As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Winter Rift is Coming

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I continue to play Nasus badly, (4/7/7) yet somehow still manage to win more often than not. I wonder if the game is trying to tell me something.

Nasus you just have to not get stomped early and he'll carry you through

Free lifesteal, Q everything you can, spiritfire waves if you can't get close, don't die.

Eventually one shot carries while laughing at their puny damage

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    I continue to play Nasus badly, (4/7/7) yet somehow still manage to win more often than not. I wonder if the game is trying to tell me something.

Free lifesteal, Q everything you can, spiritfire waves if you can't get close, don't die.

The weird thing is that I'm playing the Quasus E max build for lane pressure, which means I don't really get a lot of stacks. Like at all. But somehow I rush Triforce or Zzrot, and later on I can take towers fast as heck anyway even with sub-300 stacks if left alone for any length of time. E max also lets me push opponents out of lane surprisingly effectively.

I do feel that my 1v1 damage is low, perhaps because I have no AD in my runes and am going for AS instead of AD, per the Quas build. I have considered trying Grasp instead of Stormraiders, which is the "optimal" keystone for Nasus per the mains.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Koreg wrote: »
    I played two games with a super competent Lucian as my ADC with me as support VelKoz. There wasn't a lot anyone could do to us between my stuns/slows and his insane damage output. We only died when we would get sloppy and waayyy overextend.

Is Lucian really strong? Or was this guy actually just good?

Lucian is actually in the dumpster right now. Fervor nerf hit him hard on top of already not being that strong. He has the 16th place win rate among ADCs right now. Right now, Vayne, Twitch, Jhin, and Caitlyn are the top ADCs.

Champs like Lucian, MF, and Draven relied on early flat armor pen itemization which has been nerfed, and combined with the nerf of Fervor, Vayne and Twitch with Warlord's can survive laning against them and are just better champs if they aren't stomped in lane.

But good play trumps a relatively weak champion any day.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Oh my, this is too hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxuQIljddGM&feature=youtu.be

When Ryze decides to ult incredibly stupidly and two of his teammates get their lives ruined purely by bad luck. Though if I was that Poppy, I'd have told them it was calculated. =P

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Draven and MF never took Fervor anyways though. MF took DFT, Draven takes Warlord's so he's impossible to kill.

One of the best Poppy ult shenanigans I've seen was a Zyra getting blown back while Brand's explosion was ticking on her. While in flight, she exploded near someone low enough to die to the bomb. Zyra died soon after landing.

butts
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Was bad phrasing, wasn't suggesting that MF and Draven needed Fervor. They needed early armor pen to bully Vayne in lane, now it's nerfed and she can survive laning and is a better champ than they are if not squashed in lane. It's just the fervor nerf combined with the armor pen nerfs that mean Vayne and Twitch can survive laning against basically anybody now and be better later.

My favorite Poppy ult was one where Tahm ate a Veigar and Poppy ulted the Tahm with Veigar in his mouth back to Tahm's inhib tower where he spit him out and Veig died to the tower. Hilarious.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I played two games with a super competent Lucian as my ADC with me as support VelKoz. There wasn't a lot anyone could do to us between my stuns/slows and his insane damage output. We only died when we would get sloppy and waayyy overextend.

Lucian is not insanely strong, but he has a strong laning phase (and especially very strong lvl 1-2) with someone who knows how to play him nice and aggressively. Especially when paired with a damage support like Vel'koz (or you might see the classic 'wifesteal' lane of Lucian+Thresh. It's good because Thresh can force the enemy to fight Lucian when he's at his strongest early.)

Do you find that as a new player, the expanded selection of free supports right now is encouraging you to try out more supports?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    In preparation for next season, I'm trying to expand the list of supports I think I can carry on. Last season, my only winning supports were Zyra, Sona, and Nautilus, at 59%, 59%, and 54%. To be fair, I didn't accumulate tons of stats on any other support except Nami, with whom I most definitely had a losing winrate.

When I play normals, I feel like I carry on any support, so it's not very helpful to me. Still, I think I should practice a bunch of support now so I'm ready for when they implement 10 bans and Zyra is never available (or is nerfed into unplayability.) I've spent significant time with basically all supports except for Alistar and Blitzcrank. And Zilean, if he counts.

Options:
    Karma: Karma feels like a completely safe pick regardless of team comp and lane. I should practice more as her so I can feel happy selecting her if I'm first pick. Need to make sure I'm not always reflexively R+Q when obviously R+E is so good in team fights! Also try not to die so much in the pursuit of great stuns.

Brand: should work on a backup to Zyra for the mage carry. I'm better at Vel'koz, but I think Brand is stronger. I totally need to learn to aim though, and also to get a more instinctive sense of his mana consumption.

