As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I’m at the point where I have enough cash to get a substantial amount of crops going at any given time but I haven’t come across any iron with which to make sprinklers, so I can’t put it to use since I’m still hand-watering everything and it takes too much time and energy. Should I be spending more time in the mines at this point? How long until I regularly come across iron ore?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Mine levels 40 through 80 are where you're most likely to find iron ore. Probably best to go mining on rainy days because you won't have to spend any time or energy on watering anything first.

You can also buy ore from Clint if you really want to.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Are sprinklers even worth it? They only auto water 4 tiles and they're all spaced out from each other. Also is refined quartz useful for anything? I have a shitload of it from all the broken classes and broken cd's ive recycled.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Are sprinklers even worth it? They only auto water 4 tiles and they're all spaced out from each other.

Quality sprinklers are 100% worth it. Regular sprinklers are debatable.
    Also is refined quartz useful for anything? I have a shitload of it from all the broken classes and broken cd's ive recycled.

Yeah, you can make quality sprinklers with quartz. :biggrin:

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    You also use Refined Quartz to make Lightning Rods, which make Batteries (which are useful for some useful stuff) and prevent lightning strikes from messing up your crops.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah regular sprinklers are... eh. The next tier up though is actually worthwhile. And yes quartz is useful for many things. Throw that shit in the furnace and make it refined.

@joshofalltrades if you look in the <3 menu it'll show you who you've met and who you haven't, signified by them having ???? in place of their name. Describe who it is and we can drop ya some hints. For the record though, the Adventurer's Guild guy and Wizard don't count toward it I think.

• Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    When does the recipe for quality sprinklers unlock? I have a ton of refined quartz thanks to my crab pots + recyclers.

I'm definitely agreeing with "play the game how you want." I am doing minimal farming - just enough to get the crop bundles checked off.

Instead I am spending most of my time fishing and mining, and it's working out great. I feel like I have plenty of money coming in. I'm in the middle of summer 1 and have the 36 slot backpack, 1 steel tool, 3 copper tools, and the Iridium Rod.

I think part of my success is from picking the island farm. Less space for farming + water outside my doorstep fits my play style perfectly.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The best tip I learned is that you can buy one Iridium sprinkler per week (Friday) from Krobus, it waters a 5x5 area and costs 10,000 gold, so isn't an item you'll start buying right off the bat, but once you do get cash rolling in it's the best place to get them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Waveform wrote: »
    When does the recipe for quality sprinklers unlock?
    It unlocks as you level your Farming skill (tilling, watering, and harvesting what you grow). Specifically,
    level 6.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Okay Abigail sorry you didn't like my gift of a random onion I found

But it's not the gift it's what the gift was trying to say
    You made me cry, Abigail

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I think I used the basic sprinkler to keep four flowers watered that were near my beehives, and that was it. And eventually I replaced all my quality sprinklers with iridium ones, which I bought because getting the materials to craft them seemed like a pain at the time.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    What's really funny about this game to me having just picked it up last week is that for me it's this relaxing, simple farming game where I'm kind of plodding along and talking to the townspeople here and there.

Then I talk to experienced SDV players or read tips and my head feels like it's going to explode, and that I'm doing it all wrong and will be in ruins once summer comes and I'm freaking out man. How am I missing all of this in the game :?

SDV is full of systems that let you compensate of having missed out on something earlier.
    For example, I slacked off on socializing with most of the villagers until Fall but by then I had an upgraded house that let me turn things like algae and cheap fish into soup and sashimi that most villagers like so I have a steady supply of gifts to play catch up there.

It's also set up so that a lot of systems work together. For example, running a very large farm is hard without a sprinkler network which requires mining.

Experienced players tend to engage more of the systems early on instead of compensating later.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I found three more people, one's some homeless dude and another's a little girl who I guess is impossible to find unless you're lucky.

Still have one last person to find. My guess it's the guy running the Adventurer Guild? But he won't even open the door until I make it to level 5 in the mines.

Jas is a kid so her range of activities is a lot more limited. In the spring, it's mostly either playing outside near her home or being tutored by Penny at the library. If you're not doing logging in the morning or afternoon or making frequent donations to the museum, she can be easy to miss. Vincent has a similar deal.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I was gonna gift something to Abigail on her birthday. It coincides with the Egg Festival so I thought I would give it to her but the game is just like lolnope and after winning the egg hunt everybody just... goes to bed. Am I missing something? Is it seriously impossible to give her a gift on her birthday?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Gotta get there before the festival starts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I can't? Trying to head to town gives me a message that they're setting up and I need to wait till the festival.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Abigail's birthday isn't on the Egg Festival. No one has a birthday during a festival day. Abigail's birthday is in Fall.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Oh shit. I am the dumb. I thought the in-game month was closest to the one we're about to go into IRL for some reason.

My brain.

• Options
    I was gonna gift something to Abigail on her birthday. It coincides with the Egg Festival so I thought I would give it to her but the game is just like lolnope and after winning the egg hunt everybody just... goes to bed. Am I missing something? Is it seriously impossible to give her a gift on her birthday?

Wait, what? Abigail's birthday is Fall 13. Haley's birthday is Spring 14, which is the day after the Egg Festival.

I don't think there's ever a day that has both a festival and birthday.

• Options

I can't? Trying to head to town gives me a message that they're setting up and I need to wait till the festival.

