As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Also, fwiw, I haven't been super active here the last couple of months, but all of y'all remain a constant source of inspiration, and I love seeing all this progress on some of your long term projects.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    db3a8ah9nqw7.jpg

Speaking of long term projects.

My adult plus sized jumper is done. It's taken me over a year to complete, has 961grams of wool and still has a bunch of ends to sew in.

but it's DONE. And I am so stoked.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I didn't post here, but the drilling of holes for the magnets was super scary.

But! It all came out alright. I've mostly finished one ghost and the other I need to do a few more things for.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That looks great!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I wants it

I 3d printed that same one

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I'm hoping to do a few variations on the ghost but not sure how feasible it will be. I posted on Reddit and imgur, and had a few people ask about price and buying one. It's a bunch of machine time, and there's a bunch of 3d printed ones on Etsy already, so finding a price that doesn't seem crazy but also makes it worth doing is a weird balance.
    I could try and do it on the shapeoko 3 which would go much faster. Or I could do roughing on the shapeoko and finish details on the smaller machine.

Radiation on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    New project! It’s a commissioned scarf for [redacted]

I designed the flower myself

p8gfuy0d3nvn.jpeg

But wait there’s more
    bwkv2zi4yfbg.jpegit’s double-knit!!!!!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So, friends, I don't know if any of you reading this is in North Carolina, and if you are if you're in Davison county, but on the off chance

There is a lovely lady named Amy McKnight who is going all around Davison County and bringing her looms with her. She's doing all sorts of event from fairs to libraries and having members of the community have a go at weaving some fabric on her rigid heddle looms.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I’m this close to being ready for a big project. My goal is to build a gaming table for my downstairs. Basically I want a decent sized play surface good for various board games and dungeons and dragons type rpgs. I’d want it to have the recessed play area that can be covered so the table can then be used as a traditional table while keeping the game stuff in tact between sessions. Seating for 5-6 plus the DM spot. I’m torn between having it just be rectangular and claiming one spot for the DM or making it irregular in some way for DM spot advantages. Also not sure yet if I want fancy foldout/sliding spots for player spaces or just wide top area to hold character sheets and such. Probably a good idea to have integrated cup holders all around.

Mostly I really want a fancy Wyrmwood table but for a fraction of the cost. And to get that, I have to do it myself to save on labor and shipping. I’m confident I can do it with appropriately detailed plans but since I don’t have furniture building experience beyond IKEA levels of building, I’ve started looking for guidance on going forward.

Anyone have success or failure doing similar I can learn from? I’ve googled and found a couple interesting examples with YouTube videos that seem helpful, but nothing that is exactly what I’d be looking for yet. Seems like I should be able to just measure my space, go to the lumber store, buy a bunch of wood and screws and come home and mash it all together over a couple weekends.

Also I think I need to buy a router for finishing the edges. Any recommendations on that?

• Options
    If at all possible, rent or borrow a router instead of buying.

Generally you don’t want to buy a power tool for a specific project, it throws your budget out of whack.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    If at all possible, rent or borrow a router instead of buying.

Generally you don’t want to buy a power tool for a specific project, it throws your budget out of whack.

On the flip side if you continue to do wood working a Router is an incredibly versatile tool.

Also you are going to spend a lot of time sanding, sealing and finishing the table, it will probably take as long to do the finish work as the entire actual assembly of the table if you want it to look amazing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    somebody come do my work for me so I can warp up my loom and cast on my swatch for my next big sweater project.

Please?

• Options
    I’m this close to being ready for a big project. My goal is to build a gaming table for my downstairs. Basically I want a decent sized play surface good for various board games and dungeons and dragons type rpgs. I’d want it to have the recessed play area that can be covered so the table can then be used as a traditional table while keeping the game stuff in tact between sessions. Seating for 5-6 plus the DM spot. I’m torn between having it just be rectangular and claiming one spot for the DM or making it irregular in some way for DM spot advantages. Also not sure yet if I want fancy foldout/sliding spots for player spaces or just wide top area to hold character sheets and such. Probably a good idea to have integrated cup holders all around.

Mostly I really want a fancy Wyrmwood table but for a fraction of the cost. And to get that, I have to do it myself to save on labor and shipping. I’m confident I can do it with appropriately detailed plans but since I don’t have furniture building experience beyond IKEA levels of building, I’ve started looking for guidance on going forward.

