Options

The [nfl] Was Who We Thought They Were

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Did he talk a lot of smack, or whatever, in the weeks leading up to the game? Because that's the notion that I'm getting from all of this hate. Like, he can dish it out, but not take it when it's his turn.

I watched absolutely zero coverage of this game up until kick off so I have no idea if that's true or not.

In the end it's probably just some good ole racism from old farts.

Not as far as I've seen. Dude is known for being a passionate player and some people think he's a showboat.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I thought it was funny last night but now that I've had time to absorb it I sort of hate what Peyton did. He had a chance to go up there and talk about how amazing his team was and how amazing that defense was and instead he took time to shill his shit.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Also people are really judging him for not driving on that fumble at the end of the game when they were still down by six.

He does look like he hops away from the ball but I don't think it was intentional. Like, I think he thought the ball was going to go a different direction.

I think he brain farted and thought it was an incomplete pass.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    He did it this morning, too, apparently. Same rehearsed line.
    I thought it was funny last night but now that I've had time to absorb it I sort of hate what Peyton did. He had a chance to go up there and talk about how amazing his team was and how amazing that defense was and instead he took time to shill his shit.

The confetti wasn't even fully in the air yet when this happened:
    xydksbl26o80.png

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    My argument is that after years of proving you have maturity you get a little more leniency when you have a moment of immaturity. Or, if you're able to fake it for years and then snap one time, people will get it.

Look, I'm not totally down on him. That must have sucked. But he looked so petulant, so sullen, that it's honestly a little hard to feel that bad. I'm all for a "real reaction," but he was just as robotic in his reaction to losing as the entire Patriots staff is when they tow the team line.

This is the same shit that people were saying in his first few years. That he sulked too much.

It's fucking stupid. He's the only player I've seen that gets slammed for actually showing his emotions.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'd say let's please talk about a better current news subject in football, but so far the only other news is "Shady probably doing years in jail" and "Manziel kidnapped his ex and hit her so hard her eardrum ruptured", and awful hot takes are genuinely better to discuss than either of those

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »
    My argument is that after years of proving you have maturity you get a little more leniency when you have a moment of immaturity. Or, if you're able to fake it for years and then snap one time, people will get it.

Look, I'm not totally down on him. That must have sucked. But he looked so petulant, so sullen, that it's honestly a little hard to feel that bad. I'm all for a "real reaction," but he was just as robotic in his reaction to losing as the entire Patriots staff is when they tow the team line.

This is the same shit that people were saying in his first few years. That he sulked too much.

It's fucking stupid. He's the only player I've seen that gets slammed for actually showing his emotions.

Richard Sherman says hi. ;-)

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

I honestly keep trying to think back to how Warren Moon handled this stuff / was handled by the media, but I was too young to remember.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Cabezone wrote: »

The Sherrif is a douche. Cam isn't.

Edited for clarity.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

And what do these two men have in common...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Y'all wanna know something dumb? I drove for an hour to clear my head after we got knocked out of the playoffs my senior year because it was the last football I'd play.

Losing at the highest level like that has gotta be fucked, and Cam getting shit on for leaving is the dumbest thing. Hell, press conferences are already dumb and sports media is entitled as shit. They cry whenever they don't get their way and somebody snubs them or doesn't treat them like the royalty they think they are. Look at how they cried about Lynch trotting his lines out.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Y'all wanna know something dumb? I drove for an hour to clear my head after we got knocked out of the playoffs my senior year because it was the last football I'd play.

Losing at the highest level like that has gotta be fucked, and Cam getting shit on for leaving is the dumbest thing. Hell, press conferences are already dumb and sports media is entitled as shit. They cry whenever they don't get their way and somebody snubs them or doesn't treat them like the royalty they think they are. Look at how they cried about Lynch trotting his lines out.

There's two groups of people who are upset about this whole thing.

The first group is sports writers who are not so secretly giddy because they can amp it up as a story.

The second group is middle aged to old white people who are way whinier than a young man who just had the biggest disappointment in his entire life.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Also people are really judging him for not driving on that fumble at the end of the game when they were still down by six.

He does look like he hops away from the ball but I don't think it was intentional. Like, I think he thought the ball was going to go a different direction.

I think he brain farted and thought it was an incomplete pass.

