As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, that’s often better than the equivalent on the GTN

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, while those prices are high, it's probably a better value then the multi-million credit prices on the auction house. Especially considering you need to have an active subscription to even pay that many credits. And most of those giant cartel coin prices look like they are for full sets.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I snagged a Senya lightsaber for 40 mil. Another 40 mil for the Dark Honorguard Curved Vibrostaff. I call that a good price.

Basically, it's time (credits, via grinding or whatever) or money (dollars). Take your pick. And with this sale going on, prices on many items are much lower since the whales are out buying the sets to convert into credits and have to compete with each other.

It's a good time to buy sets to look good!

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Woah. I got to the end of Chapter 1 of the Jedi Knight story.
    I was expecting the Emperor to be able to do some shit like that to Kira, but I wasn't expecting him to be so unexpectedly like... actually terrifying. Most of the Sith in the JK story thus far had been saturday morning cartoon villains: goofy at best, stupid at worst. Perhaps ESPECIALLY Angral, who isn't even tragic, he's just dumb and annoying. The whole story also suffers from the usual Expanded Universe plague of "Oh. Yet another planet killer weapon. Great. Wonderful."

... but then the Emperor possesses Kira and it's like oh. Oh, fuck. You... are not mustache-twirly actually. You're just cold and all business. Also, your voice is terrifying. Like, it's a pretty great moment of Shit Has Become Real.

Unfortunately, I doubt they'll be able to keep it up.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Woah. I got to the end of Chapter 1 of the Jedi Knight story.
    I was expecting the Emperor to be able to do some shit like that to Kira, but I wasn't expecting him to be so unexpectedly like... actually terrifying. Most of the Sith in the JK story thus far had been saturday morning cartoon villains: goofy at best, stupid at worst. Perhaps ESPECIALLY Angral, who isn't even tragic, he's just dumb and annoying. The whole story also suffers from the usual Expanded Universe plague of "Oh. Yet another planet killer weapon. Great. Wonderful."

... but then the Emperor possesses Kira and it's like oh. Oh, fuck. You... are not mustache-twirly actually. You're just cold and all business. Also, your voice is terrifying. Like, it's a pretty great moment of Shit Has Become Real.

Unfortunately, I doubt they'll be able to keep it up.

:twisted:

• Options
    I have just met Doc, and I hate him.
    Doc: HEY GORGEOUS
    Me: Don't fucking call me that.
    Doc: SURE BEAUTIFUL :V
    Me: /quietly facepalms
    Doc: I HOPE YOU AREN'T LIKE, ONE OF THOSE JUNIOR JEDI, OR WHATEVER
    T7 (an actual, verbatim quote): Jedi = Almost Master // You = idiot

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

So say we all.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

So say we all.

Honestly, if they had based the Doc off of Doc Cottle from BSG, I would have liked him more.

• Options
    Motherfucker ACTUALLY said something rude to T7. "hurduur does your droid always uselessly state the obvious or is it just programmed that way V: "

I'm going to airlock him as soon as I get the chance.

Like, who wrote this guy? It feels like they were trying for "sleezeball with a heart of gold" but it actually turns out to be "sleezeball who meets the bare minimum requirements for being a normal, non-sociopath human, because he's not willing to let random Imperial ground troops die." That's not a heart of gold, that's like... that's like dudes who bitch about how women won't date them because they're sooooooo nice. "I won't commit war crimes, so I don't see why she's not like, totally into me man!"

• Options
    Oh no...

You don't mess with Lucid_Seraph's droid.

You just don't.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Oh no...

You don't mess with Lucid_Seraph's droid.

You just don't.

"And then he ran into my lightsaber! He ran into my lightsaber TEN TIMES!"

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Dude also tried to grope my lady Jedi under the guise of "medical examination by a trained professional".

On the list of creepy SWTOR companions, though, that's really not that bad by comparison.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    By vanilla TOR standards Doc was almost charming.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    By vanilla TOR standards Doc was almost charming.

And that is such a damning statement.

• Options
    FormalhouteFormalhoute Registered User regular
    are there any active/semi active PA guilds on star forge that have space? just getting into this game and looking for good people to play with.

• Options
    Finished Part 2 of the Jedi Knight story.

Me: I have a bad feeling about this.
    Everyone: DO THE THING
    That one guy who I saved from the Dark Side: DO NOT DO THE THING
    Me: He's Right, I shouldn't do the thing
    Bioware Response Wheel: a. I'll do the thing, b. I guess I'll do the thing?, c. fuck u i'll do the thing!!!!!!
    Me: I HAVE. A BAD FEELING. YOU'RE ALL GONNA DIE.
    Companions: WHO SHALL YOU BRING ABOARD THE CERTAIN DOOOOOOOOOOM
    Me: .......................................................................................................
    Me: Kira, plz do not, I don't want to put you through that trauma again. T7, you're the only one I trust to run the ship ALSO I LOVE YOU (YOU KNOW). Doc... shut the fuck up. ... so I guess it's you, Rusk. You're, er, enthusiastic, and this will certainly track with your record of TPKs.

