As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Game Thread where we discuss genre name semantics

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I hate Like-Likes so goddamned much

See, I like 'em. But just as friends. I don't, like, like-like Like-Likes.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    rhylith wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Jeez, Unravel is a pretty game.

I can't see anything about Unravel now without thinking of how hilariously awful that Kill Screen article ThatDudeOverThere linked on Twitter is. Or at least I think it was tdot.

(Ps TDOT you're good at Twitter)

I like the cut of this guy's jib

EDIT: Whoops, didn't mean to summon

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

I can't see anything about Unravel now without thinking of how hilariously awful that Kill Screen article @ThatDudeOverThere linked on Twitter is. Or at least I think it was tdot.

I'm honestly struggling to understand what the author is even getting at.

It's like some random rant about nothing they're having while waiting for their morning coffee.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

I can't see anything about Unravel now without thinking of how hilariously awful that Kill Screen article @ThatDudeOverThere linked on Twitter is. Or at least I think it was tdot.

It's like some random rant about nothing they're having while waiting for their morning coffee.

They hate it when games try to make you feel things

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

They hate it when games try to make you feel things

That's not what it says at all but

Okay

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's about projecting a perceived insincerity that is not there

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Or is, depending on your views

But yeah totally

I'm happy to know I'm not alone in this particular view though

EDIT: It was nice to see him call out Child of Light too because I feel pretty similarly about that game, although I ended up digging that game quite a bit from a mechanical perspective, the battle system was rad

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Everything about the reveal of Unravel and how it has been marketed is the most sincere thing in the world

That man was about to cry on stage because he could talk about his little yarn friend

What is the more likely option

That it is a genuinely emotional project for him and his team

Or that he is the best actor in the history of games development

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The weirdest part about that article to me is that he uses phrases like "Yarny can go fuck himself" and that casual tone while also saying things like "commodification of childhood" and "false binary" but doesn't really take the time to set up the conceptual or critical framework he is using those terms in.

Basically like, man, pick a tone or a voice for your piece, that's just a jumbled mess.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Everything about the reveal of Unravel and how it has been marketed is the most sincere thing in the world

That man was about to cry on stage because he could talk about his little yarn friend

The latter, 100%

I understand I don't see eye to eye on this with everybody else

But that whole presentation felt like maybe the most false thing EA has ever put on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I respect your opinion but I genuinely cannot see how someone could watch that and think "yeah that guy is just a really good actor and faking all of this"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

I'm not sure how anyone can make a definitive statement either way.

• Options
    I think it is really uncharitable to look at that game and go "they didn't mean any of this"

Sure you can not like it, but to say they're trying to pull a fast one on the entire audience feels unnecessarily mean

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I respect your opinion but I genuinely cannot see how someone could watch that and think "yeah that guy is just a really good actor and faking all of this"

And conversely I don't see how anyone could watch that and take it at face value!

• Options
    Firewatch just went live on PSN, it unlocks on Steam in about an hour

I will point people in the direction of the thread that was made for the game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Whether you like the game or not I don't really care, what I've seen of it suggests I probably don't give a fuck about that game

But trying to paint it as this calculated pin point attack on your heartstrings is an incredibly cynical view

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The weirdest part about that article to me is that he uses phrases like "Yarny can go fuck himself" and that casual tone while also saying things like "commodification of childhood" and "false binary" but doesn't really take the time to set up the conceptual or critical framework he is using those terms in.

Basically like, man, pick a tone or a voice for your piece, that's just a jumbled mess.

He also doesn't even bother to try the game itself and instead writes it off based on the perception of the marketing and premise.

This is fine for an individual to do, but it is 100% not ok for a critic to include this article in the "news" section of a publication. It's a one-two bullshit punch of super clickbaity and the equivalent of a film critic looking at a poster for a movie and writing a bad review based entirely on that.

Game publications are generally really bad about separating their editorial from their actual news but "Burn In Hell, Yarny" as "news" is a whole new tier of terrible.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Whether you like the game or not I don't really care, what I've seen of it suggests I probably don't give a fuck about that game

But trying to paint it as this calculated pin point attack on your heartstrings is an incredibly cynical view

You know I bet you, honestly, that there are some really interesting things to unpack and analyze about yarny if we look deep into it.

How an adult looks back and conceptualizes childhood, how distance and time changes and warps those lived experiences. How other adults take that conception of childhood and how they interpret through their own flawed, remembered conception of childhood. Does Yarny conform to or subvert the commonly held attitudes towards childhood? Etc etc etc.

But that article does none of that. It just sets up some weird strawman false binary and knocks it over while swearing for... reasons?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    He's not reviewing the game so I'm not sure what you're on about?