Janna: ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    I don't fucking want to play Janna
    No, you know what, I am not going to play Janna; I am not willing to sacrifice fun for elo

Who is my choice to pick into a really assassin-heavy comp where I think I might just get instagibbed as a mage support? Should I learn Alistar? He has more immediate peel than Nautilus. He seems extraordinarily unfun to play. He would also test my sometimes questionable sense of when to engage, but that's a good thing, maybe. Hmmm.
    ....could I become the Tahm Kench player I was always meant to be? It's so hard not to troll unintentionally on that champion (busy teamfight, try to eat an enemy, end up eating a friend because models overlap).

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

Lucian is not insanely strong, but he has a strong laning phase (and especially very strong lvl 1-2) with someone who knows how to play him nice and aggressively. Especially when paired with a damage support like Vel'koz (or you might see the classic 'wifesteal' lane of Lucian+Thresh. It's good because Thresh can force the enemy to fight Lucian when he's at his strongest early.)

Do you find that as a new player, the expanded selection of free supports right now is encouraging you to try out more supports?

Good to know. The person I played with said he was slumming it out of his lvl 30 acct.

The only reason I actually started playing Vel'koz is because he is a giant floating eye. I ended up buying him as my first character solely so I could get the Battlecast skin, so I look like a sentinel from the Matrix. It turns out I really like to play him too so that helps, as he has everything I like in a character. Skillshots galore, long range, and once I get a better feel for cast/travel times for my spells I can be an aggressive monster to squishy ADC and keep tanks off of me.

I may try a few of the other supports out, I don't have that many games under my belt yet, so I'm trying to first find a few characters that I like and get a good feel for the game before I get a broad group of chars I feel good playing.

As a new player the main issue I have with LoL is the sheer number of characters. I feel like every game I have to bang my head against the wall once or twice when a new character I've never seen and end up ganking me because of it. Last game it was a giant dude with a glaive that he can throw/warp to.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options

Good to know. The person I played with said he was slumming it out of his lvl 30 acct.

The only reason I actually started playing Vel'koz is because he is a giant floating eye. I ended up buying him as my first character solely so I could get the Battlecast skin, so I look like a sentinel from the Matrix. It turns out I really like to play him too so that helps, as he has everything I like in a character. Skillshots galore, long range, and once I get a better feel for cast/travel times for my spells I can be an aggressive monster to squishy ADC and keep tanks off of me.

I may try a few of the other supports out, I don't have that many games under my belt yet, so I'm trying to first find a few characters that I like and get a good feel for the game before I get a broad group of chars I feel good playing.

As a new player the main issue I have with LoL is the sheer number of characters. I feel like every game I have to bang my head against the wall once or twice when a new character I've never seen and end up ganking me because of it. Last game it was a giant dude with a glaive that he can throw/warp to.

Makes sense! I just jumped back into hots for a few games after a year off (because of the promotion) and I was like "....what. Who on earth are all of these champions and also where are the builds I used to do for my guys and also I forgot what key to hit to jump on my horse and uhhhhh I guess I'll just push this wave or whatever". It's overwhelming to have all these characters with abilities that are totally unknown.

I recommend alt-tabbing during the loading screen and skimming through the lolwiki page for all the characters you don't know in your game, prioritizing the enemy teammates. That way at least you'll have some idea...but I promise you eventually get to know every champion in depth.

Yeah, I love Vel'koz both on his appearance and because he is the most realistic of the scientist characters. I used to play him mid a lot, then I stopped but I am not really sure why--I think cause I was outputting a lot of damage but not actually winning games.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    If you haven't played Alistar since the patch, give him a shot. He got a bit of an under the assassin radar rework. His passive lets him build stacks that eventually let him get a stun on his next AA, and his E isn't a boring "use this heal for sustain in lane" button any more.

I don't like playing support at all, but Ali's usually one of my go to picks if I ever play the role, because he can peel or initiate depending on what your team needs, and like most tanks, the new CoC mastery is great on him.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Ali is REALLY REALLY REALLY strong right now.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I need to try Janna with the CC-shield mastery.

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Ali is REALLY REALLY REALLY strong right now.

But the question is: can I play him or will he just highlight my bad judgment wrt teamfight timing? Should I be trusted with such definitive initiation?
    Also I have actually never played him, I think, so I'll have to spend a game or two learning the mechanics.

