Options

[FFRK] FF7 Golden Saucer Dating Sim continues. New DU tomorrow night.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Looks like only a few more hours for me to down Mateus. It's not the end of the world if I don't beat it, but it would be nice. Sleep is such a pain to use a skill slot for.
    If you happen to have a weapon with a Sleep proc, you could try that way if you really can't squeeze in an ability. A Crushing Blow (Lightning SSB) equipped with something like an Ultima Sword IX would actually have a pretty good chance to put an Azer to sleep before murdering it. If you had oodles of spare time, you could trawl through http://ffrk.logicaltrinkets.com/ to see if someone happens to have that exact setup for an RW.

Phantasm is 50% sleep, Lullaby is ~49% to put at least one to sleep. Or you can roll the dice on Sleep / Sleep Buster (30%).

Fry on
  • Options
    Windsday is being exceptionally generous today. 3 Majors (1 Lightning, 2 Wind) and the day's not even half over yet!

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Looks like only a few more hours for me to down Mateus. It's not the end of the world if I don't beat it, but it would be nice. Sleep is such a pain to use a skill slot for.
    If you happen to have a weapon with a Sleep proc, you could try that way if you really can't squeeze in an ability. A Crushing Blow (Lightning SSB) equipped with something like an Ultima Sword IX would actually have a pretty good chance to put an Azer to sleep before murdering it. If you had oodles of spare time, you could trawl through http://ffrk.logicaltrinkets.com/ to see if someone happens to have that exact setup for an RW.

Phantasm is 50% sleep, Lullaby is ~49% to put at least one to sleep. Or you can roll the dice on Sleep / Sleep Buster (30%).

I feel that if you're going to use a RW to fulfill the sleep condition, just find a Turk's Bomb (Reno) RW for 100% sleep chance on everything. At that point you don't even need to kill the Ice Azers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

I feel that if you're going to use a RW to fulfill the sleep condition, just find a Turk's Bomb (Reno) RW for 100% sleep chance on everything. At that point you don't even need to kill the Ice Azers.

I can set that as my RW if people want it.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I just championed it. Brought a long a Lvl 80 Crushing Blow. Shadow managed to put one to sleep just before all the azers were executed. (i did have to reload once when phatasm whiffed sleeping twice)

Party:
    67 Balth: Thundaga Strike R1 / Lifesphon R2 / Strahl Strafe / High Scorer
    80 Paladin Cecil: R2 Banishing Strike / R2 Shellga / Rampart / Sky Pirate's Pride
    67 Tifa: R2 Lifesiphon / R4 Kick/ Burning Arrow / Pugilist's Lore
    65 Shadow: R3 Tempo Flurry / R1 Phantasm / Shuriken Strike (LOL) / Cold Steel
    65 Relm: R2 Protectga / R4 Curaga / Portrait of Lakshmi / Light of the Fayth

Also, it turns out what i thought was a generic XII staff is actually Penelo's staff, so i'm happy i unlocked Penelo's MC2. Gonna drop this rosetta stone into Balth's gun.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Cold Steel is kind of awful, it's +20% damage to basic attack only, and you should almost never be using basic attacks. High Scorer is also not great (improves basic attack from 10% SB generation to 13% SB generation), for the same reason.

Hopefully Tifa will drop Zangan Way (+20% fist dmg, which is great and I use all the time) for you soon, as it's a strict upgrade to Pugilist's Lore (+10% fist dmg)

• Options
    Nice, it's always good to have the MC2 for somebody you have a unique SB for. Which Penelo staff do you have? The first one is situationally great, the second one (the SSB) is pretty much always good unless the enemy absorbs holy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Windsday is being exceptionally generous today. 3 Majors (1 Lightning, 2 Wind) and the day's not even half over yet!

I got five greens drops yesterday.

So of course, I haven't even so much as seen a magic pot today.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Nice, it's always good to have the MC2 for somebody you have a unique SB for. Which Penelo staff do you have? The first one is situationally great, the second one (the SSB) is pretty much always good unless the enemy absorbs holy.

The first one, "War Dance", which I don't see replacing Portrait anytime soon, but it's nice to have another Party Heal in case for some reason I need it.
    Cold Steel is kind of awful, it's +20% damage to basic attack only, and you should almost never be using basic attacks. High Scorer is also not great (improves basic attack from 10% SB generation to 13% SB generation), for the same reason.

Hopefully Tifa will drop Zangan Way (+20% fist dmg, which is great and I use all the time) for you soon, as it's a strict upgrade to Pugilist's Lore (+10% fist dmg)

Yeah, not a huge fan of cold steel, but shadow's default SB isn't great so i figured it would be a minor upgrade. My ninja hones were subpar, so it was just making the best out of a not great situation there. My party\hones are at the level where i basic attack way more than most people, near the end of the bigger boss fights.

