As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Question: can you solo Flashpoints?

I hate grouping up with people in this game :\

Story-important ones, yes.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Question: can you solo Flashpoints?

I hate grouping up with people in this game :\

Most (all?) of the story flashpoints can be done solo

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I've been doing a bunch of veteran flashpoints lately, and… this is going to sound like a dumb question:

How do I leave them? Most of them don't appear to have an obvious exit, and quick travel and fleet pass don't work. I've been too embarrassed to ask. :) So far I've just left the group and waited to get kicked out.

Unrelated, my thoughts on the latest 4 solo content patches:
    I thought they were pretty good, if short. I would have preferred getting all at once instead of at a slow trickle, because I kept forgetting what was happening.

I was actually fooled by Theron's apparent betrayal. My DS inquisitor had sided with the Empire, so I figured it might be a branching story with Lana as the betrayer on the other path. (I deliberately avoided finding out if I was right or not by avoiding spoilers.) As such, when the truth was revealed, this was also a surprise.

Seeing Khem Val again - and putting him down - was also cool, but I really wish I could get Zash back as a companion. At least my inquisitor got her hubby Andronikos back. I like Lana, but my inquisitor loves her space pirate.

Where the story ended (for now), it appears that calling it the Eternal Alliance might have been a bit hubristic… I'm not unhappy with this turn of events, though my inquisitor definitely is. I could see her saying "screw this" to the whole political power thing and instead pursuing force power or something instead, but I'm sure BW has other plans.

I just hope BW still has the manpower and will to get the story to a place where there is a natural conclusion to the story. (E.g., ending the whole thing after KOTET would have been OK, story-wise. But the story at the end om Nathema is unfinished.)

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I've been doing a bunch of veteran flashpoints lately, and… this is going to sound like a dumb question:

How do I leave them? Most of them don't appear to have an obvious exit, and quick travel and fleet pass don't work. I've been too embarrassed to ask. :) So far I've just left the group and waited to get kicked out.

It's completely non-obvious, but on the border of the minimap, there is a little exit button you can click to exit the instance.

Orca on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

It's completely non-obvious, but on the border of the minimap, there is a little exit button you can click to exit the instance.

You are a gentleman and a scholar, Orca.

• Options

You are a gentleman and a scholar, Orca.