• Options
    I mean Ali isn't even in the top 20 support win rates right now, so I wouldn't say he's a power pick. He's just reliable in what he can do.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    So I really dumpstered my ranking for flex queue by jumping into placements after a complete year off, heh. But now that I've just settled back into playing ADC and picking Vayne/Twitch I'm climbing again. My last game I had Teemo support with my Twitch who was about as useful as you'd expect. I asked him to get a sightstone and ward even though he was playing an off meta pick and he thought i was flaming him. Then he died early and I didn't use my heal, which I admitted was a mistake on my part, and he got so mad that the next time I had an all in he just stood there in stealth and didn't help at all, so I traded 1 for 1 and killed the ADC but died.

Then he just split pushed all game, and he thought he was doing something good but really it was just our dominant Renek top, Rengar jungle, and me carrying him and our Morgana mid. He ended up like 2/8 and I ended up like 14/5.

Hilariously the enemy team was chasing our team for kills so bad that I got the inhib tower and the inhib in 2 different lanes on separate plays and still got out alive. That silver/low gold ELO life. Was one of those games where I wanted the Teemo to lose because he in no way deserved to win, but whatever, not going to tank the game for the other 3 teammates just to spite him.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    support stuff

Karma's probably a good pick. I would probably stay with Vel'koz over Brand if you're better with him--Brand has more damage, I think, but he's more in the middle of fights than the professor. I like Alistar and Tahm as bodyguard supports, and have you tried Poppy? Against comps with gap closers she fits the bill for a defensive support.

@credeiki also I need to get back into HotS for free stuff so yeah

You have the right attitude. I'm sure you've heard this advice, but try all the free champions! At least a game or two when you get the chance. With a roster this big there's bound to be a few you enjoy.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    I dunno if it's just because it's preseason, but man my flex ranked games have been toxic as hell compared to what they were a year ago when I was playing regularly.

Word is solo queue is coming Monday, so yay.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

The weird thing is that I'm playing the Quasus E max build for lane pressure, which means I don't really get a lot of stacks. Like at all. But somehow I rush Triforce or Zzrot, and later on I can take towers fast as heck anyway even with sub-300 stacks if left alone for any length of time. E max also lets me push opponents out of lane surprisingly effectively.

I do feel that my 1v1 damage is low, perhaps because I have no AD in my runes and am going for AS instead of AD, per the Quas build. I have considered trying Grasp instead of Stormraiders, which is the "optimal" keystone for Nasus per the mains.

Grasp is a lot better for Nasus. More sustain and more damage for 1v1s as well as filling out your defense tree. Maxing E is a viable strategy, but try to only use it against folks that will push you to tower. If you push too hard without wardimg up, its a free kill for the enemy jungler. Try to only push it hard enough to keep it off your tower.

For runes, I don't feel Nasus needs AS. His q is an attack reset. But whatever helps you through the lane.

• Options
    Yeah, IMO the E max push Nasus should only be used in a lane where you need to just farm and will lose hard if you just try to sit and Q stack.

• Options
    E max Nasus is so that you ease the pressure off your jungle and other two lanes by forcing the enemy jungler to come up top or lose the turret early and so that rather than waiting thirty minutes to anything besides farm Q, you actually have presence thirty minutes into the game. Because your ult does percent max HP damage, whither exists, and your E shreds flat armor, you still have presence later on in the game. You just aren't Big Dog.

The entire premise of the build/strategy is to drag the enemy jungler up top and still walk away like nothing happened. You are the exact opposite of the traditional Nasus setup.

butts
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Yeah, IMO the E max push Nasus should only be used in a lane where you need to just farm and will lose hard if you just try to sit and Q stack.

Right, and usually you only need to take it to lvl 3. Like vs. a teemo.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    The Nasus AS runes are used under the premise that if the opponent fights you in your E, losing resistances all the while, you will be doing close to true damage anyway, especially once you cut their output with W also. Also allows you to sustain back up faster.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    http://eune.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/champions-skins/champion-update/ability-update-shyvana

Changes coming down the pipe for Shyvana:

Passive is now additional damage to Drakes, free resistances, additional free resistances for every Drake her team kills
    Dragon Form W no longer leaves a flame trail, instead gets bigger AoE
    Dragon Form E now explodes at target location instead of being a cone or being max distance single. Being in explosion takes more damage. Also scorches the ground at the explosion for more damage if you stay in it.
    Dragon's Descent now does less damage, travels shorter distance, gains health instead of resistance when in Dragon Form, but is now uninterruptible.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Does she do bonus damage to other Shyvanas or Aurelion Sols? They're both dragons too, to varying degrees.

butts
  • Options
    Ooh, that bigger AOE on dragon W sounds fun for team fights. Also, uninterruptible R will be very nice.

• Options
    Sit in queue for 4 minutes as bot/mid. Get mid for the first time in a while. Gonna be against a Zed. Think long and hard during this eons long champ select. Decide to play Cho'gath. I'm feeling good. Gonna be a tank, let my MF and Rengar jungle be the high damage and just disrupt and be fat.

