As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The GOP Primary Thread: Beyond Thunderdome

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://gawker.com/mean-marco-rubio-finally-arrives-donald-trump-should-s-1761706606

“So here’s the one tweet he put out, he put out a picture of me having makeup put on me at the debate, which is amazing me to me, that the guy with the worst spray tan in America is attacking me for putting on makeup. Donald Trump likes to sue people; he should sue whoever did that to his face.”

This guy is the real winner from contests... this guy, that tells jokes like Andrew Dice Clay respects women.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Rubio is so bad at this.

Seriously, at times he makes Jeb! look competent.

• Options
    Rubio is so bad at this.

Seriously, at times he makes Jeb! look competent.

Both of those two being elected florida politicians makes me think less of florida. Like I didn't think that was possible, but here we are.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    madparrot wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    I honestly think their best bet would be to just cut ties with this race altogether and pour as much funding as possible into down-ticket races. Urge big donors to ignore the presidential race and give to contested congressional seats as much as possible. Part of the reason Obama has been so successful in his second term is that he kind of said 'fuck it' to needing political capital to do things, which I don't think Hillary could or would do if she makes it in, so keeping their current legislative stranglehold and trying to tie as many negative happenings on Clinton as they can over the next four years seems like the best way to rebuild.
    While still hopeful that Mr. Rubio might prevail, Mr. McConnell has begun preparing senators for the prospect of a Trump nomination, assuring them that, if it threatened to harm them in the general election, they could run negative ads about Mr. Trump to create space between him and Republican senators seeking re-election. Mr. McConnell has raised the possibility of treating Mr. Trump’s loss as a given and describing a Republican Senate to voters as a necessary check on a President Hillary Clinton, according to senators at the lunches.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html

They obviously don't believe this too whole-heartedly, or they wouldn't be playing the SCOTUS game as they are

The SCOTUS game can work for them even if they all believe Trump cannot win. For the base, it is a reason to vote even for the people that don't like Trump. Candidates who are in areas where the SCOTUS game is harmful down ticket can make themselves look more moderate by openly attacking Trump while being safe in the knowledge that they won't have to actually walk the walk. Senators up for reelection can just talk about how the Republicans should allow for a nominee to make it to the Senate to be voted on while not having to worry about having to actually vote for a nominee before the election as long as the Senate judiciary committee won't let a nominee through before the elections. Once Trump fails, they could then cave.

The turnout game cuts both ways. It also sets a horrendous precedent which will bite the Rs in the ass eventually, should they be so lucky to exist as a party that long. It's also just plain poor governance, which apparently isn't much of a concern, but really, should be one.

The Senate R's are playing one move ahead, intead of three, which is a big mistake.

I am not sure how much it will help Democratic turnout anymore than the possibility of a Trump presidency will.

The Republican candidates, assuming they care more about surviving individually than the health of the party long term, can rationally be making decisions that will cause severe long term harm to the Republican party. At the risk of coming off as a social Darwinist, they could just be committing the political equivalent of evolutionary suicide, where the process of adaptation can cause the population to become extinct.

Irony: Evolution leading to extinction of those who do not believe in it.

I think a Hillary/Trump primary would be a huge turnout, between the unbridled hate the republicans have for Clinton and the terror at the thought of a Trump presidency democrats have.

It'd be amusing, at least, though I'd probably just get rid of my TV and newspaper subscriptions for eight years if either of those became our president. Oh well, burn it down!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Using undocumented immigrant workers was like the least fucked up part about the whole thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/13/nyregion/trump-says-he-didn-t-know-he-employed-illegal-aliens.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/14/nyregion/after-15-years-in-court-workers-lawsuit-against-trump-faces-yet-another-delay.html?pagewanted=all

What makes the New York establishment not like him was on full display there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/nyregion/donald-trump-nyc.html
    The major banks, for their part, say they are leery of lending to him after having lost millions of dollars on past deals. Lawyers and contractors he has hired in the past say he is slow to pay his bills, and often shortchanges them. Even the few Wall Street executives who say privately that he is a friend are loath to speak publicly about him.
    Besides the legal battles, the way Mr. Trump has managed business relationships has been a source of friction.

One contractor, who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of being sued by Mr. Trump, said Mr. Trump underpaid on one large job, at one of his towers, by almost $100,000. The contractor opted not to sue, estimating the litigation would cost more than the losses. The two parties have not done business since.

Lawyers who spoke to The Times had similar stories.

