As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony & Microsoft had a mid-cycle crisis: The Aftermath

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    If it supports dolby vision hdr, I'm in, it'll save me buying a stand alone Uhd player and I can justify it that way.

It looks an impressive piece of kit though from the tech specs, but I'm guessing it's success will depend heavily on the price.

Also if general opinion of Xbox exclusives mirrors my own then I doubt it's going to sway too many existing ps4 owners.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2017
    Out of curiosity, what price would a PC with similar specs run?

As for me, I'm intrigued, but as someone who doesn't have a 4K TV and can barely recognize the difference between 30FPS and 60 (if at all; the only time I remember noticing frame rate was in The Hobbit versus other movies), I'm not sure what this can do for me.

just keep your xbox one or 1s. If you dont have a 4k tv and you don't feel like xbox one games have framerate issues, this is not a thing made for you.

Every single game coming out for the next couple / few years is going to run on both XB1 and Scorpio unless it is VR.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

As for me, I'm intrigued, but as someone who doesn't have a 4K TV and can barely recognize the difference between 30FPS and 60 (if at all; the only time I remember noticing frame rate was in The Hobbit versus other movies), I'm not sure what this can do for me.

just keep your xbox one or 1s. If you dont have a 4k tv and you don't feel like xbox one games have framerate issues, this is not a thing made for you.

Every single game coming out for the next couple / few years is going to run on both XB1 and Scorpio unless it is VR.

Or for all time until the next traditional console generation, considering the modest reception of PS4 Pro.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

Or for all time until the next traditional console generation, considering the modest reception of PS4 Pro.

I think there will no longer be a traditional console generation from either Sony or MS.

I think you buy the box you can afford, there will be two main models for each brand on the shelf (not counting bundles, hard drive sizes, etc), and every couple of years they drop the old one off the bottom and add a new one on the top.

And I am guessing that there will be new games released for up to three iterations back (6-8 years), but the only requirement will be the two most recent (4-5 years).

Consoles are going to go the way of cellphones. Which ultimately may not be a bad thing if it means backwards compatibility is no longer a question.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There will have to be a traditional generation at some point. They can't exactly come up with the PS4 Proer, nor keep up the "No one left behind" promise. Something will eventually give, they'll tell the old consoles to start walking the green mile, and that is effectively a generation jump.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It's interesting. The market can't afford to become divided, especially in this age of plummeting numbers of AAA games, but I'm not sure the industry could even support another traditional generation. The skyrocketing AAA development costs for the last two generations has laid waste to dozens of companies, and I'm not sure even the survivors have the manpower to really take advantage of even more power (beyond just turning up the resolution). One easy fix would be to finally give up on the dream of using every ounce of a system's power, but then the question is, why would we need a new traditional generation at all, then? Plus we're really up against the wall of diminishing returns (especially for the people who aren't us who make up most of the market), new features can easily be patched in, etc.

I'd argue that's why we're getting Pro/Scorpio at all. Come up with an easy way for developers to use more power, give a reason for non-tech nerds to perceive an upgrade, etc. Otherwise the solution is to just never have a new console generation at all, and eventually Microsoft and Sony would run out of people to sell consoles to.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    They'll keep the generational upgrade moments because they can launch a new console with bigger fanfare than they can launch the scorpio. The amount of artificial fervor and hype you could get for the PS4 vs the PSFro was enormous.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hard to say; prior to 2013 many, many people were worried that it was going to be the last generation; everyone was worried about mobile, and they didn't have a good "hook" for selling those boxes besides "It'll look better."

But then they went on to sell faster than the machines of last generation did.

I think Sony will make a clean break for PS5 (hopefully not anytime soon), but I can see Microsoft being a bit more contiguous. Keeping their library forwards compatible for the foreseeable future, by sticking to the x86 architecture. THey'll have to move beyond the One/S line, but I can see having the Scorpio take the place of the One/S when the next machine (The Gemini?), so there's always two teirs of machines on the market, and they'll always play the latest games. When a new machine comes out, the oldest machine ceases production. and the previous "new" machine becomes the new "old" machine.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Hard to say; prior to 2013 many, many people were worried that it was going to be the last generation; everyone was worried about mobile, and they didn't have a good "hook" for selling those boxes besides "It'll look better."

