As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The GOP Primary Thread: Beyond Thunderdome

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I think a lot of the more moderate, center-right republican voters, who absolutely do exist, won't turn out for Trump. They'd probably rather stay at home. They sure as hell won't flip and vote Democrat but they'll stay home and watch HGTV or the DIY network. Maybe the History Channel.

They will turn out. Both my parents and parents-in-law strongly dislike Trump and are deeply disappointed in the Republican base for handing him the nomination; but the most moderate and weakest of them in resolve, my formerly liberal mother-in-law (who also strongly dislikes Cruz), still says she will "vote for him if she has to". Voting third party is not a consideration, staying at home is especially not a consideration, and voting Democrat sure as hell isn't.

It's with independents that Trump will lose the general election, provided the anti-establishment feeling doesn't run much deeper than I think it does, and provided there isn't a really, really bad October surprise for the Democrats.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Edward Snowden on the US Presidential election:

The Russian Election: a choice between oh wait

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    See, if only democrats could motivate their electorate like that this whole thing would be a non-issue! :D

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I continue to read Republicans and movement conservatives grappling with Trump. It's fascinating. Here's Eliot Cohen, Iraq war booster and neocon explaining the rise of Trump.

Moral rot.

Trump’s rise is only one among many signs that something has gone profoundly amiss in our popular culture. It is related to the hysteria that has swept through many campuses, as students call for the suppression of various forms of free speech and the provision of “safe spaces” where they will not be challenged by ideas with which they disagree. The rise of Trump and the fall of free speech in academia are equal signs that we are losing the intellectual sturdiness and honesty without which a republic cannot thrive.

In the context of culture, if not (yet) politics, he is unremarkable; the daily entertainments of today are both tawdry and self-consciously, corrosively ironic. Ours is an age when young people have become used to getting news, of a sort, from Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert, when an earlier generation watched Walter Cronkite and David Brinkley. It is the difference between giggling with young, sneering hipsters and listening to serious adults. Go to YouTube and look at old episodes of Profiles in Courage, if you can find them—a wildly successful television series based on the book nominally authored by John F. Kennedy, which celebrated an individual’s, often a politician’s, courage in standing alone against a crowd, even a crowd with whose politics the audience agreed. The show of comparable popularity today is House of Cards. Bill Clinton has said that he loves it.

*jerkoff motion*

Oh jesus that's a terrible, completely ignorant article

who wrote that, Andy Rooney?

• Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    I continue to read Republicans and movement conservatives grappling with Trump. It's fascinating. Here's Eliot Cohen, Iraq war booster and neocon explaining the rise of Trump.

Moral rot.

Trump’s rise is only one among many signs that something has gone profoundly amiss in our popular culture. It is related to the hysteria that has swept through many campuses, as students call for the suppression of various forms of free speech and the provision of “safe spaces” where they will not be challenged by ideas with which they disagree. The rise of Trump and the fall of free speech in academia are equal signs that we are losing the intellectual sturdiness and honesty without which a republic cannot thrive.

In the context of culture, if not (yet) politics, he is unremarkable; the daily entertainments of today are both tawdry and self-consciously, corrosively ironic. Ours is an age when young people have become used to getting news, of a sort, from Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert, when an earlier generation watched Walter Cronkite and David Brinkley. It is the difference between giggling with young, sneering hipsters and listening to serious adults. Go to YouTube and look at old episodes of Profiles in Courage, if you can find them—a wildly successful television series based on the book nominally authored by John F. Kennedy, which celebrated an individual’s, often a politician’s, courage in standing alone against a crowd, even a crowd with whose politics the audience agreed. The show of comparable popularity today is House of Cards. Bill Clinton has said that he loves it.

*jerkoff motion*

http://www.the-american-interest.com/2016/02/26/the-age-of-trump

I wonder if he knows that House of Cards (Netflix) is basically the same in sensibility as its BBC original. A show made in the backdrop of Thatcher's Britain. That idol of certain people.

Yes, the reason the Republican Party has gone insane is Kevin Spacey with a Southern Drawl

Of course!

