As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Obviously a gritty prequel where you play as Kent and witness his slow descent into depression and trauma.

Only half the game. You switch back and forth between him and a family trying to survive in the ruins of a Gotoro city, This War of Mine style, while Kent's unit fights house-to-house in the next neighborhood over.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Quick question

TV said that it’s gonna rain all day tomorrow

I go to bed and when I wake up it’s not raining

What gives?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Quick question

What gives?

Did you look at the forecast after midnight?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Quick question

What gives?

The weather report can occasionally be wrong, according to Internet reports. No idea if it's a bug or a feature.

• Options
    Quick question

What gives?

Did you look at the forecast after midnight?

No it was right after I had woken up. I’m at the very beginning - it’s acrually day 2 into day 3.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    Quick question

What gives?

The weather report can occasionally be wrong, according to Internet reports. No idea if it's a bug or a feature.

Okay thanks

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    My 9yo daughter has about 13 hours into Stardew Valley already and she only played 1 hour Thurs night and none on Friday(got in trouble). Am I a bad parent?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I’m afraid at playing this game and sinking a good deal of time in to it before realizing I was doing it “wrong”. I suck enough at real life, I don’t want to suck at my fake life too. How forgiving is this game?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Don't worry there is like one thing that has a timeframe really at the start of the 3rd year. And looks like that there is a way to redo that now so no pressure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Don't worry there is like one thing that has a timeframe really at the start of the 3rd year. And looks like that there is a way to redo that now so no pressure.

So do the game years go on perpetually? I was under the impression it’s like Harvest Moon where there’s an “end”.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

So do the game years go on perpetually? I was under the impression it’s like Harvest Moon where there’s an “end”.

There's an end in that the game checks to see whether you've achieved a bunch of objectives after 2 years. But the game itself goes on forever, as far as I've been able to tell. I'm sure someone has checked to see if it crashes on year 2^32-1 or something, but nobody's actually reaching that.

My 9yo daughter has about 13 hours into Stardew Valley already and she only played 1 hour Thurs night and none on Friday(got in trouble). Am I a bad parent?

Giving your daughter a sample of the Stardew, and then withholding it later? You're a monster.

• Options
    She's played the PC version before so that wasn't that bad :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    She's played the PC version before so that wasn't that bad :P

Oh then you're fine

Now deleting her PC save

That would make you a monster

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

There's an end in that the game checks to see whether you've achieved a bunch of objectives after 2 years. But the game itself goes on forever, as far as I've been able to tell. I'm sure someone has checked to see if it crashes on year 2^32-1 or something, but nobody's actually reaching that.

Yeah, and like others have said: even if you don't achieve those objectives, he later patched in a way to get re-evaluated.

The game is pretty forgiving. If you miss out on something during a season, that just means you'll have another opportunity to go for it the following year.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The hissing sound is getting really obnoxious. Any idea when it will be patched?

urahonky on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I’m afraid at playing this game and sinking a good deal of time in to it before realizing I was doing it “wrong”. I suck enough at real life, I don’t want to suck at my fake life too. How forgiving is this game?

There's almost no way to do things wrong unless you completely ignore a section of the game and never examine it though even that can be dealt with. There's usually a system in place that lets you compensate for what you skipped earlier. The only one that could be a big pain is if you miss a fish that's specific to one season one year that's used in a bundle but fish bundles that need something seasonal don't have great rewards.

People that hit the mines early won't have as large a farm due to stamina limits but will have upgraded tools and a sprinkler network sooner to make what they have more efficient.
    People that don't do much socializing early are more likely to have grown a steady supply of gift items they can use to catch up pretty quickly there not to mention getting a boost to almost all the npcs from using a good ingredient in the summer luau potluck.
    People that go all out on the farm and don't do much fishing, gathering, or mining will have enough money that buying ore from Clint isn't entirely unreasonable and can just spring for a Joja membership and ignore the community center bundle system in favor of raw cash purchases.

