As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley - Join us. Thrive.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The latter.
    Your granddad shows up at the end of Winter 2 to judge your farm, but you can reset that until you get the top score from the old man. Also, the TV and many of the time-set events will reset, but you can keep on going as long as you want.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying this game a whole lot more on the Switch than on PC.

It's great at work.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I just got to the point where I can choose between bats or shrooms.

I'm really conflicted. I want to unlock the greenhouse ASAP, but from what I'm reading, the shrooms is better long term, especially if you enjoy spelunking.

Thoughts?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I chose mushrooms but I was in no hurry to unlock the greenhouse.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

I'm really conflicted. I want to unlock the greenhouse ASAP, but from what I'm reading, the shrooms is better long term, especially if you enjoy spelunking.

Thoughts?

Bats really saved my "greenhouse in year 1" goal.

Mushrooms I found okay, but between finding them in caves sometimes and also having the forest farm, I found enough spare mushrooms to make up for it.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Bats are very spotty in terms of production. Mushrooms are dependable and you can make life potions.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Thoughts?

It isn't hard to get fruit, not really. It might mean it takes slightly longer to complete the bundles, but mushrooms are way useful for HP potions.

They are honestly a pretty even trade since they are both only really good for a short time. The fruits lets you get bundles slightly faster, the mushrooms makes you slightly better able to cave for a little while.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

Thoughts?

It isn't hard to get fruit, not really. It might mean it takes slightly longer to complete the bundles, but mushrooms are way useful for HP potions.

They are honestly a pretty even trade since they are both only really good for a short time. The fruits lets you get bundles slightly faster, the mushrooms makes you slightly better able to cave for a little while.

Yeah the bats are really only useful if I'm pushing hard to unlock the greenhouse during year 1. Even going for that though as long as the cart vendor gets checked at every opportunity the year 1 greenhouse is still doable.

I always go mushrooms these days. Being able to build up a giant stockpile by the time I start diving into the cavern-o-doom is just too handy to pass up.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I went with bats because my farm was named Witch Hill

sorry, bats are fucking required here

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

Are you playing on the Wilderness Farm?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I don't even know what you guys are talking about. Using bats to fix a greenhouse.

Of course i did just get to summer for the first time last night.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased that official hardcover guide book. It looks very pretty just as a physical book.

I haven't, but a friend of mine let me leaf through hers. It is one of the best examples of book-as-object I've seen. Good heavy stock, hand-drawn art, stitched binding, just a pleasure to hold. If I ever start buying books again, that's definitely one I'd be happy to own.

Is This the book your talking about? Because if so I think I know what one of my fiancee's Feast of the Winter Star gifts is going to be

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased that official hardcover guide book. It looks very pretty just as a physical book.

I haven't, but a friend of mine let me leaf through hers. It is one of the best examples of book-as-object I've seen. Good heavy stock, hand-drawn art, stitched binding, just a pleasure to hold. If I ever start buying books again, that's definitely one I'd be happy to own.

Is This the book your talking about? Because if so I think I know what one of my fiancee's Feast of the Winter Star gifts is going to be

It is! I just ordered it from here It is a bit cheaper.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Before I stopped for the night I'd reached Summer and just got a coop and two chickens! I don't know what to do with them. One is named Jeremy, the other Ripperella.

Their coop is in a big, stone walled, field of grass. Also I bought a bunch of summer crops and planted them. I really want to upgrade my tools though. I got all these stumps and big rocks to clear.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Henroid wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »

Are you playing on the Wilderness Farm?

hill farm

if it was the wilderness I would have called it the Hagwood or something

maybe next farm? tho I'm eying a "Bitch Creek" run since I do super well with the fishing in this game

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    There's a farm in my local area called Shit Creek.

• Options
    that's also great

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    There's a farm in my local area called Shit Creek.
    Carry a paddle with you at all times.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I Named my farm what I did because I'm 12 years old

<----see location

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Mine's Happyweed Farm. Currently the home of me and my four chickens - Nugglet, Filet, Popcorn and Rotisserie.

