As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley - Join us. Thrive.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Wontan: Just a quick heads-up about refined quartz because the game very poorly signposts this! You can refine your own quartz in a kiln the way you can smelt bars of gold and copper. It just takes one quartz and one coal.

I only figured this out after accidentally stepping too close to a kiln one day and just happening to have quartz highlighted.

If you have a recycling machine you can also make it out of broken glasses or CDs that you fish up all the time out of the pond in front of the house in the default farm.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I would actually skip upgrading your watering can; if you have an upgraded pickaxe instead and go mining in winter, you’ll find more than enough steel/gold/quartz to build enough sprinklers to compensate. :)

Yeah my number one goal as a farmer is to never have to water my crops again

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Having an upgraded watering can is still nice for when you first hoe a new field and plant your crops there. But it's definitely a low priority upgrade.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I started a new game; @Moriveth forced me to get into bed by 11.30 pm, though, which I really needed although I was itching to play more.

Regular farm. I want to concentrate on landscaping this time so I want the maximum farming space.

Going to really concentrate on wooing all the villagers. Try not to marry anyone until end of the second year. I’d realized in my last game that I’d skipped Alex’s 8 heart event and there was no way to see it after marriage (since his timetable changes, he never goes to the beach in summer, which is what is required to trigger it).

Operation Schmooze Haley in order to make her my dance partner by Spring 24, since I’ve only ever managed to get Shane to 4 hearts by then.

Also going to really push my farming limits; generally my actual crops have been relatively small compared to some farms I’ve seen.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Wontan: Just a quick heads-up about refined quartz because the game very poorly signposts this! You can refine your own quartz in a kiln the way you can smelt bars of gold and copper. It just takes one quartz and one coal.

I only figured this out after accidentally stepping too close to a kiln one day and just happening to have quartz highlighted.

... what the FUCK, game? This is some shit that needs to be taught. I could have had all the sprinklers I need by now, I've been selling quartz like I went to school for quartz-selling.

• Options
    I started a new game; @Moriveth forced me to get into bed by 11.30 pm, though, which I really needed although I was itching to play more.

Regular farm. I want to concentrate on landscaping this time so I want the maximum farming space.

Going to really concentrate on wooing all the villagers. Try not to marry anyone until end of the second year. I’d realized in my last game that I’d skipped Alex’s 8 heart event and there was no way to see it after marriage (since his timetable changes, he never goes to the beach in summer, which is what is required to trigger it).

Operation Schmooze Haley in order to make her my dance partner by Spring 24, since I’ve only ever managed to get Shane to 4 hearts by then.

Also going to really push my farming limits; generally my actual crops have been relatively small compared to some farms I’ve seen.

Good on Mori. Can't have you waking up all low-energy, or worse, passing out while playing and having to pay someone to drag you to bed.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    littlewrenlittlewren Registered User regular
    I just picked the game back up on the Switch after taking an extended break from it on PC and I have to say, what I do and don't remember about strategy is weird. But at the end of the 1st year I've already completed three community center bundles and have at least two hearts with everyone without trying hard or giving any gifts, so that has to count for something.

Also, playing it in mobile mode on the Switch has become my favorite way to play. I guess what I really wanted was Stardew Valley DS. As though I don't already have multiple versions of Rune Factory.

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
    Twitter: @LittleWren42
  • Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

... what the FUCK, game? This is some shit that needs to be taught. I could have had all the sprinklers I need by now, I've been selling quartz like I went to school for quartz-selling.

A good general rule of thumb for Stardew Valley is, I think, knowing that nothing is TOO hard to obtain in this game. The only really hard-to-obtain things are things like the legendary fish (probably prismatic shard for mining) which don't offer the player anything but achievements or kudos. So if a resource seems rarer than it ought to be, there's probably another way to obtain it!

(Btw, only regular, not fire, quartz works in the kilns. Go ahead and sell all your excess fire quartz).

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

A good general rule of thumb for Stardew Valley is, I think, knowing that nothing is TOO hard to obtain in this game. The only really hard-to-obtain things are things like the legendary fish (probably prismatic shard for mining) which don't offer the player anything but achievements or kudos. So if a resource seems rarer than it ought to be, there's probably another way to obtain it!

(Btw, only regular, not fire, quartz works in the kilns. Go ahead and sell all your excess fire quartz).

While not hard, the artifacts can be incredibly rare. Which makes them very time consuming. But I think you get a pretty good heads up on that when you select the item.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    For Leah i just bought salads at the pub to give to her. Easy peasy.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Absolutely; I've had a relatively tough time finding enough artifacts to get the sewer key by the end of the second year!

I mentioned the prismatic shard though because it has a couple of additional purposes to just being another museum submission. While it's nice to add to the museum collection, past obtaining the sewer key most of the artifacts hold little other use. Diamonds can be placed in the Crystalarium (prismatic shards can't), and other gems needed for quests and whatnot are generally easy enough to find.

• Options
    It’s amazing what a difference small things make in this game.

In my new game it’s only Spring 7 yet I’ve already had 4 rainy days! I already have 60 copper ore since I’ve been able to spend a whole day down the mines. Last game I had 2 rainy days in my first spring, and one of those was on day 2 when I couldn’t do much.