Mr. Trump revels in his reputation, boasting about not paying some of his outstanding legal and construction bills. “If they do a bad job, they have to suffer,” he said. “If they overbill me or if they don’t do a good job, I take plenty of time to pay them and I negotiate with them.”
    One New York institution Mr. Trump has been forced to deal with is Wall Street. Here bank executives are cautious, citing his previous bankruptcies and his propensity for litigation.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Most businesspeople are cheap and crooked, maybe america should realize this.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

What worries me is that they do. It's not like Trump is some unknown quantity waiting for a shocking expose that he's a scumbag.

Trump has been in the headlines and tabloids for years. Movies were using Trump as a punchline before many people on this forum were born. This is his IMDB page.

I think the GOP is going to hit Donald Trump like he was a normal politician. They're going to be digging up stuff that half of his fans already read in the unauthorized biographies. For all that people say that Clinton has been vetted, this country has spent far more time starring into Donald's soul.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

We will not rest until we have the cheapest and most crooked businesspeople in the world, America #1, wooooooo

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    They've been hitting him like a normal politician, and that's pretty much how it has been going. And they haven't learned a god damn thing.

So now they're going to do it harder or something. I mean, good luck with that, definition of insanity yadda yadda.

• Options
    I do like following Christies endorsement Trump has picked up two outward racist governor/former governer in Lepage and Jan Brewer.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Rubio's little meltdown.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options

Well when everything you do is a win its hard to know what losing is.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

God. He sounds so tired.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Remember when the Republican Party wasn't completely fucking batshit?

No, not really.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Remember when the Republican Party wasn't completely fucking batshit?

No, not really.

dav_marat.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    The turnout game cuts both ways. It also sets a horrendous precedent which will bite the Rs in the ass eventually, should they be so lucky to exist as a party that long.

No? I think you overestimate how little relationship there is between Republican policy and reality. They can do something that benefits them that is unprecedented and batshit insane and obviously bad governance and claim it was the Founding Father's idea and the way it has always been done and just plain normal. Then if it's ever done against them, they will claim it's undemocratic and unconstitutional and unamerican and something that has never been done or imagined in the history of the USA, completely obliviously to the fact they did it themselves not that long ago.

And the troops will eat it up, and the media won't challenge it, and the opponents will be called whiny and brushed aside for pointing it out.

sig.gif
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Not sure it's been posted already, but there's a great article in the NYT today about how the GOP is flailing in the face of Trump. They're freaking the fuck out. Among other things, Mitch McConnell is trying to band together all the GOP congresspeople to get them to preemptively declare they won't work with The Donald, ever.

I mean... I know that Trump is ultimately terrible for the civics of the USA and it's pretty tragic that he's made it this far, but... it's just really gratifying to watch the karmic justice he's inflicting on the GOP.

htm on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Not sure it's been posted already, but there's a great article in the NYT today about how the GOP is flailing in the face of Trump. They're freaking the fuck out. Among other things, Mitch McConnell is trying to band together all the GOP congresspeople to get them to preemptively declare they won't work with The Donald, ever.

I mean... I know that Trump is ultimately terrible for the civics of the USA and it's pretty tragic that he's made it this bar, but... it's just really gratifying to watch the karmic justice he's inflicting on the GOP.

It would be kind of nice though to see them come up with some response other than "We won't work with X, ever"

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I mean if I tried that, I'd get no unemployment benefit.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    In that vein, I think we all know what we really want to see happen:
    We want to see Rubio and Cruz endorse Trump after he beats them

I want to see them forced to stand on that stage next to him, while he watches them, and endorse Donald J Trump for President. Then maybe hug him.

The look on everyone involved's faces will just be ..... magical.

• Options
    CcPhDExWIAI3MgA.jpg

Wow.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    CcPhDExWIAI3MgA.jpg

Wow.

They should just hatefuck already.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Richy wrote: »
    The turnout game cuts both ways. It also sets a horrendous precedent which will bite the Rs in the ass eventually, should they be so lucky to exist as a party that long.

No? I think you overestimate how little relationship there is between Republican policy and reality. They can do something that benefits them that is unprecedented and batshit insane and obviously bad governance and claim it was the Founding Father's idea and the way it has always been done and just plain normal. Then if it's ever done against them, they will claim it's undemocratic and unconstitutional and unamerican and something that has never been done or imagined in the history of the USA, completely obliviously to the fact they did it themselves not that long ago.

And the troops will eat it up, and the media won't challenge it, and the opponents will be called whiny and brushed aside for pointing it out.