Anyone have success or failure doing similar I can learn from? I’ve googled and found a couple interesting examples with YouTube videos that seem helpful, but nothing that is exactly what I’d be looking for yet. Seems like I should be able to just measure my space, go to the lumber store, buy a bunch of wood and screws and come home and mash it all together over a couple weekends.

Also I think I need to buy a router for finishing the edges. Any recommendations on that?

You could certainly get a nice edge without a router. hand sanding can get a nice round over without too much fuss.
    If you do want a router (and as mentioned above they are pretty versatile), it depends on what you'd like to do with it. I'd suggest a trim router as they are smaller and cheaper. Roundover bits aren't too expensive.
    Where are you located at? I know @minor incident just built a table as a commission (likely 15 pages back or so?), and did share some experience. I've done some furniture, but nothing that size.
    The DIY subreddit has a few people who made D&D tables, and it might be worth taking a look to see what you like.

You can buy nicer plywood for pieces that are shown.
    Jigs are your friend if you can get them/make them.

Also on the table top, when it's covered, will it be used for eating/drinks/possible drink spilling?

What tools do you already have or have access to?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2019
    posted a pic in the fashion thread, but it's definitely crafty if not artsy so here are a few more photos of the dress I (nearly) finished today (still need to hem it).

I didn't have any patterns and didn't want to wait for shipping to buy some, so I invented one based partly on the dress I wanted to buy, and partly on another one which looked like it would suit the perennially short-waisted. It actually worked better than I could have hoped for, though I had to take a bit of a wild guess on the best bias direction for the halterneck part and I think I got it exactly backwards. Nothing some darts couldn't fix.

front
    2l55d971laqk.jpg

daring backless technology (not something I would normally be confident wearing around, but if i'm at the beach wev)

edit: resized appropriately
    8dblj0y225m9.jpg

tynic on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Does it have pockets (yet)?

• Options
    no, but only because pockets on the beach immediately become deadly sand traps.

• Options
    God damn

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »

You could certainly get a nice edge without a router. hand sanding can get a nice round over without too much fuss.
    If you do want a router (and as mentioned above they are pretty versatile), it depends on what you'd like to do with it. I'd suggest a trim router as they are smaller and cheaper. Roundover bits aren't too expensive.
    Where are you located at? I know "minor incident" just built a table as a commission (likely 15 pages back or so?), and did share some experience. I've done some furniture, but nothing that size.
    The DIY subreddit has a few people who made D&D tables, and it might be worth taking a look to see what you like.

You can buy nicer plywood for pieces that are shown.
    Jigs are your friend if you can get them/make them.

Also on the table top, when it's covered, will it be used for eating/drinks/possible drink spilling?

What tools do you already have or have access to?

I will definitely scour back for the previous table making.

I’m not sure about what kind of edge I’m looking for, I hadn’t even considered just hand finishing, which is odd considering my previous wood working experience. I kind of want excuses for getting new tools though haha. I’ll think on it for now.

I have most every saw type available to me, including a miter box. Not a table saw though and I don’t have space for that right now unfortunately. But I should be able to do a single job without that I think. Maybe have the lumber store cut things to length for me if necessary but I can probably do what I need there with the miter and other circular saws I have.

• Options
    Clothes making always seems like magic to me. I imagine it's because I've never been at a stable body type long enough, or healthy enough, to go in for really good/tailored clothes.

How long did that take to make?

• Options
    Nic, that is gorgeous.

I had to take a break because I wanted to not be inappropriate.

But. Just. Hot damn that looks amazing on you.

• Options
    PROLOGUE

Craft Thread! Remember the D&D gaming table I've been intermittently complaining about working on for the last month and a half?

Well, it's finally done! And I want to tell you about it. But first, I wanted to share this infographic that I found recently that I have related to so hard during this entire project:
    tumblr_ney6ezjCoL1qz6f4bo1_640.jpg

Yes, I experienced all of those stages.

Okay, now, the table. It started when a guy at work said that he'd been watching my Instagram page lately and really liked the stuff I made, and wanted to know if I could make him a custom table for playing tabletop games, D&D, etc. I said sure, and worked up a price for him, and that's how I got my first commissioned piece of furniture. I was so naive and innocent back then, before this table took over my weekends and most of my small basement.

