Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, the fact they still all got a bunch of specials off says to me maybe they all died a whole bunch at the start and then ran around inking for the rest of the game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Do they ever do demos of this thing? It's been perennially intriguing to me, but until now I had no Nintendo anything, so moot. Now I do, but I am the very lowest grade of mediocre at shooters, and other people do tend to anger me... Some say unreasonably, but I think it's perfectly and utterly reasonable of me and I have no idea what they're talking about, my temples are NOT throbbing.

So... Yeah what's it like? Battlefront was cool 'cause even though I was awful, Stormtroopers are supposed to miss everything and fall over dead a lot, so alrighty then, plus I shot an Ewok. Is it possible for the crap to enjoy this? I need more titles for my new toy.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    dporowski wrote: »
    Do they ever do demos of this thing? It's been perennially intriguing to me, but until now I had no Nintendo anything, so moot. Now I do, but I am the very lowest grade of mediocre at shooters, and other people do tend to anger me... Some say unreasonably, but I think it's perfectly and utterly reasonable of me and I have no idea what they're talking about, my temples are NOT throbbing.

So... Yeah what's it like? Battlefront was cool 'cause even though I was awful, Stormtroopers are supposed to miss everything and fall over dead a lot, so alrighty then, plus I shot an Ewok. Is it possible for the crap to enjoy this? I need more titles for my new toy.

There were 2 limited time demos released prior to the release of the game.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

There were 2 limited time demos released prior to the release of the game.

Curses!

Well, I'll keep an eye out then. Or decide I hate money and my blood pressure one night and...

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I feel like if you're bad it's a good game to still let you feel like you're contributing

And if you're good it's a good game to get furious at your team as you take out the entire enemy squad only to get KO'd along with the last member, only to find out your team totally gone since they're worthless
    (They died in a 4v3 while you were trying to be sneaky but shhh)

I would not really expect any demos to be forthcoming

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    I've never enjoyed more 'serious' shooters online, but have a lot of fun with Splatoon. The learning curve is pretty gentle since there's a lot to do to be useful besides shooting squids / kids in the basic game mode. Also, even if you get angry at people, most matches are done in 3 minutes so you don't get much time before you either never see them again or preferably it shuffles the teams and you end up being able to shoot at them.

• Options
    3 minutes, seriously? And that's an actual proper "felt good about that" match, not a pubstomp?

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    3 minutes, seriously? And that's an actual proper "felt good about that" match, not a pubstomp?

3 minutes is for the unranked (well besides the behind the scenes match making) turf war. It's fixed length. Whoever covered more territory at the end of the 3 minutes wins.
    Ranked mode runs for a maximum of 5 minutes but is objective based so it can end sooner. Probably averages out about the same.

It's a pretty fast based game. The last 30 seconds is still plenty of time for a comeback.

Road Block on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Plus, the stages are fairly small/dense, so three minutes is plenty of time to cover your initial ground, have some back and forth over central control points / surges into enemy territory, and a frantic final minute where you desperately try to get your act together.

Watch some videos online and see if it is your cup of tea, but all of my friends who have played Splatoon love it, regardless of their videogame skill level. I even have a friend who bought a WiiU exclusively for Splatoon!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Yeah, 3 minutes is short, but it's still amazing how 'One more game' regularly takes 3-4 hours somehow.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    what the devil is that device

some kind of charger??

• Options
    Yeah. It has a somewhat short range, but charges quickly and has lower ink consumption.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I feel like if you're bad it's a good game to still let you feel like you're contributing

My son loves the game. If anyone plays any online games against my account, just know that he is terrible at it. Not being able to play 2 players on one Switch ruins the experience for me. The game is fun, but I'd rather play with folks in the same room than a bunch of strangers. No one we know has a Switch, so yeah....

He gets killed all the time, but he enjoys painting over the other team's color with his, so he definitely feels like a contributor.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I dunno, sorry, I feel like that should totally be possible. The mode was turf war, the point was to cover more territory and they did it in spite of barely killing anyone on your team. To me that's a mark of a really efficient group, to be killed that much and still win, lose so many battles but win the war.

Partly because I am all about that inking life. I almost never go out of my way to kill anyone, because I know that's not the primary focus of the game mode.

I agree with this for any score other than (ed:less than) that one. We were annihilating them the entire game AND we had dedicated inkers, which is a rarity for a pub game.

Edit: I dunno when that other guy died twice, but my only death happened like 30 seconds into the match.

Regarding what you guys are talking about:

The last 30 or so seconds are crucial for turf war. It's honestly worth it to hang back until that time, if you're confident in your ability to splat the enemy that is. Basically whoever has the most players left with 30 seconds to go is going to win. There are items that boost your speed and ink recovery during the last 30 seconds of a match, I suggest investing in one of them. There's also a special forces beret that boosts your speed during the first 30 seconds, which is good for ranked mode. If you have me in your lobby you can order both as hats (the other one is an olive drab boonie hat) as I switch between the two quite often.

Also, make sure not to stack too much of the same perk, they give diminishing returns when stacked so it's better to keep your perks varied.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Yeah yeah yeah! Was wondering when a Squiffer was going to show up, those were always my favorite chargers.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The quilted squiffer picker upper!

BOUUNNTYYY

Edit: also stormtroopers being inaccurate is a myth. Watch the OT again and you'll see what I mean. The only time they miss is when they're trying to miss on purpose at bespin, other than that they're pretty damn accurate throughout the series.

Edit: Obi-wan even said "only Imperial Stormtroopers are this precise", he wasn't being sarcastic.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Man they need more moderation on these drawings in-game.

