Options

[MSPA & Undertale] Yes, Homestuck is actually over | Vol. 10 out now

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    He probably cut his hair into the shape of a bird.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    He probably cut his hair into the shape of a bird.

dave was ahead of the irony curb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHmLljk2t8M

• Options
    laurentheflutelaurentheflute Leader of The Returners AustinRegistered User regular
    Excuse me guys I know we are Homestucking and that is important but I have had an absolutely miserable week and then this happened and it is going to be ok because goatmom is here

a61flp81fsnd.jpg

(at least I hope it is going to be ok but anyway I'm a huge dork, if that was ever in question)

I got self-conscious about having a self-promotional signature. Now I don't have one anymore. HI, I'M LAUREN, I PLAY MUSIC AND VIDEO GAMES
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Keep your head up, Lauren. Cute photo!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    oh wait, shit

i get the ending now

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Homestuck ending
    Game Over was never the alpha timeline, remember? Aranea knocked everything into a doomed offshoot as soon as she claimed the life ring. She was convinced she could use her powers to "heal" the timeline and make a new alpha, because lord english defined what the alpha timeline was, and she thought that by creating something new and separate, she could free everyone from him.

And it was a good idea, but she lacked the ability to do it. But John didn't.

The John from that timeline, the doomed one, claimed mastery over the retjohn skills. As a result, John from every other timeline was killed off, merging every instance of john into one entity that could hop around the timeline at will, and drag in elements from doomed offshoots as necessary

the john that we stick with is the john form a doomed timeline. It didn't follow the prescribed rules of how Lord English dictated the "story" should go, which meant everyone was supposed to slowly die off before that strand of reality faded into obscurity. But John forced the issue, and replaced Alpha John, who died during the 3 year journey. And he decided that in the alpha timeline, vriska doesn't die. which has a cascade of effects that turns the entire story into a paradox. Because if Vriska doesn't die, Gamzee doesn't get to roam free. And if Gamzee doesn't get to roam free, he doesn't get to raise Caliborn. If Caliborn doesn't get raised, he doesn't win his dead session and become the Lord of Time, and doesn't set into motion the chain of events that drive the entire story. The claymation never happens because John's rendered Lord English non-canon. His influence is erased from the universe, which happens literally when Calliope obliterates the green sun. Vriska opening the juju was a formality, John used the weapon to destory LE the second he touched it.

Unlike time travel, retcon powers are allowed to generate time paradoxes. Karkat talks in the lab in act 4 about how the Ultimate Riddle is about predestination and inevitability, because since everything is a time loop, if you don't do exactly what you're supposed to at every given moment, nothing could have happened the way it's supposed to. That sort of predestination is Lord English's primary weapon, and it's the weapon that the homestuck juju made john immune to. that's why Collide ends with the window behind the curtains fading to static, because this timeline is no longer the "canon" story set out by Lord English, but a new canon willed into existence by John.

and then from there you can obviously map a whole bunch of thematic stuff about john growing up and learning how to self-determinate and etc. but logistically, that's what happened at the end of homestuck. John made Lord English non-canon, and his non-canon sister obliterated the part of paradox space that he'd operated in to erase his influence from ever having existed.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    SR: Ascend to Godhood!

tumblr_mvqw3uIlz51rkxixbo1_500.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    i'm actually a lot more at peace with the ending now!

'course it still should've been wayyyyyy more explicit about like, any of that

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    shit
    I think you're actually right

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That has the kind of feeling that - well basically I'm sure Andrew (who is completely embedded in the story) would be like "yeah, obviously" and to a more casual reader it's like wait what

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    So Vriska does get sucked into the black hole.

Finally.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    But can even a black hole contain her mighty girth?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    (i was not expecting to find godhead bidoof inspector when i started that google search but thank you, mspa fandom, i knew i could believe in u)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    MirroMirro Registered User regular
    all this talk reminded me of the andrew's formspring and the popularity that it reached

more specifically,

that at one point, googling "formspring" returned Formspring's actual homepage as only the second result

the first, was the MSPA formspring

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    ChvkJl8VEAUp5p3.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Homestuck ending
    Game Over was never the alpha timeline, remember? Aranea knocked everything into a doomed offshoot as soon as she claimed the life ring. She was convinced she could use her powers to "heal" the timeline and make a new alpha, because lord english defined what the alpha timeline was, and she thought that by creating something new and separate, she could free everyone from him.

