As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    "Kiregan Freem talks too much."
    -- most of my Imps, after finishing a certain Tatooine heroic.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It's not an exaggeration to say that a big reason that I wanted to start playing SWTOR again was to keep building strongholds and to see what new decorations there were to add to my strongholds. Since I put so much work into them, I wished there was a way to advertise and say, "I worked hard on this, come look!" Today I realized that I could create a toon with an "advertisement" style name and then have all my strongholds owned by that character. So I created a toon named Luxury Stronghold and all my strongholds are "Luxury Stronghold's" now. If you're on Star Forge they'll be easy to find and look at if you're curious! They're all 100% public with the exception of the Umbra stronghold which there's no way to make public.

I even went so far as to role a toon named Luxury Stronghold on every server, not because I necessarily plan to build strongholds there (though who knows, maybe someday) but because I don't want anyone else rolling the name and trying to steal my glory, ha ha.

Edit: Then I remembered that I previously rolled a character named Home Despot because I thought the name was funny, and now I can't help but think that's an even better 'advertisement' name for my strongholds. I haven't switched it over, though. I'm going to see how I feel about Luxury Stronghold for a bit.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    That's cool as shit. What are your tips for starting out?

I haven't started any strongholds yet, but I want to RP them. I don't think my Knight would be interested in a big home—all that duty-bound, evil never rests stuff—but my Smuggler would absolutely build a mansion on Nar Shadaa. My Sith Warrior? The family has a luxury apartment in Kaas City.

I wish they would let you customize your starship like a mini-stronghold. That would fit my Knight and my Trooper a lot better. Also, I'd like an Alderaan stronghold.

Mancingtom on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    That's cool as shit. What are your tips for starting out?

Get the cheap basic decos first. I was going to say the 100-credit items from Felusia Stato but I just checked her and her prices went up. The jackals! But beyond her, there are the vendors that trade crafted items for decos - Universal Fabricator Droid, Synthetic Fabricator droid, etc. You can find them in the stronghold section of the fleet, and you can also make a version of them to put in your stronghold (all of my strongholds have these droids for my convenience)

Another tip: If you do the solo versions of flashpoints, you get any decos that drop for yourself and don't have to roll on them. Nathema, Copero, and Umbara are great for deco drops. It can get boring, though, so don't overdo it. Since flashpoints are "in" these days because of gearing it's easy to get a group, of course, but those three are hard to do unless you have a skilled and geared group, so I don't recommend pugging them.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to decorate the strong hold as a personal home to your toon. My Manaan stronghold was decorated to look like a Jedi Academy, and I think I did a pretty good job there.

Having people inside your stronghold can really help the look (especially if you're not just making a "home" but rather something for a group like my Academy above). Unfortunately you can't get very many personnel from just vendors, the best personnel are bought from the cartel market. For the Coruscant apartment however - which is my personal favorite stronghold - the people inside are my Jedi Knight companions. Doc is in the doctor's office I created for him, Kira and T7 are in the library I made, and Scourge is in the bedroom looking out the window pensively. (Rusk isn't allowed there).

The Martial fabricator droid makes walls of different types, that require a ground hook to put on, but they take almost any size of hook. I didn't understand what I could use these for until I made my manaan Jedi Academy - in that case I used them to "replace" the existing walls so that my Stronghold appears to be mostly made of stone instead of the more modern materials of Manaan. Because some of them are so huge, you could potentially use them to create new rooms in your stronghold as needed.

Do conquest every week, because those drop decos, too. That is, just by completing individual conquest you get the decos, your guild doesn't have to get the full points for conquest to get those. The decos from Conquest are all craft utility decos, which means that when you put them in a stronghold, you can click on them and get the mat that they represent. I never use them for mat gathering, though - I use the crystal-shaped ones as decoration in my strongholds. The blue and green crystals look very good in my jedi academy, and there are a lot of different kinds with the same colors, so you get both variety and conformity all in one.

If you don't already have your reputation maxed with everyone you can get reputation with, work on that. The reputation vendors have a lot of decos on them. Ossus has a ton of jedi-style stone work that was fantastic for both my academy and my Yavin temple (which I haven't quite figured out what it's "for" yet, so I'm still working on it). Ossus also has these crystal containers that I really like and drop frequently just by doing missions there, as well as a few other things like wall torches. Onderon has a bunch of tree varieties, and plants are always a great addition, especially when you try to build gardens everywhere as I like to do. There's an old Manaan vendor that has some of the best potted plants (these lovely little ferns - but they require a special token to buy from that vendor, or at least they did last I checked, might have changed since 6.0).

