As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Season 11 on 7/20, Challenge Rifts & Necromancer - Patch 2.6 IS LIVE

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    While the writing in the story itself isn't much to write home about, I think there's a lot of opportunity for more story-themed content in the way of, at a minimum, the follower stories. Learning more about the god of thieves or the continuing story with Lyndon's brother would be very welcome. For that matter, add some more companions and flesh their stories out. None of that requires the creation of new zones or creatures (just characters and voice assets obviously).

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't want more of the Diablo story exactly... especially from those writers, but more story involving the lore of the Diablo universe could/would be tight.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I'm assuming folks who played the Necro are burned out on him now? I got one to 20 and absolutely loved it so I stopped because I didn't want to grind him to 60 and then have to start over again when he gets released.

I didn't burn out on the necro on my time spent in the beta. I even got up to ~100 paragon points and enjoyed it the whole way through. But I was only interested in the pet build so that helped.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    I don't care much about campaigns. Maybe that makes me the minority but I'm there for the mechanics and sweet, sweet loot.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I'm assuming folks who played the Necro are burned out on him now? I got one to 20 and absolutely loved it so I stopped because I didn't want to grind him to 60 and then have to start over again when he gets released.

I'm not burnt out on Necro at all, they're by far my new favorite for the 1-70 stretch at least, and there's a couple interesting options at 70 already. I'm excited to see what else the community will come up with.

I messed around with the pet set and inarius a bit, but skipped blood. Seems like it'd be annoying to use compared to just having the direct buff to bone armor and similar damage without the HP costs.

And while I also skipped Pestilence 6, I spent a lot of time with the goal of making a 2pc corpse lance build with Sage's. Wiz and Chicken doc are probably better, but it's still pretty fun... and it's hilarious while Land of the Dead is active.

Actially kinda looking forward to playing campaign again with Necro, it's been so long since I did. Figure I'll do that and maybe a few of the class achievements before the season then I can keep focus on the s11 journey.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm sorry that my post wasn't clear. I saw people posting a lot about how they got all the gear and did a ton of Paragon levels and whatnot and kinda "finished" playing as him. Whereas I went in, loved it, and then immediately stopped because I have a habit of playing the living SHIT out of something I enjoy and then burning myself out on it in a week or two.

Which is what I plan on doing with the Necro.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    That's why I don't play in betas much anymore. I won't play enough to find bugs or give decent feedback, so I don't want to burn out on new stuff (while being disappointed in the bugs/issues I do find)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Narrative content is what motivates me to keep playing a game. Warframe has entirely subsumed the role Diablo used to fill in my gaming library, in large part because Warframe continues to release small story quests every few months.

The quests are short and filled with time wasting filler. They almost exclusively use assets that have been recycled from some other part of the game. What little voice acting exists is performed by the game's programming and marketing staff.

And I still eat that shit up because I love lore and hunger for it always.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Got into Diablo for the HotS cross promotion two days ago. Blasted to level 70 and figured I'd complete the season armor set. Then I find out this morning, as I start chapter 4, that the season ends today. D'oh. No way I can get all of chapter 4 done in the 3-4 hours I'll have. :X

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Got into Diablo for the HotS cross promotion two days ago. Blasted to level 70 and figured I'd complete the season armor set. Then I find out this morning, as I start chapter 4, that the season ends today. D'oh. No way I can get all of chapter 4 done in the 3-4 hours I'll have. :X

I'm sure somebody could carry you pretty quickly if they had done the season - if not, there's non-season carrying through rifts.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Crap, I forgot to clear out my stash... Oh well, guess I'll be playing the painful cleaning game then.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Darkewolfe are you in the clan? Add my btag and I'll help you out

Edit: Noggin#1936

Noggin on
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I'm sure somebody could carry you pretty quickly if they had done the season - if not, there's non-season carrying through rifts.

I mean Chapter 4 of the seasonal stuff to get the season armor. Big things I'd need, I think, are GR30 solo and the four keywardens. Those are just time sinks.