10 minutes after I start the queue, we're in here. I'm ready to rock. Oh, Rengar is afk. So we wait until it will let us and do a remake. I hate the waste of time, but I'm so glad they put in the remake feature after so damn long. It wasn't there the last time I was playing a lot.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I gotta admit I'm jealous of people with Rengar and Kha'Zix. Very nearly every game I've been in or watched in the last week has had one (or both), and they look like so much fun. Even when they get behind early it doesn't matter because later they still leap all over and kill like crazy. But I bought some runes recently so I'm IP poor. Stupid IP welfare system.

Actually I get similar feelings watching Olaf, Lee Sin, sometimes XZ... it feels like I'm on the back foot trying to calculate this and get farm there and they are just running around the map in a bloodthirsty rage and it works. Maybe I should stop trying to think so much and just pick a clear route and then go try to kill whoever's close.

Ok I typed that, then decided to just try it rather than post it. It went pretty well:
    Q63ERx7.jpg
    Bw4Ba6B.jpg
    Felt really great actually, especially with enemy jungler being Rengar.

• Options
    Jookie wrote: »
    Does she do bonus damage to other Shyvanas or Aurelion Sols? They're both dragons too, to varying degrees.

She does not.
    Ooh, that bigger AOE on dragon W sounds fun for team fights. Also, uninterruptible R will be very nice.

Yeah, it's great, she goes from Vayne being able to Condemn her on the way in to Condemning her instantly after she lands!

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

She does not.

Yeah, it's great, she goes from Vayne being able to Condemn her on the way in to Condemning her instantly after she lands!

Yeah, but at least you can hit her once first maybe, lol. Also, I'd rather get condemned from melee range than mid flight. Shyv definitely still suffers from kiteability, and I don't know if these changes will make her worthwhile, but in s5 I did heavy work farming so hard I was as fed as a 2nd top laner out of the jungle with Shyv and becoming hard to deal with. Maybe we could recapture some of that magic. Maybe with how relatively tough the new jungle is early she can get back to shining where she originally did as a counter jungler.

• Options
    Also, I'm really not sure what Illaoi even does, but it sure hurts when she's fed. We had a Darius top lane who banned Teemo and faced her, and he fed to shit. She got pretty unstoppable, and it turned into that thing where the pressure top lane and inability to even 1v2 her led to us eventually getting rolled on.

• Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

She does not.

Yeah, but at least you can hit her once first maybe, lol. Also, I'd rather get condemned from melee range than mid flight. Shyv definitely still suffers from kiteability, and I don't know if these changes will make her worthwhile, but in s5 I did heavy work farming so hard I was as fed as a 2nd top laner out of the jungle with Shyv and becoming hard to deal with. Maybe we could recapture some of that magic. Maybe with how relatively tough the new jungle is early she can get back to shining where she originally did as a counter jungler.

I miss S2 counterjungler Shyv but the game is just different these days. It's so much harder to counterjungle because frankly the playerbase has gotten better at recognizing you need to work with and help protect your jungler against solo invades.

She has a pretty easy time of new jungle at least.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Ah Vayne. From 2/2 in laning to 12/4, 3 shotting a Yasuo with the greatest of ease. This really is my favorite champ, even if she is going to have to eat some nerfs.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    ascension two weeks in a row.

really riot? your most boring game mode twice in a row?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »

actually summoner's rift is always available

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »

actually summoner's rift is always available

summoner's sadness.

gross.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Am I to believe there are people who play league of legends who just play the silly modes?

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    would it truly be strange that a game with 10 million players would have a huge variety of playstyles represented in that base

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Also, I'm really not sure what Illaoi even does, but it sure hurts when she's fed. We had a Darius top lane who banned Teemo and faced her, and he fed to shit. She got pretty unstoppable, and it turned into that thing where the pressure top lane and inability to even 1v2 her led to us eventually getting rolled on.
    That's...actually what Illaoi does. Darius can win the lane early I think but that's about it. He has a chance of executing her with ult in an all in post six but the healing associated with tentacles makes that really rough, especially if she's ulted. If she's ahead she's stupidly hard to 1v2, even 1v3 because you have to approach her tentacles as champions as well. Fighting in narrow corridors, especially in the jungle, can be over just as fast against her as they are against a well placed Orianna combo.

butts
  • Options
    SR is league of legends. That's the thing. I can get playing silly modes for a break like ARAM, but when people are like yeah man all I play is doom bots or whatever and not as a side thing but just as the only thing, I find that pretty weird. I mean I don't care what people like to play, it just seems odd to me. It'd be like if somebody told me they bought Uncharted 4 but only to play the multiplayer, they weren't going to play through the story.