As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] The last hurrah before the NeXt generation arrives.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    will it be shown on the Wii U or the NX I wonder

If they're smart, they'll show it off on NX Hardware using the Wii U controllers/Gamepad. They really need for this game to make the best fucking impression it can if it's going to be 90% (100%?) of their E3 and its not coming out until next March.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    will it be shown on the Wii U or the NX I wonder

WiiU for sure. I think it's been confirmed.
    Zython wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm okay with a full E3 of Zelda. But that's because there's nothing on the horizon that I'm all too interested in right now anyway. I'd rather see how the game plays and how people react to it.

Personally, I would like a cliff's notes version of what's new about the new Zelda. Do the stream, as well, of course. But I'd like 30 minutes of explanation, rather than 3 hours.

Oh I have no qualms with admitting that I'm in the severe minority in this feeling. I feel like this E3 was catered to me :P

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that's a bold move.

"here is a game that's years late showing on a console we're phasing out" "that is all!"

• Options
    Oh the NX version will look much better than this!

"Why can't we see that version?"

Please understand.

• Options
    Showing it on the NX using the WiiU tablet seems like an awful idea. People already have their panties in a twist about the game. Adding that will only make matters worse.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    No you're missing the point.

The reason to use the NX Hardware with Wii U controllers is because Nintendo specifically did not want to debut the NX at E3. So you can't just have them there playing the game on actual or prototype NX controllers.

And they aren't going to have a console on a table in full view, whatever it's actually running on will be out of sight. All they have to mention is that it is running on NX Hardware, and what you're seeing is representative of the NX version and what the NX is capable of.

This gives them an opportunity to show off Zelda looking as good as it possibly can without actually having to put the NX in any kind of spotlight or have it distract from the focus being on Zelda.

Viskod on
  • Options
    No I get the point. Intentionally mislead everyone by having the game running on a stronger hardware. Nintendo isn't going to pull a Sony!

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't see any positive outcome for that scenario.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Plus, Nintendo didn't say that NX wouldn't be "in the spotlight". They said NX wouldn't be at the show at all. Showing footage from an NX game is still revealing something about the NX.

• Options
    My disappointment in nintendo grows daily =(

• Options
    No I get the point. Intentionally mislead everyone by having the game running on a stronger hardware. Nintendo isn't going to pull a Sony!

Then you read and instantly forgot the part where they say that it is running on NX hardware for the purposes of the demo.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Then you read and instantly forgot the part where they say that it is running on NX hardware for the purposes of the demo.

But what is there to even gain from this? This would make everyone's first impression of the NX a port of a game designed for weaker hardware. Assuming the jump from U>NX is roughly equal to from PS3>PS4, then this is a disservice to it's capabilities. That would be like going back and making the first game shown for PS4 the port of that year's Call of Duty or Assassins' Creed.

Plus, for every one person who understood that it was NX hardware with a WiiU controller, there would probably be 5 people who didn't understand, and assume that it was representative of the WiiU version, who would then cry foul when the U version didn't look as good.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Why are we speculating about a thing that's not gonna happen

They've stated that the Wii U version of Zelda is what's gonna be at E3

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Dirty wrote: »

But what is there to even gain from this? This would make everyone's first impression of the NX a port of a game designed for weaker hardware. Assuming the jump from U>NX is roughly equal to from PS3>PS4, then this is a disservice to it's capabilities. That would be like going back and making the first game shown for PS4 the port of that year's Call of Duty or Assassins' Creed.

Plus, for every one person who understood that it was NX hardware with a WiiU controller, there would probably be 5 people who didn't understand, and assume that it was representative of the WiiU version, who would then cry foul when the U version didn't look as good.

Not to mention using a Wii U controller could lead to the same mixed messaging that plagued the Wii U in the first place.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    You're really trying your best to invent a problem just any way you can.

