Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I'm really torn on this one

Flight is cooler but invisibility will help me secure the reports to help me corner the frozen orange juice market

I feel like super jump enhancing equipment should be mandatory for flight and ninja squid mandatory for team invis

Really appreciate that Nintendo has a history of flying squids and octopuses are masters of camo

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    I would not be surprised if team flight's splatfest tee had quick super jump and team invisible had ninja squid as the primary ability.

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if team flight's splatfest tee had quick super jump and team invisible had ninja squid as the primary ability.

I think that would be the first time the abilities were different for each side right?

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    As far as I know, yes.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Man did they really put the better choice on Marina's side again?

I was ready to choose Pearl but now I have to look like one of those Marina-worshipers like last time.

Invisibility can get you flight. You just go invisibly steal a jetpack. Flight can't get you invisibility.

Flight is just like a brief bit of entertainment, whee, I'm soaring around, and maybe get to some places faster. Invisibility is universally useful.

Plus if this was in the real world? It wouldn't take long before people realized you could fly, sticking out like a sore thumb up there, scientists would want to study you, you'd go before some federal committee who would limit your airspace and flight times and you could be fined for doing it, there'd be so much red tape. Invisibility is the exact opposite of that.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that splatfest tees are going to keep having that ability that doubles the effect of the sub abilities.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Flight can be useful in major or minor ways every day of your life. Especially if your control is fine enough that you can just hover in place or maintain existing momentum.

Invisibility is good if you want to commit crimes, or otherwise be secretly naked (and possibly blind?) somewhere. It's got its uses, but flight is something I'd be happy to have every day of my life.

Enlong on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Flight is really useful, probably a lot more useful in daily life.

But invisibility gets you the big stuff. Like stealing millions of dollars and never having to work again. Also as someone with a fair degree of social anxiety, being able to go out and not be seen for most of the time would be pretty nice for me.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Flight, no question.

Sure invisibility might help with my anxiety issues sometimes, but flight has been a literal dream of mine for ages.

Besides, moving invisibly through a crowd of people won't stop them bumping into me. In fact, they'd bump into me even more, which would get annoying. With flight I could just fly over them. So much simpler.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Invisibility only works for visual identification right? You still have heat/mass/take up space. You're not stealing millions from places with proper security... I'll take flight to get to work fast and never fly commercial (TSA, tiny seats, crappy airlines) again.

• Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    What kind of flight is this? Does it exhaust me? Is it more or less taxing than walking/running?

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Does flight also come with invulnerability or at least increased durability? Because you will inevitably crash or get hit by stuff and a regular squishy human body won't like that.

• Options
    Sul wrote: »
    What kind of flight is this? Does it exhaust me? Is it more or less taxing than walking/running?

I'd assume running speed, no exertion
    Based on nothing

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    nusu wrote: »
    Invisibility only works for visual identification right? You still have heat/mass/take up space. You're not stealing millions from places with proper security... I'll take flight to get to work fast and never fly commercial (TSA, tiny seats, crappy airlines) again.

Yeah you are. Our current security is not set up to detect invisible people. You won't show up on regular cameras, and if anyone has heat signature stuff that doesn't help them figure out who you are and where you went unless they're actively tracking you and keeping a bead on you as you escape.

We're not talking about walking into a giant safe and walking out carrying money bags. We're talking standing behind people as they log in and learning their password. Or staying somewhere after hours and easily avoiding the night watchmen. Or taking someone's door ID card at a time when you normally would be in plain sight.

But I'm not even about stealing, it's for a total sense of security anywhere you are...avoiding people or situations you don't want to have to deal with...getting out of all sorts of problems.

And again...everyone saying flight above aren't thinking of the logistics of being well-known as someone who can fly to literally everyone after a couple days. Being forced to answer to science and the government. Rednecks on the ground taking potshots at you, or else going too high and passing out from the thin air. No thanks.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Pearl, Marina, I'm going to need to see a document with the terms and conditions of each side before I make my choice.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    This is coming pretty close to asking the question of whether you would rather be a superhero or supervillain.