/The thing, predictably, happens, exactly as I suspected

[LATER]

T7: YOU SHOULD TRUST LORD SCOURGE
    Me: I immediately trust Lord Scourge with my life.
    Kira: DISAPPROVE
    Rusk: DISAPPROVE
    Doc: ????
    Scourge: Also Disapprove?

Me: THE DROID SAID YOU'RE GOOD, YOU'RE GOOD, NOW GET IN THE FUCKING BOAT

• Options
    are there any active/semi active PA guilds on star forge that have space? just getting into this game and looking for good people to play with.

There've been enough people asking that I'm wondering if we should band together? I'm in a pretty much dead guild myself, but I largely get on daily only for cartel listings, and play pretty much once a week on the weekends. Also I'm on PST, so YMMV.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind being a part of a new PA guild.

• Options
    FormalhouteFormalhoute Registered User regular
    i would be down for that, but i'm still new, my character is only level 15 so far and i'm not sure what would need to go into the proposition or what kind of info we'd need to provide to start something like that.

• Options
    The requirements for making a guild are trivial: I think the person making the guild needs to be a subscriber, there must be 4 people who agree to make the guild (group up), the name must not violate any of SWTOR's rules, and there might be some nominal cost in credits. It's what comes after that can be a pain: growing the guild, keeping activity up, group activities if desired, etc. etc.

If you want to do raiding, you'll want to try to get a large enough group together that can go at agreed on times, same for PVP, conquest requires population and investment, etc.

So depends on what's desired and how happy everyone is if there are only a few other people around at any given time. Otherwise if someone has an active guild with an open door policy, they can try to pack everyone in there.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I keep having issues when talking to my friends re: Balmora (Morrowind) vs. Balmorra (this game). So I was like, fuck it, let's just cross the streams.
    A9lwjCq.jpg

M'aiq theLiar was taken, you can't have more than one space in your name, and I figured adding more apostraphes is pretty Star Wars, right?

*edit* Also, as a character, the Scoundrel is more Razum Dar than M'aiq, but the name is better for general recognition, I think :P

Bonus:
    (Read the NPC chatter in the chat window)

Buddy, I'm *pretty* sure I know what those are. Just a hunch.

cB4EmBd.jpg

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Oh, you're playing a Cathar smuggler?
    Things will get really interesting later, when one of the companions the game forces on you is
    a Mandalorian - y'know, one of those people who wiped out 99.99% of your people?

Alas, because Cathar were added post launch and there was basically zero budget to go back and add new lines acknowledging minor details like this, it just gets glossed over. All that NPCs acknowledge (and that only sometimes) is that you're not a hoomin.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Things will get really interesting later, when one of the companions the game forces on you is
    a Mandalorian - y'know, one of those people who wiped out 99.99% of your people?

Alas, because Cathar were added post launch and there was basically zero budget to go back and add new lines acknowledging minor details like this, it just gets glossed over. All that NPCs acknowledge (and that only sometimes) is that you're not a hoomin.

The Miraluka have been in from the start and you constantly get people telling you to look at thing and such. One early Jedi Consular quest includes the line "we can't just blindly trust the Force".

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

The Miraluka have been in from the start and you constantly get people telling you to look at thing and such. One early Jedi Consular quest includes the line "we can't just blindly trust the Force".

43fab699d6ead2939283117b787ef49b.jpg

I'm also noticing it on my Mirialan, especially in contrast to how a Chiss Imp. Agent gets practically their own alternate storyline related to the fact that they're a Chiss on Hoth, and custom-prophecy crap on Voss related to the fact that they're specifically Chiss as opposed to something else. Other Chiss are often like hey man 'sup, humans right? and you can be like "yeah dude, these humans."

And meanwhile on my Mirialan it's like I'm basically just a kinda greenish human over here. Do they even have their own culture? I don't know, nobody ever mentions it and it never comes up when I talk to other Mirialans.

I almost made my Smuggler a Twilek, but then I couldn't get over the idea of making a Cathar named M'aiq the Liar and basically just being a Khajiit. Twilek will probably be my Trooper then.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Mirialans are imo the dumbest looking playable characters. Maybe until the cathar were released

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Meh, thanks to the server merger, I have to either delete 13 characters or buy 13 more slots to make a new one. That said, if anyone's looking for a place to band together Sith-side on that server, a Bounty Hunter of mine was left as Guildmaster of a guild I helped get started and seems to be pretty much dead now.