DESIGN NOTES

He basically wanted a low (a bit higher than coffee table height, but not desk height, so we settled on 20" high) table that would fit in front of the corner of his sectional couch and seat 6 players plus a DM on the opposite side. It was pretty huge to accommodate the big maps and things he uses, but he wanted a way to allow even more space for each player, so I came up with the idea of basically routing a slot along the two sides where the players sit, and making big wooden trays (about 20" x 16") that each player can slide into the slot and use as their own personal desk. It worked out great that way because it keeps the player sheets, dice, phones, tablets, etc all set down a few inches, off the main play surface. He wanted something angular and modern-ish in shape, so we went with the funky triangle shape/diamond shape. But he wanted it to look a little rustic and worn, like an old piece of antique furniture, so we went with the walnut stain and a heavy semigloss lacquer finish (which also helps keep it pretty much liquid-proof and easy to clean). The finish ended up looking a lot like an old pool table, which we were both pretty happy with.

Here are my original sketches, along with some Sketchup mockups. The general design was locked in pretty early, it was just a matter of the details and the logistics of the various moving parts that kind of got figured out along the way. Warning: lots of images incoming...
    74je80zlbxfn.jpg
    r35osg158pns.jpg
    9ode1nkr4qc5.jpg
    adca1v9m6o1o.jpg
    1gdisdsy273l.jpg
    oim6hr5klh6m.jpg
    1tssi7d976e1.jpg
    rlwfxs3hpfl6.jpg
    3442hzkb9mkr.jpg

FINISHED PRODUCT

It's really hard to estimate the total time involved, because this project started right before Thanksgiving, but in general I only have one or two days a week to work on this stuff, since (as I've mentioned) I have to do all of my woodworking outside in the driveway, and it's dark well before I get home. Had a few days with too much rain to get any work done, so I'd say I probably spent about 9 days or so actually working on it. That includes a day to actually get the lumber and break it down, a day to do all of my final cuts to size and dry fitting, a couple of days of actual assembly, one day lost to repairs after an accident with a mostly-assembled tabletop, a day make the trays, and about 3 days of staining and finishing everything. Maybe a couple more days of just freaking out and wondering if I'm ever going to be able to make this thing work. Most of those were anywhere from 3 to 5 hour days, as a rule.

Lots more photos of the WIP, and finished product:
    3u9865hqpd9v.jpg
    31mri7czr9la.jpg
    3n51tidclsp8.jpg
    tbzmmsaru6hp.jpg
    l5rvt2gj350s.jpg
    sw8vbfablvkf.jpg
    r5tsipst2w5l.jpg

All in all, I'm way more proud of how it came out than I expected to be. At once point (as I alluded to above) there was an accident where a mostly-finished tabletop fell over in my driveway and just fucking shattered the plywood sheet that serves at the top surface. It was like a horror show. After quite a few minutes of silent panicking and screaming internally, I got it all glued and clamped to hell, filled in all the cracks with woodfiller and sawdust and whatever else would work, and once it was all done it actually looked almost perfect. But it did cost me pretty much an entire day just devoted to fixing my own fuckup. But at the end of the day, I learned a TON from doing this about furniture making. Stuff I'd never pick up from just banging out cutting boards and watching YouTube videos, so I'm happy I did it.

EPILOGUE

The new owner of the table texted me a couple hours ago (he picked up the table earlier this afternoon) and let me know that it's working great, and he's using it tonight for a game. He also added that all of his players were super impressed and love the table. And best of all, he sent me some action shots (and fuck it, I'm leaving one of them out of the spoilers because I am SO EXCITED at how awesome it looks being used):

6nvasuw3qy9r.jpg
    u045m4odrvks.jpg
    ohp2lgq7zpxo.jpg

POST CREDITS SCENE

Special shout-out and a huge thank you to Radiation for being my sounding board during this project and offering helpful distraction and awesome encouragement as necessary.

Woo, found it! Looks awesome. As awesome as it did when I awesomed this post when it was first posted, heh. Quoting it here so it's easier for me to find.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Clothes making always seems like magic to me. I imagine it's because I've never been at a stable body type long enough, or healthy enough, to go in for really good/tailored clothes.

Maybe 4 hours, but I did a fast test run on some scrap fabric first to make sure the general idea was sound. So, five or six hours of sewing in total. (Doing it ‘properly’ involves facing and edging and all that stuff I don’t bother with when making a test piece).

