, keep/take advanced tech away from everyone I can agree with.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

But

Never seen anywhere BoS wants to kill everyone. Heck they actively patrol in the games to keep the mutants/raiders down. Now, keep/take advanced tech away from everyone I can agree with.

They nuke the entire area.