Also there’s a lot I originally missed and I’d still be lost without a guide at times. I know it can be more fun to play without a guide but on the other hand I managed to spend an entire in-game year not being able to complete Linus’s blackberry basket quest because it wasn’t until I used a guide that I realized you can walk into the area containing the bus tunnel. I also completely missed two tree stumps in the secret woods for two whole games before I saw someone pointing them out on reddit.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    This game gives me chronic restartitis. I just started a new game on a forest farm. I've still never completed the community centre.

@Aistan where did you get your better portraits mod? I want more buff villagers.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    This game gives me chronic restartitis.

Me toooo

Got Haley to 4 hearts before the Spring Dance! Operation Schmooze Haley was a success

I did also try with Emily and Leah, got Leah to 3 hearts but that was even with fulfilling a request of hers posted outside Pierre's, not sure 4 hearts would be possible without a birthday.

Janson on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I want a mod where all the villager portraits are redrawn Jojo style

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    I want a mod where all the villager portraits are redrawn Jojo style

kUxCchO.jpg

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    WHAT

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
  • Options
    noooooooo

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    What a difference rainy days + plenty of good luck days makes!

End of Spring, Year 1:
    - 3 community center bundles complete
    - level 55 of the mines reached
    - upgraded axe to copper
    - barn built (though no cows)
    - coop built (2 chickens)
    - two villagers at 5 hearts
    - 25 artifacts/gems donated (I got more geodes than in all of my previous games' first months combined)
    - 12 villager requests completed

All of that is pretty unprecedented and it wasn't for lack of trying in other games; I really just lucked out.

Janson on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    This game gives me chronic restartitis. I just started a new game on a forest farm. I've still never completed the community centre.

Aistan where did you get your better portraits mod? I want more buff villagers.

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/888

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Do they have different expressions too?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am 100% not down for swole Clint

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Blackjack wrote: »

Do they have different expressions too?

Yeah, all the default expressions and emotional states are replaced.

E: With expressions and emotional states in that art style, to be specific.

Aistan on
  • Options

Wait, who's the person in the blue shirt with glasses?

It's not Pierre, Gunther, Morris or Harvey, and I can't think of anyone else who wears glasses?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    @Aistan thanks! So many swoonworthy faces.

Willy just take me now :tell_me_more:

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I can't attach tackle to my Fiberglass Rod. I've tried:

1) Going into my inventory, selecting the tackle with A, then moving it over the rod and pressing Y.
    2) Going into my inventory, selecting the tackle with A, then moving it over the rod and pressing A.
    3) Both 1 and 2, but moving the rod over the tackle instead of the other way around.
    4) Outside my inventory, using the right stick to move over the tackle on my hotbar and select it with A, then hovering it over the rod and pressing Y.
    5) Outside my inventory, using the right stick to move over the tackle on my hotbar and select it with A, then hovering it over the rod and pressing A.

The tackle in question is the Dressed Spinner. I've googled this and I keep seeing threads that go like this:

Anon: I can't do the thing!
    The thread: Try (insert description of item #1 on my list).
    Anon: It's still not working!
    The thread: I'm doing it right now on mine and it's working. You just have to (insert description of item #1 on my list).
    Anon: Oh, you're right, that does work.

...but it doesn't work, not on mine. Am I just an idiot?

• Options
    edited January 2018
    No, the fiberglass rod doesn't accept tackle, only bait. You have to wait until the iridium rod unlocks, sorry!

Janson on
  • Options
    No, the fiberglass rod doesn't accept tackle, only bait. You have to wait until the iridium rod unlocks, sorry!

AcCP6MQ.jpg

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    You are not dumb, this is another poorly signposted thing.

The fiberglass rod only has a slot for bait, not tackle. Only the iridium rod has 2 slots, one for bait and one for tackle. I ran into the same issue.

Edit: whoops late!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    By the time you unlock the ability to craft lures, Willy should have a new rod available in the shop. At least, that's how it worked for me.

• Options
    Tip that I didn't realize until this playthrough; might be obvious to others but not to me:

If you're on a level of the mine with cart tracks, follow the cart tracks to the end to find a cart full of coal. Since coal *can* be in short supply otherwise (depending on your luck) this can provide you with a nice little stockpile. This only works for the first time you visit that level, but still. Going through the mines once and checking all carts will yield you over 100 coal this way!

• Options
    ... You didn't know that?

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    ... You didn't know that?

I SAID IT WAS PROBABLY OBVIOUS OK

Like you never just headed for the nearest ladder?

Anyway I got a pig by Fall 13! 10 days for it to reach adulthood means a potential 5 days of truffles, and that allows for a few rainy days, too.

Of course I've not yet found red cabbage at the travelling cart so I might not get the community center complete by the end of Year 1 after all...

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I didn't know that you are mean moriveth

• Options
    Mean Moriveth is what they called me in prison.

But that's mostly because I'm painfully average. They also called me Dickhead.

• Options

But that's mostly because I'm painfully average.

:x

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Your guys' kids are blessed to have a comic genius for a parent.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

Your guys' kids are blessed to have a comic genius for a parent.

"comic"

"genius"

"blessed"

"to"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.