As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The GOP Primary Thread: Beyond Thunderdome

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    What's super weird to me now is that Playboy's interview with Rachel Maddow has a bit from her saying she used to like Glenn Beck before he got all weird and messianic. There was a time when he was a normal human.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    There are lots of stories about him that basically show that, whatever he really believes, he definitely cranks up the volume for his shows/audience.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    CORAL GABLES, FL—Noting how he repeatedly stumbled over his words and struggled to formulate convincing and consistent responses when asked by his wife about how he slept and what he wanted to have for breakfast, sources confirmed Monday that former presidential candidate Jeb Bush bungled numerous questions on his first day back at home. “You see—the thing is, breakfast—there are a number of options,” said Bush, anxiously reaching for a sip of water after delivering a meandering aside about why pancakes would be a reasonable choice, before awkwardly transitioning to a clumsy, forced anecdote about some bacon he recently had. “It’s an important question—you know what? Eggs. That’ll be—yes. Mmhmm.” Sources further reported Bush appeared helpless and forlorn after his request was drowned out by the louder, more confident answers from his children seated around the dining room table.

what a time to be an onion writer

The Poeverton Window

Atomika on
  • Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    What's super weird to me now is that Playboy's interview with Rachel Maddow has a bit from her saying she used to like Glenn Beck before he got all weird and messianic. There was a time when he was a normal human.

I have a hard time believing that, knowing that he got his start as a radio shock jock that regularly said misogynistic shit. He looked moderately respectable when he worked for CNN, but he was still a kook.

He also continues to remind me of just how precious few of the key right-wing talking heads have ever been to college.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Saw these tweets about Trump and Mussolini comparisons from Gary Whitta a few weeks ago, and it seems more relevant now:

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Edward Snowden on the US Presidential election:

The Russian Election: a choice between oh wait

I don't hold that against him, being a high profile fugitive from the US gave him few safe options.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Also, turns out that Gawker is somewhat responsible for Trump tweeting that Mussolini quote, apparently.

http://gawker.com/how-we-fooled-donald-trump-into-retweeting-benito-musso-1761795039

Quick version: they made a twitter bot specifically to tweet Mussolini quotes at Trump in the hopes that eventually he'd take the bait.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also, turns out that Gawker is somewhat responsible for Trump tweeting that Mussolini quote, apparently.

http://gawker.com/how-we-fooled-donald-trump-into-retweeting-benito-musso-1761795039

Quick version: they made a twitter bot specifically to tweet Mussolini quotes at Trump in the hopes that eventually he'd take the bait.

And people said gawker doesn't have a point...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure Trump knows who Mussolini is.

Though to be fair, I'm pretty sure that I could start asking random people on the street who he was and I'd be lucky if 50% could even guess he was Italian, because American schools.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »

Though to be fair, I'm pretty sure that I could start asking random people on the street who he was and I'd be lucky if 50% could even guess he was Italian, because American schools.

Donald Trump is physically basing his stage person either directly through Mussolini or second hand via aping Roman emperors from movies whose actors were basing their portrayals on Mussolini. That's what lit me up when I watched the last debate.

Trump's a professional entertainer, and everything from the super erect posture, his habit of staring off into the distance as his opponent speak, the tricks he does with his hands to focus attention on him every time someone scored a solid point, they are all part of a polished and considered role. I think Trump is consciously method acting a fascist strongman, and that has probably been true for a very long time.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

oh my god. the twitter av for that account is Mussolini with Trumps hair.

• Options

He's the OG fascist strongman. Everybody since has based their style on him. Hitler's alliance with Italy in WW2 was 100 percent rooted in his fanboyism for Mussolini.

And like Franco, Pinochet and a bunch of other not-Hitler fascist dictators, there's still a huge contingent of "regular" people who publicly and privately consider themselves fans.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

the confirmation bias is real

(reality has a liberal bias)

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular

I have always thought that it would probably be *very* easy to troll Trump given how sensitive and addicted to social/national media he is. He needs to be trolled more, trolled to insanity.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

They are doing this to both sides, like polling has shown HRC going to cream sanders on super Tuesday as well but you wouldn't know it for how the media reports on the race.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Am I a bad person if I'm both happy Trump is showing his true colors and a bit disappointed that he did so too early in the primary, before he was guaranteed to take the nomination?

If Rubio takes it now, he can be the guy that kept the villain from getting close to the presidency after everyone else counted him out. His own brand of evil and demagoguery would look tame compared to Trump who has dominated the airwaves for several months.

Absalon on
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Am I a bad person if I'm both happy Trump is showing his true colors and a bit disappointed that he really screwed up somewhat too early in the primary to still be guaranteed to take the nomination?

If Rubio takes it now, he can be the guy that kept the villain from getting close to the presidency after everyone else counted him out. His own brand of evil and demagoguery would look tame compared to Trump who has dominated the airwaves for several months.

Dude. Trump's been practically nominated already. Him retweeting Mussolini will not change a thing.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    Am I a bad person if I'm both happy Trump is showing his true colors and a bit disappointed that he really screwed up somewhat too early in the primary to still be guaranteed to take the nomination?

Dude. Trump's been practically nominated already. Him retweeting Mussolini will not change a thing.
    Also, is the man that got away with saying the opposite of his policy paper on a debate and then got to walk that back the next day without issue. Who's going to call him on it? The media sure won't, specially since Gawker is radioactive.

• Options

Also, is the man that got away with saying the opposite of his policy paper on a debate and then got to walk that back the next day without issue. Who's going to call him on it? The media sure won't, specially since Gawker is radioactive.

We can learn something about why he is winning from this exchange with Chuck Todd:
    TODD: Do you want to be associated with a fascist?

TRUMP: No, I want to be associated with interesting quotes, and people, I have almost fourteen million people between Instagram and Facebook and Twitter, and all of that and we do interesting things. And I sent it out, and it certainly got your attention didn’t it?

He just wants to be associated with interesting quotes...

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Trump isn't that stupid, he knows exactly what he's doing.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

We can learn something about why he is winning from this exchange with Chuck Todd:

TRUMP: No, I want to be associated with interesting quotes, and people, I have almost fourteen million people between Instagram and Facebook and Twitter, and all of that and we do interesting things. And I sent it out, and it certainly got your attention didn’t it?

The retweet of one fascist quote is a tragedy. Retweeting one million fascist quotes is a statistic.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

Trump is also practically immune to the media. He doesn't get flustered and he doesn't backtrack. This might change when he has wrapped up the nomination and the polling makes it clear he is going to get crushed by Hillary.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Trump: "I know the best quotes."

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So if it is Clinton vs. Trump, she might now have Obama's turnout and support among black voters. Add a hefty advantage among latino/as to that.

Absalon on
  • Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Let’s dispel once and for all with this fiction that Donald Trump doesn’t know what he’s doing. He knows exactly what he’s doing. Donald Trump is undertaking a systematic effort to change this country.

notdroid on
  • Options
    Tomanta wrote: »

Trump: "I know the best quotes."

"I've got quotes so good they'll make your head spin! I know all the top quote guys! We're gonna have a list of quotes so amazing, it's gonna be yuge! You've never seen so many great quotes!"

• Options

Let’s dispel with this fiction that Donald Trump doesn’t know what he’s doing. He knows exactly what he’s doing. He is trying to change this country.

• Options

We are not facing a presidential candidate who doesn’t know what’s doing. He knows what he is doing. That’s why he’s done the things he’s done.

• Options
    Damnit I think I have Rubio's glitch.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    So if it is Clinton vs. Trump, she might now have Obama's turnout and support among black voters. Add a hefty advantage among latino/as to that.

...Does Mr. Trump care, though?

If he has Team White People on board, and he is (probably) targeting Florida & Ohio... why give a shit about minority voters? He can count on a sizeable chunk of Latino voters in Florida anyway because there are a lot of shithead expats from Cuba and/or Venezuela that will vote straight ticket right wing regardless of any other considerations.

It's not like he's trying to win NYC.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

If he has Team White People on board, and he is (probably) targeting Florida & Ohio... why give a shit about minority voters? He can count on a sizeable chunk of Latino voters in Florida anyway because there are a lot of shithead expats from Cuba and/or Venezuela that will vote straight ticket right wing regardless of any other considerations.

Because IIRC if he wins FL and OH he still does not win.

IIRC.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Two things to keep in mind.

1. There are still 200 million white people in this country.

2. There's a strange and still anecdotal persistence in accounts in the media of support for Trump among demographic groups that you would not expect to be in his corner.

In a nation with a government as dysfunctional as ours, do not be shocked when a surprising number of people support the guy who they think can get things done.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Two things to keep in mind.

1. There are still 200 million white people in this country.

2. There's a strange and yet anecdotal persistence in accounts in the media of support for Trump among demographic groups that you would not expect to be in his corner.

In a nation with a government as dysfunctional as ours, do not be shocked when a surprising number of people support the guy who they think can get things done.

A hispanic friend of mine is voting for Trump in the primaries this week because he'll vote for Hillary in the general and he doesn't care about immigration and, in his words, he's tired of seeing republicans who are more willing to burn the whole thing down instead of crossing the aisle.

Yes, friends, the hispanic guy is voting Trump because it's the more reasonable option, and he's not wrong.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What about Trump has indicated that he's willing to cross the aisle?

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

Because IIRC if he wins FL and OH he still does not win.

IIRC.

He needs Romney plus 64. FL and OH give him 47 so he needs 17 more. PA has 20. VA and IA combine for 19 and so on.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Because he's a totally excellent businessman who'd make great deals!

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

He made a pretty big display about it during the debate this week. He was knocking Cruz for being so ideological that he'd rather fail than compromise.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

What do you think his EC map is going to look like?

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Is the white house protected legally like a landmark?

Wondering in the if case that Trump would win if he'd build a tower there instead.

PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.