We've all been there. There is so much about the game that isn't explained or is tiny or has context-dependent action that there's almost an apprenticeship of using the UI. I had to ask to find out how to remove a crew skill so I could train a new one...'cuz I didn't notice the tiny little X next to the skills.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    A recent podcast had a couple of devs on for a chat about future stuff and someone on SWTOR's Reddit made a post listing what was discussed. For those just interested in the talk summary about 6.0, check the box below.
    EXPANSION
    • Are we still on track for that, it was missing from the summer roadmap? "That's cus it's not coming in the summer, man" [laughing]
    • Team has a habit of announcing something, and once they have said it, they stop saying it, but we often need to, to remind and poke
    • "Yes, there is still an expansion in the works. I can't get into much more detail than that because it is still a ways out and we don't want to share details now that are likely going to shift and change" (when is it coming out, what exactly is it)
    • "It's still in the formative stage"
    • Not comfortable about saying anything about the timing yet
    • Return to Empire vs Republic? Mm-hm. [Yes], "You'll be seeing some of that before the expansion."
    • What will that entail? [laughing] "Empire people fighting Republic people?"" [jokingly] [more laughing]
    • Joking about Lana vs Theron in a steel cage match
    • "Well Lana and Theron are both Alliance people - so that's a little different"
    • Will it be a fully fleshed out xpac? Ops? full planets? flashpoints? Can you give us any idea? No. Not that we don't want to. Doesn't want to create false expectations.
    • Not a part of the Knights of the xxx story, it's a new story (extra confirmation)
    • Some sort of mechanic to resolve that players have been making different choices, and some characters are alive and others are dead is differnet for each player? Who controls a particular faction can be very important or not important depending on the story. Would like to keep it reflective of the player's choices as long as possible before picking one or the other. Goal would be not to collapse those choices to soon if they didn't have to.
    • Companions returning? Darkside Jaesa coming later in the summer, plans in motion for several more to tie in to story at the end of the year, including Khem Val
    • Will all comps return by 6.0? That is Charles (Boyd)'s goal. Has plans for every companion, only Xenith doesn't have a plan on the calendar. (does not mean he won't return, don't be concerned) Whether plans come together before the expansion, it is his goal
    • Can we expect new lcass features with the upcoming content? Meaningful companion interaction like shipboard missions? Not ready to say yet. Loves the class stuff in shadow of revan with some class specific interludes to give it some class flavor. Too early to say one way or another.
    • Vaylin romance and bringing her back? Not anywhere in Charle's plans, very unlikely, "that story is done and told"
    • Joking about bringing Vaylin back as hologram/force ghost
    • Separate class story line for Force characters vs Tech characters? It could get tricky if it Republic vs Empire - there would be 4 storylines instead. They did a little of this with the chapters, like the military or underworld chapters.
    • Removing weekly operations passes, funneling players towards subbing, have you revisited that? They discuss pretty constantly. Ongoing business concern. Nothing to announce. Keith is a fan of having a broader experience and opening things up more. Wouldn't be surprised if you saw something like that in the future. Galactic Command really complicated things. As they move away from it, it's more supplementary, and opens up new options.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    A recent podcast had a couple of devs on for a chat about future stuff and someone on SWTOR's Reddit made a post listing what was discussed. For those just interested in the talk summary about 6.0, check the box below.
    EXPANSION
    • Are we still on track for that, it was missing from the summer roadmap? "That's cus it's not coming in the summer, man" [laughing]
    • Team has a habit of announcing something, and once they have said it, they stop saying it, but we often need to, to remind and poke
    • "Yes, there is still an expansion in the works. I can't get into much more detail than that because it is still a ways out and we don't want to share details now that are likely going to shift and change" (when is it coming out, what exactly is it)
    • "It's still in the formative stage"
    • Not comfortable about saying anything about the timing yet
    • Return to Empire vs Republic? Mm-hm. [Yes], "You'll be seeing some of that before the expansion."
    • What will that entail? [laughing] "Empire people fighting Republic people?"" [jokingly] [more laughing]
    • Joking about Lana vs Theron in a steel cage match
    • "Well Lana and Theron are both Alliance people - so that's a little different"
    • Will it be a fully fleshed out xpac? Ops? full planets? flashpoints? Can you give us any idea? No. Not that we don't want to. Doesn't want to create false expectations.
    • Not a part of the Knights of the xxx story, it's a new story (extra confirmation)
    • Some sort of mechanic to resolve that players have been making different choices, and some characters are alive and others are dead is differnet for each player? Who controls a particular faction can be very important or not important depending on the story. Would like to keep it reflective of the player's choices as long as possible before picking one or the other. Goal would be not to collapse those choices to soon if they didn't have to.
    • Companions returning? Darkside Jaesa coming later in the summer, plans in motion for several more to tie in to story at the end of the year, including Khem Val
    • Will all comps return by 6.0? That is Charles (Boyd)'s goal. Has plans for every companion, only Xenith doesn't have a plan on the calendar. (does not mean he won't return, don't be concerned) Whether plans come together before the expansion, it is his goal
    • Can we expect new lcass features with the upcoming content? Meaningful companion interaction like shipboard missions? Not ready to say yet. Loves the class stuff in shadow of revan with some class specific interludes to give it some class flavor. Too early to say one way or another.
    • Vaylin romance and bringing her back? Not anywhere in Charle's plans, very unlikely, "that story is done and told"
    • Joking about bringing Vaylin back as hologram/force ghost
    • Separate class story line for Force characters vs Tech characters? It could get tricky if it Republic vs Empire - there would be 4 storylines instead. They did a little of this with the chapters, like the military or underworld chapters.
    • Removing weekly operations passes, funneling players towards subbing, have you revisited that? They discuss pretty constantly. Ongoing business concern. Nothing to announce. Keith is a fan of having a broader experience and opening things up more. Wouldn't be surprised if you saw something like that in the future. Galactic Command really complicated things. As they move away from it, it's more supplementary, and opens up new options.