Edit: I was in the clan at one point, though I was probably kicked for inactivity. I'll check. I'm Lonenut in there.

Edit edit: Lonenut#1671

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    You just need to solo GR20 for chapter 4

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Noggin wrote: ยป
    You just need to solo GR20 for chapter 4

Oh, hmm. I was looking at a weird list. I still need to kill one boss in 3 to get 4, So I thought there were a ton of things I had to do.

How hard is soloing GR20?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I think that soloing GR20 after you have the rewards from the first 3 chapters of the Season Journey is pretty easy. If I remember right it's about the equivalent of Torment 4? So it shouldn't be too bad even if your gear other than the free stuff is pretty bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    i would look up a guide for your free set + GR20, you should be able to google a specific skill setup to do it easily

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I dunno. 15$ just for the necro, playing the same content I've played too much already ehhhh.. PoE's next expansion is free and adds a shitload of content.

Also looking back on D3 as a whole, it's kind of dumb how they tried to make a different ressource system for each character because in the end all characters pretty much handle the same way: spammy abilities, and abilities that drain your ressource. The way your ressource orb looks is 100% fluff.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I like PoE and their financial model much better, but its too hardcore for me even on softcore. I keep dying and their lag is insane, esepecially with deaths wiping you of more and more of your exp. I forget what the term is for lag there but I remember you couldn't use certain abilities because it would trigger lag spikes and you'd be dead. Hopefully the lag is better, but I like being able to die.

I think the map system is cooler than the GR system though.

38thDoE on steam
    ๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I dunno. 15$ just for the necro, playing the same content I've played too much already ehhhh.. PoE's next expansion is free and adds a shitload of content.

Also looking back on D3 as a whole, it's kind of dumb how they tried to make a different ressource system for each character because in the end all characters pretty much handle the same way: spammy abilities, and abilities that drain your ressource. The way your ressource orb looks is 100% fluff.

That's one of the holdovers from vanilla that doesn't make a lot of sense anymore after all the fundamental design changes in 2.0. They used to be quite strict about making the player generate resources and wait for cooldowns. Then they decided to go hog wild with legendary powers and let people spam their best abilities pretty easily. Plus the overall pace of the game increased by an order of magnitude. In hindsight I think they went too far, I remember liking the idea of D3 lowering the run speed and enforcing cooldowns because D2 had also been so hectic.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: ยป

That's one of the holdovers from vanilla that doesn't make a lot of sense anymore after all the fundamental design changes in 2.0. They used to be quite strict about making the player generate resources and wait for cooldowns. Then they decided to go hog wild with legendary powers and let people spam their best abilities pretty easily. Plus the overall pace of the game increased by an order of magnitude. In hindsight I think they went too far, I remember liking the idea of D3 lowering the run speed and enforcing cooldowns because D2 had also been so hectic.

I think the pendulum swung more toward the chaotic because that's what more people prefer (myself included). When shit goes crazy and I'm mowing down dozens at a time is when I enjoy the game the most.

• Options
    It's a bit unfortunate that the faster pace encourages rushing most content, like Bounties, DB farming rifts, keywardens, leveling gems...

But at least the option exists to slow it down. T12-13 feels like a pretty good pace for most builds without being a mad dash, and there's always higher GRs.

It makes for a pretty good mix of things you can do.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: ยป

I think the pendulum swung more toward the chaotic because that's what more people prefer (myself included). When shit goes crazy and I'm mowing down dozens at a time is when I enjoy the game the most.

Well, vanilla D3 was unquestionably bad game design, for a long list of reasons. One of the bigger problems was that legendaries were all trash and itemization boiled down to nothing more than making your stats go up. 2.0 was a big improvement in making legendaries reasonably common, with much better stats than rares and with many interesting abilities. I would have liked to have played the game with those improvements but not going all the way into maximum chaos. One of my complaints with the game now is that every enemy is the same as every other enemy, none of them require a change in playstyle and they all exist simply to be blown up in droves. It gets old after a while.

