Options

[Overwatch] Old thread, go to new thread!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Overwatch is TF2 but everyone has their own version of an ubercharge.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The core appeal of MOBAs seemed to be everyone getting to control what felt like a superhero on a small team of superheroes: regular attack, 2-3 abilities, and an ultimate to occasionally shine in a moment of glory. That core (starting with Warcraft 3) was surrounded by a lot of RPG elements. Some liked them, others didn't.

Over the years the trend has been to chip away more and more of the RPG elements. Now with Overwatch they're pretty much entirely gone and you're left with just the core hero concept. You can look at it as either a super streamlined MOBA or an expanded TF2, an old woman or a young lady o_O

26745.gif

MrBody on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I think its really reaching to say this is MOBA anything though.

If you want to see an FPS moba look no further than Monday Night Combat or Battleborn.

The only thing I see that directly correlates with the moba experience is the word "Ultimate" for your big keystone power.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    The only real connection to a MOBA that I see here is that there are a variety of playable characters with different abilities, and it's played in a team setting. I'm sure Blizzard took influence from MOBA style character design when they chose to expand the Team Fortress concept beyond the long established 9 playable characters, or classes (the line has blurred a bit with TF2).

Calling this game a MOBA based just on that, is diluting the description of that genre far beyond anything like removing last hitting, denying, or even gold/item economy. In my opinion anyway.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    They're just continuing with a design trend that Blizzard themselves are responsible for, from Warcraft to Starcraft to Diablo 3: players enjoy / respond well to controlling hero units with a limited pool of skills to work with. It allows for an easier time of balancing and introducing new content when compared to a game like TF2.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Overwatch is firmly in the lineage of class based FPS game with Team Fortress (and Tribes, and Enemy Territory, many others) and virtually nothing about its design DNA required the influence of MOBAs. Even the concept of an "ultimate" skill and a wide roster of unique named characters has roots in fighting games.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I think its really reaching to say this is MOBA anything though.

If you want to see an FPS moba look no further than Monday Night Combat or Battleborn.

The only thing I see that directly correlates with the moba experience is the word "Ultimate" for your big keystone power.

SMNC I still miss youuuuu.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

Maybe now I'll have more reasons to like Widowmaker as a character and not just as a vector by which I can insert bullets into skulls. And also why she seems to like waxing nostalgic in vague terms every time I play as her on King's Row.

488W936.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    What the hell. I just had a match where I was logged out of the game with 30 seconds left, was able to log back in, I rejoin same game, clock is on overtime, and then the match kicks me back the menu screen. I think we were about to win defending King's Row but now I'll never know.

Edit: Game counted it as me leaving early so automatic loss regardless despite the game itself kicking me.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Overwatch is firmly in the lineage of class based FPS game with Team Fortress (and Tribes, and Enemy Territory, many others) and virtually nothing about its design DNA required the influence of MOBAs. Even the concept of an "ultimate" skill and a wide roster of unique named characters has roots in fighting games.

Alright, a whole page of me being called crazy for saying that Overwatch heroes FELT like a moba experience to me so I'll be quiet, but I want to go out protesting that "Overwatch: 0% MOBA, 100% Street Fighter" is even crazier.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So can you still rate players negative? I swear someone said you could but I don't see where to do it

want to rate a guy negative for intentionally afking at the end of the game

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    "tf2 where every character has an uber" is by far the best soundclip description of overwatch so far

because that's exactly what it is, each person gets charge to a game-changing ability by contributing to the game what their role is supposed to do

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I wish you lost some ult charge on death though. Increase target priority, reward smart picks, punish careless play.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I wish you lost some ult charge on death though. Increase target priority, reward smart picks, punish careless play.

And probably annoy me. Pass!

• Options

God no. I was running back into battle today as pharaoh and rocket jumped to get a good view of where I should shoot mah rockets. Right as I pushed jump Mccree ulted. There was nothing I could do as I couldn't fall back down to the ground fast enough to take cover. I would get real salty if I lost a quarter ult charge because I died to that.

See also: happening to run around a corner into a Mccree flash, or a rocket ,or a lucky hook.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    in theory losing ult charge could do work, but so many ults just give free kills that it would make it kind of a rich-get-richer situation

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    And aren't you losing ult charge anyway? You charge faster by hitting and killing people right? So the death and run back time you aren't really charging up

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Negative reinforcement is bad design. Actively punishing a player for failing makes them feel bad, and makes them more likely to stop playing.

