Options

The GOP Primary Thread: Beyond Thunderdome

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Thanks for taking down the billionaires' very own boy wonder before you walked out, Chris.

Yup he went down like a fighter delivering a really solid shot to Mr. Roboto.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Oh no! Not education from D.C.!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Have any of the current Republican candidates bashed the House for passing HR 3016 (now going to the Senate) that castrates family education benefits in the GI Bill? I wanna know if anyone in the GOP running for Commander in Chief actually supports our troops and veterans that they will lead.

Because most of my fellow airmen (and soldiers/seamen) are fucking livid about that, and I personally know and have worked with people who have extended years of their life in service specifically to quality and transfer their education benefits to their kids, that this bill is cutting out from under their feet. It's not even fucking grandfathered unless you already have family collecting. It's cutting out the promise that people signed up for right under them after they held up their end of the deal.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    If John Ellis Bush loses this election I'm not sure what his political future would be

He will write the best-seller, "How to Blow a Huge Lead in an Election Despite Having a Ton of Money and Name-Recognition Without Even Trying."

jacket blurb:

"It's . . okay." - Barbara Bush

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ben Carson's New Hampshire Primary Party Was So Boring the Bartender Started Knitting

Posted sans comment, as there is nothing I can say that this lede doesn't.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Do any of the Republican politicians criticizing common core actually know anything about it, including the fact that the federal government doesn't control it?

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Do any of the Republican candidates criticizing [literally anything] actually know anything about it?

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Do any of the Republican politicians criticizing common core actually know anything about it, including the fact that the federal government doesn't control it?

No, why would they need to?

The people on facebook constantly posting stories about how terrible Common Core is (a key Republican demographic) don't know anything about it either. They're just scared of it.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

The people on facebook constantly posting stories about how terrible Common Core is (a key Republican demographic) don't know anything about it either. They're just scared of it.

Let's be fair - Common Core as a whole is incredibly problematic. That said, none of the GOP field touches on why that is.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    CC, like the ACA, is a classic example of something the GOP championed until Obama also decided he liked it, at which point the GOP had no choice but to reverse course and trash it in order to maintain the narrative that everything Obama does is terrible.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Let's be fair - Common Core as a whole is incredibly problematic. That said, none of the GOP field touches on why that is.

I'm not saying it doesn't have issues, I'm saying that Trump and the people who fill my facebook with screeds about how terrible it is don't know what those issues are and just settle on "It's not how I was taught, and it's weird!"

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    If John Ellis Bush loses this election I'm not sure what his political future would be

He will write the best-seller, "How to Blow a Huge Lead in an Election Despite Having a Ton of Money and Name-Recognition Without Even Trying."

jacket blurb:

"It's . . okay." - Barbara Bush

"My mom says it's okay!" - Jeb Bush

sig.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Campaigns stop because you run out of money or you are hurting your future prospects. If John Ellis Bush loses this election I'm not sure what his political future would be and he has silly amounts of money.

Not true anymore since half these campaigns are glorified book tours

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Have any of the current Republican candidates bashed the House for passing HR 3016 (now going to the Senate) that castrates family education benefits in the GI Bill? I wanna know if anyone in the GOP running for Commander in Chief actually supports our troops and veterans that they will lead.

Because most of my fellow airmen (and soldiers/seamen) are fucking livid about that, and I personally know and have worked with people who have extended years of their life in service specifically to quality and transfer their education benefits to their kids, that this bill is cutting out from under their feet. It's not even fucking grandfathered unless you already have family collecting. It's cutting out the promise that people signed up for right under them after they held up their end of the deal.

Holy what. That is messed up.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Ben Carson's New Hampshire Primary Party Was So Boring the Bartender Started Knitting

Posted sans comment, as there is nothing I can say that this lede doesn't.
    Still, somewhat surprisingly, one person saw cause for celebration: Carson’s campaign manager Bob Dees.

“This is not even below expectations for the campaign,” Dees said.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    Do any of the Republican candidates criticizing [literally anything] actually know anything about it?

Highly unlikely. People on the right are reflexively skeptical of big government so all they need to know is that (a) it comes from DC and (b) it isn't SS or Medicare.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

I fucking hate that Republicans constantly get touted by people claiming that they care about veterans, when the evidence consistently points to them not giving the slightest of fucks about any veteran outside of sound bites.

Sleep on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »

Highly unlikely. People on the right are reflexively skeptical of big government so all they need to know is that (a) it comes from DC and (b) it isn't SS or Medicare.

the cognitive dissonance required to deny that they're reliant on gov't whilst receiving SS/MC checks at the same time is almost poignant

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Sleep wrote: »

I fucking hate that Republicans constantly get touted by people claiming that they care about veterans, when the evidence consistently points to them not giving the slightest of fucks about any veteran outside of sound bites.

I trust that McCain has veterans at heart at least 50% of the time, which was s better than the 0% of his peers. He propsed and wrote the Veteran's Choice Bill that expanded fixed portions of the VA in conjuction with Berne Sanders. (Not that the VA isn't still a clusterfuck.)

The Post 9-11 GI bill was a Democratic Bill puched by Jim Webb and opposed by John McCain.

The previous Montgomery GI Bill was also a Democrat pushed bill for the record.

Our wages have also fallen under inflation and the private sector under this republican run congress.

You would not believe how many times I've been told by my superiors in the force some permutation of 'I can't order you to vote Republican but if you were smart/a True Airman/etc. you will vote Republican."

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Much like with unborn babies, Republican support for troops and veterans does not actually extend to living people. It begins and ends at the rhetorical stage.