So someone is keen enough to be paying attention to what a presenter is holding in their hands, but not keen enough to understand the concept of a game running on NX hardware for the purpose of the demonstration when its specifically stated?

Also you have no idea that it would be like that, because we haven't seen anything about the NX. You're just grasping at straws for a problem for "reasons"

• Options
    I can't believe they're really not showing off their new console at the last E3 before that console is released.

There will be exactly zero hype for a console that isn't shown off and also won't be available for christmas.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    They aren't going to talk about NX at E3. It has been said by Nintendo in no uncertain terms.

Why the hell would they show the game that is the very core of their E3 presentation on something they don't want to address now?

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I can't believe they're really not showing off their new console at the last E3 before that console is released.

There will be exactly zero hype for a console that isn't shown off and also won't be available for christmas.

Do we really need to rehash the "E3 isn't nearly as relevant as you think it is" argument again?

They can release the info they want at any time they want and all the news sites will be all over it the second it happens. E3 is nice, but not nearly the information driving powerhouse it was back before the explosion of internet media.

It literally does not matter that they aren't showing it at E3. The hype will explode regardless, whenever they do release the info. Just look at how any detail (presumed or otherwise) is picked up already and circulated.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options

Do we really need to rehash the "E3 isn't nearly as relevant as you think it is" argument again?

They can release the info they want at any time they want and all the news sites will be all over it the second it happens. E3 is nice, but not nearly the information driving powerhouse it was back before the explosion of internet media.

It literally does not matter that they aren't showing it at E3. The hype will explode regardless, whenever they do release the info. Just look at how any detail (presumed or otherwise) is picked up already and circulated.

yeah, to us

on a video game forum

what we see everyday is not close to the kind of press E3 generates.

We might know every scrap of information on Linkle or the amount of RAM in a PS3 in 15 seconds, but most people don't.

• Options
    edited May 2016

yeah, to us

on a video game forum

We might know every scrap of information on Linkle or the amount of RAM in a PS3 in 15 seconds, but most people don't.

Most general public aren't tuning in to E3 either, at least nowhere near the way they used to. Once the announcement does go out it will be picked up by the same outlets that would have picked it up in E3 and circulated in the same way.

E3 is fast becoming just an arbitrary circus once a year. Which is a fine event, but increasingly less relevant with each passing year in terms of information.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Part of the most recent Bombcast was discussion how E3 has become increasingly less relevant and its hard to argue otherwise.

A lot of companies like doing their announcements outside of E3 now because you can have a more controlled message delivered to a very specific audience and not have to compete with a ton of other shit. Not to mention how much of a pain it must be on the developer end to put aside working on a game just to build a demo to show off at a convention, all the while knowing it was hastily thrown together and might not go well.

• Options

yeah, to us

on a video game forum

Most general public aren't tuning in to E3 either, at least nowhere near the way they used to. Once the announcement does go out it will be picked up by the same outlets that would have picked it up in E3 and circulated in the same way.

E3 is fast becoming just an arbitrary circus once a year. Which is a fine event, but increasingly less relevant with each passing year in terms of information.

I guess you could be right, but last E3, I got constant bombardment from every news outlet from NPR to Fox talking about this or the other thing. Other than those directly from E3, I can't think of any news I've seen outside of here or the usual sites (ign/etc.)

• Options

yeah, to us

on a video game forum

I guess you could be right, but last E3, I got constant bombardment from every news outlet from NPR to Fox talking about this or the other thing. Other than those directly from E3, I can't think of any news I've seen outside of here or the usual sites (ign/etc.)

Well as an example you now have Late Night shows showing off consoles and games. Conan has a whole bit dedicated to it and I recall Sony having a demo presentation on one of the shows as well for the PS4 with celebrities playing it and remarking on the features.

More and more people are getting their news from the internet and you can bet that the second Nintendo shows off their new console it will be all over the internet, well beyond just gaming sites.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Here's hoping!

I still think it's a bad idea to skip what is still (though it is apparently waning) the biggest expo of its type and launch 3 months after the biggest spending holiday in the world.