Newton was about a half-second from getting it back, but someone dove underneath and punched it out. Like, serious ninja reflexes there, and you can't fault someone for just not managing to be the lowest dog in the dogpile. He had his hands on it, even. Expecting him to dive in any harder is like expecting the punter to tackle; yeah, they're gonna try, but it's the punter, come on.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    He did not have his hands on it

Nobody punched it out they pulled it in.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    He did not have his hands on it

Nobody punched it out they pulled it in.

Nah it squirted away almost as soon as it came to him. Panther lineman pulled it in but couldn't keep it under him.

• Options

And what do these two men have in common...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

They both play in the NFL? They've both lost in Super Bowls? They both went to college? They're both American? They both -- wait a second!

Yeah, it's a good point. But it's not what the argument was, and really, Manning has always been known as a bit of a cry-baby on the field. I mean, they have a name for it: Manning-face.

Newton definitely gets it worse than most I've seen. That's totally not in dispute.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

There's two groups of people who are upset about this whole thing.

The first group is sports writers who are not so secretly giddy because they can amp it up as a story.

The second group is middle aged to old white people who are way whinier than a young man who just had the biggest disappointment in his entire life.

I don't know why I care. I know there are gonna be some hot takes! But it sucks me in. Like YouTube comments

• Options
    Eh, the more I think about it, the less I care. Honestly, what does anyone want out of that interview? The better move -- the classy move -- is for the media to back the fuck off and just focus on the winner (short of discussions of why the losers lost). Give them a few days to decompress and then give interviews about the loss, when they can actually talk about it. And if they don't want to? OK. I don't need to hear about that big of a loss, really.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    I am perfectly fine with Cam Newton, Peyton Manning, LeBron James, and even Bill Belichick walking off in a huff after a really tough loss. Some people can instantly decompress and be congratulatory to their opponents in defeat which is great for them but some can't and they elect to back away to prevent embarrassing themselves before they get the chance calm down. It has nothing to do with a lack of respect or humility. They're just super pissed off because they worked really hard and losing on big stages really sucks.

Cam wasn't an asshole because he stormed out of a pointless press conference. He stormed out of a pointless press conference to avoid being an asshole.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    sports media is human refuse? this is breaking news, someone call the sports media!

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    I am perfectly fine with Cam Newton, Peyton Manning, LeBron James, and even Bill Belichick walking off in a huff after a really tough loss. Some people can instantly decompress and be congratulatory to their opponents in defeat which is great for them but some can't and they elect to back away to prevent embarrassing themselves before they get the chance calm down. It has nothing to do with a lack of respect or humility. They're just super pissed off because they worked really hard and losing on big stages really sucks.

Cam wasn't an asshole because he stormed out of a pointless press conference. He stormed out of a pointless press conference to avoid being an asshole.

No it's a bad example because Cam is a LEADER and he needs to be a ROLE-MODEL. What does it say to all the young, impressionable athletes that Cam SHOWBOATS and destroys property of other team's fans? And when he loses?

He showed ZERO CLASS when he walked off from the presser. That shows to kids when things don't go your way you can just IGNORE the ones demanding you be held ACCOUNTABLE.

He is too full of himself and glad he got knocked down a peg or two.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

as an eagles fan, i hope we find a way to give the rams another 2nd round pick. don't half ass your silly roster moves. full ass! at least it'll be something to be amused about since god knows the eagles are in a mess of trouble.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    This is just the version of the Cam Newton hot take we were going to get no matter what the outcome was.

Could you imagine if they had won and he pulled the shit Manning did with Budweiser?

The takes would have scorching.

Peyton is beyond reproach, duh. Football royalty.

*commence single-handed jerking motion*

we don't need simulations of what peyton manning did to a trainer, thank you

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    cam newton tried to go out and do something that he was obligated to do but did not want to do

he then realized that he wasn't up to it and walked away

• Options
    This is just the version of the Cam Newton hot take we were going to get no matter what the outcome was.

Could you imagine if they had won and he pulled the shit Manning did with Budweiser?

The takes would have scorching.

Peyton is beyond reproach, duh. Football royalty.

*commence single-handed jerking motion*

we don't need simulations of what peyton manning did to a trainer, thank you

I said jerking motion, not power squat!

• Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    I am having a hard time finding another instance where public opinion switched so fast on a player where a crime wasn't involved. Dude is getting killed on sports radio. Yes, yes, the unwashed masses, but for real: you're the leader of the team. You want to be a leader like Brady and Big Ben? Act like it.