EDIT: Whew, managed to get the character list down under the limit. Now which character should I make with the one free spot?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Mirialans are imo the dumbest looking playable characters. Maybe until the cathar were released

Wait, did you mean Mirialans or Miraluka?

Mirialans: Basically green humans with tattoos

Miraluka: Blind humans with weird and often ugly blindfolds

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Mirialans. I don't know why, but the "we're humans, but green!" thing looks really bad to me. Maybe it's the specific colouring and tone, but something about the design hits every "this sucks" button for me. Miraluka look fine, I just wish they had some cooler takes on the eye shrouds because I didn't have a lot of options when I decided to make a blind gunslinger.

Cathar aren't horrible but as takes on the cat guy concept go, they're a little dull. I feel like TOR left a lot of money on the table generally with its race choices, aside from Twi'Lek and Togruta they're all a little plain.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Cathar, especially player Cathar look like someone went to a funfair and got tony the tiger facepaint to me. If they had an actual texture on their faces like wookies do, it'd be fine.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Cathar, especially player Cathar look like someone went to a funfair and got tony the tiger facepaint to me. If they had an actual texture on their faces like wookies do, it'd be fine.
    Tube wrote: »
    Cathar aren't horrible but as takes on the cat guy concept go, they're a little dull. I feel like TOR left a lot of money on the table generally with its race choices, aside from Twi'Lek and Togruta they're all a little plain.

Agreeeee. When other games have stuff like the modern Khajiit and the Charr, it's like... you made Thundercats? And not even very good Thundercats...?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    their main issue is just that they're trying to fit every race into the same basic skeleton, with a couple of bits of visual flair for such as twileks

like, an upright walking feline race could be pretty cool... but the ones in SWTOR are basically just humans with fuzzy faces.

miralans (and chiss too, really) are mostly just boring

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Yeah animations are always a limiting issue as evidenced by how many damn times commandos suppress the enemy with their cutscene pistol, since they wouldn't even make more than one set per class.

I'm still surprised they never added Bothans or MonCals as playable races for that reason. It's easy enough to have them use human skeletons (which they do, in the case of NPCs) and add some face stuff like on the Twi'leks and Togruta.

Who wouldn't love a MonCal in a dancer outfit? It was always a hilarious way to troll people in Star Wars: Galaxies.

• Options
    their main issue is just that they're trying to fit every race into the same basic skeleton, with a couple of bits of visual flair for such as twileks

like, an upright walking feline race could be pretty cool... but the ones in SWTOR are basically just humans with fuzzy faces.

miralans (and chiss too, really) are mostly just boring

At least the Chiss make up for how boring they look with rockin backstory and actual acknowledgement of Hey You Are a Chiss, Specifically, even if that's only on Hoth and mostly Empire stuff. Still! I got to be like "Yo, I'm only nominally with the Empire, I'm a double... er, I guess now triple agent for the Ascendancy" on Voss, and that nice man on Hoth was like "When you get back to the ascendancy, let's get married!"

Mirialans meanwhile get NOTHING. I am a green human with nice tats. Okayyyyy?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I don't care about Mirialans, but it would have been nice if Miraluka would have gotten acknowledgement in game. Though being able to see through the force would have needed to affect gameplay and story a lot, too much for Bioware to be willing to prepare for. Like you should have the race ability of being able to sense enemy locations through walls, within a certain distance. But they didn't even bother with race abilities, aside from being able to do special emotes.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    They learned the right lesson from WoW: racial that have mechanics effects make the hard problem of balance even harder, and people will optimize their builds for them ignoring RP or aesthetics. I’m okay with them making the choice they did for a multiplayer game

• Options
    Sod that, I just want it acknowledged in dialogue. Give me story content based on my choices, dangit!

• Options
    I want the ability to put on sunglasses over the blindfold/paper bag for added coolness.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    I want the ability to put on sunglasses over the blindfold/paper bag for added coolness.

That would be amazing.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    and yes, from my understanding, Miraluka could see through walls and stuff... but they also wouldn't be able to see holograms, or colors, or read anything.
    This poses obvious (story) problems, particularly when not grouped.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    It would be amazing if they acknowledged it, but they already basically gave us 8 single player games just in the base game; I'm not surprised they didn't add significant racial-specific dialog. You could turn your 16x dialog requirement (all 8 stories, male and female) into an x32 for all relevant dialog with just one race. Multiply appropriately for the number of races.

It'd be freakin' amazing, but unfortunately unrealistic to expect.

Well, maybe when we get automated voice acting that doesn't sound awful. Which would be seriously bad news for voice actors.