• Options
    i haven't played in a bit and got on to see what you were talking about

took some screenshots because wow what are the odds these two would both be at this table
    oh it's everyone

well looking forward to gender splatfest

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Yeah they're getting real bad for some reason. Less cool drawings and more stupid memes written in "im writing this in crayon and im 5" style.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ... Is there a way to turn those idiotic things off?

• Options
    Learn Japanese, then forget English

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I like the miiverse. It's really interesting how it follows trends. First everyone is doing memes, then a week or two ago everyone was talking about furries, and now it's all trans-positive stuff. In a week it will be something different.

• Options
    ... Is there a way to turn those idiotic things off?

yes, in the "other" options.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Oh I didn't think there was actually a way

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Oh I didn't think there was actually a way

tbh I only discovered it last night, I didn't know either.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    If I thought for one moment they'd ever be used for anything like the developers envisioned, I'd leave them on. They will never be used so, and I really do not need the dumbest parts of the internet populating the air in what is essentially a game menu.

The controls are... These are really weird. Do they get less weird as you get used to them?

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I like the miiverse. It's really interesting how it follows trends. First everyone is doing memes, then a week or two ago everyone was talking about furries, and now it's all trans-positive stuff. In a week it will be something different.

I really only like them when it's a relatively fresh meme with a side of squid. It's annoying when it gets political. Splatoon is a game I play for escapism. I don't want to see any political posts, even if I agree with the viewpoint. And the furry stuff was just creepy. I may have to turn this shit off.

• Options
    edited August 2017

The controls are... These are really weird. Do they get less weird as you get used to them?
    Yes. Use motion controls and change the sensitivity each match until you find a setting that's comfortable for you. I have mine set to -5 and -5 for both handheld and tabletop/docked mode. Also remember that there are seperate sensitivity settings for both docked and handheld mode, so don't set your sensitivity in handheld mode and then wonder why it's not working while playing docked.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Yes. Use motion controls and change the sensitivity each match until you find a setting that's comfortable for you. I have mine set to -5 and -5 for both handheld and tabletop/docked mode. Also remember that there are seperate sensitivity settings for both docked and handheld mode, so don't set your sensitivity in handheld mode and then wonder why it's not working while playing docked.

God. I was afraid someone would say that. I couldn't hit a thing last night with them, but I guess they're the way to go as a consensus.

Then again, out of 4 matches, I wasn't being spawn camped in exactly one of them, and it was generally a bunch of level 30s to my level 1, so maybe not the best points of comparison. "Hi, yes I am new, I have the shitrifle, could you please stop teleporting explosives onto me for a moment so I may hit you?" That one match was pretty fun though!

dporowski on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    It's really uncommon to get spawn camped in this game. Heck, it doesn't even work since there's a shield over the starting point. The rest of your team must've been pretty bad to let things get that one-sided. :( Something to remember is that hitting "continue" puts you back in the same room again and may get you the same teammates, but quitting out and re-entering can get you a new crew. It's a good idea to regroup if things seem really lopsided.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2017

God. I was afraid someone would say that. I couldn't hit a thing last night with them, but I guess they're the way to go as a consensus.

Then again, out of 4 matches, I wasn't being spawn camped in exactly one of them, and it was generally a bunch of level 30s to my level 1, so maybe not the best points of comparison. "Hi, yes I am new, I have the shitrifle, could you please stop teleporting explosives onto me for a moment so I may hit you?" That one match was pretty fun though!

The key is finding the sensitivity settings that work for you. If you just set it to something randomly and expect it to work well it wont.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    It's really uncommon to get spawn camped in this game. Heck, it doesn't even work since there's a shield over the starting point. The rest of your team must've been pretty bad to let things get that one-sided. :( Something to remember is that hitting "continue" puts you back in the same room again and may get you the same teammates, but quitting out and re-entering can get you a new crew. It's a good idea to regroup if things seem really lopsided.

Be fair, I'm pretty bad too!

Yeah, I was dequeueing each time just because I was messing around with settings and whatnot. I'll probably keep doing that as I re-enable motion controls and slog through the adjustment. Y'all were right though, by the time I was starting to get pissy about being farmed like a soybean, the match was over.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I picked up the Inkling Girl Amiibo because I liked how it looked. But the Inkling Boy gives cooler gear, despite not looking quite as rad.

Oh no. Is this how it starts?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    forgive me if this is already a thing but I found a Splatoon squirt gun that shoots a colored ink-like substance at Best Buy and I'm absolutely fascinated by it:

Ep4wNd7.jpg

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    EIe8QzV.jpg

Probably the best round I've had so far. The weapon lineup this time is excellent.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    forgive me if this is already a thing but I found a Splatoon squirt gun that shoots a colored ink-like substance at Best Buy and I'm absolutely fascinated by it:

Ep4wNd7.jpg

Oh I wanted one of those! Gonna have to look on payday

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I felt a real sense of progression, where I started carrying my teams consistently, ranked up from Go-Getter to Over-Achiever, and now I am at the bottom of the pack again. Salmon Run rocks.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options

Ep4wNd7.jpg

Oh I wanted one of those! Gonna have to look on payday

they had two different kinds, that one for $34, and a smaller splattershot dualies-esque version for $15. They also had refill cartridges in various colors. I thought about getting one but I'm not sure if I can trust myself with a colored ink spewing squirt gun, even if the ink does come off easy.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Tossing a bomb at someone to revive them in salmon run makes the bomb explode right away, making it handy to revive someone from a distance. Especially if it's dangerous to get within range of them with your main weapon.