Still, looking forward to more of him next season.

public opinion did not switch on him at all

nearly every single person complaining about cam today have been lying in wait for him to do something, anything, that they could complain about

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    No way, all the ads of kids singing about their parents boning were way worse than PuppyMonkeyBaby.

The winner of ads is of course the Walken Hyundai ad.

Gonna go out on a limb and suggest it was not the winner of the ads, because you didn't remember it was a KIA commercial

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    simo wrote: »
    I am having a hard time finding another instance where public opinion switched so fast on a player where a crime wasn't involved. Dude is getting killed on sports radio. Yes, yes, the unwashed masses, but for real: you're the leader of the team. You want to be a leader like Brady and Big Ben? Act like it.

Still, looking forward to more of him next season.

public opinion did not switch on him at all

nearly every single person complaining about cam today have been lying in wait for him to do something, anything, that they could complain about

OK, I admitted that my weak source was sports talk radio. What source do you have? I call total bullshit on this narrative that Cam is a constant target. Sure, some people will hate, because they're haters. But the vast majority to the point of being nearly all? Nah, I don't buy that for a second.

I have heard of three negative stories that got any traction, and two of those made the accuser look worse than him: the people who wrote letters complaining about him, and when he ripped down the Seahawks flag. He didn't look great for that one, but that's the worst that can be said: the optics weren't great. The two letters made the authors look like asses along with the guilt-by-association that landed on anyone that agreed with them (of which I know of none, but -- like these theoretical haters -- that doesn't mean they don't exist).

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular

Now let's see if the Rams call no takesees backsees.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I'm glad the Eagles realized that Foles was their guy

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Johnny Manziel hit ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley so hard that it ruptured her left eardrum, Crowley's attorney told Dallas-Fort Worth television station NBC5 on Monday.

"They expect [the ear] to heal, but it'll take a while," attorney Kathy Kinser told NBC5.
    A Dallas police spokesman said Monday there was nothing new to release on the investigation.

Crowley filed for a protective order last week in Tarrant County, Texas. The order was issued, and Manziel has to stay away from Crowley for two years.

A copy of Crowley's affidavit asking for protection was included in the NBC5 story.

Included are the details that Crowley states led to her being hit in the left side of the head.

The affidavit states that Manziel dragged Crowley down some back steps to the hotel exit. As they passed a valet, Crowley states she pleaded with a valet as the pair left, saying: "Please don't let him take me. I'm scared for my life!" The valet responded he didn't know what to do.

Manziel took her to Crowley's car, where she states she got in the car's passenger seat "against my will." As he was backing up, she jumped out, ran across the street and hid in some bushes.

Manziel made a U-turn to where she was, grabbed her by her hair and threw her in the car.

"He hit me with his open hand on my left ear for jumping out of the car," the affidavit states. "I realized immediately that I could not hear out of that ear, and I cannot today [Feb. 3, the date of the filing]."

Crowley writes that the argument continued on the way to her apartment and in the apartment itself.

"I continue to be extremely concerned for my health and well-being," she wrote.

yep

fuck Johnny Manziel

Xehalus on
  • Options
    I just saw DeMarcus Ware on Jimmy Kimmel.

He is charming as hell!

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Man

Before, Manziel was just another haha-funny piece of shit

I'm sure he won't see any jailtime, but I sure wish he would and I wouldn't shed a tear if this spelled the end of his NFL "career".

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Well

Now that no one else will touch him, Jerry can bring another sack of shit down to Dallas

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    PFT said the league's considering putting him under paid leave while they investigate. Which would mean Cleveland wouldn't be able to fire him in March

*sighing intensifies* The one time I want the Browns to catch a break

• Options
    The difference between Manziel and Greg Hardy is Hardy can actually play at a high level. I think it's much more likely Johnny ends up out of the league than in a Cowboys uniform.
    PFT said the league's considering putting him under paid leave while they investigate. Which would mean Cleveland wouldn't be able to fire him in March

*sighing intensifies* The one time I want the Browns to catch a break

There's an update to that: They are in the offseason right now which means they aren't being paid thus no paid leave to put them on. Cleveland should still be able to cut him as planned.

• Options
    Let's debate
    Beast mode... Hall of Famer?

Discuss

This discussion has been closed.