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

Maybe 4 hours, but I did a fast test run on some scrap fabric first to make sure the general idea was sound. So, five or six hours of sewing in total. (Doing it ‘properly’ involves facing and edging and all that stuff I don’t bother with when making a test piece).

Wow that's faster than I thought it would take. Awesome job! also that pattern is great.

• Options
    Oh yeah, something like a jacket or pants would take a lot longer - flowy skirts don’t have to be carefully fitted, and the halter neck style means I don’t have to deal with shoulders or sleeves or back pieces. This kind of dress is definitely easy mode.

• Options
    My Kid and I did some wool dying this past weekend.

The wool is a 50/50 merino/silk base and I ended up using I think 5 or 6 bags of Bell Tea (the cheapest black tea that I could find)

I am so absolutely stoked at how it came out, I cannot wait to try more.

• Options
    It looks like ramen during the dying process. Making me hungry.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Very nicely done

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
  • Options
    @Dedwrekka and other metal folk!
    I got some info back from the guy, and trying to replicate this look a bit.
    Seems its a sheet of galvanized steel and he adds some copper for the brown?
    kxdsBRV.jpg

Is this like braizing? I assume that'd not be a great idea because of the zinc from the galvanized sheet, but figured I'd ask if you guys had any thoughts or suggestions. Also it doesn't look like it's been clear coated, so I'm not sure what the top would be treated with.

• Options
    that looks more like rust than copper

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I've got some plans for the table I made around here somewhere. It was sort of pentagon/diamond shaped, and seated 6 plus a dedicated spot for a DM.

Let me know if you wanted to talk about adapting this for what you need and I'd be happy to assist.

Also, I would recommend staying away from routers unless you're already relatively into woodworking. By far the most dangerous tool, and one of the easiest to totally screw up a project with. You can probably get what you need with a simple orbital sander to round over edges and corners.

3g4h33aidz9k.jpg

md0o3qdfzkyo.jpg

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    that looks more like rust than copper

Possibly bronze.

If that’s the case, and if I had to guess, I’d say maybe they pounded out a rough pattern, scratched up the area real good and poured in. Then aggressive sanding to make it flush. Writing it down though, I now think that’s unlikely, but whatever.

It’s hard to tell from a picture, so for all I know it could just be a chemical patina.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Holy crepes @tynic that's amazing!!

• Options
    So I'm getting closer to finishing the walnut one of the ghost. I think I've got one more of these in me. I had a few people on imgur reach out and ask about buying one. I'll likely throw what I've done on etsy and see what interest is. I'd like to keep making them, because they're fun but not sure that my wife would be overly happy about having a few of them laying around.

I think I'd also like trying to play with the center orb thingy and maybe make it a speaker instead of just a light thing. Not sure how viable that would be, but it might be fun to play with eventually.

Also there's a contest to win a CNC and figured you guys might get a kick out of the entry. I'm hoping to machine out an Iron Man mask so I can put an echo dot inside it.

• Options
    I screwed up my fretboard

and then I fixed it!

*huff huff* *breathe*

This will either be the only guitar I make or the first of dozens. There will be no in between.

• Options
    Glad you were able to fix it! We'll have to get together at some point and swap notes. I think early next year I'm going to start down the path of doing the same (though I'll have the CNC do do most of the things instead of by hand).

Also I got a bit ahead of myself and am currently 3d printing one of the Iron Man mask parts. We'll see how that goes. I think it will give me a good idea of dimensions and what I have to work with/where I need to modify the file.

• Options
    I can tell you exactly what not to do

• Options
    Fretboard is done.

Finally.

It isn't the flawless masterpiece I'd envisioned, but it's smoother than a baby's butt and as long as you remain at least 3 feet away, it looks perfect!

a2wyem7l1raf.jpg

sf4aw33910ix.jpg

Now I just need to cut it to fit the neck and glue it!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I do have a guitar I need to refret just I have no idea how to do it nor do I feel I can do it

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well I do have a guitar I need to refret just I have no idea how to do it nor do I feel I can do it

It kind of depends honestly

If they're smooth and just glued in, you can heat up the glue and pull them out. If they have those little barbs, it's harder cause they can tear out the surrounding wood.

Either way, it's easier to find a shop