A lot of the best decos you can only get by doing stuff - operations, flashpoints, starfigher (there's a vendor). Even just killing things on a planet will drop things like datacron decorations.
    I haven't started any strongholds yet, but I want to RP them. I don't think my Knight would be interested in a big home—all that duty-bound, evil never rests stuff—but my Smuggler would absolutely build a mansion on Nar Shadaa. My Sith Warrior? The family has a luxury apartment in Kaas City.

I wish they would let you customize your starship like a mini-stronghold. That would fit my Knight and my Trooper a lot better. Also, I'd like an Alderaan stronghold.

I can't wait to see what you create!

Edit: This is what my Jedi Academy looked like back in May. I've made a lot of changes since then, the biggest one being replacing the datacrons with crystal utility nodes which I think looks way cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNGdsh12KP4

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    The Jedi Academy looks super cool!

• Options
    edited November 2019
    It really bums me out that they raised the prices on the Felusa Stato vendor. There are a lot of items I bought 999 of that help when you need to fill a place out (Rishi, for example, requires THOUSANDS of hooks to be filled before you get 100%). So in early days I bought 999 junker lights, 999 basic chairs, 999 basic benches, etc, because they were being sold in the range of 50 credits to 250 credits, so it was worth it. Mostly I did that to get higher prestige (Unlocking decorations gives you prestige, 100 for the first of that type that you unlock, 2 each for the rest. the higher your prestige, the higher you appear in public listings. Still working on getting my prestige up so I can appear first), but some items turned out to be hugely useful - specifically the junker lights. I ended up using all 999 of them, or at least I got to using 900+, I don't remember if I used the last 20 or so. Mostly I used them on Rishi to help me fill it out, and it turns out they look kind of cool if you put them together in a pattern and whatnot. More lighting decos is another thing this game could use.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Just finished Nar Shadaa and the Kira reveal. I wish they had kept the romance from starting until after she’s Knighted. For one thing, it would take away the power imbalance issues. For another, any first kiss should be a Big Fucking Deal.

Placing it after her past is revealed and you stand by her in front of the whole Jedi Council is good. Placing it after she psychically bitch-slaps the Emperor and helps save the entire Jedi Order is better.

I mean, I’m going to hold off on the conversation until that point, but someone going in blind wouldn’t know to do that.

• Options
    On my Guardian knight, there's this tactical called Cut to Pieces that lowers the cooldown on Vigilant Thrust (the most important AOE for a dps guardian, it's what spreads your dots) every time your burns crit. Add to that that alacrity is no longer emphasized in builds (you need 1213 alacrity, the rest goes in to critical once you get your accuracy to 110%), and my Guardian is a MONSTER. Also one of my set bonuses gives me two charges of leap instead of one, which is nice to have and makes it harder for enemies to keep me at range all the time.

Infinite smash: A Jedi Guardian story.

• Options
    That reminds me of Vanguards in ME3, when you could get cooldowns so low that Charge recharged before the animation finished.

The game became less tactical cover-based shooter and more "series of explosions vaguely aimed at the enemy."

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    On my Guardian knight, there's this tactical called Cut to Pieces that lowers the cooldown on Vigilant Thrust (the most important AOE for a dps guardian, it's what spreads your dots) every time your burns crit. Add to that that alacrity is no longer emphasized in builds (you need 1213 alacrity, the rest goes in to critical once you get your accuracy to 110%), and my Guardian is a MONSTER. Also one of my set bonuses gives me two charges of leap instead of one, which is nice to have and makes it harder for enemies to keep me at range all the time.

I was thinking of getting Hemophiliac Slash so that I can refresh my DOT's with slash.

Do you think it's worth it?

• Options
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

I was thinking of getting Hemophiliac Slash so that I can refresh my DOT's with slash.

Do you think it's worth it?

I'm not sure it actually works right now? I used it for a while and never saw my dots refreshed.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Y'all picking and choosing your tactics with forethought and purpose. For my Combat Sentinel I took the one that gives me 50% of the effect of Precision, permanently, so I could take it out of my action bars. I mean yes I could keep it and get even more DPS while keeping my reflexes attuned to the "correct" rotation for if I ever pick a different tactic...but I'm lazy and it's good enough for grinding heroics to get credits for Pretty Princess Dressup.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Pretty Princess Dressup is the only reason to play MMOs.