Steam
  • Options
    Until such time as you get better hones/gear/soul breaks, you can always just run two WHM, with one of them being setup with Protectga/Diaga(or Diara depending on orb availability) and the other with Shellga/Curaga(Curaja eventually). Absolutely Chocobo Brush is better than War Dance, but there's nothing inherently wrong with running a second WHM as an offensive caster if you are short on good gear and hones for other classes. The first two Ultimates that I cleared I brought two WHM because I only really had good stuff for four characters and a couple extra generic healing staves.

It sounds like you're well on your way in the game, and having two options for Medica is great. If nothing else you can use Penelo when you are doing stuff where you don't need Chocobo Brush if/when Relm hits the level cap. I'm hoping to score a Medica or two in a few weeks on the WHM Lucky Draw, but of course no guarantees.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I also have Wyrmfang for Vanille's Oerba's Boon. And Lenna's full revive before i found any of the other medicas. My problem is offensive SB gear, which is why Shadow made it in my party with a terrible SB and RM.

Steam
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Paladin Knight characters are great for running a double WHM setup. P. Cecil was a staple on the team for the longest time because Agrias or Beatrix weren't available for ages, and even when Beatrix was out, she was subpar because P. Cecil had an RM2 to cap at 80.

It was also right around Beatrix's introduction that they really started fleshing out Knight abilities to be great. They had a few before then, but nothing amazing. Banishing Strike and Saint Cross really define a Knight's offensive role, with a good selection of defensive tools even if they can't cast 4* WHM stuff. Knights like Auron, Gilgamesh and Basch make teams for different reasons, but if you need more defensive support, you can't go wrong with P. Cecil/Beatrix/Agrias.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited May 2016
    E:
    Nevermind.

I can't read.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I also have Wyrmfang for Vanille's Oerba's Boon. And Lenna's full revive before i found any of the other medicas. My problem is offensive SB gear, which is why Shadow made it in my party with a terrible SB and RM.

Yeah I had a severe lack of offensive SB power for a very, very long time. Until the Tactics banner, in fact, and I started right before the second event with both Cecils began. Once I finally got my first multiple hit physical SB things just kind of snowballed from there, and now I have actual options and it's a good feeling.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Elnoyle was amazingly simple compared to... Uh... Whatsisname with the snowflakes. Is that just fortunate, or are some +++ etc fights really just easier than others to this degree?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Elnoyle was amazingly simple compared to... Uh... Whatsisname with the snowflakes. Is that just fortunate, or are some +++ etc fights really just easier than others to this degree?

Lemme tell you about Soulcage.

(yes)

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »

(yes)

Fine by me, I'd rather 1-shot something than pull my hair out.

Edit: Am definitely lacking hones/DPS though. Especially on breakdowns.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Statwise, Mateus and Elnoyle are pretty comparable. Elnoyle has a bit more HP, DEF, and RES, but if you spend much effort at all on the Azers, that's a wash. The multipliers are a bit bigger on Elnoyle's attacks, but if you don't deal with the Azers right away, that fight races way ahead on damage output (particularly since you probably don't have them broken unless you brought a dancer), and there's that guaranteed AOE doublecast that Mateus does at 50% HP. There's also an attention-splitting aspect: if you have to spend time and mental energy choosing targets (Mateus), you're not going to be taking as many turns as if you can go on autotarget (Elnoyle). Overall, on paper it doesn't surprise me that people think Elnoyle is easier.

• Options
    edited May 2016

My first +++ was FFV's three pigs. 300,000 HP, split between three mage spamming bosses, all with different elemental weaknesses (and absorbing each other's), and all of them needed to be killed at basically the same time, or they'd revive to full life and petrify a character. But hey, one of them could be put to sleep. So there was that.

It was... a bit impossible for someone just starting a few weeks prior, although I cleared every +++ after that with some struggling and mass S/Ling until the SSBFest/Hall of Rites and my mitigation and damage output skyrocketed overnight.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DaffyddDaffydd Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

(yes)

Took me a couple of S/Ls to get a good start on that one. Advantaliate+synergy with trinity was great while it lasted... Not somuch anymore. I tell ya, lacking damage SSBs I don't know what I'd do now without Cleansing Strike.

And yes, there are trivially easy Ultimates (Yunalesca, using Advantauntaliate) and there are nightmarish monsters (Beatrix and Vossler - I'm not counting Bahamut SIN, that thing was broken and not designed for when it came out). I found Bergan the most challenging +++ in a long time.

• Options
    I got pretty lucky with Bergan and got confuse up early on the bottom two judges, who then proceeded to hit Bergan and the top judge instead of each other. Then I just focused him down. I do actually have pretty great gear, though, especially for XII, so that undoubtedly helped. Pretty sure all of my DPS characters were over 400 attack for that fight without Shout. It might end up being a very different case when the new ultimates drop Thursday evening though, I have a Betrayal Sword and Fujin's Chakram as my only synergy weapons. I am looking forward to it, it's more fun if things are a bit challenging instead of a cakewalk.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or did the +++ have really high physical resistance?

