As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Norcal Regionals this weekend, Alex on the 30th! Let's [Fighting Games]

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Pokken is preeeetty good

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    SFV commentators should have a swear jar that they have to put a quarter in everytime they say shimmy

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I'd rather they just say shimmy than dance around it like the commentators at final round were

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Why wouldn't people just say shimmy? Why dance around it?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Why wouldn't people just say shimmy? Why dance around it?

Well. Some folks are afraid that it'll become stale. Which I get but eh as long as you don't overuse it.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    got knocked down to rookie

I guess I'm terrible and should not play this game

Xehalus on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    So apparently there is a SFV local in Chicago with a 1500 pot bonus coming up.

Gonna go with my brother. Not sure how well I'll do but I really been wanting some offline practice before Combo Breaker.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Gonna go with my brother. Not sure how well I'll do but I really been wanting some offline practice before Combo Breaker.

Where and when is this

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    ggs @chamberlain

time to do drugs and sleep

you have a knack for finding those good angles that just totally bone my aa

ggs

I am quite pleased that I took one game off of your Bison.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Farangu wrote: »

Where and when is this

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/chicago-video-game-tournament-fight-blood-clots-w-street-fighter-v-tickets-20401403146

Tempting. Very tempting.

Edit: PC only for the setups? Not so sure about that.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

all ya gotta do is

rise up. what character are you playing?

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular

Everyone starts somewhere man

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

easier to not focus on wins at first

instead try to just focus on landing anti-airs and punish combos consistently

which character are you playing?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah try to focus on just one thing, when I'm learning a new game or character sometimes I like to go in and play matches where I refuse to let myself use specials, just focus on normals.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular

Where and when is this

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/chicago-video-game-tournament-fight-blood-clots-w-street-fighter-v-tickets-20401403146

Tempting. Very tempting.

Gaah that's the weekend I'm stuck pet sitting crotchety old animals

Rabble rabble

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Combos are like number 1792737. You can beat a lottttt of people just knowing what button beats what. Knowledge is power.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

Where and when is this

Tempting. Very tempting.

PC is definitely the best platform for SFV, especially now that PS4 sticks play nice

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    bleeding points on ranked, i feel i've regressed somehow but i dont know what. i guess i just dont expect people to wakeup DP every single time after watching professionals play

You and me brother.

Street Fighter is a fucking weird game. Like, Psychologically speaking. I'm Super Bronze. I don't NEED to be super Bronze. If I literally just played Ken, I'd be Gold. Because Ken is the best at getting the most out of bad decisions your opponent makes, while giving them ample opportunity to make those decisions with great blockstrings.

I was born and raised on 3D fighters, and the lessons, in ALL OF THEM, were " Do something downright stupid? Have no idea what you're doing? GET BLOWN UP. EASILY". Like from Tekken to VF to Soul Calibur to even fuckin Dead or Alive. That's been a constant.

Hell, even in Guilty Gear Xrd, that's a thing! KoF too!

Street Fighter is the only game where " JAM THIS BUTTON IN NEUTRAL OR DURING BLOCKING OR WAKEUP OR REALLY WHENEVER. Sure you might get baited and punished but if it hit's you get GIGANTIC COUNTERHIT DAMAGE, SHIT TONS OF DIZZY, AND A HARD KNOCKDOWN, SO YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN!"

Mashing buttons at random times shouldn't work.

I guess that's a side effect of there being so many good buttons in Street Fights.

• Options
    Hey @Euphemon were you CAing my ground pounds on reaction or was it getting obvious when I was going to do it and you predicted?

• Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    Combos are like number 1792737. You can beat a lottttt of people just knowing what button beats what. Knowledge is power.

This times a billion. More important than big damage is consistent damage. Hell, even just knowing what normal buttons are good anti-airs will take you far in the lower levels. Beginners love to jump.

When you're fighting lots of Rookies and Bronzes, you're basically looking at one of three types of players. Either they press buttons a TON, press NO buttons, or they actually know what they're doing. That first group is best just waited out like a storm. Eventually, they're gonna throw out a special move, and that's when you punish. The second group, you just grab. If they love to down back everything, just grab the sucker, over and over.

That third group is where you play actual Street Fighter, and, uh, good luck with them. Footsies, zoning, somethingsomething parry, et cetera.

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    i still do cr.mp -> st.lk -> HP/EX srk on all of my combos for ken pretty much

is it optimal? absolutely not

does it teach me to punish reliably and not leave damage/pressure on the board? absolutely yes

Justin Wong taught me very early that what's important is that you have a gameplan and that your combos fit your mental ability to execute and adjust that gameplan in a match. he's the master of keeping it simple because he frees his head up for other aspects of the match.

it's a great approach! i recommend it to anyone who is struggling early

actually, gameplan construction in general is probably the most important factor that distinguishes a top player from anyone else. it's very hard to master strategy in FGs, and for most of us (myself included), even when we think we have a gameplan nailed down, we really don't and need to work on it a lot more!

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    anyone for pokken or sf5?

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    The ps4 is on, I could sfv for a bit

• Options
    Choi's late entry solution is glorious and beautiful. You can register last minute, but anyone who does goes into one single Pool Of Death with the other late entries

So for the Deathpool has Champ, Poongko, Mago and KBrad in it hahaha

• Options
    LOL holy shit.

• Options
    I know for a fact rashids spinning thingy is -2 or worse

So why am I getting thrown and counterhit for checking after it with st.jab

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular

-2 if no mashing.

Worse if you mash.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    I know, that's what I just said!

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

i think i've read it can be more advantaged depending on spacing
    (also online, potentially)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    If its close enough to hit multiple times, getting extra advantage off later active frames should be impossible I thought.

Maybe not, or maybe I'm just slow on the draw

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    If its close enough to hit multiple times, getting extra advantage off later active frames should be impossible I thought.

Maybe not, or maybe I'm just slow on the draw
    it may just be as simple as they are mashing harder, or it has deceptively few recovery frames (like vega's roll, which is -7 or 9 or something but felt unpunishable at first glance because it had weird blockstun)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    i call rollback shenanigans. hopefully the patch next week helps

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

Where and when is this

Tempting. Very tempting.

PC is definitely the best platform for SFV, especially now that PS4 sticks play nice

WNF gets by well enough with the SF5 PC, especially compared to 4 where they had to restart the game everytime they changed sticks.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    So I didn't get to watch any of FR live, but the top eight of Marvel got posted on Spooky's youtube and there's no KBR. Was he not there or did he get knocked out early?

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Hellpockets is wearing the best terry bogard shirt ever made.

https://www.spreadshirt.com/bogard-brothers-A103596131

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    Been playing so much SFV that I was shocked when Vega picked up his claw in USF4.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    This ricky vs combofiend cvs2 on spooky stream is amazing.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I'm actually just so godlike that the frame data around my aura changes

• Options
    anyone wanna do some matches

This discussion has been closed.