It does help to regularly check the traveling trader that stops by on Sunday and Friday since she can sell almost every item that gets used in a bundle and you'll get a feel for what bundles are unlikely to happen the natural way after a while.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Are there any benchmark type things I should be tracking to for the first season?

• Options
    In late fall, you're going to need nine high-value items to enter into the fair, from as many categories as possible. So maybe start a collection in one of your chests of nine of the best crops, gems, artisanal goods and fish you come across.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Are there any benchmark type things I should be tracking to for the first season?

First season as in the first spring? It can help to catch a catfish (rivers when it's raining) and an eel (afternoon to night, oceans when raining) because they don't show up easily again until the Fall but their bundles don't unlock any great rewards.

Having 5 gold quality parsnips for the quality crops community center bundle can help get that goal out of the way too though it's no big deal if that waits until the second spring given that you're unlikely to get all the other pantry bundles done before then.

And if you want to get a head start on the social aspect, you can try to get a lady up to 3 hearts before the end of spring festival.

Other than that, no real big benchmarks. When you have access to the community center, you'll want to fill the spring foraging bundle to unlock the pantry bundles and then keep finishing whatever easy bundles you can to unlock all the bundles but those are pretty easy as long as you don't repeatedly sell off what you wanted to save for a bundle. You'll want to grow every crop needed for the seasonal bundle but that's pretty easily done just by buying at least one of every seed type once you get past the initial week of having no money.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Jedoc wrote: »
    In late fall, you're going to need nine high-value items to enter into the fair, from as many categories as possible. So maybe start a collection in one of your chests of nine of the best crops, gems, artisanal goods and fish you come across.

Do items spoil?

First season as in the first spring? It can help to catch a catfish (rivers when it's raining) and an eel (afternoon to night, oceans when raining) because they don't show up easily again until the Fall but their bundles don't unlock any great rewards.

Having 5 gold quality parsnips for the quality crops community center bundle can help get that goal out of the way too though it's no big deal if that waits until the second spring given that you're unlikely to get all the other pantry bundles done before then.

And if you want to get a head start on the social aspect, you can try to get a lady up to 3 hearts before the end of spring festival.

Other than that, no real big benchmarks. When you have access to the community center, you'll want to fill the spring foraging bundle to unlock the pantry bundles and then keep finishing whatever easy bundles you can to unlock all the bundles but those are pretty easy as long as you don't repeatedly sell off what you wanted to save for a bundle. You'll want to grow every crop needed for the seasonal bundle but that's pretty easily done just by buying at least one of every seed type once you get past the initial week of having no money.

Thanks for the write up! Good stuff!

Drez on
  • Options
    Items do not spoil! Just toss that ol' fish into a chest and keep it around for a few years, it's cool.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    The hissing sound is getting really obnoxious. Any idea when it will be patched?

That would be a the rain and I doubt it at this point.

Someone has probably modded it out, though.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

That would be a the rain and I doubt it at this point.

Someone has probably modded it out, though.

I believe it's a bug on the Switch version. It makes a static sound after a day or two. And it's pretty consistent.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Oh. Well then!

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    A word of advice to people who are just starting this and want to get a leg up: keep your money low. Having a few kilo gold in your inventory may feel safe, but your only expenses are stuff for your farm. If you spend it on seeds instead, you can make a return on that money. Only save money if you have a goal in mind, like a Chicken Coop or a new tool.

Also, buy at least a few Strawberry Seeds at the spring festival. Strawberries are big bucks. And try to save a few seeds (or berries and a Seed Maker) for next spring.

I built my fortune on Strawberries.

• Options
    Also, be aware that as soon as the season changes, any crops that are only meant for the previous season will die. So don't plant anything that takes 7 days to produce when you only have 6 days of that season left!

That being said, there are a few crops that span two seasons. They'll be fine.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also everyone who just got the game. There is no end game here, you can play forever if you want. So don't feel rushed.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Also everyone who just got the game. There is no end game here, you can play forever if you want. So don't feel rushed.
    Indeed. I've played the game to be hyper efficient before, which is kinda cool in its own respects, but I'm about to start a file to handle things in the more relaxed manner.