• Options
    Mine is MMO RPG Farm. Because I min/max that shit.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Mine is the normal farm.

I called it Happy Farm.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My entire goal in my last playthrough was to break the economy by the end of Summer 1 with two monster crops of melons. Thus: Melonballa Farm.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My entire goal in my last playthrough was to break the economy by the end of Summer 1 with two monster crops of melons. Thus: Melonballa Farm.

At first i tried to do it with corn, but the farm kept getting dangerously hot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

At first i tried to do it with corn, but the farm kept getting dangerously hot.

It took me a second, but got damn

• Options
    I planted a lot of things in the first couple days in year 2.
    gtoAoz4.jpg
    42ciL6N.jpg
    Not pictured; to the left of the green house there's 36 trees all tapped (12 of each kind), and just south of those are my coop and barn. South of my bigger crop rows are some planks laid out for me to plant out trees, about 4 of each kind. South of that are 3 silos, with some grid-aligned spots for random tree planting / cutting.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    How the hell did you get that much iridium?
    Never mind, my eyes saw purple and I didn't think to count the squares

In other news I have a wife now. She has blue hair and works as a bartender. In the morning before we both go to work we make kissy faces in the kitchen.

knitdan on
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »

In other news I have a wife now. She has blue hair and works as a bartender. In the morning before we both go to work we make kissy faces in the kitchen.

gross

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

gross

For our honeymoon we went camping and shared a sleeping bag :winky:

• Options
    kissing and camping with your wife is hella gay, bro

• Options
    I got just enough iridium in year 1 to get all my tools upgraded to that point and to make an iridium ring. I have five bars sitting in storage.

My plan is to overhaul the farm in winter of year 2 to use iridium sprinklers.

Unrelated aside: I keep forgetting to close my barn / coop doors at night, wtf is wrong with me?
    She seems cool. I'm still going to rescue Penny from her trailer.

• Options
    Where were you getting your year 1 iridium from?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

The mine is not difficult to do in Year 1.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Delmain wrote: »

The mine is not difficult to do in Year 1.

The skull mine?

I didn't find anywhere near enough iridum there to have 25+ bars of it lying around for tool upgrades and such. Is there some way of juking the drops to get better yields? I know the chances get better the deeper you go, but I'd rarely be deep enough to find more than one or two bits of ore per descent.

Brolo on
  • Options
    I unlocked the desert / skull cavern in year 1. Which you do so by doing the money bundles in the Community Center. But you have to reach the very bottom of the regular mine to be able to enter the desert's skull cavern (which isn't difficult).

After that it was a matter of paying attention to the psychic person on the TV. If it was a good luck day, go to the skull cavern, because drop rates are higher.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Looking at the pictures of fields with fences around them reminded me of a trick I did for my farm. I got tired of having to replace fence and waste materials on them so found out that animals can't walk through brazier's so I crafted up a pile of wood and stone brazier's to circle my barn and only had to occasionally replace the two fence sections that allowed the gate to work.

I'm sad I didn't know the trick about putting a sprinkler on a paving stone that someone mentioned earlier, that would have saved a little bit of hassle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm in year 4 and I've got 8 iridium sprinklers and no iridium tools.

I've had the meteorite drop twice, and found ore in the quarry twice.

Most of the iridium I've gotten though has been from random geodes I found in the mines. I need to spend more time in the mines I think. Don't have nearly enough monsters killed.

• Options
    Play the game at your own pace. It was built to do so. Even the whole thing with grandpa's 3-year evaluation can be reset in your current game, no need to start a new file.

• Options
    I know, but I get tired of spending half my day watering plants so I'd like to get to the point where I've got water automated.

Which I probably could do at this point with the level 2 sprinklers. I kind of broke the economy awhile back by focusing on mayo and coffee before I got bored with that.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    What effect does closing the barn/coop doors at night have on the animals? Or is it just an aesthetic thing?

godmode on
This discussion has been closed.