Could accomplish something similar by putting a small "cast time" on the ultimate's though. So if everyone is paying attention/they are in a bad position you can kill them before they get it off. That would just be delaying the ult though.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is Widowmaker's accent trying to be french...?

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Future Space French.

And oh no... that robot guy and his dream of a future where humans and robots are banging.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So, uh, is Zenyatta canonically dead or...?

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    That wasn't Zenyatta, he wasn't floating. I'm pretty sure Zenyatta floats all the time. That's my head-canon anyway.

• Options
    I am an Omnic racist, they all look alike to me.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf35MjrH_ns
    Just for you

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Nah they just swapped out whatever part was broken. Sort of a silly idea to snipe a robot tbh. If you're going to assassinate a robot I would imagine explosives would be the key.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Nah they just swapped out whatever part was broken. Sort of a silly idea to snipe a robot tbh. If you're going to assassinate a robot I would imagine explosives would be the key.

Maybe we're supposed to assume not-Zanyatta-Omnic-monk-robutt-dude's "brain" (CPU/hard drive) is in his head? And, um, Omnic monks don't make regular backups to the cloud because it's against their religion... or something?

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

Maybe we're supposed to assume not-Zanyatta-Omnic-monk-robutt-dude's "brain" (CPU/hard drive) is in his head? And, um, Omnic monks don't make regular backups to the cloud because it's against their religion... or something?

I figure we're supposed to make quite a few assumptions in this particular short if we're trying to have it actually make sense. But as a fun short it's fine :)

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I still really don't like the female animation skeletons

Everyone but Zarya and Mei* have crazy long gazelle legs and they don't really look very good in movement, they're stuck with these weird long loping, very upright, weightless run cycles.

Compare that to the male characters whose more anatomically plausible legs actually usually look really good in motion.

*and while Mei's legs are OK they will never ever be able to animate her outside of her coat because that whole... thing just does not make any sense.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2016
    So, uh, is Zenyatta canonically dead or...?

That was probably Zenyatta's dead teacher in his lore.

Echo on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    yeah, I don't think that was Zenyatta. I think they said his name in there somewhere and while I didn't catch it it definitely didn't sound like Zenyatta

also he doesn't look like Zenyatta

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    yeah, I don't think that was Zenyatta. I think they said his name in there somewhere and while I didn't catch it it definitely didn't sound like Zenyatta

I thought they only said "Halo" which I assumed was a codename sort of like the ones the US Secret Service has for the President and other key governmental figures.

• Options
    Years ago, following the Omnic Crisis, a group of outcast omnic robots experienced what they described as a spiritual awakening. They abandoned their preprogrammed lives to establish a communal monastery deep in the Himalayas. After many years of meditation on the nature of existence, they came to the belief that they were more than artificial intelligences and that, like humans, they possessed the essence of a soul.

Recognizing the spiritual equality they held with humans, the monks, led by the enigmatic robot known as Tekhartha Mondatta, sought to heal the wounds caused by the Omnic Crisis a generation earlier and bring humans and robots back into societal harmony. Their message was embraced by millions around the world, and they became global celebrities.

But one monk, Zenyatta, disagreed with this new direction. He believed that the way to repair the problems between humans and omnics was not through dogmatic teaching but through interpersonal connection and engagement.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I thought they only said "Halo" which I assumed was a codename sort of like the ones the US Secret Service has for the President and other key governmental figures.

The crowd chants his name before he takes the stage. I couldn't make out the first syllable, but the last two are --yatta.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Zenyatta's page doesn't mention a dead teacher any more, but I'm pretty sure I didn't make that up.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Zenyatta's page doesn't mention a dead teacher any more, but I'm pretty sure I didn't make that up.

Listening more intently on the crowd in the beginning, it definitely sounds like the crowd is chanting "Mondatta". So your backstory quoted above seems like it makes sense in the context of what we're seeing in that video (that Mondatta is Zenyatta's assassinated teacher).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    the overwatch twitter says it's the mondatta guy

I guess widowmaker just seems like kind of a jerk? Inner monologue didn't help with that much.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    the overwatch twitter says it's the mondatta guy

I guess widowmaker just seems like kind of a jerk? Inner monologue didn't help with that much.

Well, she's a brainwashed terrorist assassin-for-hire, so...

This discussion has been closed.