I think Sony will make a clean break for PS5 (hopefully not anytime soon), but I can see Microsoft being a bit more contiguous. Keeping their library forwards compatible for the foreseeable future, by sticking to the x86 architecture. THey'll have to move beyond the One/S line, but I can see having the Scorpio take the place of the One/S when the next machine (The Gemini?), so there's always two teirs of machines on the market, and they'll always play the latest games. When a new machine comes out, the oldest machine ceases production. and the previous "new" machine becomes the new "old" machine.

I definitely see this as the route for both companies if they don't change architecture (or at least anytime soon). Makes the most sense although I think there might still be some folks that buy a game and wonder why it won't work on their PS4 or XboxOne and that's because they have the original model that's just not supported anymore. I think it will be a challenge for both companies to communicate to the general public that the original console will not play games released after date XX/XX/20XX.

• Options
    Bolthorn wrote: »

I definitely see this as the route for both companies if they don't change architecture (or at least anytime soon). Makes the most sense although I think there might still be some folks that buy a game and wonder why it won't work on their PS4 or XboxOne and that's because they have the original model that's just not supported anymore. I think it will be a challenge for both companies to communicate to the general public that the original console will not play games released after date XX/XX/20XX.

nah, you address this through proper packaging.

Games for the scorpio will come in a slightly different box I assume that says (plays on xbox one, best with scorpio)

When the xbox goldmember comes out, it will clearly state that the game plays on goldmember and scorpio.

If digital continues to take over it will get even easier, as they can just not let you buy the game if the system isnt compatible - maybe direct the person on how to upgrade.

There are all sorts of ios and android apps that dont work on 5 year old phones; people are smarter than maybe we give them credit for? This can be messaged well enough.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Bolthorn wrote: »

Yep. I'm betting the next Playstation will be a PS5, but it'll still be a basically the same playstation with upgraded hardware guts, running essentially the same OS as today's PS4 and will be 100% backwards compatible with the current games. Essenatially the same route that XBone/Scorpio is going. If Scorpio makes a buzz in social media, Sony will likely announce the New! Improved! Backwards-Compatible! PS5! about a month before Scorpio hits the streets, in an attempt to take some wind out of MS' sail.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Sony isn't going to announce the PS5 this fall, are you crazy?

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

Nah he isn't (check the username :))

You can bet Sony is going to counter program to this. Microsoft might have given them more enough lead in time to secure some exclusive and get some big releases out for the holidays.

Personally, I still can't believe they didn't put an UHD player in the Pro.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i can easily see a price cut for the PS4 Pro to counter Scorpio, perhaps a Call of Duty bundle in time for the holidays. they might give PSVR more of a push too since it doesn't look like MS will being doing anything in that space till next year. i think it's really going to come to down to what both have to show at E3. plenty of people have commented on MS being quite about their upcoming slate, but Sony haven't exactly been shouting about what they'll be releasing in the last half of the year either.

• Options

You can bet Sony is going to counter program to this. Microsoft might have given them more enough lead in time to secure some exclusive and get some big releases out for the holidays.

Common belief is that falling disc sales means the death of discs due to streaming, but that ignores a lot of people have shitty internet speeds or bandwidth caps.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

They could possibly undercut the Scorpio by releasing a version of the pro that's slightly more powerful that the original pro and has a UHD. Sort of how "slim" models always have a very modest power upgrade.

Honestly I'd love that. I like my X1 and don't really feel the need to upgrade, but would love to get a PS4 for some of its exclusives. That said, I have a 4K TV and refuse to buy another console that can't make use of that when I want to use it to watch a movie (streaming isn't acceptable if I want to watch 4K, it doesn't even do 1080p justice compared to a bluray).

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    If they released an upgraded Pro it would probably just piss off those who got it first. Maybe make a UHD attachment like the HD DVD thing for the 360.