Oh yeah, that one takes place in the town square. For the ones on the beach or whatever you can wander around town before it starts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm in first year summer. I managed to get an iron quality watering can so I setup 210 plots to manually water. Because I love growing stuffs.

I did a major goof though; I bought a Rare Seed from the wagon lady, and accidentally tried planting it. It's the wrong season. So it poofed gone. :(

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Are sprinklers even worth it? They only auto water 4 tiles and they're all spaced out from each other. Also is refined quartz useful for anything? I have a shitload of it from all the broken classes and broken cd's ive recycled.

I found that as long as you can put up with the mental anguish of a non regular layout of farm then the low tier sprinklers are totally worth it.

I hit the mines hard early so had loads of ore which meant I had more than a dozen small sprinklers, laid out in a staggered pattern that's a lot of crops auto watered. More time for going into the mine!

Pro Tip: put a paving slab on the spot you want the sprinkler - then you can't accidentally harvest them.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I don't really ever bother with regular sprinklers but my farms are utterly packed with quality sprinklers

My last farm on the standard map had well over almost 70 of them

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    yeah. the 4-tile sprinklers just end up being really cost ineffective, but quality ones are real good. The iridium ones are kinda overkill though for the most part.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    yeah. the 4-tile sprinklers just end up being really cost ineffective, but quality ones are real good. The iridium ones are kinda overkill though for the most part.

The iridium ones are more than one really needs, but since they can be bought eventually, it's not really a big deal. And they do free up a few spaces if used in the greenhouse for late game maximizing of efficiency.

That said, it's certainly possible to overdo a sprinkler network. I just got into second spring in my game and couldn't finish plowing, fertilizing, and seeding my field the first day and I "only" had 17 quality sprinklers set up.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

The iridium ones are more than one really needs, but since they can be bought eventually, it's not really a big deal. And they do free up a few spaces if used in the greenhouse for late game maximizing of efficiency.

That said, it's certainly possible to overdo a sprinkler network. I just got into second spring in my game and couldn't finish plowing, fertilizing, and seeding my field the first day and I "only" had 17 quality sprinklers set up.

This is what I'm afraid I'm going to end up with on the Switch version.

Plowing still takes awhile but on PC I can fertilize/plant stupidly fast if I combine mouse+gamepad. On my last three farms though even doing that I'd barely get it done by 1am during year 2 when I had everything fully set up.

Also fuck me I loaded up my latest farm last night to count sprinklers and now I'm fighting the urge to say fuck it to Shadow of War and instead fire up Stardew and time travel a month or so into the future.

this game has claws

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    regular sprinklers are also handy early on for flowers and trellis plants that you only want a few of. Mass crop layouts don't work easily with them. You have to do weird offsets to get them to tessellate. But if you have them or can get them, they're real nice for saving a little bit of time and stamina when it's tight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yesterday I learned that while Vincent and Jas do not like most artisan goods, they DO like Mead.

Responsible and helpful member of Pelican Town's community right here.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Yesterday I learned that while Vincent and Jas do not like most artisan goods, they DO like Mead.

Responsible and helpful member of Pelican Town's community right here.
    Huh. I'd say something but my brothers, cousins and I were all given something similar on the holidays, a Portuguese sweet alcohol (I dunno what to classify it as). So drink up Vincent and Jas!

• Options
    alcohol is basically a guaranteed success in stardew valley.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options

So basically true to life for any small town that has little to do besides work

• Options

yeah, but only one person dislikes mead, and it aint one of the children!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options

Something a lot of people appreciated about Stardew Valley is that even though it's where your character escapes to in order to get away from the old way of life, almost every other young adult hates it there or at least can't see a way to a successful life there (and it's telling how the only venue for entertainment is a bar).

Steam Profile
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I feel really bad gifting Shane more beer after he admitted his rampant depression, alcoholism and suicidal thoughts to me.

But on the other hand he's already in the bar and I do need those blue chickens...

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    I feel really bad gifting Shane more beer after he admitted his rampant depression, alcoholism and suicidal thoughts to me.

But on the other hand he's already in the bar and I do need those blue chickens...
    Dude.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I really need to start being friends with the villagers. I'm halfway through Summer Year one on the Switch and it's been all about getting on my feet.

• Options
    I just started autumn year 1. I have 11 sprinklers set to help grow a bunch of stuff. The manual plots I have that I didn't have enough sprinklers for amount to 198 spots, split into two lanes of 99. But I have a gold water can already. Also those 198 spots are filled with pumpkins. And I already have the next round of pumpkin seeds bought on harvest day. So I'm set for the season as far as buying seeds goes. All my money now can be funneled into other things.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I really need to start being friends with the villagers. I'm halfway through Summer Year one on the Switch and it's been all about getting on my feet.

I barely gave any villagers gifts my first year in the game. I never even properly dated anyone before I stopped playing, so I missed out on the whole marriage thing.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I barely gave any villagers gifts my first year in the game. I never even properly dated anyone before I stopped playing, so I missed out on the whole marriage thing.

But you're missing the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE GAME!!!!

... not really. Marriage isn't really that deeply implemented. But it's the signifier that you're a true Stardew Valley fan, that you will argue fervently for your preferred waifu/husbando.

• Options
    Speaking of, who is everyone aiming for as far as marriage candidates go? Reminder that everyone is bi.