And "safe spaces!" You know, those places on campus where you're guaranteed to be free from hate-speech and persecution based on your race, gender, or sexuality.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Moral rot.

*jerkoff motion*

I wonder if he knows that House of Cards (Netflix) is basically the same in sensibility as its BBC original. A show made in the backdrop of Thatcher's Britain. That idol of certain people.

Yes, the reason the Republican Party has gone insane is Kevin Spacey with a Southern Drawl

Of course!

You missed the real meat. Liberals are the real racists blowhard assclowns. Just look at it. He laments the lost of Cronkite and Brinkley as major news sources and the rise of Stewart and Colbert without even stopping to look at the intervening thirty or so years since Cronkite. Or, for that matter, why people claimed to get their news from Stewart or Colbert.

• Options
    I fucking loathe Scott Walker but at least he had the balls to drop out early and tell the rest of his party to stop being such fucking morons and unite around defeating the clowns

But Mr. Walker . . . . the clowns were inside you all along!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Moral rot.

*jerkoff motion*

Of course!

You missed the real meat. Liberals are the real racists blowhard assclowns. Just look at it. He laments the lost of Cronkite and Brinkley as major news sources and the rise of Stewart and Colbert without even stopping to look at the intervening thirty or so years since Cronkite. Or, for that matter, why people claimed to get their news from Stewart or Colbert.

Cause that would be hard and require effort. Much easier to just do the standard blame liberals.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options

Moral rot.

*jerkoff motion*

Of course!

I've found that the entrenched conservatives really have a difficult time with critical thinking and causal relationships.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    On Reddit, Trump supporters have been having their enclave and /pol/ outpost: /r/the_donald (now with 40k suscribers) for a few months now. Since Sanders is melting hard, the Reddit Sanders brigade has been....not taking it well (massive undestatement, but rather not go down that path). Trump supporters, of course, now are saying "if you want to post on our subreddit, you are going to have to swallow all the mean things you said about Trump and us in all these months".

Meanwhile, home team advantage:

And the guy that makes the Can't Stump the Trump videos (/pol/ citizen to the core, duh) found a really weird clip of Glenn Beck boiling a frog on TV just to prove a point (boiling frog, blah blah, Dems taking our freedoms, blah blah). Beck is creepy.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    21 percent undecided with that poll?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I fucking loathe Scott Walker but at least he had the balls to drop out early and tell the rest of his party to stop being such fucking morons and unite around defeating the clowns

I have that DVD

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

I have that DVD

ew

• Options
    And since you can only retweet a random Internet racist so many times before people get bored of it, let's retweet Mussolini quotes!:

• Options
    Simply based off of the 2012 results, I don't think I can take any poll or aggregate seriously that didn't come from RCP or Nate Silver, and even then with a grain of salt.

I'm having trouble seeing how this guy who polls at 99% unfavorable with Latinos and repels women voters like teflon will beat the woman who just pulled in better numbers in South Carolina than Obama did.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular

"But Hillary is also bad though. Monsanto and such. I'm 22."

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    And the guy that makes the Can't Stump the Trump videos (/pol/ citizen to the core, duh) found a really weird clip of Glenn Beck boiling a frog on TV just to prove a point (boiling frog, blah blah, Dems taking our freedoms, blah blah). Beck is creepy.

...Well, that's a hell of a thing. I don't know what to feel more skeeved out by: that he boiled an animal alive or that he did it for television.
    Panda4You wrote: »
    See, if only democrats could motivate their electorate like that this whole thing would be a non-issue! :D
    I get scare emails from time to time saying that every Republican voter staying home is a Democratic victory. I'm not sure if you guys get those emails (or at least ones that don't ask for money at the same time) but if not then I'm not sure how the DNC is just so bad at its job. Who votes? Old people! What works on old people really well? Scare emails! What is literally costs nothing to send? Scare emails!

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Except for the period Dean was in charge, the DNC has been horrible at down ticket campaigning. Their GOTV efforts mainly focus on the presidential elections and then let the mid-terms twist.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    The way to attack Trump is either you go after his record as a business man and get him to self-destruct OR you do what Clinton will be doing, but what the GOP can't do, because they basically believe all the shit he says.

