As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] The last hurrah before the NeXt generation arrives.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I thought there had been some sort of announcement, thanks.

I've got the disk, but I'm Captain Backlog and who knows when I'll be able to get to it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Do you guys think they will do the Treehouse thing where they play Zelda for 3 days @ E3?

I mean, I know they will do the Treehouse thing for 3 days, but what else will they be showing off for that length of time? Games that are already out?

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    I thought the E3 announcement said they were only doing the Treehouse for one day (streaming all Zelda, all the time). I could be wrong, though.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I thought a lot of the hubbub about Nintendo's E3 is a bit overblown because they specifically use language like "things will kick off with a day of Treehouse streaming the new Zelda" etc. It's always been about what will be happening on day one - though of course you'd think they would be talking about a week of streaming new games if that was happening. But just in terms of the info they've given us, they haven't been explicit yet.

EDIT: E3 floor plans just posted, Nintendo has plenty of space, looks like.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you still think Nintendo is going to show anything besides Zelda at E3. Maybe a new line of Zelda Amiibo or Zelda U/NX DLC for Hyrule Warriors.

Don't get me wrong, I would be happy to be wrong and pleasantly surprised. I just don't see that happening at this point.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    They were pretty careful to say that Zelda would be the only thing playable on the show floor, not that it would be the only upcoming game shown at all. But I agree that it's foolish to get your hopes up too far. I just think people have read into their statements too much.

For example there might be, I dunno, 3 Wii U games including Zelda, and 5 3DS games. And none of them high profile or mindblowing like a new Metroid or anything like that, likely some indies. That's about what I expect.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I still think they will absolutely show other games to the press behind closed doors (as they have always done). Honestly for the public though I think only having Zelda on the floor does make some sense given the apparent nature of the demo (seems long?) and wanting to keep lines down. Everyone is there for Zelda anyways...

If they don't actually announce anything else, like through a digital event, that will be disappointing though :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    If NX is off the table, what can they really announce? There can't be THAT many more games in the development cycle for Wii U.

I guess since they haven't officially said NX will be replacing both the Wii U and 3DS, they could still have some 3DS games in tow?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Beltaine wrote: »
    If NX is off the table, what can they really announce? There can't be THAT many more games in the development cycle for Wii U.

I guess since they haven't officially said NX will be replacing both the Wii U and 3DS, they could still have some 3DS games in tow?

I mean, I would hope they have SOMETHING coming between now and March for Wii U and 3DS... Otherwise they're in quite a bit of trouble...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I mean, I would hope they have SOMETHING coming between now and March for Wii U and 3DS... Otherwise they're in quite a bit of trouble...

Of course they do, it's just that, for some reason, they're not showing off those games at E3.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Maz- wrote: »

Of course they do, it's just that, for some reason, they're not showing off those games at E3.

I still think they are going to do something... Maybe not a digital event, but I think along the lines of when they announced Codename STEAM by showing it to the press. I think we'll get a couple like that perhaps. And I feel like there has to be a Direct or something coming if there isn't a digital event considering they have literally two games announced beyond June (Pokémon and Paper Mario)

Edit: Oh wait, and Federation Force... Haha, how could I have possibly forgotten that highly anticipated game? :3

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »

I still think they are going to do something... Maybe not a digital event, but I think along the lines of when they announced Codename STEAM by showing it to the press. I think we'll get a couple like that perhaps. And I feel like there has to be a Direct or something coming if there isn't a digital event considering they have literally two games announced beyond June (Pokémon and Paper Mario)

Edit: Oh wait, and Federation Force... Haha, how could I have possibly forgotten that highly anticipated game? :3

There are plenty of other games, at least on the 3DS, and they're undoubtedly gonna announce more at some point..but apparently not at E3.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Not exactly Wii U thread material but relevant to the conversation, as an example of games on Nintendo's platforms at E3 that was just announced:

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    There was just a new Skylanders game announced that's coming to the Wii U (and lesser platforms), dropping on October 16'th.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Ah yes, the Honorable Mention award winner when it comes to digital farming.

Rune Factory, Bokujou Monogatari AKA Harvest Moon Story of Seasons, and Stardew Valley all remain a league ahead.