I for one am very concerned that Xenith could come back

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I really want Kira back.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    I really want Kira back.

1. bring Kira back
    2. LET ME ROMANCE HER AS A FEMALE KNIGHT DAMMIt

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Just a couple things.

First, for Agents who like to bring Vector along, give him the mask from the Spectre armor set while he's wearing a chestpiece with at least two colors and match colors.
    FV5SMwy.jpg

That's my buggy boy.

And now, my non-regular progress update...
    c077uYo.jpg

...noICE.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    So I've been hankering for a bit of MMO-ing recently and decided to reinstall SWTOR since there's lots of stories I never played through. I haven't played since... well, maybe like a couple years after launch? In the past I'd sub for a month, play my fill, and cancel. This time around, I'm playing as a Sith Sorcerer. But they've completely revamped the leveled loot stuff, I've found. I distinctly recall seeing armor for Sith Inquisitors that looked like this:
    640?cb=20100826172517

Available over the course of leveling up. All the armor I've been getting looks very silly (as of the end of Tatooine), and I was hoping I'd be running around looking cool like that instead. I expect it's a fool's errand to ask here, but does anyone know where that armor style got moved to? I can't imagine they would throw away perfectly functional armor models. My first guess was the Cartel Market, but I don't see it there.

• Options
    Probably your best shot is checking the GTN and buying the cheapest versions of it for a costume slot.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    The one on the left appears to be the Charged Interrogator set.

The one on the right I think is Overloaded Interrogator, except the headpiece is different. I can't find a cartel market armor that has that hat, but I'm convinced there has to be one.

EDIT: I was right the first time, there are no cartel market sets with that hat.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    TOR Fashion is (still) your friend.
    In this specific case, try the Sith Inquisitor page, and any pieces that appear as "similar" at the bottom of pages that takes you to.

• Options
    There's a couple of vendors on dromund kaas that sell inquisitor-appropriate armor for cheap. The legacy vendor (there's one per class) and the adaptive armor vendor, specifically, right outside of and in the merchant district in east kaas city. You won't look unique, but you'll look good.

• Options
    sbAywXf.jpg

The Rishi Stronghold looks nice.

• Options
    Double-posting due to the latest dev-livestream being posted.

https://youtu.be/m0A0NGAGsZI

The Rishi Stronghold was talked about in the stream too, notes below coming from Dulfy.net.
    Dulfy.net wrote:
    Rishi Stronghold
    • Price and Unlock cost is around the price of Yavin, a bit higher
    • More hooks in this stronghold than a guild flagship
    • It is massive, pretty much the whole planet and a flying ship above it (ship from Master and Blaster fight)
    • 11 rooms to unlock
    • Several areas in the stronghold set for PvP.There are gates you can open/close to limit the area players can access during PvP. Observation deck included.
    • Has a beach area and a little island you can visit.
    • There is a little hidden cave
    • Patrol Cruiser area has an area where you can summon dummies, including the brand new healing training dummy.
    • Deck of the Patrol Cruiser features the largest PvP area in the stronghold with a full Huttball area. New Arena hook type which is the size of 4 Starship hooks

• Options
    Holy shitsnacks.

• Options
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Question from a returning player (been gone for several years). Starting up some toons from scratch, and I was wondering what are good crew skills for a casual player? Not looking to PvP or go hardcore into crafting, just looking for whatever is useful or profitable on the side.

• Options
    Gathering skills would probably be the safest bet. There's also Slicing which lets you pop open safes on planets as well as do missions for Tech Parts.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Metallikat wrote: »
    Question from a returning player (been gone for several years). Starting up some toons from scratch, and I was wondering what are good crew skills for a casual player? Not looking to PvP or go hardcore into crafting, just looking for whatever is useful or profitable on the side.