And it was a good idea, but she lacked the ability to do it. But John didn't.

The John from that timeline, the doomed one, claimed mastery over the retjohn skills. As a result, John from every other timeline was killed off, merging every instance of john into one entity that could hop around the timeline at will, and drag in elements from doomed offshoots as necessary

the john that we stick with is the john form a doomed timeline. It didn't follow the prescribed rules of how Lord English dictated the "story" should go, which meant everyone was supposed to slowly die off before that strand of reality faded into obscurity. But John forced the issue, and replaced Alpha John, who died during the 3 year journey. And he decided that in the alpha timeline, vriska doesn't die. which has a cascade of effects that turns the entire story into a paradox. Because if Vriska doesn't die, Gamzee doesn't get to roam free. And if Gamzee doesn't get to roam free, he doesn't get to raise Caliborn. If Caliborn doesn't get raised, he doesn't win his dead session and become the Lord of Time, and doesn't set into motion the chain of events that drive the entire story. The claymation never happens because John's rendered Lord English non-canon. His influence is erased from the universe, which happens literally when Calliope obliterates the green sun. Vriska opening the juju was a formality, John used the weapon to destory LE the second he touched it.

Unlike time travel, retcon powers are allowed to generate time paradoxes. Karkat talks in the lab in act 4 about how the Ultimate Riddle is about predestination and inevitability, because since everything is a time loop, if you don't do exactly what you're supposed to at every given moment, nothing could have happened the way it's supposed to. That sort of predestination is Lord English's primary weapon, and it's the weapon that the homestuck juju made john immune to. that's why Collide ends with the window behind the curtains fading to static, because this timeline is no longer the "canon" story set out by Lord English, but a new canon willed into existence by John.

and then from there you can obviously map a whole bunch of thematic stuff about john growing up and learning how to self-determinate and etc. but logistically, that's what happened at the end of homestuck. John made Lord English non-canon, and his non-canon sister obliterated the part of paradox space that he'd operated in to erase his influence from ever having existed.

baller

• Options
    i know the fandom is doing this a lot, but you don't have to tie yourself in knots to justify the ending. It can just...be a disappointment. Don't let a bad ending affect your mental mood.

Because, in the end, we still have smuppets and that's all that really matters.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Wait, do we know that
    every John died? Because I thought it was just the one from the new timeline John made who bit it.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Mirro wrote: »
    all this talk reminded me of the andrew's formspring and the popularity that it reached

more specifically,

that at one point, googling "formspring" returned Formspring's actual homepage as only the second result

the first, was the MSPA formspring
    People need to understand that google results are tailored to the user.

For example: Hussie nor MSPA show up in the formspring search results for me. Now, consider what this means about Google's view of yourself...

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Wait, do we know that
    every John died? Because I thought it was just the one from the new timeline John made who bit it.
    that was the deal typheus made with him in exchange for helping him learn his powers

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    ChvkJl8VEAUp5p3.jpg

D4V3 1S TH1S YOU?

• Options
    Wait, do we know that
    that was the deal typheus made with him in exchange for helping him learn his powers
    Right, but I don't remember any indication that more than one John died because of the deal. I think people just assumed that for some reason.

• Options
    WHY DOES ROSE HAVE THE BUNNY

WHY DID ROSE GROW UP WITH THE BUNNY FROM CON AIR

2ohWien.png
  • Options

WE WILL PROBABLY LEARN THE ANSWER THE NEXT TIME WE RECORD

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    i know the fandom is doing this a lot, but you don't have to tie yourself in knots to justify the ending. It can just...be a disappointment. Don't let a bad ending affect your mental mood.

Similarly, it's okay to like the ending.