Neither have proven to dent him, he's untouchable by the usual GOP tactics. That is why they fail. Well, that and they're absolutely terrible at running campaigns this cycle.

They haven't really. Only in the last few days with the fraud that is Trump University have they even tried. You attack him personally, not his positions, and he'll be a sputtering mess. Metaphorically, you punch the bully in the mouth.

They've been terrified of angering the bully

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

With that particular line-up, I actually don't really doubt it.

Trump is obviously Trump, so people are rightly very wary, but a lot of people underestimate how uneasy people are when it comes to Clinton. Even Democrats. That whole 'trust' thing, while misplaced, is a very real perception that Hillary has never really been able to shake.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

...Well, that's a hell of a thing. I don't know what to feel more skeeved out by: that he boiled an animal alive or that he did it for television.
    Panda4You wrote: »
    I get scare emails from time to time saying that every Republican voter staying home is a Democratic victory. I'm not sure if you guys get those emails (or at least ones that don't ask for money at the same time) but if not then I'm not sure how the DNC is just so bad at its job. Who votes? Old people! What works on old people really well? Scare emails! What is literally costs nothing to send? Scare emails!

Primarily I get emails asking me to sign online petitions to try and get congress to do its job. Which I don't bother with, because the next time congress does something because there was an online petition by liberals to do it, will be the first.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I dunno, I kind of take pride in the fact that my party isn't the one scaremongering and race/gender baiting.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    What is literally costs nothing to send? Scare emails!

It definitely costs something.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

With that particular line-up, I actually don't really doubt it.

Trump is obviously Trump, so people are rightly very wary, but a lot of people underestimate how uneasy people are when it comes to Clinton. Even Democrats. That whole 'trust' thing, while misplaced, is a very real perception that Hillary has never really been able to shake.

Twenty years of constant bombardment has to be effective somewhere.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    The DNC sends scare emails all the time, primarily asking for money. The Democratic base does not respond to this particularly well; plenty of money raised in 2014, but voting didn't go so well.

• Options
    I dunno, I kind of take pride in the fact that my party isn't the one scaremongering and race/gender baiting.

I initially read that as "gender bending" and started to protest, but then didn't

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    And since you can only retweet a random Internet racist so many times before people get bored of it, let's retweet Mussolini quotes!:

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    A solid number of Republican voters served in the war where we fought Il Duce.

I'm sure this is going to be the thing that starts costing him voters. #badbets2016

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I disagreed with HW on a lot of stuff but he seemed an honorable guy, and his morals and humanity were understandable and at times admirable.

Honorable things like subverting Congress, arming Iran, funding Latin American death squads, and then covering it up as he left office?

Perfect being the enemy of good?

In a relative sense, HW is far, far more preferable to anybody currently riding in the clown car.

This phrase doesn't work when talking about events that happened in the past being compared against events of today. We're not picking between George Bush 1 and these dummies, they are all the GOP has got. Conversely, the shitty things that GB1 did aren't less shitty because the GOP got even crazier down the road.

The GOP has always been crazy in my lifetime. My first "political" memory is voting for Dukakis in an elementary school classroom activity. I probably lost.

Last time they were totally sane was probably Ike, honestly, although I do think they've gotten progressively crazier since Nixon.

I don't know that Ike really counts. From what I understand, he didn't give much a damn about party loyalty when he was running.

I have to think that Reagan broke them, and he broke them by being successful. He got to put into practice the Supply Side economic theories of their intellectuals. And when that happened, they failed. Miserably. It's taken a long time, but the incredible electoral success of Reagan blew the brains out of the party.

Your honest intellectuals stopped lionizing these theories. Your dishonest intellectuals moved the goalposts so far they've effectively drilled to China. People are stubborn and hate to be wrong, so this process takes a long time. Big business still wants people to believe this crap because it obviously directly benefits them, but it's trying to give a transfusion to a dead patient at this point.