Let's hope it can at least catch up to Stardew Valley this time, a game a solo dev managed to produce.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks huh? June crept up fast.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Paper Quickly Crapped Out Cheap Game Mario?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm guessing Captain Toad 2 will be announced at E3. Seems like it would be pretty easy to crap out a sequel to fill a barren schedule.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Besides LEGO and Skylanders games, I think these are the big titles we know are coming out on the Wii U between now and the end of the year:
    • Mighty Number 9
    • Tokyo Mirage Sessions
    • Mario And Sonic At The Rio 2016 Olympic Games
    • Paper Mario: Color Splash

3DS is looking a lot better, what with Pokemon and other JRPGs, as well as a new Kirby game. Also, that unannounced N-Stars game.

post.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Damn

Between Twilight Princess HD and TMS#FE, I'm apparently going to buy a grand total of two games in a calendar year for a current system

That's kinda insane

I wonder when the hell Nintendo's gonna show off the NX

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Damn

Between Twilight Princess HD and TMS#FE, I'm apparently going to buy a grand total of two games in a calendar year for a current system

That's kinda insane

If it's coming out in March, I would imagine a September/October reveal.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    It's been a while since we've had a new NX rumor.

https://youtu.be/elLfl9wgA1A

post.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Not even gonna click the play button on that

No way Nintendo goes anywhere near VR in its current state

It's still too much of an unknown and still way too expensive

• Options
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I'm glad to be wrong, as having two games instead of one has already exceeded my very low expectations. Maybe we'll get a third shown as well?

I don't mean to sound super sarcastic, either. I'm genuinely glad there is going to be more than just Zelda shown.

Cokomon on
    post.png
  • Options
    Cokomon wrote: »
    I'm glad to be wrong, as having two games instead of one has already exceeded my very low expectations. Maybe we'll get a third shown as well?

I don't mean to sound super sarcastic, either. I'm genuinely glad there is going to be more than just Zelda shown.

Well, it's already three games now. Four if you count Sun & Moon as separate ones :rotate:

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »

Well that's impossible, given your avatar. Everything you say is in her voice from now on.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    What about Pikmin 4? Or is that a thing we don't expect to hear about again til the nx?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Some more E3 info:
    Nintendo heads to E3 once again and brings the coverage directly to you with a two-day program from Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3! Tune in starting at 9 a.m. PT on June 14 for a day of live-streaming gameplay focused on The Legend of Zelda for Wii U and first live gameplay of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon that kicks off the program!

Day 2 of Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3 will showcase upcoming releases for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, including Monster Hunter Generations, Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE! Day 2 will start with a special Pokémon GO developer Q&A at 10 a.m. PT on June 15

Mulletude wrote: »
    What about Pikmin 4? Or is that a thing we don't expect to hear about again til the nx?

Probably, yeah.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, wow, it IS June. Man, the year just kind of went by.

• Options
    I get the feeling Day 2 of the Treehouse will finally have that Mother 3 (Earthbound Endings) reveal.

post.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Damn

That's kinda insane

TMS#FE is going to be the second game I get for the system.

Like total. And I don't know if there will be a third, I guess maybe new Zelda if it's on both?

So yea there's a chance I will have a system that I only ever owned 2 games for.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    There isn't a single game from the wii u's excellent library your interested in getting?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    To me, this is the time to hit the old backlog, and hard.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Damn

That's kinda insane

Like total. And I don't know if there will be a third, I guess maybe new Zelda if it's on both?

So yea there's a chance I will have a system that I only ever owned 2 games for.

Maybe make more informed purchases in the future?

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, not owning a Wii, my Wii+WiiU game library has eclipsed all of my other libraries at this point, including PS3 and PS4. But I went into it knowing I tend to enjoy most Nintendo games so I knew there would be plenty of stuff to pick up. It's the system I've gotten the most use out of thus far.

I'm sure that will change as more PS4 stuff comes out, but I tend to only get certain game types for PS4 so even that may not happen.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    There isn't a single game from the wii u's excellent library your interested in getting?

Zelda U =/

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I want that Nintendo mod/skin pack for Minecraft, but on PC. It looks really awesome but the console versions are really limited in size and that is not funzies.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Dirty wrote: »
    Damn

That's kinda insane

Maybe make more informed purchases in the future?

That's pretty random?

I never said I regret the purchase or anything.

I would happily buy any system that has at least one game for it I want to play.

It's just never quite turned out that I found so few other games to buy for a system before.

Heck I bought an XBOX just for Jet Set Radio Future. But I ended up getting a few other games for that one as time passed.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

If you're someone who can appreciate many diverse game genres, then the Wii U brings a lot to the table.

If you're someone whose primary interest is one particular genre, and that genre isn't 2D sidescroller or mini-game compilation, then yeah, you're going to end up only buying 1 or 2 Wii U games, if you even bother to pick up the thing at all.

I understand how @DemonStacey feels.

This discussion has been closed.