I wonder if there could have been a way to do both, and let people play in chaos mode or a more restrained challenge mode.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I'm on the fence about it, but I think I prefer Diablo 3's adjusted, more frantic pacing. I like more ponderous combat in general, but I have other games for that. This scratches a separate and distinct itch. Sometimes, I just need to act like procedurally generated dungeons are fields and I am a lawnmower.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Noggin wrote: ยป
    It's a bit unfortunate that the faster pace encourages rushing most content, like Bounties, DB farming rifts, keywardens, leveling gems...

But at least the option exists to slow it down. T12-13 feels like a pretty good pace for most builds without being a mad dash, and there's always higher GRs.

It makes for a pretty good mix of things you can do.

Yeah the pace slows down a lot when you are pushing GRs. D3 does a good job of having very fast paced action at lower difficulties and slower paced, challenging content when you are pushing the limit of your character's GR potential.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    So, yeah. Chapter 4 does NOT just require completing GR20 or whatever. It has 12 steps, including finding all the key wardens and stuff.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    They probably meant that's the only step you need to solo. The rest you can be carried through.

38thDoE on steam
    ๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€

• Options
    Ah, ya I meant "just 20" as in "not 30"

• Options
    Well, I'm on and could use some carrying through Belial T4, or rifts just to get greater rift stones. I've got greater rift at 15, though I can't beat it fast yet.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    are you not in the TMH clan? I am online now but I don't see you.

add me on bnet: ALWATTS#1320 I can run you through stuff quick.

edit: not seeing a response. I gotta run some errands so... season will probably be done (theres only like 1 - 2 hrs left) before I get back

Al_wat on
  • Options
    @Al_wat sorry, I was in a rift. :( Thanks for offering!

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    @Al_wat sorry, I was in a rift. :( Thanks for offering!

I'm on now if you need blasting through something. Thera#1284 if you're not in clan

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Noggin saved my bacon and invited me to the clan. Made it with 30 minutes to spare, ha!

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Too expensive for just a new class.

• Options
    I'm gonna buy it but I am way less excited than I thought I would be, and I've wanted Necro in D3 since day one.

I'm honestly more excited about PoE 3.0

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Tell you what I'd pay 20 for this expansion if it included an auto sort thing for the stash

Like if it went through every tab and, say, automatically organized legendary items by item type and organized set by class that would be worth some money to me

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i was kinda bored with all the D3 classes with only the witch doctor really interesting me, and even there it was only for zombie bears (which i never leveled to as i got bored as mentioned). if i am reading between the lines enough it sounds like the necro is a lot of fun but potentially not enough content for $15? i think i'd have fun with diablo if i had a class i actually wanted to play so i think it'd be worthwhile in my case.

• Options
    Your post kinda reads like the classes aren't the problem and maybe you don't really like the game itself?

If it truly was just the classes then I'd say check out some videos of necro gameplay on YouTube or twitch. Only you can guess if the necro would redeem the game for you.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    $15 seems great for a totally optional class DLC. If you want to play more Diablo 3 and think you'll like the Necromancer, buy it! If you hate diablo 3 or think necromancers seem dumb, then definitely don't! I would love for this to lead to more $15 class DLC -- to me it's a ton of content for a pretty reasonable price. Obviously if there is a class that seems lame I will skip it, and be no worse off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I think the greater problem is there really isn't a whole lot of build variety in each class. and you basically have to farm up another whole set and/or legendaries to get a build even operational. So you basically have to play whichever build youve managed to get drops for instead of what you want to play, and there might not even be a set of gear that makes the skills you think are interesting even good past like T1.

Regarding the necro, like wtf does it bring different to the table than a witch doctor. zombies vs skeletons and curses vs poison? They are the same thing. Druid would have been a much more interesting pick as it can go caster or melee and either spells or shapeshifting.

This discussion has been closed.