So Republicans have had to basically "run on what's left." And what's left isn't very pretty. It's what Trump has been able to easily seize on. He'll win this nomination. Hopefully not the general election but I wouldn't count him out of it.

What worries me is that the Democrats are running on what's left for very similar reasons (or at least with very similar donors). "Learn to make do with less" is simply a much less compelling campaign message than "I will make you great again!"

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hillary found a message last night if you go watch her victory speech. Best one she's ever given.

But the general and Democrats are off topic until the nominations are clinched.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Edward Snowden on the US Presidential election:

The Russian Election: a choice between oh wait

He really makes it hard to feel sorry for him doesn't he?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The DNC sends scare emails all the time, primarily asking for money. The Democratic base does not respond to this particularly well; plenty of money raised in 2014, but voting didn't go so well.

I donated money to Obama, so I got on all the liberal/Democratic lists. They've all been sent to the Spam filter, since they were all shrill pleas for cash topped by Buzzfeed-style headlines.

Obama hired private sector advertising agencies and marketeers who worked for companies whose ad campaigns he and the public liked. I know that the companies who sell the Democrats these marketing services are made up of their close friends, donors and grandchildren, but they gotta dump them for some real talent.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Not that we really need evidence to know that Trump is full of shit, but Trump is full of shit:
    Mr. Trump painted a fairly dark picture of the Reform Party in his statement, noting the role of Mr. Buchanan, along with the roles of David Duke, a former leader of the Ku Klux Klan, and Lenora Fulani, the former standard-bearer of the New Alliance Party and an advocate of Marxist-Leninist politics.

"The Reform Party now includes a Klansman, Mr. Duke, a neo-Nazi, Mr. Buchanan, and a communist, Ms. Fulani," he said in his statement. "This is not company I wish to keep."

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Yeah, the clip is at the end:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lskU-JTBc30
    "Let's not forget what happens, when you toss a person/frog on the boiling water" ..... "Ok, forget the frog....I thought that it was going to jump out". Not to mention his little set up on the studio. Is bizarre, and this is a clip of several years ago.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    That poor fucking frog.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Christ, Glenn Beck is some kind of weird psychopath. I can't stand Donald Trump, but at least I'm reasonably sure Trump isn't a serial killer on the side.

• Options
    CORAL GABLES, FL—Noting how he repeatedly stumbled over his words and struggled to formulate convincing and consistent responses when asked by his wife about how he slept and what he wanted to have for breakfast, sources confirmed Monday that former presidential candidate Jeb Bush bungled numerous questions on his first day back at home. “You see—the thing is, breakfast—there are a number of options,” said Bush, anxiously reaching for a sip of water after delivering a meandering aside about why pancakes would be a reasonable choice, before awkwardly transitioning to a clumsy, forced anecdote about some bacon he recently had. “It’s an important question—you know what? Eggs. That’ll be—yes. Mmhmm.” Sources further reported Bush appeared helpless and forlorn after his request was drowned out by the louder, more confident answers from his children seated around the dining room table.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    CORAL GABLES, FL—Noting how he repeatedly stumbled over his words and struggled to formulate convincing and consistent responses when asked by his wife about how he slept and what he wanted to have for breakfast, sources confirmed Monday that former presidential candidate Jeb Bush bungled numerous questions on his first day back at home. “You see—the thing is, breakfast—there are a number of options,” said Bush, anxiously reaching for a sip of water after delivering a meandering aside about why pancakes would be a reasonable choice, before awkwardly transitioning to a clumsy, forced anecdote about some bacon he recently had. “It’s an important question—you know what? Eggs. That’ll be—yes. Mmhmm.” Sources further reported Bush appeared helpless and forlorn after his request was drowned out by the louder, more confident answers from his children seated around the dining room table.

what a time to be an onion writer

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    A solid number of Republican voters served in the war where we fought Il Duce.

I'm sure this is going to be the thing that starts costing him voters. #badbets2016

Uh, I know this is a joke and all and I know that republicans have a lot of support from seniors and all, but I don't think there is enough people for them to lose aged 85-90 to make any kind of significant difference.

This discussion has been closed.