[steam]: Will you be entering the Gungeon? Bullets, lasers, bees, oh my!

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    And while we're at it, this reminded me of @Sir Carcass.
    The Federal Election Commission is questioning Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, for his use of campaign funds to pay for video games on 68 separate occasions — something the congressman is attributing to a mistake by his son, followed by several unauthorized charges.

Hunter listed the $1,302 of Steam Games expenses on his campaign finance disclosure for 2015 year-end, with the notation “personal expense — to be paid back.”

s7Imn5J.png
  • MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Anyone played both Hyper Light Drifter and Enter the Gungeon? Any useful comparisons to be made? Somehow they seem similar to me.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The Federal Election Commission is questioning Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, for his use of campaign funds to pay for video games on 68 separate occasions — something the congressman is attributing to a mistake by his son, followed by several unauthorized charges.

Hunter listed the $1,302 of Steam Games expenses on his campaign finance disclosure for 2015 year-end, with the notation “personal expense — to be paid back.”

Hmmm.....

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    Anyone played both Hyper Light Drifter and Enter the Gungeon? Any useful comparisons to be made? Somehow they seem similar to me.

They aren't similar. Gungeon is a roguelike where you die and repeat and unlock meta stuff similar to Binding of Isaac. Drifter is a traditional story and level based game. Drifter is melee focused generally, Gungeon is well, that's on the tin.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

That is sublime. From the vaping Congressman no less.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Is anyone else having trouble connecting to Steam?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Just the usual Tuesday maintenance Jayson.

Paging @Drake

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

@MadPen

Hyper Light Drifter is more like Legend of Zelda with very deliberate combat. There is all of the backtracking and tons of secrets with items and gear to find. The map is generally open, you can take on the first three bosses in any order you like. Once you beat them you unlock the final area. There's a lot of post game content and a brutal new game+ too. So you can charge through the game with a fairly direct route or you can take your time, it's up to you. There is no dialogue or text, which creates a mysterious vibe. NPCs tell you their tales through a series of pictures, and there is obviously a lot of history to the setting.

Gungeon is a roguelite combining a lot of Binding of Isaac with a bit of Nuclear Throne. The pace feels a tad slower than NT and there are lots of items and such like BoI. It feels really sharp. I haven't played much of it so I can't really comment much on what kind of progression there is. There are lots of blocked off pathways in the character select screen though, so I figure there are the usual entrances to deep levels and unlockable challenges.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    The first sealed off entrance is for a vendor that adds to the item pool, and the currency for them is dropped from bosses. It's similar to how Crypt of the Necrodancer did it with the diamonds.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I've pretty much stopped browsing for new Steam games months ago, and based on what you folks are saying, it sounds like this is the right decision. I actually did have a few good games pop up when I utilized the discovery queue for once during...was that the winter sale?

Regardless, my backlog has been unconquerable for years at this point. I don't need any new games, but that doesn't stop me from being interested when I see something shiny. Stardew Valley is the first game in a while that has really captured my attention.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    header.jpg?t=1456151332

I have completed Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals

I still don't know what the fuck I played.

It wasn't hard, for an adventure game (the use item A on item B stuff was all pretty straight-forward), although it does violate a few of the cardinal sins (time-based objectives which result in a game over) like SUPER early in the game. But from a straight-up narrative perspective, I still don't quite get what's going on. Dystopian future theocratic Paris with alien Egyptian Gods who have nude human bodies with animal heads pulling strings behind the scenes from their floating pyramid? Sure. What the fuck. I don't know.

It's playable. Pass unless you're really into point and click adventure.

I saw this movie!

Immortal Ad Vitam, the entire thing is on YouTube.

Was there a red shark?

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It's all based on a French graphic novel series. It's sooooo totally French.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Figured it out!

Somehow Steam was running in the background after I restarted to finish installing some new drivers- and when it asked if I wanted to launch it in offline or online mode, I hit the x on that window. I just went into the task manager and killed it, and it restarted up just fine.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    It's all based on a French graphic novel series. It's sooooo totally French.