SLICING

GET ALL THE MONEY

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Yes. Slicing and gathering skills are good for leveling.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    So, a few things today!

1. Double XP/CXP till the 19th! MAKE THE NUMBERS BIGGER
    2. Not a half-price-collection-unlocks time. boo
    3. New stronghold! Getcha new stronghold! It's real fuckin' expensive but it's a huge fuckin' stronghold!
    4. If you romanced Lana all the way through the most recent story content you get a new conversation to confirm the state of things. It's one of their "droid language + no voiced lines from the player character" things, though.
    5. It's bounty week!
    6. New stuff added to collections and there are some truly sick new pieces for pretty princess dressup. SITH WARBLADE REPRESENT! And the Callous Conqueror armor's pretty great too (and that mask, which kind of makes me think that the other mask that's kind of like it was a cheap knockoff and that the Sith haven't been able to replicate the original until now). God dammit though the set costs like 5000 coins and it's probably gonna be upwards of 100 million on the market...

Also, apparently the update has caused a lot of lag in strongholds. Just strongholds, not really anywhere else.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Roadmap is available:

https://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20180905

And I seem to be down to 7 deployable companions (from 8) at max level. What's up with that?

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Interesting. Jaesa is coming back, but only if you turned her dark side.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I'm guessing her mission will be about her setting fire to an orphanage that also functions as an animal shelter, to keep it in line with her character writing.

• Options
    Also the end of summer sales event has a whole crapload of items available from the cartel market. I picked up a bunch of emotes and toys that cost millions of credits for a few hundred cartel coins. I can finally get nuked by an orbital kolto strike and it didn't cost me 10 million credits!

The new Rishi Stronghold also has a its first expansion available for a whopping $120K credits. No, that's not a typo. Purchase cost of the stronghold is still like 3 million credits.

The place is enormous and attractive, but it tanks my frame rate (5 year old PC). The PVP arena is a curiosity to me (since I'll never use it), but the overlook is pretty cool, and the ship is like your own mini-guild flagship. In a new development, there are several places in the stronghold you can set as the place you spawn into, which is a nice touch. The entry video is also long as hell, as befits a huge bloody stronghold.

I'll be curious to see what people do with this one between its large size and varied internal and external environments.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Roadmap is available:

https://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20180905

And I seem to be down to 7 deployable companions (from 8) at max level. What's up with that?

from the roadmap
    Member Ban by Legacy –Allows removal of members based on their Legacy
    Does that mean they have already given players the ability to ban other players based on Legacy?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    What about cartel unlocks? Are they having one of their half-price-to-unlock-cartel-items sales?

EDIT: Just checked, and no.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Started playing out of the blue. Made a new vanguard and was reminded why I like the story in this game more than any other MMO out there.

The story lines in this game are unbeatable. I haven't leveled a character to 50 yet and I'm still having a blast playing the game.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I'm not sure which patch it was, but it looks like at some point they completely opened the floodgates to new characters without having to buy character slots (at least if you're a sub, not sure if you're not).

I'm at 26 used out of 368 character slots. O_o

Orca on
  • Options
    Double XP/CXP week!

And you're still limited by character number if you're not subscribed. Of course I already had a crap-ton of slots, like 36, but I have more than that many characters.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    So the next big expansion is coming December? I have a star wars itch and Battlefront 2 did nothing to scratch it.

I wanted to come back and do a dark side run of SW and Jedi Shadow. But if the next expansion is KotFE type, I may just wait for that.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I think most companies still count December as outside of fall, and 5.10 (the only upcoming content update I'm aware of) is scheduled for "Fall 2018". I haven't hard anything about a full-size expansion.

Also I'm not subscribed at the moment, so when leveling my last few alts (because I don't do much multiplayer content I don't have any healer toons because healing single-player content is sooooo fuckinnggg time-consumiiiing) I've been stopping at level 69, because I can't remember what happens at level 70 if you aren't subscribed (i.e. if your first command level is wasted or not).

