As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]Break a leg!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'd like to see the Rose highlights if someone has those.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    That was a fun fight.

Surprised no one is talking about it yet.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Chael beating up Fedor is my new most anticipated thing in Bellator

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Lol fedor

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    lol semtex

i was gonna post the raquel pennington thing too but it was too uncomfortable to watch again

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    That Punk thing was so embarrassing oh my god

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I think I'm probably gonna not watch UFC any more after this. Like... Decent fights tonight, but like, the weight issues, the culture of the sport and the fans and shit. I dunno.

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I think I'm probably gonna not watch UFC any more after this. Like... Decent fights tonight, but like, the weight issues, the culture of the sport and the fans and shit. I dunno.

This seems to be how a lot of people are feeling. I’m burnt out on it all. Still love rolling a bit but watching the sport and following what’s going on has died off a lot for sure. The CM Punk thing was awful, Yoel was clearly dealing with an injury going into the fight and it’s just tough to keep up with things. Kinda cool seeing Curtis beat Overeem though I actually saw an amateur fight of his. I just remember thinking he was fucking huge and he was smashing some fat guy. Because amateur mma.

Also I popped my knee pretty badly on thursday which is a huge bummer but my buddy I got injured rolling with brought over a bottle of malort and a burrito for me here so life is good man. While I might not like the sport as much as I did still loves my jiujitsu peoples.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yo that main event was insane though.

I legit jumped out of my seat and cheered when Yoel lost the decision because FUCK THAT GUY. Pretty good card overall though?
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    lol semtex

i was gonna post the raquel pennington thing too but it was too uncomfortable to watch again

What Raquel thing?

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Yeah, the UFC is seeming to be a victim of it's own success. They have a big enough roster to be putting on good cards almost every week, but it just dilutes the product for me. I can hardly put a face to half the main card these days when someones discussing it. Maybe it's just me though.

I will say that Covington's HHH impression is quite impressive though.

Campy on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    What Raquel thing?

ufc 224
    nunes absolutely dominated pennington for 4 rounds to the point that this happened after the 4th

and her coach talked her out of it and put her out there to get punished some more and ultimately TKO'd in the 5th basically pointless round
    it was clear to everyone watching that pennington was not capable of pulling off a KO of nunes at that point which would be the only sane reason to send her out there again like that especially with that mental state
    http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/23487164/amanda-nunes-knocks-raquel-pennington-ufc-224-defend-bantamweight-title

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Ohhh yea. I remember that. That was baddddd cornering. Bad bad cornering.

• Options
    Cormier is the best

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    If this Brock thing doesn't end with him getting knocked out and then Braun Strowman showing up with his Money in the Bank briefcase and becoming the WWE Universal Champion then what's even the point really

• Options
    grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    I want Hell in the Cell Match. DC gets to roid to the moon and they fight it out.

• Options
  • Options
    Last weekends fights were better than the weekend before for sure.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

they were. but also a pretty quick stoppage in the Aldo fight (I mean..... it looked bad but not sure it was done done) and the Alvarez fight after completely being derailed by a foul.

Both were the best back to back watch ive seen in a bit.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »

they were. but also a pretty quick stoppage in the Aldo fight (I mean..... it looked bad but not sure it was done done) and the Alvarez fight after completely being derailed by a foul.

Oh yea. DC seemed way too quick to say that was perfectly fine. "Don't give you your back and take unanswered shots if you don't want the fight to be stopped" man what he had literally just spun to that position and had taken one punch before the ref started in to stop it. Was really weird.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    What Raquel thing?

ufc 224
    nunes absolutely dominated pennington for 4 rounds to the point that this happened after the 4th

and her coach talked her out of it and put her out there to get punished some more and ultimately TKO'd in the 5th basically pointless round
    it was clear to everyone watching that pennington was not capable of pulling off a KO of nunes at that point which would be the only sane reason to send her out there again like that especially with that mental state
    http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/23487164/amanda-nunes-knocks-raquel-pennington-ufc-224-defend-bantamweight-title

This was dumb. She needs to drop them. When your athlete says they're done and they look like that they're done. In the gym you're there to push them but when you corner you're there to facilitate them.

NSDFRand on
  • Options

Oh yea. DC seemed way too quick to say that was perfectly fine. "Don't give you your back and take unanswered shots if you don't want the fight to be stopped" man what he had literally just spun to that position and had taken one punch before the ref started in to stop it. Was really weird.

i'm not sure he was getting out of that but it wasn't done.

Liver shots tho- Looks to be about the worst thing that can happen to you.....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

It is. Like your chin it's not something you can really condition. I've been set down by a liver shot before by my coach and I've set people down with them. It takes relatively little power behind a punch or kick to take effect. It's also much easier to hit bare knuckle or with the light MMA/grappling gloves because you can sneak in under the arm a little better. But in formats like Kyokushin where it's all about body shots guys seem better about protecting it.

• Options
    dillybar

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

When a professional fighter takes a body shot like that. And there's that tangible, palpable delay and that delay is the time it takes for their liver to tell their brain that it's leaving and that it's taking the kids (their legs) and moving back in with their mom... It's just something else.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    That is the most true MMA article ever written.

W A R D I A Z

• Options

I checked the fucking time on this 4 separate occasions because I couldn't believe it was 13 seconds long, I felt I aged at least 4 years hearing this

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Out of those four years how many days a week were you in living death

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    kid yamamoto :(

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    KOREAN ZOMBIE HAS A FIGHT SCHEDULED.

Fuck yesssssss.

Nov 10 vs Frankie Edgar

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Jon Jones eligible to fight next month.
    Sentence commuted from 30 months by snitching on others (UNDISCLOSED WHAT THIS EVEN IS) and the arbitrator got it further reduced.
    No supplement he claimed was tainted tested tainted.

For real and not internet talk- I already only buy 1-3 PPV a year, This seems like my stop, I think I'm going to just hang them up.

Machida got two years (Admitted to taking a substance prior to test and then to tested clean for that substance). Jones gets 15 months for a second offense.

I pass on this. I pass on the current UFC product. This is trash.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I will not watch a show with Jones in it, he doesn't deserve it, especially the more I've seen of Cormier just being a good guy and someone the UFC should have thrown more weight behind (who despite having two belts now will still have Jones looming over him, no matter the doping at the time).

• Options
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    How is McGregor fighting so soon after the bus thing

Have they admitted it was a staged thing or is the ufc just like

We don’t care, you make us money 🤷‍♀️

• Options
    because khabib

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    They've been using it as part of the media for the fight so they definitely don't give any fucks about it.

• Options
    I think Conor might be able to connect with his left before Khabib can get that leg

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Shit, that Lentz vs Maynard fight had all the things I don't like about MMA. Eye poke and a late stoppage.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options