Reading some reviews, apparently the game makes no sense without having read the graphic novels, as there's a bunch of stuff which happens off-screen that the game doesn't explain.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    For someone who tends to follow the Guybrush Threepwood rule of computer game purchases, there are way too many hot games out recently that are just under 20 dollars.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    For someone who tends to follow the Guybrush Threepwood rule of computer game purchases, there are way too many hot games out recently that are just under 20 dollars.

I hate to be that guy but Monkey Island came out in 1990. Adjusted for inflation you're looking at a little over thirty six bucks.

On the plus side this increases your options quite a bit.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    With nearly 500 games, I see no reason to browse Steam at all. I go look up games people talk about here, but other than that, I'm just not that worried unless it's a sale.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Crew went crazy and killed a man, I popped her rather than risk being at 3 crew instead of 4.

edit: That "New Stories" bit, does it actually add anything new to the game.

For the amount of time, echos, and crew I sacrificed on this dead man's tour (name of my metal album), I hope the reward is worth it.

edit again: 1000 echos, not bad, lots of port reports, battled a pirate frigate with 4 crew and 25 hull.

Took Kaiju-A-Gogo off my wishlist due to Total biscuit showing how anti-fun its mechanisms were.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Crew went crazy and killed a man, I popped her rather than risk being at 3 crew instead of 4.

edit: That "New Stories" bit, does it actually add anything new to the game.

It adds a few minor story events mostly dependent on having a Fallen London character having done a few actions. Nothing unique but sometimes very handy for new captains.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772

I hate to be that guy but Monkey Island came out in 1990. Adjusted for inflation you're looking at a little over thirty six bucks.

On the plus side this increases your options quite a bit.

I'm not going to live by updated, currently relevant idioms.

steam_sig.png

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Gungeon is so good. I couldn't get into Nuclear Throne at all, but taking that gameplay and adding in the exploration/variety of Binding of Isaac plus some of the persistence of Crypt of the Necrodancer makes all the difference.

• CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    I'm late to the party, but This War of Mine is really good. My group was upset after I robbed a family for food. Then my scavenger got shot by some survivalists in a church. Now everyone is sad about him dying.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Yall need to stop with Gungeon binding of isaac talks. I'm a sucker for rogue-ish games. Finishing a few games from the backlog, and then hitting some others from January. I don't need more to look into. You're all monsters on the steam payroll...

steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Scratchy wrote: »
    Yall need to stop with Gungeon binding of isaac talks. I'm a sucker for rogue-ish games. Finishing a few games from the backlog, and then hitting some others from January. I don't need more to look into. You're all monsters on the steam payroll...

Gungeon is so good. You should be playing it right now.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Scratchy wrote: »

Gungeon is so good. You should be playing it right now.

Too busy playing what was soooo good a while a go and stupid stuffs that my OCD demands I finish. Someday and sometime I'll be tempted but not today bud.

Pillars of Eternity by the way is super cool from what I've played so far, No spoilers!

steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    But did you know that Enter the Gungeon has both Guns, Dungeons and sexy sexy RNG goodness?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited April 2016
    Haven't beat Teleglitch or Tower of Guns, and they both sport the same sexay gear.

Edit: Borderlands 2 too, randomish, I have so much to accomplish and all the time in the world. Nothing short of Final Fantasy Tactics 2 will convince me to buy a new game.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Good on ya. Stay strong. God speed.

I for one will be playing the part of the petty weakling, and buying DS3 and probably Gungeon as well if I can squeeze it.

KoopahTroopah on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

They probably only are questioning him because he told them about it. Kind of kills the intrigue when that happens, boo.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It's Morning Repost in America! And it looks like it does end Thursday evening.
    Yesterday, I wrote a little review on Comic Book Hero: The Greatest Cape.