• Options
    If they released an upgraded Pro it would probably just piss off those who got it first. Maybe make a UHD attachment like the HD DVD thing for the 360.

How much would that cost, though?

• Options
    ??? I dunno. Are there drives like that for PCs?

• Options

? Around 80 bucks or so. Hard to find one that isn't also a burner.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

UHD BD? I can only find standard BD-R/RW drives for PC. For UHD BD players, all I can find are set-top boxes for around $200.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

UHD BD? I can only find standard BD-R/RW drives for PC. For UHD BD players, all I can find are set-top boxes for around $200.

Oh right, duh. Was looking at regular BR drives :biggrin:

So yeah. Probably pretty expensive.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

Sony's "counter program" is their Red Dead Redemption 2, Battlefront 2, Destiny 2 and Call of Duty WWII co-marketing deals (and probable bundles). By far the biggest four games of the year and they're going to have PS4 all over their marketing. Well, they'll have those and probably another price drop.

I think Sony and Microsoft have two different visions moving forward:
    - Sony with a more traditional generational approach, just with mid-gen upgrades added to keep the hardcore interested. Aside from any PS4/Pro revisions, I think the PS5 will definitely be the next system out of Sony but that won't be till 2019/20. Cross-gen will be an even bigger thing than it was last time around, maybe even with the PS4, Pro and PS5 support all on the one disc but there will be PS5 exclusives that won't be playable on the PS4/Pro, with Sony transitioning over to PS5 quickly, while third parties do whatever they want.
    - Microsoft will have the one explained earlier, that's similar to the way phone generations work. They push out a new system and then support it and their last system. I can't see "no-one left behind" being a thing with the Scorpio/XB3 though, because how do you support the Scorpio when the PS5/XB3 are out with far superior CPUs and Sony's letting devs drop PS4/Pro support?

No way does Sony announce the PS5 any time soon though. There's absolutely no reason for them to panic, not when they just had their best holiday season ever (better than even the PS2's peak), they're winning by over 2:1 and are still going strong. The Scorpio will probably make Microsoft more competitive in the US and UK but it's not going to suddenly turn things around.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Yeah, it would be weird if developers had to make games for a variety of configurations and have tools to scale the game accordingly. If only there were some platform like that for devs to cut their teeth on, some architecture they could follow in a somewhat uniform fashion.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, it would be weird if developers had to make games for a variety of configurations and have tools to scale the game accordingly. If only there were some platform like that for devs to cut their teeth on, some architecture they could follow in a somewhat uniform fashion.

Uh, that's my point? They won't be able to enforce a "no-one left behind" policy on Scorpio/XB3, they'll have to make it a free-for-all like the PC, where developers can support whichever configurations they want.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Uh, that's my point? They won't be able to enforce a "no-one left behind" policy on Scorpio/XB3, they'll have to make it a free-for-all like the PC, where developers can support whichever configurations they want.

The major difference is there's nobody able to say "if you want access to this market of millions upon millions of potential customers, you will adhere to this requirement" on PC gaming. Console manufacturers absolutely can and do.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

The major difference is there's nobody able to say "if you want access to this market of millions upon millions of potential customers, you will adhere to this requirement" on PC gaming. Console manufacturers absolutely can and do.

Of course but they also can't be unreasonable with those demands, especially now that they're in distant second place. If Sony gives developers the option of making cross-gen PS4/Pro/PS5 games OR proper next gen only PS5 games, you really think Microsoft's going to turn around and say "nope, every game still has to support the Scorpio and its ancient Jaguar CPU"? Not going to happen.

• Options

Of course but they also can't be unreasonable with those demands, especially now that they're in distant second place. If Sony gives developers the option of making cross-gen PS4/Pro/PS5 games OR proper next gen only PS5 games, you really think Microsoft's going to turn around and say "nope, every game still has to support the Scorpio and its ancient Jaguar CPU"? Not going to happen.

PC Devs already do that though, and a much wider range of hardware.