Most of flights applications that aren't you just fucking around and having fun lend themselves to a lot of lame superman boyscout bullshit like saving kittens from trees and civilians from the upper stories of burning buildings. A lot of personal gratification, not a lot of personal gain. Meanwhile, invisibility would likely be all about getting access to places you aren't supposed to be, taking shit, and maybe being a creep if that is your thing. You might not feel good about the things you're doing, but you are likely to personally benefit a lot if you're successful at what you're doing.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Yes, you'd probably have to live in fear of your powers being discovered if this is a question of "which of these powers would you have if you were the only person in the world with superpowers". And in that situation, invisibility would be the easier power to never use. Of course, while valid, that's a bit of a narrow premise that I don't think the splatfest is intending to ask.

In any case, if it's nude invisibility, like the icons suggest, then unless it was inborn and permanent invisibility, I'd be nervous to use it fully. Because what if I lose my focus in public? I've possibly exposed my secret and definitely exposed myself. Also, going most anywhere without shoes, or anywhere outside in winter without clothing, would be pretty damn rough.

Also, wouldn't invisibility make you blind?

Enlong on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    This is coming pretty close to asking the question of whether you would rather be a superhero or supervillain.

Most of flights applications that aren't you just fucking around and having fun lend themselves to a lot of lame superman boyscout bullshit like saving kittens from trees and civilians from the upper stories of burning buildings. A lot of personal gratification, not a lot of personal gain. Meanwhile, invisibility would likely be all about getting access to places you aren't supposed to be, taking shit, and maybe being a creep if that is your thing. You might not feel good about the things you're doing, but you are likely to personally benefit a lot if you're successful at what you're doing.

I've never heard this before, and it's actually super interesting to me. There's not a lot of good you can do with invisibility, especially compared to all of the bad. And there's not a lot of bad you can do with flight (other than to yourself), especially compared to all of the good. Neat.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    So, Pearl is more disposed to being a hero?

...nah, I get the feeling she doesn't consider all the logistics and potential beyond being able to float for fun.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm going team flight just for minor utility.

Neither power is high on my list.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    invisibility is miles better.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I finally hit A+ on Splat Zone. I think I'm going to take a break from ranked now and just play turf war for the time being. It's not as frustrating when you have bad teammates on turf war since rank isn't involved. I feel like I'm dangerous with all the weapons but right now the custom blaster is my go-to. It takes out bad guys in two hits, has a burst effect (which is hella OP right now imo), and the sub weapons are excellent. The auto-bomb is surprisingly effective and the inkjet is always good. It's a good fit for literally every mode, rainmaker, control tower, splat zones, and turf war.

Oh and this happened:

MawqlIo.jpg

I'm about halfway to the next one.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    So, Pearl is more disposed to being a hero?

...nah, I get the feeling she doesn't consider all the logistics and potential beyond being able to float for fun.

In terms of winning the splatfest, which is the only thing that matters, flight would edge out invisibility imo

You could figure out their location via ink, but with flight you're always out of range, and can just return to base to reload

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Really the worst part about invisibility would be the off-chance that whatever sneaky thing you are doing reminds you of a scene from Hallow Man.

• Options
    Yes, you'd probably have to live in fear of your powers being discovered if this is a question of "which of these powers would you have if you were the only person in the world with superpowers". And in that situation, invisibility would be the easier power to never use. Of course, while valid, that's a bit of a narrow premise that I don't think the splatfest is intending to ask.

In any case, if it's nude invisibility, like the icons suggest, then unless it was inborn and permanent invisibility, I'd be nervous to use it fully. Because what if I lose my focus in public? I've possibly exposed my secret and definitely exposed myself. Also, going most anywhere without shoes, or anywhere outside in winter without clothing, would be pretty damn rough.

What if you lose focus while 100 feet up

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    GMaster7 wrote: »

I've never heard this before, and it's actually super interesting to me. There's not a lot of good you can do with invisibility, especially compared to all of the bad. And there's not a lot of bad you can do with flight (other than to yourself), especially compared to all of the good. Neat.

