Options

The GOP Primary Thread: Beyond Thunderdome

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Trump has been very vocal about not starting WWIII over the Iran deal and not picking a pointless and destructive fight with Putin. So, there's some hope, at least.

A GOP president will follow what a gop congress says, and a gop congress wants everything Trump doesn't and I'm not sold on him not being a warmonger. This is a man advocating banning muslims from our country. He's not a "well he wouldn't be so bad" type.

Not gonna lie, Trump using the Oval Office as a literal bully pulpit to bring rebellious congress critters to heel would be magical.

Also horrible.

Like a lumbering abomination that's basically a writhing, fetid mass of stiched-together corpses: Still objectively magical.

As an aside, it's called the bully pulpit because Teddy Roosevelt, not because presidents are bullies.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    In some ways even if Trump loses the general, he'll have done irreparable damage simply based on how much he'll have mobilized and energized the cause of fascism, racism, and authoritarianism in this country. He's done some of that already; but primary candidates tend not to impact the political landscape, whereas losing general candidates probably have more lasting effects.

I agree with this, but... JFC, whatever passes as the GOP leadership these days has needed a wake-up call about what the people who are their base actually want and believe. If it takes Trump getting the GOP nomination to heighten their contradictions in the Marxian sense, then so be it.

It'd just be really great to live in a country where there's at least two mostly sane political parties capable of governing effectively, even if I only support one of them.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    It's so sad watching him blame himself like that.

I just want to give him a hug and say

"It's alright, kiddo, it's not your fault. We don't blame the hardware here we blame the programmers."
    Noep.
    Fuck that guy, he deserves it.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    htm wrote: »
    In some ways even if Trump loses the general, he'll have done irreparable damage simply based on how much he'll have mobilized and energized the cause of fascism, racism, and authoritarianism in this country. He's done some of that already; but primary candidates tend not to impact the political landscape, whereas losing general candidates probably have more lasting effects.

I agree with this, but... JFC, whatever passes as the GOP leadership these days has needed a wake-up call about what the people who are their base actually want and believe. If it takes Trump getting the GOP nomination to heighten their contradictions in the Marxian sense, then so be it.

It'd just be really great to live in a country where there's at least two mostly sane political parties capable of governing effectively, even if I only support one of them.

Uh huh. Look, the GOP has long been aware of what is their base. Deal is, besides a lot of sneering at the plebeians:
    Trump’s campaign, like Buchanan’s, is powered by the resentment and anxiety of the white working class. Trump is this year’s celebrity mascot for the Buchanan boys. The Buchanan boys are economically and socially frustrated white men who wish to be economically supported by the federal government without enduring the stigma of welfare dependency. So they construct for themselves a story in which they have been victimized by elites and a political system based on interest-group politics that serves everyone except them. Trump is supported by so-called white nationalists, as Buchanan was before him, but the swastika set is merely an extreme example of the sort of thinking commonly found among those to whom Trump appeals.

They aren't doing much to stop him. And, hell, there's the question of whatever they even CAN, as Yglesias points out, Rubio/Jeb/Kasich/Christie combined only get 28.5% national polling average, which isn't enough to stop Trump. Not that surprising, candidates like the Fantastic Four, McCain and Romney are just a bunch of dissapointing losers that aren't winning the general anyways, so might as well vote Trump.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

And again, it's pretty clear that the RNC has lost all direction over huge swaths of the base. The 2012 postmortem conclusions were: less fear-mongering about brown people, less anti-women rhetoric, deliver substantive policy alternatives.

And every single candidate this year fails to meet even one of those very easy-to-meet goals.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Not that surprising, candidates like the Fantastic Four, McCain and Romney are just a bunch of dissapointing losers that aren't winning the general anyways, so might as well vote Trump.

Kasich - Mr. Fantastic: Can stretch his minimal campaign resources to impressive lengths
    Rubio - Human Torch: Young, brash, hot-headed . . . and flamed out quickly under the spotlight
    Jeb - The Invisible Woman: Where is he? Is he even campaigning? Is it just performance art? I don't know!
    Chris Christie - The Thing: [self explanatory]

Ben Carson - Dr. Doom: Bombastic braggart who makes ridiculous claims of superiority only to whine like a pissbaby whenever things don't go his way.

Atomika on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    President Trump won't start WWIII, if only because there's no profit to be made for the Trump Empire in WWIII and it would soil his precious Trump brand.

President Cruz would start WWIII in a heartbeat because he imagines himself as pure-good crusading and annihilating the forces of pure evil using nukes.

So Trump would be the better of the two as president. Also starting WWIII is now the standard on which Republican candidates should be ranked.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    htm wrote: »

No thanks

I will skip the facism every time.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Bernie Sanders can be Squirrel Girl

Atomika on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    President Trump won't start WWIII, if only because there's no profit to be made for the Trump Empire in WWIII and it would soil his precious Trump brand.

President Cruz would start WWIII in a heartbeat because he imagines himself as pure-good crusading and annihilating the forces of pure evil using nukes.

So Trump would be the better of the two as president. Also starting WWIII is now the standard on which Republican candidates should be ranked.

President Trump will start WWIII as soon as some country calls him chicken and suggests that he does not have a big penis.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Pretty sure if someone said trump had a small penis he'd just whip it out at the state of the union.

• Options
    http://youtu.be/onUaRyvfv1A
    Cruz spokesman Rick Tyler told the Independent Journal Review that the ad will "make a serious issue easy to understand and fun."
    I cringed at this ad so much.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »

President Trump will start WWIII as soon as some country calls him chicken and suggests that he does not have a big penis.

No see, it's brilliant. Everyone will have to worry about tiptoeing around issues to avoid upsetting the maniac with his finger on the button.

In other words, we too can have the joy of being North Korea.

• Options
    Christ. Even your typical /pol/ meme is better than that. Speaking off, here's Bane Trump:
    6np7mtahylye.jpg

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I forget a lot about that movie's beginning apparently.

Scrolling down this exit poll and it just seems Trump won almost every demographic. Some of these exit poll questions, too.. "Would you be satisfied if Cruz won the nomination?" Trump STILL eked out Cruz voters. "Who would best handle an international crisis?" Dear god, 30% answered Trump.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

That's not a sketch, that's an actual hour long movie they made.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I mean, if you're going to get Depp, you may as well use him for the longest thing you can get away with.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    New Jersey man's dream of escaping New Jersey dashed:
    Following a dismal showing in New Hampshire, Chris Christie has reportedly decided to suspend his campaign and stay in New Jersey.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Thanks for taking down the billionaires' very own boy wonder before you walked out, Chris.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Sad and pathetic - After NH I actually researched what would go into emigrating. I almost certainly wouldn't follow through but I took it seriously enough to research property costs, what qualifications you need, could I bring my dog etc

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Sad and pathetic - After NH I actually researched what would go into emigrating. I almost certainly wouldn't follow through but I took it seriously enough to research property costs, what qualifications you need, could I bring my dog etc

It's funny, this actually kinda-sorta has become a legitimate proposition to me? By the time the election happens, I'll be married to a Filipino citizen, which kinda already puts a foot in the door, and it's not like there's any shortage of electronics companies in SEA.

She's not horribly politically aware, but she IS aware of Trump, and she was fucking LIVID that he won last night. If he becomes the nominee, I actually expect this conversation to happen.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    They aren't doing much to stop him. And, hell, there's the question of whatever they even CAN, as Yglesias points out, Rubio/Jeb/Kasich/Christie combined only get 28.5% national polling average, which isn't enough to stop Trump. Not that surprising, candidates like the Fantastic Four, McCain and Romney are just a bunch of dissapointing losers that aren't winning the general anyways, so might as well vote Trump.

That's why it's got to be Cruz, I think?

Trump was openly hostile to the Republican Party until recently. He's on the record saying if he ever wanted to run for President, he'd do it as a Republican because their voters are so easily manipulated. His platform overlap with the party is well under 50%. He's riding a wave of 30% plurality wins and more than half the base is hostile to him. He's generally considered a November walkover.

There are all kinds of mechanisms in place to prevent just this kind of hijacking. I just can't believe that they personally hate Ted Cruz *so much* that they would let Trump have the nomination over him, even though I find it very easy to believe they hate Ted Cruz a lot.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Didn't trump talking trash about republican voters turn out to be fake?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    New Jersey man's dream of escaping New Jersey dashed:
    Following a dismal showing in New Hampshire, Chris Christie has reportedly decided to suspend his campaign and stay in New Jersey.