People write articles about the marketing of media all the time

• Options
    It's certainly unprofessional, bad writing.

Like, even if what he is saying has actual merit (which I am unsure of, because I am still somewhat unsure of what he is actually trying to get at) that is a horribly written article regardless.

Never should have made it past an editor.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

The latter, 100%

But that whole presentation felt like maybe the most false thing EA has ever put on

man

You really think it is more likely

MORE common of an occurance

For someone who is telling you they enjoyed doing something to be lying to you and also an excellent actor than just actually having enjoyed it

I'm trying to figure out what my world view would be through that filter and its very upsetting

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

The latter, 100%

man

For someone who is telling you they enjoyed doing something to be lying to you and also an excellent actor than just actually having enjoyed it

I'm trying to figure out what my world view would be through that filter and its very upsetting

I never said it was more common

But I'll flip that on you and say "you really think that everything everyone says about their personal feelings should be taken at face value, at all times?"

I would imagine, or at least hope, that your answer is no

This is something I feel in my gut, it is hard to describe or put into words. When I saw that presentation, my gut told me "this dude is so full of shit right now"

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The author just seems upset that a game is wants to make him feel something and because he doesn't like how the game might make him feel it is clearly a conniving emotionally manipulative force

As if every game (or indeed all media) aren't trying to make you feel something

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

He also doesn't even bother to try the game itself and instead writes it off based on the perception of the marketing and premise.

This is fine for an individual to do, but it is 100% not ok for a critic to include this article in the "news" section of a publication. It's a one-two bullshit punch of super clickbaity and the equivalent of a film critic looking at a poster for a movie and writing a bad review based entirely on that.

Game publications are generally really bad about separating their editorial from their actual news but "Burn In Hell, Yarny" as "news" is a whole new tier of terrible.

haha what? He didn't even play it? Wow.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

Also

Jesus, if anyone ever knew my true feelings about anything...

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    He's not reviewing the game so I'm not sure what you're on about?

People write articles about the marketing of media all the time

This kind of thing is generally reserved for the editorial section of a publication, the place you expect to hear weird or obnoxious opinions. The fact it's flagged as news and the tone the article takes basically tells me to write off the entire website instead of just the editorial section.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    And what if it is a calculated design to make the player feel emotions?

Art is designed to make us feel emotions all the fuckin time!

That's not a bad thing!

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

I can't see anything about Unravel now without thinking of how hilariously awful that Kill Screen article ThatDudeOverThere linked on Twitter is. Or at least I think it was tdot.

it was! and thank you!

I'd never heard of kill screen before last night, but between that article and this one, I'm ready to dismiss it altogether

I believe Kill Screen started a Kickstarter to start producing a print version?

And then a bunch of writers came out to talk about how they freelanced for Kill Screen and they never paid them

Well, I used to like Killscreen but my opinion of them has pretty much tanked overnight

welp

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

The latter, 100%

Okay so, at a game developers conference here in Australia last year I met this dude, and he did the closing keynote for the conference.

He goes into way more detail about his personal life and history and all the origins and emotions behind the idea for Yarny that he and the rest of the team envisioned.

And frankly just knowing about it 100% convinces me that calling him the best actor in the history of games development is incredibly heartless and uncharitable. assuming the worst in people without looking into it further just makes me very sad

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    You can think a thing is too cutesy and twee for you
    That's a legitimate complaint. But generally it's better to just own that feeling, instead of projecting unsincerity on the part of the creator.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    when the hell did wario 64 stop being upside down

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

The latter, 100%

man

But I'll flip that on you and say "you really think that everything everyone says about their personal feelings should be taken at face value, at all times?"

I would imagine, or at least hope, that your answer is no

This is something I feel in my gut, it is hard to describe or put into words. When I saw that presentation, my gut told me "this dude is so full of shit right now"

Unless someone has specifically given me reason to believe they are fucking with me,

Yes absolutely.

Like, if someone says something is upsetting to them and your response is "eh they're probably not actually upset", that's fucked up.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Listen here I've had movie posters telling me to trust no one for years now, it'd be ridiculous to just ignore such widespread advice

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Listen here I've had movie posters telling me to trust no one for years now, it'd be ridiculous to just ignore such widespread advice

What if you can't trust... Movie posters?!

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

The latter, 100%

man

Yes, until proven otherwise.

I had a sneery cynical "look at all these false people" phase back in the day and all it really got me was a perpetual bad mood.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

you're goddamn buggered then

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

buggered to hell and back the truncated history of humanity by Vann Diras

Big ol sticker on the front cover that reads TRUST NO ONE

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

buggered to hell and back the truncated history of humanity by Vann Diras

Big ol sticker on the front cover that reads TRUST NO ONE

*pet dogs though*

This discussion has been closed.