You'll have to be more specific than no. What are you disagreeing with?

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Preacher wrote: »
    http://gawker.com/mean-marco-rubio-finally-arrives-donald-trump-should-s-1761706606

“So here’s the one tweet he put out, he put out a picture of me having makeup put on me at the debate, which is amazing me to me, that the guy with the worst spray tan in America is attacking me for putting on makeup. Donald Trump likes to sue people; he should sue whoever did that to his face.”

This guy is the real winner from contests... this guy, that tells jokes like Andrew Dice Clay respects women.

In his defense, that's the kind of bullshit primary voters want. They want someone who will just be an overt dick, because lol alpha male.

I mean, he's awful at it - it reads like a shitty insult comic riff from the 80s - but I can't fault him for trying.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

In his defense, that's the kind of bullshit primary voters want. They want someone who will just be an overt dick, because lol alpha male.

I mean, he's awful at it - it reads like a shitty insult comic riff from the 80s - but I can't fault him for trying.

Rubio's whole vibe is suburban soccer dad who has finally had enough, dammit. He sounds like he just wants the refs to call Donald in violation so everyone can go back to the real primary.

• Options
    Richy wrote: »

You'll have to be more specific than no. What are you disagreeing with?

That the SCOTUS game they're playing will come back to bite them in the ass next time they have the opportunity to appoint a judge and the Dems can block them. I thought that's what you were saying?

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    double-post

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

I mean... I know that Trump is ultimately terrible for the civics of the USA and it's pretty tragic that he's made it this bar, but... it's just really gratifying to watch the karmic justice he's inflicting on the GOP.
    At a meeting of Republican governors the next morning, Paul R. LePage of Maine called for action. Seated at a long boardroom table at the Willard Hotel, he erupted in frustration over the state of the 2016 race, saying Mr. Trump’s nomination would deeply wound the Republican Party. Mr. LePage urged the governors to draft an open letter “to the people,” disavowing Mr. Trump and his divisive brand of politics.
    :lol:

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

At a meeting of Republican governors the next morning, Paul R. LePage of Maine called for action. Seated at a long boardroom table at the Willard Hotel, he erupted in frustration over the state of the 2016 race, saying Mr. Trump’s nomination would deeply wound the Republican Party. Mr. LePage urged the governors to draft an open letter “to the people,” disavowing Mr. Trump and his divisive brand of politics.

I'd love to see the thought process behind that pivot.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

"...You know, if the Night of the Long Knives is coming, I think I'd rather not get stabbed,"

With Love and Courage
  • Options

Lepage is a terrible politician. Like beyond being an outward racist bully, he's more than a little bit an idiot. Maine should be embarrassed even if an independent was splitting the vote.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

From what I know of LePage, I don't think any sane person wants to see any of his thought processes.

That being said, there's an interesting Vox mini-article mostly about him.

Take-away quotes:
    LePage's flip-flop isn't necessarily a bellwether for other anti-Trump Republican figures like Karl Rove. LePage is a bit of a loose cannon, to say the least; it's actually more surprising that he ever opposed Trump than that he ultimately endorsed him.

and...
    That's the most damning thing about the New York Times' LePage anecdote: he suggested that governors get together and write an open letter, but the other governors apparently weren't willing to go that far. If the person who is willing to stick his neck out to stop Trump defects to the pro-Trump side, who, exactly, do Republicans expect is going to stop him?

My guess is that experience led him to believe that the establishment is not going to effectively oppose Trump. Also, by getting behind Trump early when Trump actually needs endorsements, he sets himself up for a cabinet position or Ambassador to France if Trump wins.

• Options
    Speaking of France, here's Jean LePen:

"If I was American, I would vote for Donald Trump...may God protect him!"

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    For context, if it hasn't been brought up, LePen is the leader of a French White Nationalist group.

• Options
    For context, if it hasn't been brought up, LePen is the leader of a French White Nationalist group.
    Is also an old trick for organizations and even countries. Let the ex-leadership say the controversial statements while the current leadership sounds as moderate as possible. That's why National Front isn't currently endorsing Trump, you see?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Front National has been lead by his daughter for a while now. JM Le Pen has gone increasingly crazy with age, and his daughter tried to sue him to prevent him from speaking at the Front National convention.

I mean, he's a famous French wingnut still, but he currently leads no party and is considered toxic as the party tries to not be openly racist.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ex-leader, then. I've only been skimming the articles about it.

Still, the sort of person a candidate for president should be actively avoiding an association with. In a rational world...

This discussion has been closed.