Today, I give away a copy of Comic Book Hero: The Greatest Cape.

signature.png

Open for seventy-two hours (until Thursday at 5p CDT) and for PA and PA G&T Adventure Team members.

Steam Thread, assemble!

You're muckin' with a G!

Do not engage the Watermelons.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hey Steam thread! Seems like you folks are playing Enter the Gungeon. When does the item shop open up in the breach? Do you have to save the merchant first like in Necrodancer, or do you have to make it a certain depth in the Gungeon? I suck right now and can't get past floor two... Lead Maidens are tough, yo...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Hey Steam thread! Seems like you folks are playing Enter the Gungeon. When does the item shop open up in the breach? Do you have to save the merchant first like in Necrodancer, or do you have to make it a certain depth in the Gungeon? I suck right now and can't get past floor two... Lead Maidens are tough, yo...

You need to...
    Find a golden key during a floor, and use it to unlock the shopkeeper's cell, which could be on the same floor. There are a few different NPCs jn cells. The shopkeeper is the lady in pink with the huge armored guy locked up with her.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    And while we're at it, this reminded me of Sir Carcass.

68 mistakes is kind of hard to argue.

I wonder if he'll request a refund...

I really really really want to see his profile page.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

I really really really want to see his profile page.

So you can gift him to raise some questions about undeclared campaign fundraising?

steam_sig.png
    The possibilities are endless. :wink:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    I still wouldn't be surprised if it was 68 instances of the kid buying CSGO skins.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    How are people finding Enter the Gungeon on controllers? Figuring out whether I want to pick it up for PC or pair it with my PS4 and my couch

I picked it up on PS4 yesterday and the controller support is wonderful. After watching some PC streams I was concerned that my aim would be shit because, well, my aim is typically shit and the PC setup looks tailor-made for keyboard and mouse. It's not. While you lose the on-screen reticule you get, in my opinion, just the right amount of aim assist.

I've got some rebinding to do because, as noted, blanks on both thumbsticks is silly for as often as I want and need to use them and I'd love to find a way to put movement on the d-pad, but I'm not sure where I'd put weapon switching then (as by default it's left/right on the d-pad).

Also if you, like me, played Isaac and thought "this would be perfect if weren't so religious and gross" then Enter the Gungeon is the game for you. The gross is replaced with adorably deadly living bullets and the religion is replaced with so, so many gun puns and "a gun that can kill the past." It's really something to behold.

camo_sig2.png
    Isorn wrote: »
    I still wouldn't be surprised if it was 68 instances of the kid buying CSGO skins.

qucmbdly5k4kjzfoj5xt.jpg

steam_sig.png

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    How are people finding Enter the Gungeon on controllers? Figuring out whether I want to pick it up for PC or pair it with my PS4 and my couch

I picked it up on PS4 yesterday and the controller support is wonderful. After watching some PC streams I was concerned that my aim would be shit because, well, my aim is typically shit and the PC setup looks tailor-made for keyboard and mouse. It's not. While you lose the on-screen reticule you get, in my opinion, just the right amount of aim assist.

I've got some rebinding to do because, as noted, blanks on both thumbsticks is silly for as often as I want and need to use them and I'd love to find a way to put movement on the d-pad, but I'm not sure where I'd put weapon switching then (as by default it's left/right on the d-pad).

Also if you, like me, played Isaac and thought "this would be perfect if weren't so religious and gross" then Enter the Gungeon is the game for you. The gross is replaced with adorably deadly living bullets and the religion is replaced with so, so many gun puns and "a gun that can kill the past." It's really something to behold.

Rebinding seems to be pretty limited unfortunately, but I do have a comfy setup with what I could rebind. Shoot on R2, Dodge on L2, and O for blanks. I was using O for dodging, but that was dumb... By default, triangle switches weapons. You can hold triangle down to slow down time and pull up a MGS style weapon menu too.

Don't really think movement would work too well on the d-pad, though. You need that analog stick movement when the screen is full o bullets.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
This discussion has been closed.