Options

[Deadpool] Clawing his way back to relevancy

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    My showing of this started with a bunch of us running into the hall because the trailers were in 3D and this wasn't supposed to be a 3D showing. We were told it was just the trailers and the movie wouldn't be in 3D. No one noticed the trailers were all kids movies until Kung Fu Panda 3 started playing. They fixed it quickly and got us on to Deadpool, but that happening could have perfectly been part of the movie.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Okay, this one blew my mind.

If trends hold, this will be 20th Century Fox's biggest opening ever.
    SATURDAY UPDATE: Deadpool brought in an estimated $47.5 million on Friday and an "A" CinemaScore. That's the largest Friday ever in February, besting Fifty Shades of Grey's $30.2 million Friday last year by a whopping $17.3 million. Projections now have the film opening with $110-116 million for the three-day weekend and possibly as much as $130 million for the four-day, both of which would obviously be records. Here's another look at the records Deadpool is looking to break:

Largest February Opening Weekend: $85.1 million (Fifty Shades of Grey)
    Largest 4-Day President's Day Weekend: $93 million (Fifty Shades of Grey)
    Largest R-Rated Opening Weekend: $91.7 million (The Matrix Reloaded)
    Largest R-Rated Comic Adaptation Opening Weekend: $70.8 million (300)
    Largest Winter Season Opening Weekend: $89.2 million (American Sniper)
    Largest Opening Ever for 20th Century Fox: $108.4 million (Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith)

Right now, it looks like all of those records will be falling, but for even more detail on the records click here.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4155&p=.htm

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I cringed at the Kiera Knightley joke. Not cool deadpool.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Kruite wrote: »
    What? She does have good range!

Very fun movie. Enjoyed it more than a BJ shot.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

She's got range man. I think that's more a joke on casting for parts in movies based on previous mediums being really random. I could totally see Fox deciding Cable should be a sexy british lady.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Now I want Keira Knightley to be Cable in the sequel.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    It'd be cool to have lady cable, but did the joke go over all of your heads?
    they are recruiting actors with flat tops...[\spoiler]

Kruite on
  • Options

?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    they are recruiting actors with flat tops...[\spoiler]

...?

............???

......?

... Ohhhhhh!

Yeah I don't think they were going for that

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    How the shit did Deadpool beat a Star Wars film?

How is that a thing that happened?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Lucas prequel, and theater prices have gone up. I mean I'm sure adjusted BO it doesn't.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Movies make shitloads more now than they did 10 years ago.

Like there's a massive shift towards the end of the 2010's where what constitutes a huge success has gone up like mad.

Besides Titanic, the top 12 highest grossing movies of all time were all made 2009 or later. Besides Avatar and Titanic, all were made 2011 or later.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

People were sour after episodes 1-3?

Deadpool has the backing of the MCU and it's a new IP in the movie realm?

Rated R super hero movie? Let's hope for a rated R Batman soon.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I honestly think this is my new favorite comic-book movie. I don't have a complaint about a single scene.

Also, me and my friend forgot to buy tickets in advance so all that was available for us was D-box seats. First time trying D-box, but I thought it worked REALLY well for this movie. Added a lot to the action scenes IMO, and they didn't do ANYTHING with it in the dramatic talking scenes, so it didn't feel really over-used or gimmicky. My friend had to turn hers down a couple settings because she easily gets motion sick, but I kept it on full intensity for the whole movie.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Like, to put it into focus, out of the top 50 highest grossing movies of all time, 62% of them were released in 2009 or later. Part of it is inflation, another part is higher ticket prices (*cough3Dcough*) and another part is a greater foreign presence and market.

1993 - 1
    1994 - 1
    1997 - 1
    1999 - 1
    2001 - 2
    2002 - 3
    2003 - 2
    2004 - 1
    2005 - 2
    2006 - 1
    2007 - 3
    2008 - 1
    Total = 19

2009 - 4
    2010 - 4
    2011 - 3
    2012 - 6
    2013 - 5
    2014 - 2
    2015 - 7
    Total = 31

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Like, to put it into focus, out of the top 50 highest grossing movies of all time, 62% of them were released in 2009 or later

1993 - 1
    1994 - 1
    1997 - 1
    1999 - 1
    2001 - 2
    2002 - 3
    2003 - 2
    2004 - 1
    2005 - 2
    2006 - 1
    2007 - 3
    2008 - 1
    Total = 19

2009 - 4
    2010 - 4
    2011 - 3
    2012 - 6
    2013 - 5
    2014 - 2
    2015 - 7
    Total = 31

How does it shake out if inflation is adjusted for, or is it already?