Shadowen on
  • Options
    I have seen the thing in the launcher, and yes, it is indeed December. Still not a full-sized expansion that I'm aware. Probably just a new daily hub or something.

• Options
    A while ago, I opined that Voss heroics, specifically Republic-side (though Imperial-side was no picnic either), were the worst heroics in the game. I stand by that judgement as a collective--that is, as a group there is no collection of planetary heroic missions that is as much of a joyless slog in the game as Republic-side Voss.

On an individual level, however, I think I have a new contender for worst. Worse even than Republic Voss's "Not Afraid Enough", which is a garbage mission designed by trash people. And that is "Sabotage", on Imperial-side Alderaan.

Both factions get an awful heroic with a multi-stage bonus that is awful for the same reasons on Alderaan--the Republic's version is "Into the Killik Warrens". However, Sabotage just edges it out, for three reasons.

But what makes them so awful to begin with? Well, they're largely identical in that they're endless grinds through enormous yet cramped non-instanced areas stuffed to the gills with clusters of strong and elite enemies that feel like they have way too many HP and respawn way too quickly. Technically you don't have to fight the enemies if you're a stealth class, but the mission objectives are all close to mobs and generally you can't decloak, get the objective, and recloak fast enough to avoid getting tagged with some sort of dot that pulls you back out of stealth.

But Into the Killik Warrens is just a little bit less awful than Sabotage. First, though the area it takes place in is larger, the outdoor section is easier to move around without pulling even if you aren't a stealth class, and there are one but two other heroics taking place in the same zone, so it doesn't feel like you're spending all this time on a single mission. Sabotage, aside from its awful bonus mission (more on that later), is a singleton. Second, Into the Killik Warrens doesn't end with a boss fight, you just have to collect the mission items from the zone. Even the bonus boss is just your average elite enemy. Sabotage has a champion boss for both the main mission and a kick in the dick bonus boss that I don't think got its health or damage adjusted downward from when it was a Heroic 4.

Lastly, while both areas are stuffed full of tough enemies, Into the Killik Warrens is just cramped tunnels. The worst section of Sabotage--which if you're doing the bonus includes a lot of backtracking, as does Into the Killik Warrens's bonus--takes place in a non-OSHA-compliant hydroelectric dam full of places you can be knocked off or accidentally walk off to your death, at which point you will respawn back at base because they didn't put a medical outpost closer to the mission zone, meaning not only do you have to fight your way back in, first you have to trudge all the way back to the mission zone before you can even begin fighting. If you have a habit of using auto-run, maybe turn it off when doing Sabotage. Also it is entirely possible, doing Sabotage, to be killed by the bonus boss, have the bonus boss attack nearby trash, respawn and heal before it manages to kill the trash, join the fight against the bonus boss--and if it dies, your previous death means the kill doesn't count and you have to summon it again.

Sabotage is the only heroic that has gotten me to ragequit TOR before when I've been soloing. God I hate it so much. But I try to do it at least once on every Imperial toon, including the bonus, as a learning experience.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    ... that's why you don't solo Heroics. Or shouldn't, IMO.

• Options
    ... that's why you don't solo Heroics. Or shouldn't, IMO.

I mean I'll group up if someone's in the area and it's one of those where there's an objective you can't share (e.g. "Possessed Hunter" on Dromund Kaas). But if not, every heroic can be soloed. It's a quick and easy way to make credits, gain XP, and even get gear up to level 61. (Not CXP, though; weeklies are probably best for that.)

Except for certain ones that take a while. Like Sabotage. In general I do those exactly once while leveling as a barometer for how my character's developing. If I die from something that's basically a level/gear check, I know I'm lagging. (My methodology is, do all quests on the starter planet, do only class and heroic quests in all planets after the first, and then before you resume the story from where you left off the last time you played, go back and do select heroics that are very fast--e.g. "Saving Face" on Dromund Kaas--for a quick boost of XP and gear.)