Everything else is just an excuse to see the Space Barbie in action.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I mean, there's lore, but any game that goes on long enough fucks up the lore beyond repair anyway. I loved Legion, even with Illidan taking the place of Thrall as the obvious creators' pet, and then BFA beefed WoW for me so bad I might never go back, even for Magic Barbie.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    A post on Reddit gave me half of the solution I needed to finally bring my Smuggler and Bounty Hunter up to the present in the story. (The other half was the ability, with Inflection Point, to skip right over/past the entire Knights of the Foo Bar arc(s).)

The tl;dr is that, in my headcanon, their version(s) of the not-so-Eternal Alliance aren't what's shown in the official storyline, and never fought Arcann or Vaylin directly. Instead, "Alliance Transport"* and "ABC Security Solutions"** are a smuggling ring transport and mercenary company respectively, which provided a haven for many formerly independent operators and services and support to both Republic and Empire during the war. Most of the actual heavy lifting and thrilling heroics were done by someone else entirely - possibly my Knight or Trooper or Agent, or maybe the generic male Jedi Outlander who's in all the trailers. Now that war's over, and both sides are picking up where they left off when Zakuul invaded...

* They'll get along great with Veek's bunch on Mek-Sha.
    ** "Aurek Besh Cresh" - Antilles***, Braden, Cadera. The headliner, mentor, and protege; also conveniently near the front of most directory listings. Marketing along the lines of "it's as simple as ABC."
    *** yes, the Antilles Legacy. I couldn't resist.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Yeah, that's basically my headcanon as well. While I've certainly fanwanked out reasons why the hunter or smuggler could be the Outlander/Commander, in my head, the Jedi Knight is, and all the other main characters aren't missing, they eventually drifted into the Alliance too, where their competence makes them key personnel (so you don't have the big cheese going out for every mission and, coincidentally--or not, the Force/and or ex-SIS agents work in mysterious ways--you have the characters meeting their former companions, for the most part).

• Options
    That's another angle that could work, yes.

"I was told to expect the Alliance Commander."
    "Yeah, well, the Commander's a busy man/woman, so they sent me instead. Trust me, whatever it is, I can handle it."

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I just look it as a daydream.

"And then I punched that crazy powerful evil force user in the FACE a bunch of times until I won. The lightning stung a little but whatever."

• Options
    "Just another typical day for the leader of the Howling Teapot Gang."

• Options
    I was playing around with lightsaber colors last night and came up with some headcanon for my Knight.
    So, I usually try to avoid using the traditional blue/red/green colors because that’s what everyone uses in the movies, but something changed my mind.

I decided to try out the Overseer’s Blade lightsaber, which has the same model as Orgus Din’s.

So I thought, what if my Knight used Orgus’ lightsaber after Chapter 1?

Darth Angral kills Orgus, spaces the body but keeps the blade as a trophy. The duel with the Knight ends similar to Obi-Wan and Maul on Naboo, and the Knight uses it to kill Angral.

The direct connection to Orgus is what allows him to appear to the Knight later on.

I dig it because Orgus matters throughout the Knight’s story and the idea of passing down a special sword is very high fantasy in a way that fits Star Wars generally and the Knight’s story in particular.

Related headcanon:
    Orgus took the Knight as a Padawan when they were 16, and is with them for 5 years before Bengal Morr and the Flesh Raiders.

It always felt odd that the story puts so much weight on Orgus, but he’s only your mentor for, like, a week. Better if the relationship is deeper. It would’ve also been a good contrast to the Sith storylines, where your apprenticeship is nothing but a matter of prestige and political gamesmanship.

• Options
    I know I should be happy the game is getting an infusion of new players because of The Mandalorian, but my play yesterday seemed to be made up entirely of interacting with people who hadn't played the game in years and who (much worse) refused to listen to basic, politely-given instructions on what not to do.

Although the last group I interacted with had me healing and a solid tank, so we still made it through every boss even with the DPS dying at predictable moments. They finally started listening on the last boss at least and we got through it with no deaths.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    All right, enough of this bullshit, we've danced around it for almost four weeks. Let's talk about the real selling point, the bleeding edge technological development, the entire.

core.

reason.

for Onslaught even existing.