I'm speaking about both the politicians, and the voters. They only like troops as a song lyric, when it comes to the actual people they expect them to die on command and don't want to pay a hot cent for it.

• Options

Much like with unborn babies, Republican support for troops and veterans does not actually extend to living people. It begins and ends at the rhetorical stage.

I'm speaking about both the politicians, and the voters. They only like troops as a song lyric, when it comes to the actual people they expect them to die on command and don't want to pay a hot cent for it.

Case in point, the Bush admin having the VA actively turn away PTSD patients and the ensuing spike in veteran suicides we've seen as a result

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

I trust that McCain has veterans at heart at least 50% of the time, which was s better than the 0% of his peers. He propsed and wrote the Veteran's Choice Bill that expanded fixed portions of the VA in conjuction with Berne Sanders. (Not that the VA isn't still a clusterfuck.)

The Post 9-11 GI bill was a Democratic Bill puched by Jim Webb and opposed by John McCain.

The previous Montgomery GI Bill was also a Democrat pushed bill for the record.

Our wages have also fallen under inflation and the private sector under this republican run congress.

You would not believe how many times I've been told by my superiors in the force some permutation of 'I can't order you to vote Republican but if you were smart/a True Airman/etc. you will vote Republican."

so many dumbass chiefs I had said the same damn thing

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    In some ways even if Trump loses the general, he'll have done irreparable damage simply based on how much he'll have mobilized and energized the cause of fascism, racism, and authoritarianism in this country. He's done some of that already; but primary candidates tend not to impact the political landscape, whereas losing general candidates probably have more lasting effects.

I agree with this, but... JFC, whatever passes as the GOP leadership these days has needed a wake-up call about what the people who are their base actually want and believe. If it takes Trump getting the GOP nomination to heighten their contradictions in the Marxian sense, then so be it.

It'd just be really great to live in a country where there's at least two mostly sane political parties capable of governing effectively, even if I only support one of them.

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one. I am sincere when I say that the silver lining of Trumps popularity is that it exposes the terrible opinions that parts of this country have and there is no way to deny it. It's not dogwhistles, it's not kept in a bubble or an echo chamber, it's all out in the open. There is a virulent strain of sexism, racism, xenophobia, greed, anti-illectualism, etc. and we need to face it.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Let's dispel with the fiction that this joke isn't funny. We know exactly how funny this joke is.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Thanks for taking down the billionaires' very own boy wonder before you walked out, Chris.

What is the point of comments like this? You take one of them down, there's several in line behind him to take his place.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    darren66 wrote: »

What is the point of comments like this? You take one of them down, there's several in line behind him to take his place.

Except there isn't. At this point you have ¿Jeb? and Kasich to take the establishment mantle.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

The point is cheering up Chris Christie when he reads it. And he will. This forum's posts are indexed on google, and Christie is exactly the type of guy who would google himself.

sig.gif
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular

Except there isn't. At this point you have ¿Jeb? and Kasich to take the establishment mantle.

Does it matter if they are establishment or anti-establishment? Either category in the GOP party this year are not ideal.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Gov. Chris Christie Suspends Campaign

Jim Gilmore responds:
    5eff1c377f48790ca75a9a9878660481eeb4fde0172a2ad49505dc15890486c8.jpg

Atomika on
  • Options
    Rand Paul was the only one against eternal war and destabilisation in the middle east.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Campaigns stop because you run out of money or you are hurting your future prospects. If John Ellis Bush loses this election I'm not sure what his political future would be and he has silly amounts of money.

Certainly, the ones who aren't already rich will be able to sell more books and/or become a pitchman for a company that sells overpriced gold coins to senior citizens and/or get at least some work as a Fox News commentator.

Not sure that applies to Jeb Bush, but Ben Carson is definitely going to end up on the Right Wing Industrial Complex's gravy train.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    BREAKING: The future prospects of Center for Medical Progress.

Also someone named "Fiorina" is suspending along with Christie. I thinks he/she was from the Constitution Party or something?

Absalon on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

My favorite David Cross bit, and one of my favorite comedy bits in general, is when David Cross is discussing Lee Greenwood, and talking about patriotism. He says something like:

"id love to just be at a Lee greenwood concert when everyone is singing along to God Bless the USA, and when Lee sings: 'And I gladly stand up,
    next to you and defend her still today.'

Just fucking shout 'GOOD NEWS! ITS A VOLUNTEER ARMY! LET'S GO! YOU CAN GO STAND NEXT TO THEM! TODAY!'

and see the reaction."

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fiorina is terminating her campaign before it comes to term, later today she'll see if she can sell off parts of it for research purposes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Good news, shares of GOP stocks are surging at news Fiorina is dropping out.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    htm wrote: »

Certainly, the ones who aren't already rich will be able to sell more books and/or become a pitchman for a company that sells overpriced gold coins to senior citizens and/or get at least some work as a Fox News commentator.

Not sure that applies to Jeb Bush, but Ben Carson is definitely going to end up on the Right Wing Industrial Complex's gravy train.

Bush I think is keeping his campaign going to continue paying the salaries of all his crony managers. He can't expect to win at this point so he'll just use all his cash and bail.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fiorina is terminating her campaign before it comes to term, later today she'll see if she can sell off parts of it for research purposes.

I semi-hate myself for laughing at that.

• Options
    Also someone named "Fiorina" is suspending along with Christie.

Jim Gilmore responds:
    5eff1c377f48790ca75a9a9878660481eeb4fde0172a2ad49505dc15890486c8.jpg

This discussion has been closed.