There's a ton of good you can do with invisibility if you set out specifically to do good. Detective work that involves tailing or investigating locations becomes a breeze, identify criminals, take their weapons and drugs and money and deliver them to the police anonymously. Get into tense hostage situations and disarm or take out the bad guys. Get behind closed doors and expose government corruption.

Or heck become a Santa figure, deliver toys to poor/sick kids. The ultimate way to do do anonymous acts of kindness.

If you want to look at it literally, of course it's all trespassing. But these days, flight would be too! Airspace is legally divvied up among various participants, small aircraft, large aircraft etc. And there's various protocols you have to follow.
    You could easily get arrested for personal flight.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    You could buy the ability to fly today if you wanted to, you cant buy true invisibility:

https://youtu.be/rvQ9DjJNal0

Why not have the power to fly AND be invisible?

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Why would I go that high?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Flight is only good up until some asshole shoots you out of the sky.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Best superpower, flight/invisibility never as good as anyone expects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNbeyRwT8Uo

They come to the correct conclusion (within reason)
    stopping time

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Yes, getting murdered is a pretty universal damper on superpowers.

Well, except for immortality, of course.

• Options
    edited August 2017

The only thing that gives me pause on possibly choosing flight is the ability to GTFO. If there's a bomb about to go off then invisibility isn't going to help you get out fast. You might not have your invisibly-stolen jetpack on hand at the time.

But given that's the one exception I would still totally go with invisibility.

Wait, you're getting the power of flight and you're never going 100 feet up? And the question implies getting hurt from losing focus and falling...so you're never going to a height that could cause bodily harm? No higher than 10 feet or whatever?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    stopping time

While that is a really good answer, I think it would come in second (maybe even a distant second) to a power that allowed you to manipulate matter.

• Options
    Rami wrote: »
    stopping time

While that is a really good answer, I think it would come in second (maybe even a distant second) to a power that allowed you to manipulate matter.

That's why I added the 'within reason' disclaimer. Being able to just rewrite reality etc. obviously trumps everything because you could just give yourself all the powers as well whatever else you wanted to do.

As far as 'single ability' powers go, it's definitely the best one.

sig.gif
  • Options

The only thing that gives me pause on possibly choosing flight is the ability to GTFO. If there's a bomb about to go off then invisibility isn't going to help you get out fast. You might not have your invisibly-stolen jetpack on hand at the time.

But given that's the one exception I would still totally go with invisibility.

Wait, you're getting the power of flight and you're never going 100 feet up? And the question implies getting hurt from losing focus and falling...so you're never going to a height that could cause bodily harm? No higher than 10 feet or whatever?

Well, no. Not until I'm certain that falling isn't a thing I'm going to be doing, or I can get my hands on precautionary stuff to handle such a situation. Until then, I'd stick to low flight or hovering, for minor convenience, moving, and recreation. You don't drive on the freeway until you know how to handle a car.

• Options
    looking forward to being on a team where i can finally show off my art skills

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Next Europe Splatfest, not sure if North America will be the same

Edit: actually looks like it is in NA too

Thank god, I was kinda expecting it'd take place next week when I wouldn't have been able to play.

Not sure yet what side I'll choose.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Another frustrating scorecard:

gsVH2Dp.jpg

This shouldn't be possible.

Edit: and before you say "hey you only had 600p!" know that I had the blaster. It's not the blasters job to ink, it's the blasters job to kill the other guys to prevent them from inking ground and splatting teammates.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    I dunno, sorry, I feel like that should totally be possible. The mode was turf war, the point was to cover more territory and they did it in spite of barely killing anyone on your team. To me that's a mark of a really efficient group, to be killed that much and still win, lose so many battles but win the war.

Partly because I am all about that inking life. I almost never go out of my way to kill anyone, because I know that's not the primary focus of the game mode.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Looks like a bunch of kills on their worthless level 4 guy, while the ones who mattered went nuts - 1534 is a huge amount

In terms of splatting them to prevent them from inking - that worked on the only the one guy to basically bring him down to close to your own score, so it's a wash

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status: