As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Went to the super cheap meat market about an hour and change from my house in Michigan. Dropped $146 and got:

5 lbs of chicken wings
    20 lbs of chicken breasts
    5 lbs of bacon
    5 lbs of center cut pork chops
    7 lbs of brisket
    8lbs of chuck roast
    2 lbs ground sirloin
    10 lbs pork shoulder
    8 pounds of local orchids jonggold Apple's

I think that's a pretty good haul

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    If I had a lathe I'd turn this one into a tapered one, haha.

This thing is probably as old as I am. It was my mom's.

Aw. In that case, I regret that I was flippant. Old family kitchen tools are neat.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    On that note, wet got the brisket because it was on sale, but I've never cooked it before and I lack a grill....any ideas

Bucketman on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    If I had a lathe I'd turn this one into a tapered one, haha.

This thing is probably as old as I am. It was my mom's.

Aw. In that case, I regret that I was flippant. Old family kitchen tools are neat.

Ah no. It isn't that old.

I'm only almost 30.

She probably got it at hills department store when I was little for 2 bucks.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I do Jamie Oliver's oxtail stew.

It is rich as heck and super tasty.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Went to the super cheap meat market about an hour and change from my house in Michigan. Dropped $146 and got:

5 lbs of chicken wings
    5 lbs of bacon
    7 lbs of brisket
    8lbs of chuck roast
    2 lbs ground sirloin
    10 lbs pork shoulder

that's a lotta meat
    do you have a giant freezer or something

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    and 4 quarts of mushroom broth that I don't know what to do with

(1) Reduce that way down to like 0.4 quarts
    (2) Add a good sprinkle of gelatine
    (3) Carefully pour into icecube trays and freeze
    (4) Add your icy-cold FlavaKubes™ to all the things when cooking them in a non-dairy sauce

Edit I would probably sling a bit of white wine or better yet, Madeira to that broth if you haven't already.

Done!

Except I got a full quart =)

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

5 lbs of chicken wings
    5 lbs of bacon
    7 lbs of brisket
    8lbs of chuck roast
    2 lbs ground sirloin
    10 lbs pork shoulder

Lowery's? I miss their super cheap meats.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I've got some skirt steak marinating in a balsamic mint sauce.

It smells and tastes so good.

Gonna have baked sweet potatoes and roasted broccoli tonight, along with sauteed mushrooms.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    On that note, wet got the brisket because it was on fake, but I've never cooked it before and I lack a grill....any ideas

Skragg you're drunk

• Options
    Anyone have any decent websites for learning basic cooking techniques i.e. how to properly use a knife to chop onions or how long to blanch various veggies?

I find myself able to reproduce a recipe but have no real skills without writing everything down

I enjoy cooking a lot and want to up my game

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Anyone have any decent websites for learning basic cooking techniques i.e. how to properly use a knife to chop onions or how long to blanch various veggies?

I find myself able to reproduce a recipe but have no real skills without writing everything down

I'm sure there are youtube serials, unfortunately that's not my metier :(
    But David Lebowitz is great for baking basics (both sweet and savoury), and he does a bunch of very good recipes as well (https://www.davidlebovitz.com). Bookwise, Jamie Oliver's "Cook with Jamie" is pretty much exactly what you're asking for - kitchen essentials and standard techniques that set you up to cook pretty much anything.

I can also link you up with bloggers who do charcuterie and game preparation, but that might be a bit tangential right now.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    youtube is what you want xaquin, look up basic knife techniques, and basic onion chopping techniques, etc.

Like there's 5 different ways to cut an onion to get all the different styles of onion, etc.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2017

5 lbs of chicken wings
    5 lbs of bacon
    7 lbs of brisket
    8lbs of chuck roast
    2 lbs ground sirloin
    10 lbs pork shoulder

that's a lotta meat
    do you have a giant freezer or something

Yeah a local grocery store use to run a special, you buy a $100 chest freezer and it comes with $75 in coupons. It was a great deal even though we only used half the coupons. Now we can freezer everything

Bucketman on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular

Pick a recipe you like a lot and do it a bunch of times, with minor variations. Whatever skills the recipe requires, you'll get good at. And you'll start to notice the subtle effects of small changes in the process. If you want to learn how to chop onions well, start keeping batches of caramelized onions on hand, to throw into other recipes. Take your time chopping the onions, into different shapes and sizes. See how small you can consistently cut them, in one pass (without chopping madly at a pile) and see how it effects how they cook.

https://youtu.be/aJgiUq5fQq4

Don't feel bad about not knowing things offhand, and having to look stuff up. Especially if you're writing and referring to your own notes, even the best chefs in the world do that. Have fun with it! Don't feel like your recipe book has to be professional, doodle and make insane notes at yourself that make future you smile!

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    you say "without chopping madly at a pile" like that doesn't still happen sometimes

Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course covers a lot of stuff if you can find it to watch somewhere

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Got some Kirkland's Kielbasa dogs from Costco and am going to make some chili for chili dogs tonight. It's going to be so good.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    21950689_10156094613273676_8016883333077551625_o.jpg?oh=cd905847e2d29f085dc5abf4ca07cda4&oe=5A4094BA

Pizza turned out really good. Just used the pan instead of the stone for this one though.

Also I need to wipe off the stovetop. and the counter near the coffee maker.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    It's not online, buy for basic cooking I still love Alton browns "I'm just here for the food" to death. Sorted by cooking technique, gives you the how and just enough why to make you dangerous. So you read it, and you are ready to saute, braise, roast, grill, fry and boil your way to delicious town. If you get those basics, you can look up the detail stuff like "how to pick, prep and know when asparagus is done" and then boil, or saute, or broil, or grill!

I should add, the book also is good for not going nuts like Alton sometimes does with extra steps that are good, but often too fussy for me most nights. He keeps it simple in this one.

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »

I'm sure there are youtube serials, unfortunately that's not my metier :(
    But David Lebowitz is great for baking basics (both sweet and savoury), and he does a bunch of very good recipes as well (https://www.davidlebovitz.com). Bookwise, Jamie Oliver's "Cook with Jamie" is pretty much exactly what you're asking for - kitchen essentials and standard techniques that set you up to cook pretty much anything.

I can also link you up with bloggers who do charcuterie and game preparation, but that might be a bit tangential right now.

For real. Jamie Oliver's Knife Skills was an instant level up for me in the kitchen. If you're looking for why food does what it does, I can also highly recommend Cooking For Engineers, the Serious Eats Food Lab, and if it's available at your local library or you're willing to pay twenty bucks, On Food and Cooking.

In my experience, there are a relatively small number of kitchen skills you need to make all your food awesome.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    That pan is like 16 inches BTW, I probably shouldn't have eaten two thirds of the pizza.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey folks, I'm trying to stock my car with emergency food should I get stuck in a blizzard or something akin to that.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Cmon people, you're being rookie.

@zonugal get some MREs. You dont have to worry too much about rotating them out like other snacky bagged food and it provides real nutrition. Also, the chemical heater just requires water and bam, hot food, which is a very real pick me up in a bad situation.

You dont have to get military MREs, though honestly, they are pretty good when not every fucking meal of every fucking day. You can get civvie style ones at outdoor/sports stores too, though expect a price hike.

As far as water... plastic is fine. Just cycle it out every spring and fall. The choice is really no water and dead in 3 to 6 days, or water with something that wont kill you unless you drink gallons of it for years and years.

Thanks @NotoriousBEN!

I'll order some MREs off of Amazon and switch out those plastic water bottles soon (they've been in the trunk for at least two years).

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    21950689_10156094613273676_8016883333077551625_o.jpg?oh=cd905847e2d29f085dc5abf4ca07cda4&oe=5A4094BA

Pizza turned out really good. Just used the pan instead of the stone for this one though.

Also I need to wipe off the stovetop. and the counter near the coffee maker.

Hot damn, that's some good looking pizza.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks Jedoc

I thought it tasted really good.

I used kraft shredded cheese and mid's pizza sauce and hormel pepperoni though and it would have tasted even better with some better toppings.

Also next time I gotta remember to olive oil the edge.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Thanks Jedoc

I used kraft shredded cheese and mid's pizza sauce and hormel pepperoni though and it would have tasted even better with some better toppings.

Yeah just go around the edge of the base with a pastry brush loaded with olive oil before you sauce the base.

As for more ingredients, thinly slice up some green capsicum (I think you folks call them bell peppers?) and some button mushrooms and pop them on before the cheese. Also chili slices if you like chilies.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I don't mind bell peppers but my brother wouldn't like them. I'm not a big mushroom fan either.

I want to try making my own mozz sometime, apparently it isn't that expensive or hard.

I've done my own red sauce before though, and that is hard as hell actually, takes a lot of time an energy to get it just right IMO.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Jedoc

Allow me to repeat my recommendation for using the oil from a tin/jar of anchovies. The delicate umami-tinted saltfrost left behind on the crust is delicious.

V1m on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    you say "without chopping madly at a pile" like that doesn't still happen sometimes

Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course covers a lot of stuff if you can find it to watch somewhere

I got no beef with pile-chopping, it just won't teach you much

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    also doesn't give you aesthetically pleasing roughly rectangular pieces of onion

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Hey folks, I'm trying to stock my car with emergency food should I get stuck in a blizzard or something akin to that.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Cmon people, you're being rookie.

@zonugal get some MREs. You dont have to worry too much about rotating them out like other snacky bagged food and it provides real nutrition. Also, the chemical heater just requires water and bam, hot food, which is a very real pick me up in a bad situation.

You dont have to get military MREs, though honestly, they are pretty good when not every fucking meal of every fucking day. You can get civvie style ones at outdoor/sports stores too, though expect a price hike.

As far as water... plastic is fine. Just cycle it out every spring and fall. The choice is really no water and dead in 3 to 6 days, or water with something that wont kill you unless you drink gallons of it for years and years.

Thanks @NotoriousBEN!

I'll order some MREs off of Amazon and switch out those plastic water bottles soon (they've been in the trunk for at least two years).

Not a problem. The instructions for those things are pretty self explanatory. Just put water in the heater pouch up to the proper line, insert your food pouch, loosely fold over the top and let it do its thing.
    You do want to try to make sure you are in a ventilated area, or crack the window of your car and let the gas go out that way. It wont kill you, but its not good to breathe that chemical reaction.

A quick wikipedia on flameless MRE heaters pulled this up.
    Confined space hazard
    The United States Department of Transportation (DOT) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) conducted testing and released a report which in summary states "... the release of hydrogen gas from these flameless ration heaters is of a sufficient quantity to pose a potential hazard on board a passenger aircraft."[3] This testing was performed on commercial grade 'heater meals' which consisted of an unenclosed flameless heat pouch, a bag of salt water, a styrofoam saucer/tray and a meal in a sealed, microwavable/boilable bowl.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    When you can't get much malaysian locally, you have to attempt to fill that craving somehow

an61ikz4zcvy.jpg

I burnt the onions through inattention, but otherwise I'm giving myself a solid A-

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I don't have a clue what that is, but it looks like good food.

• Options
    It's a slightly bastardized chili Pan Mee, skipping the anchovies and with roast pork leftovers on top.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    It's a slightly bastardized chili Pan Mee, skipping the anchovies and with roast pork leftovers on top.

that seems like a good choice

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    nah man dried anchove's are the bomb. I just didn't have any in the kitchen, and I wanted to use up the pork.

• Options
    I'm not sure if what I had way back in the day was dried or not but it was certainly crunchy.

that was a unique experience

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I learned there was anchovy in Worcestershire and since then have been meaning to try anchovies. I kind of assumed they were gross because of how everyone talks about them, so I've never actually had any.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I learned there was anchovy in Worcestershire and since then have been meaning to try anchovies. I kind of assumed they were gross because of how everyone talks about them, so I've never actually had any.

Anchovies are great but are also really bad on pizza. I don't know why that became a thing.
    anyway they're traditionally preserved in salt, so usually you just use them dissolved in stock/ sauces/ dressings. But boquerones (pickled anchovies) are big in spanish culture and can be eaten as-is (they're still fairly intense, mind you). And fried or grilled fresh anchovies are delicious.

• Options
  • Options
    They're gross

Delicious!
    Fried-anchovies-recipe-56a8d3665f9b58b7d0f57c18.jpg

Delicious!
    37774611-Grilled-Anchovies-Stock-Photo.jpg

Delicious!
    Boquerones-en-vinagre-21.jpg