• Options
    I was thinking that with Sony and presumably Microsoft releasing these half step versions of their current consoles around then Nintendo postponed things to avoid the NX being confused as something like that?

But yeah, missing out on Christmas still sucks pretty bad regardless of the reason.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Nintendo holding a separate event to unveil the NX leads to them not having to share the spotlight with Sony, Microsoft and whatever else is going on at E3. I can definitely understand that approach.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Nintendo holding a separate event to unveil the NX leads to them not having to share the spotlight with Sony, Microsoft and whatever else is going on at E3. I can definitely understand that approach.

Not to mention that they might want to avoid announcing it outright too early to prevent hype from dissipating. XB1 & PS4 were formally announced about 6 months from release. The NX will probably be announce at a similar point.

• Options
    Also gives them time from December to March to advertise the living fuck out of it without spending 10 times the amount of money on ads, since it's election year.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Will the march release really hurt Nintendo that much? It's not like companies really do that large a percent of their total console sales in that first two months, and this means that when the holiday season does roll around, there will be plenty of supply, as well as more likely to be actual games people want.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Will the march release really hurt Nintendo that much?

No

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Will the march release really hurt Nintendo that much? It's not like companies really do that large a percent of their total console sales in that first two months, and this means that when the holiday season does roll around, there will be plenty of supply, as well as more likely to be actual games people want.

Only in that the rest of this year will have pretty darn weak sales overall.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Nintendo doesn't need E3 to get the word out. Tv and youtube ads would be huge. Get whatever the name is into peoples heads along with pretty pictures from some games.

I bring up youtube ads for the cord cutters like myself who wouldn't ever see a tv ad

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Nintendo doesn't need E3 to get the word out. Tv and youtube ads would be huge. Get whatever the name is into peoples heads along with pretty pictures from some games.

I bring up youtube ads for the cord cutters like myself who wouldn't ever see a tv ad

Not to mention Hulu.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular

Yes.

consolesales.jpg

You only get a fixed number of holiday seasons per console and it seems unfathomably stupid to not launch in the runup to one. Nine months is a long time for people to be distracted by other console announcements, big PC releases, flashier and more relevant Christmas gifts, and reflect on exactly how sparse your launch lineup was before skipping a holiday buy.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Those be some big ass Christmas spikes.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Those be some big ass Christmas spikes.

I often forget just how huge the Wii was for like 5 years.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »

Yes.

consolesales.jpg

You only get a fixed number of holiday seasons per console and it seems unfathomably stupid to not launch in the runup to one. Nine months is a long time for people to be distracted by other console announcements, big PC releases, flashier and more relevant Christmas gifts, and reflect on exactly how sparse your launch lineup was before skipping a holiday buy.

Well, the Q4 spikes are big, but the first one is the smallest for each of those consoles. For the 360, the fifth one is largest. Why couldn't launching in march just mean that its lifespan is shifted, so it has the same number of christmases, but just another one on the tail end? I'm not sure that missing ONE christmas is that bad, especially when it would be the worst selling one - and nintendo wants to really fight the perception of having no games.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »

Yes.

consolesales.jpg

Well, the Q4 spikes are big, but the first one is the smallest for each of those consoles. For the 360, the fifth one is largest. Why couldn't launching in march just mean that its lifespan is shifted, so it has the same number of christmases, but just another one on the tail end? I'm not sure that missing ONE christmas is that bad, especially when it would be the worst selling one - and nintendo wants to really fight the perception of having no games.

Yeah this doesn't make sense to me. If they release in March 2017, then it will sell big on Christmas 2017 (relative to the rest of 2017). Without a solid selection of launch titles who is gonna buy it Christmas 2016?

Much better for the thing to be completely ready with some games instead of rushed out.

This is assuming it will have many games in Christmas 2017 of course. I would wager that will still be a low season for the first year.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.