Functional ladders.

3ADrzXr.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlu1ZfYr6vA&feature=youtu.be&t=132

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Crafting changes coming in December
    EricMusco wrote:
    Hey all,

We have been reading your feedback since Onslaught launched (and of course from PTS beforehand) on your feelings on the current state of crafting. We agree with your feedback that it isn’t where we want it to be either. There are quite a few changes planned for 6.0.2 in December and we want to give you a preview of those changes today. As 6.0.2 will not have its own PTS, please use this thread to share your feedback on the changes.
    • The materials required for “material combination” schematics was too high. We are making the following changes:
      • Premium and Prototype material requirements have been reduced to 6 each (down from 10).
      • Artifact material requirements have been reduced to 12 each (down from 15).
      • The requirements to convert Premium combination materials to Prototype has been reduced to 2 (down from 3).
    • Although we want to incentivize harvesting over missions for gathering skills, mission inflow was a little too low:
      • Increase overall inflow of Premium quality materials from Missions.
      • Increase material rewards from Wealthy Yield Missions.
      • Reduce the overall failure rate of “grey” quality Missions.
    • Getting crafting schematics when deconstructing gear was too hard with too low of a chance:
      • Broadly increased the chance to earn crafting schematics from deconstructing.
      • Sort of related, we are making a pass to ensure that deconstruction is giving the correct professions materials. Raise any specifics you have where this isn’t the case.
    • Too high of a requirement for Matrixes when crafting:
      • The Matrix material requirement has been removed from all schematics below Artifact quality.
      • We are looking closely at data around inflow of Legendary Ember requirements. We may increase requirements here but this is still being investigated.
    • The materials that you are earning are not coming in at the correct ratio of Premium : Prototype : Artifact to correlate with expenditure:
      • Rebalancing material inflow to match a 7:2:1 ratio that many of you have raised.
    These are all currently planned changes for 6.0.2 so please let us know your thoughts. As always, we will continue to monitor crafting data and your feedback post-6.0.2 and make further changes as needed! Thanks everyone.

-eric

• Options
    Oh thank God. Crafting is insane right now.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Found out yesterday that flashpoints now have a story/solo mode which is nice. Really slow going, though. I'm used to FFXIV's dungeons where doing them solo still only takes about 35 minutes. Ilum took me about an hour.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Found out yesterday that flashpoints now have a story/solo mode which is nice. Really slow going, though. I'm used to FFXIV's dungeons where doing them solo still only takes about 35 minutes. Ilum took me about an hour.

Not every flashpoint is that long. Battle of Ilum, despite being only a flashpoint, is storyline-wise the equivalent of the first half of the finale of vanilla's entire storyline.

Also I think not every flashpoint has a solo mode; basically the ones that aren't story-critical. (For example, Colicoid War Games probably wouldn't work at all as a solo experience. I tried it back in the days before level-matching and while I could get the first couple of fights to work, the mechanics after that require two or more players.)

Shadowen on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Is it just me or are flashpoints way harder now than before v 6?

Also, some flashpoints just don't show up on the group finder (e.g., colicoid war games), and never have. What's up with that?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Colicoid definitely does show up on the group finder, its just that it shows up when your character is at a much lower level, like around 30 - 40?

The flashpoints don't feel any harder to me, but I'm already in 306 gear. I also main Guardian which as I've noted before has gotten a significant boost. There are probably classes that have been nerfed that are feeling the pain. Healing, for example, does feel a bit harder for me, even in 306 gear.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm in 273. Maybe that's it.

And I didn't start doing flashpoints until I hit max level (back when that was 60 or 65). Bit odd that some FPs "rotate out" with higher levels. Level adjust it, BW!

• Options
    Is getting the HK bonus chapter worth it? It's really fucking expensive.

Also, is there a way to get my old augments out of my old gear without buying an augment slot? They had an augment slot until the patch…

• Options
    I recently started the imp side version of the new content. I've just been sent an story-related email inviting me to sit virtual shiva for the people I killed.