The highway's jammed with broken heroes
    On a last chance power drive
    Everybody's out on the run tonight
    But there's no place left to hide
    H-Oh, Someday girl I don't know when
    We're gonna get to that place
    Where we really wanna go
    And we'll walk in the sun
    But till then tramps like us
    Baby we were born to run

Atomika on
  • Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

Trump was openly hostile to the Republican Party until recently. He's on the record saying if he ever wanted to run for President, he'd do it as a Republican because their voters are so easily manipulated. His platform overlap with the party is well under 50%. He's riding a wave of 30% plurality wins and more than half the base is hostile to him. He's generally considered a November walkover.

There are all kinds of mechanisms in place to prevent just this kind of hijacking. I just can't believe that they personally hate Ted Cruz *so much* that they would let Trump have the nomination over him, even though I find it very easy to believe they hate Ted Cruz a lot.

Trump was openly hostile to the Republican Party until recently. Cruz is still openly hostile to the Republican Party.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

plenty of articles with quotes from gop sources that say they'd rather forfeit the party to trump for a year, get torched in the general and try again in 2020 against a very old democrat, vs the possibility of cruz maybe winning and having to give him the party for 4 years.

they hate ted cruz so much

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Wouldn't that mean he'd have won Iowa by a huge margin? Her superpower is winning after all.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular

I think you underestimate how much every single Republican Senator (aside from Mike Lee) hates Cruz. And it's not just them, it's pretty much all the establishment. I 100% honestly think they'd prefer Trump.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Didn't trump talking trash about republican voters turn out to be fake?

That makes me sad :( A little relieved, but sad.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Jeb! wrote:
    This campaign is not dead.

When you have to say it out loud, it's not true.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Jeb! wrote:

It's being kept alive by machines.
    And we all know what JEB! thinks of disconnecting the brain dead from life support .

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Campaigns stop because you run out of money or you are hurting your future prospects. If John Ellis Bush loses this election I'm not sure what his political future would be and he has silly amounts of money.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Trump did not help cause the government shutdown that hurt the Republicans and then push for another game of chicken just a few months later. Cruz then put in a story in his book about the Republicans in the room getting really furious with him when he suggested that while failing to mention that this was soon after the previous government shutdown hurt them.

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/28/10846212/ted-cruz-republicans-hate
    "In our first benchmark poll, we asked a series of questions to assess where I stood compared to Dewhurst. One of those questions would become famous internally in our campaign: Question 10. It asked voters if they would be more or less likely to support me if they knew that "Ted Cruz understands that politicians from both parties have let us down. Cruz is a proven conservative we can trust to provide new leadership in the Senate to reduce the size of government and defend the Constitution."

Among Republicans, those two simple sentences polled north of 80 percent. At the same time, they garnered a majority of Independents, and even 20 percent of Democrats. They became the centerpiece of our campaign."

Cruz's campaign strategies have always been about actively harming fellow Republicans and not just in the way where he makes some references to the establishment and calls himself an outsider candidate.

It is very easy to see why the establishment would loathe him much more than some newcomer who at least has not actively harmed them in the same way yet.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Even without the goverment shutdown, most people that have interacted with Cruz, whatever in college, or Dubya's campaign team, point-blank despise the guy for being a self-centered, empathy-lacking asshole.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »

Wouldn't that mean he'd have won Iowa by a huge margin? Her superpower is winning after all.

I think Sanders losing by 0.3% is a pretty big win for him. He got 21 delegates to Clinton's 23.

Two months before the primary RCP had him down by 25%.

Atomika on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Jeb! wrote:

Perhaps Tinkerbell is his campaign manager.

• Options
    Jeb! wrote:

It would explain a lot. Those punctuation marks are really pixie dust, but Jeb's having trouble flying (through the polls) because Trump made him lose his happy thought.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    Jeb! wrote:

It would explain a lot. Those punctuation marks are really pixie dust, but Jeb's having trouble flying (through the polls) because Trump made him lose his happy thought.

Please clap.

This discussion has been closed.