Or maybe it's just because I don't have much in the way of 8 synergy.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Decided to try a second pull on the BSB banner. 11 3 stars. Fuck you game, I'm not playing you today.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I am looking forward to us never getting JPs rolling gacha or guaranteed 5* on an 11 pull

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    "Global and Japan are two different games."

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Is it just me, or did the +++ have really high physical resistance?

Or maybe it's just because I don't have much in the way of 8 synergy.

Elnoyle has pretty high DEF. More than Mateus or Bergan, still quite a bit less than Cid.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Christ. I'm slowly making my way through the FF6 elites.... I'm nearing the bottom and I'm on the one where the standard mobs can spawn the cursed chests or whatever that basically hit your entire team with Confuse, Blind, and Poison. On more than one occasion they've pit me against 3 of them at once.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Today is the greatest of days.

Squall finally dropped Lionheart.

• Options
    Now send his emo ass to the barracks where he can rot with everyone else.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Shamus wrote: »

I'm up to 2 full FF8 events cleared without getting Gunblade, also spent like ~50 stamina in the 2 stam level last one trying to get it to drop.

Squall is a jerk.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Thought I'd go Mandragora hunting today, since I hadn't seen them yet. And I found them!

...they dropped a Major White, of course. :/

• Options
    Thought I'd go Mandragora hunting today, since I hadn't seen them yet. And I found them!

What is that?

Steam
  • Options
    edited May 2016

What is that?

A 5% spawn of enemies in the 90 difficulty section of the FFXII event. 5 enemies, each with roughly 16000HP, they don't hit too hard, but can gang up on you if you're unprepared/not expecting them. When they die, they always drop a Major Orb (Black or White) and are collectively worth about 90000 exp (with mastering the stage, you easily earn 200000 in total).

El Fantastico on

• Options
    So that's a decent place to farm exp until Sundaily?

Steam
  • Options
    edited May 2016

What is that?

A 5% spawn of enemies in the 90 difficulty section of the FFXII event. 5 enemies, each with roughly 16000HP, they don't hit too hard, but can gang up on you if you're unprepared/not expecting them. When they die, they always drop a Major Orb (Black or White) and are collectively worth about 180000 exp.

Power too.
    So that's a decent place to farm exp until Sundaily?

It's only a 5% chance (times three) per 18 stamina, so it's very possible you run through your entire stamina and come out of it with nothing but scraps.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    It's actually really good, and the Major orb is guaranteed. The spawn rate is a little low, but the exp for beating the stage even without their spawn is better than doing a ++ difficulty daily (25500 mastery compared to 20500 for a daily) and you're spending less stamina to run it. The only thing the daily has going for it is getting greens and specific orb types. Today being Power and White is a bit of a wash, though.

If you're thinking about it, it's the last day to do it before the update tonight for FFVIII bonus battles.

• Options
    Shamus wrote: »

Randomly dropped RMs are the worst. I burned about 6 hours of stamina getting Mako Might, meanwhile Zack drops his ultra-crappy RM+ on literally the second wave of enemies after I used his MC2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Speaking of randomly dropped RMs, your friendly reminder that Palom's RM2 is a double exp type, just like Cid and Relm. It's up to you if it's worth spending eggs to boost him to 65 if you can beat the fight for his MC2 so you can start farming it ASAP.

Monday, Monday, Monday!

• Options
    As an interesting aside, apparently Luneth's MC3 unlocks a new RM (have to get to 99 first maybe? not sure) that gives 40% chance at double experience. I'm not convinced it is worth using an MC3 lode on him just for that, but something to consider in 6 months or so.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'd guess that MC3s will unlock the associated RM for drop right away; if they made you wait until getting to 99 for it to drop, that'd take forever and a day.

Doing mage parties for all of FF8's bonus battles as my synergy overall blows, and it's easier for me to damage cap with mages in that scenario. Decided to finally deploy Grand Cross ExDeath for Elnoyle, which also meant I got to finally make that R2 Flare I was talking about making. Interested to see how that works out.

Edit: well, shit; Elnoyle got a Holy off... and it hit Rinoa for like 400 damage? That was anticlimactic. Turns out Elnoyle's MND stat is super low so he hits like a wet noodle even if you only have one or two layers of mitigation. And his RES is really high, so even Flare was only hitting for ~7k damage. I did learn that Grand Cross will absorb any BLK or WHT ability, even if it's AoE. Elnoyle's Meteors still hit everyone else, but Exdeath got a free Flare charge out of it. So that was nice.

Grand Cross only restores 1 ability use, but it will always restore an ability that's less than max. I got one Shellga charge back, but then I got 3 Flares back, so that's handy.

Rius on
This discussion has been closed.