This game is special to me because I come from a family of farmers. My grandpa passed over a decade ago, but last year my grandma died, and today my uncle - who would still go back annually to work on and oversee the farm back in Portugal - died. And for some reason I'm just like... time to grow some things, even if they're digital.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Can't find four people.

Hm.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    There is only one major thing that you can do in the game that isn't reversible.
    choosing to invest in the big store or the community center

Everything else can be changed, with a little work.

Don't stress about "doing it wrong". You literally can't. You might have to wait a year, if you miss a holiday for instance, but you can't permanently miss anything, and can't do anything you can't reverse if you want. Even the "biggest" choices. Even things you might not assume you can change, you can.

I've put a god awful amount of time into Stardew valley, when I first started I too worried about missing things or doing it wrong. But I really started enjoying it when I accepted that I couldn't mess up. Make checklists, whatever, however you prefer to play (there is a super useful checklist site for the center somewhere), but do it how you want without worrying about messing up something you aren't aware of. The guy who made the game did a better job, of any game I can think of, of making a game where it feels like everything you do matters, without making anything required.

Which is an astounding feat, to make a game where there is actual purpose to every feature, yet every feature is optional. Minecraft eat your heart out.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    About the community center.

If all else fails, when it comes to getting those items, check with the lady that opens shop south of your farm from her wagon. She frequently sells things (it may not be what you need right at the moment) for the community center packages. In fact I think everything you have to turn in to that is possible to get from her, including out of season. Just be ready to spend some coin, ya know.

Also if you invest in Jojo Mart how dare you.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Henroid wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Indeed. I've played the game to be hyper efficient before, which is kinda cool in its own respects, but I'm about to start a file to handle things in the more relaxed manner.

This game is special to me because I come from a family of farmers. My grandpa passed over a decade ago, but last year my grandma died, and today my uncle - who would still go back annually to work on and oversee the farm back in Portugal - died. And for some reason I'm just like... time to grow some things, even if they're digital.

My condolences.

Drez on
  • Options
    Are green beans spring only? Does that yield from the bean starter?

• Options

Yes and yes.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Green beans are one of those things you want to plant as early on as possible, unless you're just trying to get the one for the community center package (I think that's one of the things you need). After you harvest, the planet remains and you can keep getting more. Just be mindful that you can't walk through the post it grows on.

• Options
    Green beans are one of those things you want to plant as early on as possible, unless you're just trying to get the one for the community center package (I think that's one of the things you need). After you harvest, the planet remains and you can keep getting more. Just be mindful that you can't walk through the post it grows on.

Meaning don't plant in a 3x3 square or higher since you'll not be able to reach the middle one.

Still bitter about that.

• Options
    So that’s sucks

I’m on day 20 and haven’t planted any

Fantastic

• Options

Meaning don't plant in a 3x3 square or higher since you'll not be able to reach the middle one.

Still bitter about that.

Yep, I learned my lesson that same way.

• Options
    So that’s sucks

Fantastic
    I think the plant descriptions in the store note if they are multi-harvest or one time. Generally speaking though if, in real life, you continually harvest from a plant, you do it in the game.

The exception is kale for some fucking reason. In this game you just slice the plant down once. When I grew kale, you harvest leaves as the stalk grows over the course of the year. It grows many feet high. I have SUCH a bug up my ass about this detail. XD

• Options
    edited October 2017
    So that’s sucks

Fantastic

Don't worry about it. If you already bought the seeds stick them in a chest, they'll keep until Spring 2

...unless you bought dozens of seeds or something and unintentionally spent all of your cash and now you're going to be broke for Summer 1

Then, uh, kinda worry about it?

But fuck it. Fish a whole bunch after farm chores are done, sell the fish and you'll probably be ok if you've still got 8 days left.

HappylilElf on