• Options
    Also I love John more every time he speaks

ChvdLNiVIAA7c1K.jpg

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular

had to put the bunny back in the plot

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

And it's also okay to come around on something you used to not like after stewing on it

It's still not my ideal ending but I'm more okay with it now that I've refreshed myself more on A6A6

Though I still do stand by my statement that the story would've been better served by having more moments of dialogue punctuated by cool animation for the ending instead of just a big wordless animation

• Options
    edited May 2016
    other ending stuff
    both cherubs carve out weird little pocket dimensions with stages on them that depict different versions of the story, situated in weird little spirals

caliborn's shows the claymation, the "lord english canon"

calliope's shows the retjohnned version of homestuck, the "john canon" that the alt-calliope and john worked together to create by deleting LE from the story

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Oh hey, something I Just noticed about the ending.
    The final page shows white curtains instead of red.

Just like the changed SBurb door at the end of their final session.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

act 7 having white curtains has actually been hinted at since all the way back when disc 2 got discovered

• Options
  • Options

act 7 having white curtains has actually been hinted at since all the way back when disc 2 got discovered

Spoilers!
    Maybe even a little earlier if you count Seer: Descend where Rose reaches a white model of Skaia after going through six green curtains (five of which are already open when she transports to that room).

Speaking of which oh geeze Rose replying with "There is no sign of Jack up here. Must be somewhere in the castle." upon checking her mom's corpse is chilling.

• Options

Spoilers!
    Maybe even a little earlier if you count Seer: Descend where Rose reaches a white model of Skaia after going through six green curtains (five of which are already open when she transports to that room).

Speaking of which oh geeze Rose replying with "There is no sign of Jack up here. Must be somewhere in the castle." upon checking her mom's corpse is chilling.

It's a really great touch

It's so small but it instantly tells you everything about her mental state and I love it

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Also yeah I reread typheus' deal
    Only alpha John and roxy die, not sure how I got that confused

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    `

Spoilers!

Well, actually
    She says that when interacting with anything at all in the starting room.

That's one of my all time favorite pages, too.

I just replayed it, and it still holds up really well.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

And it's also okay to come around on something you used to not like after stewing on it

It's still not my ideal ending but I'm more okay with it now that I've refreshed myself more on A6A6

Though I still do stand by my statement that the story would've been better served by having more moments of dialogue punctuated by cool animation for the ending instead of just a big wordless animation

I like the idea of what the ending is supposed to represent as explained by you

But the execution of it is complete and utter garbage

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    It also feels thematically weird for Homestuck.

Hussie has not allowed anything to stand in the way of his creativity. Traditional story structure, brevity, clarity, internal logic, narrative convenience, he is willing to sacrifice all of it for whatever whim struck him in the moment. There are literally over a dozen ways to bring people back from the dead in Homestuck, and he kept adding new ones even through the last chapter. There are parallel dimensions, time travel, direct author intervention, literal fourth wall breaking, and so on. A cast of hundreds of characters, all of them with their own complex interpersonal relationships.

It was always a fools hope to believe that he would tie even a tiny fractions of the story threads together at the end. It was so easy to imagine how complex and fascination a final showdown in the style of Problem Sleuth would be when drawn on such an incredibly rich canvas, and the years ofbuildup only added to that. In the end it is very hard not to see the end of Homestuck as a failure, because one of the reasons I looked at the comic so generously was the belief that Hussie's mad genious would somehow let it all make sense in the end. Some of the weird story fragments would be tied up, character arcs would be completed.

Homestuck was always about the characters, and the ending almost completely ignores them. The ending was tidy and neat, when the rest of Homestuck was exactly the opposite. Where we envisioned a showdown of epic proportions, what we got was Vriska showing up and saving the day. Game over, the end.

It is so easy to see how this was the only realistic way Homestuck could end. It finally collapsed under its own weight, where no satisfying ending could be found anymore. That's why it feels like a failure. It wasn't the epic finale that what is arguably one of the most ambitious and insane creative project ever undertaken deserved. It was a bullet in the back of its head.

Vic on
  • Options
    Wait did people actually expect the ending to tie everything up?

I've grown to love Homestuck for the gargantuan mess that it is.

All I wanted out of the ending was a fun resolution for the main cast and to see the bad guy get taken down. I'm pretty happy with what we got.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Expect? No. Hope, I guess.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.