As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]Break a leg!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    UFC knowingly endangered everyone at 249

image0.png?width=335&height=406

image0.png?width=675&height=369

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    also dfw is still trying make fight island a thing

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    also dfw is still trying make fight island a thing

That's probably the one thing Dana White is trying to do that I actually do approve of.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I mean why the talk of Fight Island when Chael has a perfectly serviceable grain silo sitting right here

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    He was never the same after the first loss to Jones.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    what's attempted sexual assault? isn't the attempt still sexual assault

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly, I'd be more surprised by an MMA fighter who wasn't a total goose.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

There are plenty of standup people in MMA

the ratio is not good, relatively, but there are definitely pretty good people

• Options
    edited September 2020

There are plenty of standup people in MMA

the ratio is not good, relatively, but there are definitely pretty good people

There are a few things that seem to play together to make the ratio not so great.

The kind of rough upbringing that some had that produces someone that can take to fighting so well leaves personal issues that can be hard to escape. Mike Tyson was dominant in boxing at his peak but also had been in jail multiple times before he was in high school and it showed in his actions and behavior for a long time.

People who make a living fighting tend to live more on the fringes of society. They often just don't fit in with mainstream society and end up in the company that espouses conspiracy theories, flat earth, etc.

And very few fighters have the right kind of charisma to be a face for their professional personality. It's far easier to be a heel and while most don't carry it outside of press conferences I imagine some have ended up faking it until they made it real.

Still, this mostly results in espousing fringe beliefs more than being criminals. It's only a few I hear about doing the kinds of things Jon Jones, BJ Penn, or Conor McGregor do.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Fantastic knockout but why would you catch someone's leg and then hold it there for 17 seconds with enough leverage that they can literally do a spinning back kick off of your hand.

• Options
    Fantastic knockout but why would you catch someone's leg and then hold it there for 17 seconds with enough leverage that they can literally do a spinning back kick off of your hand.

A lot of things look done half-right in that exchange.

The arm positioning on the catch was awkward but taking a little longer to toss it so you're on the outside and further from your opponent's centerline is pretty normal. But you also ideally use some of that time to make more space and have the hips back a bit and before going in for your counter. You also are supposed to make sure the leg is moving to the side and down before closing in though I'm not sure that bit would have helped in this case as that's more something to protect from a roundhouse or punch from the other side.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

he actually held it for less than a second

like i know the internet exists solely to shit on people but i feel like we can probably cut some slack for a guy who got surprised by a crazy unexpected kick in the final round of a fight

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I haven't heard a kick impact like that since peak Pride Cro Cop's left leg launching someone's head into low Earth orbit.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    wow khabib is done 29-0
    gsp is sitting at home relieved he didn't get called out there

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Man, did not see that coming (the retirement).

Maybe whatever stopped his mother from wanting to fight will change in the future, but if not I'm 100% that's the last we'll see of Khabib in the Octogon.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I never blame any fighter for retiring at any point in their careers, especially early on. Why would you subject yourself to that kind of risk when you can just open up a school and make good, consistent money that way for the rest of your life?

• Options
    i like that conor was one of the first people to congratulate khabib on retirement, he doesn't have to be scared anymore

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I never blame any fighter for retiring at any point in their careers, especially early on. Why would you subject yourself to that kind of risk when you can just open up a school and make good, consistent money that way for the rest of your life?

100% agree, but I think the sort of person that becomes a top flight fighter has a different sort of drive to most of us. That's why it's so rare that you see stars retire at the top of their game. In fact, most fighters will carry on well past their best. Thus taking the long term damage that you'd think would be a no brainer (pun unintended) to avoid...

For Khabib, his family is clearly everything to him. Which is why he's respecting his mother's wishes and not carrying on competing.

Hopefully we can see him in some submission matches or something in the future.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

100% agree, but I think the sort of person that becomes a top flight fighter has a different sort of drive to most of us. That's why it's so rare that you see stars retire at the top of their game. In fact, most fighters will carry on well past their best. Thus taking the long term damage that you'd think would be a no brainer (pun unintended) to avoid...

For Khabib, his family is clearly everything to him. Which is why he's respecting his mother's wishes and not carrying on competing.

Hopefully we can see him in some submission matches or something in the future.

I mean it's also clearly hard for him to be fighting without his dad as well. He made it clear he wasn't really OK with it either. His mom's request was just the confirmation he really need on top of that.

His main coach and his father. The man who has been there with him for everything from the start for his entire amazing career.

Like yea... it would be really hard to keep fighting without him in his corner.

• Options
    michael chandler as underdog seems kinda silly
    we'll see if theres anything left of old conor in there though even if he wins i doubt khabib is coming back out despite what dfw says

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    lol this guy's nickname is dirty sanchez

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    oh shhhiii chandlerrrr

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    oh shiiiiiii porierrrrr1!!!

hoolllly shiiiiii
    khabib staying retired now
    conor is over, go home

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Conor still made an estimated 20mil of that loss and secured a rubber match in the future.

He still won in the end.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    i think charles olivera makes sense for michael chandler next and then have poirier fight gaethje for the new title
    conor can go fight the paul brothers or something

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Conor still made an estimated 20mil of that loss and secured a rubber match in the future.

He still won in the end.

He drew a lot of eyeballs to the event so he did his job from the perspective of the sport as a whole. That's not a small thing from a meta perspective.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »

He still won in the end.

He drew a lot of eyeballs to the event so he did his job from the perspective of the sport as a whole. That's not a small thing from a meta perspective.
    Dana said at the presser that this was the 2nd or 3rd best-selling PPV in the history of the sport.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Conor is a terrible person, but he fights well and people like to watch him. However at some point he’s going to kill someone, possibly himself.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Had a girl from my Muay Thai class over for most of the fights.

O'Malley vs Moutinho made both of our heads hurt. It did lead to one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time though:

Her: His mom can't even watch the fight anymore.
    Me: He's now got a face only a mother could love.
    Her: Well it's going to be a lot harder now!

McGregor vs. Poirier: Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow . . .

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Somewhere someone said "go out there and break a leg" and they feel really bad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I did not expect the finishing blow to be landed by the earth and gravity.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    tai tuivasa is awesome though
    what a fun dude
    knocking greg hardy the fuck out was just icing on the cake

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    tai tuivasa is awesome though
    what a fun dude
    knocking greg hardy the fuck out was just icing on the cake

I'm normally not a huge fan of heavyweight fights but that fight had one of the fastest reversals in fortune I've ever seen. I did not register what happened until the replay.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I don't follow MMA much anymore but I'm always happy to see McGregor get fucking ruined.

Dustin seems like a good dude.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Steel Angel on

Steam Profile