I'm just curious in case that's already been done by someone, don't go doing math on my part, I wouldn't have it.

• Options
    It shakes out very differently. (Gone with the Wind is the undisputed highest grossing movie of all time, adjusted for inflation, and likely won't ever be beaten.)

Here's the top 100 domestics adjusted for inflation. The numbers I put up just now were worldwide.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    When no one was looking, Deadpool made 47 million dollars. He made 47 million dollars. That's as much as 4 10 millions. And that's terrible.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    You know, I loved this movie but I admit I didn't think that much - at the time - about the "cock sucker" jokes being interpreted as homophobic*. That's pretty disappointing to hear, but they are at least talking about acknowledging Deadpool as Pansexual. Ryan Reynolds has already talked about how it would be "Awesome" if Deadpool had a boyfriend in the sequel - which is now definitively happening.

This has been in my top 3 Marvel Superhero movies though, but there is so much of me that wishes Deadpool could be part of the MCU after this. Ryan has done for Deadpool what Robert did for Iron Man IMO.

*And yes, that's entirely because I'm a straight dude, so the negative connotation flew over my head the first time.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Aegeri wrote: »
    You know, I loved this movie but I admit I didn't think that much - at the time - about the "cock sucker" jokes being interpreted as homophobic*. That's pretty disappointing to hear, but they are at least talking about acknowledging Deadpool as Pansexual. Ryan Reynolds has already talked about how it would be "Awesome" if Deadpool had a boyfriend in the sequel - which is now definitively happening.

This has been in my top 3 Marvel Superhero movies though, but there is so much of me that wishes Deadpool could be part of the MCU after this. Ryan has done for Deadpool what Robert did for Iron Man IMO.

*And yes, that's entirely because I'm a straight dude, so the negative connotation flew over my head the first time.

As a pansexual myself, I didn't mind the cocksucker jokes, I would interpret them as Wade just trying to get a rise out of Colossus. I also acknowledge that I have a high tolerance for such epithets and that they can be problematic for a lot of LGBT folks, so I'm not gonna say that it was perfectly fine. As I've said before, I knew going in it was gonna be a rude, crude movie, and it was. Hopefully they take the criticisms to heart and run with it for the next one.
    Also, they're already including Wade's boyfriend. Cable's gonna be in it, right?

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
  • Options
    He's got the flat top, but he's a little old I'd say?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

hey now.
    that's kinda ageist of you, don't you think?

I think he'd fit!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    If Cable was a non acting part I'd say they should get BEEEEEEERROCCCCKKKK LESNAR. Then again with the homophobia in the first movie I don't know if getting a guy with a dick tattooed on his chest would be a good idea or a bad idea, and Brock is a terrible actor.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    If Cable was a non acting part I'd say they should get BEEEEEEERROCCCCKKKK LESNAR. Then again with the homophobia in the first movie I don't know if getting a guy with a dick tattooed on his chest would be a good idea or a bad idea, and Brock is a terrible actor.

Nah, dude's too chunky!
    and that's a sword depicted on his chest!
    It's not like you can swallow a swo--oh i see what you did there!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Oh, and I have to say the sex montage is like the best depiction of sex in a movie ever
    The random cut to them sitting and quietly reading together, and then of course the pegging...

Happy Lent!

(that just killed me)

sig.gif
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

It's got a better opening than 75% of the MCU (everything except Avengers 1&2, and Ironman 3). Yes, he beat 2 of the Ironman movies. On Valentine's weekend, with an R rating. This is insane.

boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=superhero.htm&sort=opengross&order=DESC&p=.htm

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

People were sour after episodes 1-3?

Deadpool has the backing of the MCU and it's a new IP in the movie realm?