• Options
    GeorgFourGeorgFour Registered User new member
    Console gaming is getting hotter i see : ) Scorpio techs are awesome but what would be PlayStation NEO And Nintendo NX :))

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

See: the Wii U's non existent third party game library.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Analysts are projecting that Scorpio could cost between 600-700. That's an insane price and I don't see it happening. I know Microsoft sold the original Xbox at a loss for some time to get a foot in the door. I'm honestly struggling to see how it would do well at that range, and I'm enthusiastic about the thing.
    If they get it closer to 500 it would do much better, especially going into Xmas where it will no doubt be a hot ticket item. I'm prepared to go up to 600 for the thing but not stoked on doing so... and if so it better last me another 6-7 years.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Analysts are projecting that Scorpio could cost between 600-700. That's an insane price and I don't see it happening. I know Microsoft sold the original Xbox at a loss for some time to get a foot in the door. I'm honestly struggling to see how it would do well at that range, and I'm enthusiastic about the thing.
    If they get it closer to 500 it would do much better, especially going into Xmas where it will no doubt be a hot ticket item. I'm prepared to go up to 600 for the thing but not stoked on doing so... and if so it better last me another 6-7 years.

But the entire point of a new shorter console cycle is that while it will last you that long you will be playing an uglier and probably dumb downed version of the new hotness. So are you ok with playing the second class version of the game?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

But the entire point of a new shorter console cycle is that while it will last you that long you will be playing an uglier and probably dumb downed version of the new hotness. So are you ok with playing the second class version of the game?

If you're playing on Xbox you're already doing this anyways

There are no more exclusives and everything will run better on PC

So it's pretty much a given that you'd have to be okay with that (I would be, if I purchased a Scorpio)

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

If you're playing on Xbox you're already doing this anyways

There are no more exclusives and everything will run better on PC

So it's pretty much a given that you'd have to be okay with that (I would be, if I purchased a Scorpio)

Playing on consoles period is a second class experience so I guess I should have really said a third class experience.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    I don't mind that, honestly, because if I did I would plop down close to a grand on a PC and say fuck it. But I don't want to do that and like the simplicity of consoles. If in five years, games are chugging on my Scorpio, it would suck but I'd have gotten 5 good years of use out of the thing (on top of the 4 years I've gotten out of my Xbone). The 360 was an anomaly that stretched that generation out nearly 8 years, that's a great value (if you never had to replace the console, which many did).

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Do we have any rough idea of what an approximate PC equivalent to Scorpio (spec-wise) would cost?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    First we gotta figure out how many GameCube taped together this baby is and work back from there

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Do we have any rough idea of what an approximate PC equivalent to Scorpio (spec-wise) would cost?

Kind of hard to say off hand.

Though I feel confident enough to say $1000 would get you a gaming rig hands down better than any of the consoles and their upgraded counterparts. One that could possibly last you even through next-gen and even if it didn't the price to upgrade to make it better would probably be cheaper than buying a next-gen console.

Back in the day PC gaming was pretty pricey. New upgrades were coming out all the time, games kept pushing and pushing the hardware and it felt like every time you upgraded your PC you were already behind the times.

Nowadays though most games are multi-platform and go off the lowest common denominator so once you make that initial investment in to a gaming PC you're unlikely to actually have to upgrade for a long, long time. Even then it's not like you have to throw down big money again all at once. Some RAM here (super cheap and easy), a video card there (the most expensive thing probably), every once in a great while a CPU and even rarer a motherboard.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    I think the roadmap of following smartphones for hardware is a false economy. People are starting to move away from premium hardware for smartphones for mid tier lower priced models with many manufacturers struggling for sales and slowing down on model releases.

It does make me wonder, with the push for PC hardware to be more simplified modular builds we could see this being the real competition for Sony and Microsoft on the console front.

• Options
    A comparable pc would cost $purple

as in, there really isnt a direct line.

Optimized games that lean in DX12 will perform like you have a 1070 or 1080 in th ebos, meaning the a PC built around such a card easily sets you back a grand or more before you factor in displays, etc.

Multiplatform games that don't build a DirectX version (whidh would be odd if they also target PC) would perform far less well.

SW-4158-3990-6116