As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Its been a productive day for project stuff:

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Referencing the metal table question, looks like a dude uses muratic acid to remove the galvanization then adds a copper patina to the the bare steel?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZezJnmt9a4

Not a terrible process. Not sure I wanna mess around with it. I'll mull it over the next few days and then maybe do some experimenting.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    @Radiation that is super goddamn cool!

I love this thread so much

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    My dad did the acid wash on some galvanized trim for the “rustic” look For a project my mom had. It wasn't too hard, just gotta cover up and make sure you have something to neutralize the acid on hand nearby.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    don't anybody do anything with galvanized anything unless you're outside and preferably wearing a respirator. i don't know of anyone who's been killed by zinc oxide fumes who didn't have preexisting lung damage, but that shit will give you brass shakes which is a tremendously unpleasant way to spend 12-36 hours

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    don't anybody do anything with galvanized anything unless you're outside and preferably wearing a respirator. i don't know of anyone who's been killed by zinc oxide fumes who didn't have preexisting lung damage, but that shit will give you brass shakes which is a tremendously unpleasant way to spend 12-36 hours

Oh yeah. That's my main hesitancy is that I'm not sure I have the best facilities available for me to do this. Respirator is a must, and pretty sure I have one (need to check rating). I might be able to find a place to do a smaller scale test, but not sure on the larger table the lady wants.
    Something to mull over still.

• Options
    Changing gears slightly. I was trying to figure out a way to get a carbon fiber look on a 3d printed object for a friend at the makerspace. I was thinking we'd need to modify the model somehow, or change the way the first few layers are laid out.
    Apparently it was way easier than all that. I just needed to buy a textured carbon fiber vinyl sheet and put it on the print bed.
    I didn't do a great job applying it and had some bubbles on the vinyl (or maybe those happened with heat), but still think the part looks pretty great for a first attempt.
    GBEwC7j.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Miss three and I did some wool dying today. She picked the colours. It's just good colouring.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    so a couple of weeks back i picked up a used skateboard for $20. it's been a while, but it feels good to ride and my local area is great for skating to and from the shops, from the train to work, etc.
    V6bPLg2.png
    jHfiOAj.png

anyway i couldn't get the grip tape super clean and i felt kind of weird rocking a stranger's skatey anyway, since they live a couple of blocks away. so i made it my own. fresh grip tape and a sand-down:

and mucking around this afternoon, some crayolas and hairspray:

note that i only ever graduated from the "it looks ok if you take a step back and squint" school of art. but i like it. the skull moon was an addition after i wasn't happy with the text that lead to nowhere, but it's definitely my favourite part

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That's actually kickin' rad!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Am i crazy for contemplating going to a 2nd hand store and getting a french press for coffee

but not for drinking coffee, but for using coffee to dye wool.

This is me being crazy, right?

Also, whoops. just ordered another bundle of naked wool to dye with....

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Am i crazy for contemplating going to a 2nd hand store and getting a french press for coffee

That would not make you crazy, that would make you brilliant.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

You're not supposed to encourage me! lol

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options

You'd be reducing waste by repurposing a thing!
    Basically it'd be irresponsible for you to not do it.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

No, don’t go to the store.
    Don’t get a French press.
    Stop posting pictures of your sweet new dyed wool.

• Options
    I love you all.

So yeah I've got another 600g of 8ply/DK and another 500g of 4ply/fingering weight on their way.

Miss 3 says she wants to try doing pink and purple next.

So the next step is to clear the kitchen counter,

soak the skeins in a mix of warm water and white vinegar

Then mix up some small bowls with food colouring and a bit of water, then give her a paint brush or 3 and let her pain the wool.

After that, it gets wrapped up in plastic wrap, put into a microwave dish and microwaved for I think 6 minutes? Not sure, but until it's hot enough that the dye soaks into the wool.

Then, rinse and dry.

And that's how you can do hand-painted wool dying with food colouring

• Options
    edited September 2019
    It's happening!

Glued the fretboard to the neck yesterday and removed the clamps and sanded it today!

This amount of glue is perfectly normal to see and it's indicating that it was spread evenly. I removed it carefully with my best chisel

ji5ckssl7n4v.jpg

Then I sanded a LOT

5kztyuy6a6lh.jpg

So smooth

34w5gmkf9j1e.jpg

Getting there!

eof8tbzexbu6.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    It’s looking fabulous!

• Options
    omg that's just amazing looking!

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    yooooo
    https://youtu.be/CP59YHEPtmQ
    also, he makes a joke about sacrificing his wife for soul stones, so if your heart drops when he says "if she was still alive," know that you are not alone. what an introduction...

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    He sounds like the Casually Explained guy.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Working on a new kind of bronze mixture.

Update: I now hate working with bronze.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    My first ever shipment of teenie tiny cut gems came in! In this case, natural yellow sapphires, princess cut (beryllium heat treated for colour enhancement).

8sqyi8j67oxh.jpeg

Now I just need to remind myself how to set gems into earrings. Might have to book a refresher course with the studio I learned at.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I finished my scarf and yet again forgot to take a picture before I sent it off in the mail.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I bet it was cozy!

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Get the recipient to take a photo of it in action!

I always try to get one of those

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    God, it's almost time to start routing the body

I am terrified

oqro2l9uu7yz.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    You got this dude!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Well this is as far as I'm getting today because I either lost my, or forgot to buy a, 1/4" flush cut router bit =p

55koodypr7o1.jpg

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    That’s some beautiful wood

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    @Dedwrekka tell me about your bronze!

i made a real small-scale attempt a couple years ago using a forge for a furnace and the cut-off bottom of a little propane bottle for a crucible and it didn't really work at all, but i been meaning to go back to it eventually

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    That’s some beautiful wood

It's ambrosia maple =)

So named because a bug called the ambrosia beetle that bores into maple has a fungus on its shell which causes that discoloration

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Well this is as far as I'm getting today because I either lost my, or forgot to buy a, 1/4" flush cut router bit =p

55koodypr7o1.jpg

Every other time I look at this photo, my eyes create an optical illusion where the parts you have routed out are actually raised spindles on top of the wood. It's freaky.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I made another doll sweater.

3tiN9OW.jpg

• Options
    So I never took notes in school. I never learned how, never bothered, didn't need to.

Today, I started a new notebook.

I'm making a Dyers notebook!

I have to still re-write my observations from using black tea, but today i'm trying to dye some wool with hibiscus flowers!

I know from research that using a fruity tea will give a warm dusty rosy brown colour. Well, most fruit teas get their vibrant red colour from hibiscus, so when I was in the tea shop the other day and spotted just plain hibiscus, I figured why not have a go.

So in my pot right now I have:
    1 Liter cold tap water
    2 Tbsp white vinegar
    10 Grams hibiscus flowers

I then added in my control mix (i wanted to see if the vinegar would change the red colour before I put the wool in) which was 1 cup boiling water, 2 tsp vinegar and about 2 grams hibiscus.

I bring the mixture to just under a boil and I removed as much of the hibiscus as possible. I added in my presoaked and wrung out 100% merino into the pot and then inserted a few dried hibiscus petals into various spots on the skein (this is an attempt to do some space dyeing, trying to get darker/brighter spots on the wool while still getting an overall effect of the colour). Bring the pot to a boil and then turn down to simmer, pop a lid on and let it go for about 20 minutes.

Once that's done I will check the dye-bath and see if any/how much colour has exhausted into the wool, turn the heat off and let it cool completely.

Then, we rinse the wool in cool tap water, adding in a little dish soap until the rinse water runs clear. Then it's a spin in the salad spinner and hanging up to dry!

I will report back with results!

• Options
    I might have accidentally just gone out and gone shopping and bought myself 2 new notebooks and 3 new pens to use for Dying notes.

A Hogwarts one for messy notes done on the fly, and then a fancier one for completed recipes.

I've also got two more pots on the stove at the moment, one with green tea and one with Puerrh black tea. These two finished will combine with the Hibiscus tea to be put into a shawl for myself.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I could be wrong, but... If
    Xaquin wrote: »

55koodypr7o1.jpg

Every other time I look at this photo, my eyes create an optical illusion where the parts you have routed out are actually raised spindles on top of the wood. It's freaky.

I couldn't make sense of what I was looking at until I read this comment, so thanks!

• Options
    Trying something slightly newish.
    Well I mean its the same thing, but slightly different.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I'm thinking of this for the headstock

336cuh12z984.jpg

It'll have a few leaves

Xaquin on