Rated R super hero movie? Let's hope for a rated R Batman soon.
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about Revenge of the Sith, which Deadpool beat out as the largest Fox opening day. It isn't anywhere close to beating out Force Awakens. By opening day TFA had over $170 million just in the US.
    Also, Deadpool isn't part of the MCU.

Right now the international numbers are less than 1/10th of the total $147mil. But this will probably make a big statement because it's also a super successful movie that has been banned from several big international markets.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Cable has been drawn pretty freaking old at times. It depends on the artist. The look is less important than "can he act the part" though.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    more colossus pls!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I know he's not part of the MCU, but he's definitely benefiting from the prestige that comes with a marvel movie.

Sour grapes was more of a general statement in regards to 1-3 since Jar Jar really riled up some nerds.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    You know, I just realized something. The way the flick tinkered with Deadpool's origin, it technically makes him a mutant.

Would that be a way for Fox to make sure the MCU can't use him? Or am I overthinking this and this was just a pretext to get Colossus and Negasonic in there?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    You know, I just realized something. The way the flick tinkered with Deadpool's origin, it technically makes him a mutant.

Would that be a way for Fox to make sure the MCU can't use him? Or am I overthinking this and this was just a pretext to get Colossus and Negasonic in there?

Whether a character is a mutant or not has no bearing on whether they can show up in both Fox and Marvel films. See: Quicksilver. It's all just based on how the characters were divvied up during negotiation. I'm not sure if Deadpool is one of them who both studios can use or not.

To be frank, I'm not sure if I'd want to see Deadpool show up in Avengers flicks (except maybe as a cameo): part of what sells this movie is how the tone plays on the pretty grimdark X-Men movies by making them look like comparative boy scouts, while the MCU films are already a lot more jovial/lighthearted to begin with. Also Deadpool is fundamentally an X-Men character; all his best character relationships are with the X-Men.

If anything, any integration of the MCU into Deadpool would be more enjoyable if it were the other way around: having Captain America or Ironman show up briefly in Deadpool 2 or something.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Updated tally: $135 million for just the first three days of the weekend, could go up to $150 million by the end of the holiday.

Weren't the initial expectations $60 million or so? Good lord.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I wish future me could go back to 2009 and tell the me who just left a showing of Wolverine: Origins that it's okay, everything will be alright in the end

• Options
    Updated tally: $135 million for just the first three days of the weekend, could go up to $150 million by the end of the holiday.

Weren't the initial expectations $60 million or so? Good lord.

I hope Ryan Reynolds is flipping his shit right now.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Road Block wrote: »
    My joy at Deadpools success is somewhat blunted by the fact it rewards the geese who cut millions from an already shoestring budget at the last minute.

I'm kinda curious about that. The writers actually said that cut helped tighten up the script though that may have just been PR talk. I felt the script was on just the right side of too drawn out so I'm wondering if maybe it was ultimately a good thing.
    I had heard (probably from here, now that I think about it) that there was a massive shootout scene planned for the scrapyard that was cut when the budget was reduced, I think it worked better to have Deadpool forget his Hello Kitty dufflebag in the cab (again).

While I'm not a person who would turn down a massive on-screen gun-fight if offered, I think the movie worked fine without it. Thought it was a great call back to the highway fight with DP only having 12 bullets.

Also, something I thought was a nice touch, Colossus didn't just talk the hero talk, he walked the walk. He was carrying Angel away as the scrapyard was collapsing at the end.

see317 on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Let's be careful about spoilers in hurr

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Going off of the Spider-Man contract leaked from Sony, the contracts have listed characters (like 7-8 pages long in the case of Spider-Man) that can be used by the studio. Deadpool was a mutant and introduced in an X-Men book, so Fox got the rights to him when they bought the rights to X-Men. They didn't do anything to him with this movie or any of the other ones that changes the rights to the character.

The only reason Quicksilver and Scarlet witch are shared is because they're "mutants*" but are better known as members of the Avengers and have been for an exceedingly long time. There's a few of these characters, races, and concepts that are shared because when Marvel was splitting up their rights packages for sale they probably wanted to be able to sell whole packages rather than, say, leaving the Silver Surfer out of the Fantastic Four deal because he'd had his own series by then.

*That one was up in the air before Fox even bought the rights, but they were probably listed in the contract as characters allowed for use under the X-Men contract.