• Options
    Murder and mayhem await.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I've just completed (maybe) my latest project, which was re-making my Trooper (my first main) so that I could play through her class story again, and get all the screenshots (and occasional video) that I didn't think to take back in 2013. I'd originally planned to simply delete the character when I was done, but I've since decided to not waste that time and effort and instead transfer them to another server, where I keep alt-versions of a couple of other characters.* I'm waiting for anticipated holiday sale(s) on cartel stuff, including transfer and/or rename fees; but I'm also trying to decide how much further, if at all, to push her while I'm still on this server with access to all my other alts for crafting. Probably not into KotFE, but that still leaves Ilum (maybe), Oricon (definitely not), Makeb (maybe), and Shadow of Revan (good, but so long)...

Tempting to put all that aside, do it later or never, and focus on other things I want to do: (finally) putting my Consular through KotFE and ET, and my last couple of alts through Ossus and Onslaught, and my alt-Knight (see below).

* A copy of my Agent (who I made after I accidentally locked myself out of being able to kill Kaliyo, which I really wanted to, again with screenshots and video :) ) and one of my Knight (who I actually made after the Trooper - that helped give me the idea - because I was frustrated that I missed my shot at getting a legacy-bound, hood-down version of the Knight starter gear for KotFE and the only way to obtain it now is grind Alliance crates and hope for pity from the RNG, or simply make a new character with my one free Boost Token as a photo double).

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Oh mannnnnnn I didn't notice it until today, but the latest patch changed one of my set bonuses. I have the 4-set for Nimble Master, which used to give two charges of leap, which was rad. They changed that to a thing where activating Saber Ward gives you 100% speed for the duration of Saber Ward. I hate that set bonus, I'll have to pick a new one. What a waste of tech fragments!

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So the mandalorian and jedi :fallen order got me in a star wars mood. I haven't played this since launch, but I figured that since it's f2p it costs me nothing to download it and mess around.

Boy uh I know general chat in mmos is typically terrible, but this is something else. Almost every time I log on, on almost every planet I go to is just a ton of really regressive and sexist shit getting thrown at anything made since Disney bought the ip, but especially Kathleen Kennedy. You'd think she was hired specifically to destroy everything about Star Wars based off chat.

Well that and the one morning where somebody was trying to convince everyone about how immigration was being done to create the new world order and all the racist talking points that come with that.

I think I might just leave chat.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Game itself is fun though. I always loved the class story aspect of the game and leveling a new class to see its story is still great. No idea if the endgame is any better than it used to be, but I have a long ways to go before I would even need to worry about that if I stick with the game.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    H0b0man wrote: »
    So the mandalorian and jedi :fallen order got me in a star wars mood. I haven't played this since launch, but I figured that since it's f2p it costs me nothing to download it and mess around.

Boy uh I know general chat in mmos is typically terrible, but this is something else. Almost every time I log on, on almost every planet I go to is just a ton of really regressive and sexist shit getting thrown at anything made since Disney bought the ip, but especially Kathleen Kennedy. You'd think she was hired specifically to destroy everything about Star Wars based off chat.

Well that and the one morning where somebody was trying to convince everyone about how immigration was being done to create the new world order and all the racist talking points that come with that.

I think I might just leave chat.

Yeah I've been keeping general chat in a separate tab called "stupids" for years now. The only reason I don't remove it completely is because sometimes I need to call for people to join an op in general chat, especially planet-side.

/cjoin Allies if you are looking for a bit more normal groupfinding chat. Still not entirely free of shitheads, but much less toxic than general chat.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    In my replay of my Trooper's story, I've returned to Rishi.
    Man, I lived here for a good... two months? And then, when I was done with all my alts, they packed up and moved to Yavin.

• Options
    By means of a LOT of grinding, I got all, or at least most, of Commander Shepard's companions in my version of Havoc Squad gear - the Remnant Dreadguard Trooper gear. When I say a lot of grinding, I do mean a lot. The only way to get that gear is from the military loot boxes that Bey'wan Aygo gives you. The gear you get out of one of those loot boxes could be any random Trooper or Warior armor, and it's only a single piece of armor, not the whole set. Anyway, here's a screenshot I just got from replaying one of the old chapters where the Alliance is first formed. I thought it made a very nice symmetrical picture:

otCDJJ4.png

Each of the colors is intentional, though I never expected the game to display them like this for me. The only person who gets purple is Commander Shepard. Blue goes for my right and left hands, Theron and Lana. Most everyone else in my crew gets the generic black and white like Koth and Senya here. Previous members of Havoc squad (Jorgan, Dorne, etc.) get a version that is white and light gray.

• Options
    ALLIANCE RANGERS ASSEMBLE!
    (and roll out!)