As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SE++ Writes a Movie] Mortal Kombat: A Cinematic Universe

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    MK Conquest had such an amazing finale.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    SHAO KAHN WINS

THE END

is just so good

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    unfortunately you have to watch mortal kombat conquest

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

You misspelt happily.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

Chincy, at least our cheesy martial arts tv show is all original and not comprised of recycled parts of various shows.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Conquest had to be better than Defenders of the Realm at least.

Though, then again, Defends of the Realm did have Ron Perlman as Stryker.

• Options
    i love conquest so much

i'd watch it after wcw nitro every week

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    We don't need and shouldn't have any of those throwaway characters from conquest, but I would love to have a movie that ends with Shao Khan triumphant. That moment is perhaps Shao Khan at his most effective and imposing, which is what you want. It's quite easy to have him end up as kind of a joke or seem like a bratty child compared to the elder gods (not that there shouldn't be some element of that in his character), but I feel he needs to be as terrifying a character in a movie representation as he is as an end boss on hard (seriously, fuck off with that hammer bullshit).

• Options
    Also, if you're still doing fan casting, what about Stryker?

He's going to be shooting a lot, is enormously tired of all this off-world shit screwing up his life but is still an expert at dealing with it, and still retains comedic timing.

...Farscape's Ben Browder?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    my fan cast for curtis stryker has been and will always be eureka's colin ferguson

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I had no idea that Mortal Kombat had a mythos, or really any story at all. Just assumed it was a bunch of random characters thrown into a fighting game

But this stuff sounds pretty interesting?

• Options
    I actually did think of him first, but then went with Ben Browder because I couldn't remember many action sequences in Eureka.

• Options
    see i think it's very important that stryker have next to no martial arts training. just his cop gear and standard police self-defense training.

he's just really lucky/unlucky.

he's our jack burton.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I had no idea that Mortal Kombat had a mythos, or really any story at all. Just assumed it was a bunch of random characters thrown into a fighting game

But this stuff sounds pretty interesting?

Mortal kombats lore is, as someone who loves it, detailed to a level that's kind of completely insane

There are very few game universes that have as much thought put into the cosmology and background of the universe that MK does

The difference is that a lot of MK's is just haphazardly built on top of itself, which leads to an actually very interestingly layered mythology

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    netherrealms commits to their dumb idea

and i love them for it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    see i think it's very important that stryker have next to no martial arts training. just his cop gear and standard police self-defense training.

he's our jack burton.

he can't be jack burton!

Johnny cage is jack burton!

YOU CANT HAVE TWO JACK BURTONS

• Options

he's our jack burton.

he can't be jack burton!

WHAT ARE YOU

THE BOSS OF JACK BURTONS???

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

he's our jack burton.

he can't be jack burton!

WHAT ARE YOU

I'm Jack Burton Prime

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

he's our jack burton.

he can't be jack burton!

WHAT ARE YOU

I'm Jack Burton Prime

You wish...

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

he's our jack burton.

he can't be jack burton!

WHAT ARE YOU

I'm Jack Burton Prime

You wish...

Listen

I am the most inept and also the whitest

So I win?!

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

he's our jack burton.

he can't be jack burton!

WHAT ARE YOU

I'm Jack Burton Prime

You wish...

Listen

I am the most inept and also the whitest

So I win?!

Don't make me quote myself...

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Stryker isn't Jack Burton anyway, he's perhaps more John McClane. Both the "every-man" in the crazy situation but a difference in competence.

Stryker should succeed in this insane supernatural situation not primarily through luck and the skill of others but because he has the simple presence of mind to shoot that giant hell beast or dragon instead of panicking. Stryker's strength is that when confronted with a crazy monster he has never seen before or a ninja or a mystical warrior he's doesn't do what any normal person does and react with disbelief or become confused or panic because a thing that shouldn't exist does, he just starts dumping. No hesitation. When I imagine Stryker I think of the scene in empire strikes back where the door opens and Darth Vader is there and Han immediately shoots at him while everyone else seems shocked.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    MKX has a pretty amazing campaign story. I mean it's not enough to say it's the best fighting game story campaign (cos, well, low bar), it's genuinely a fun and engaging romp through a great and colourful fantasy world compared to any game genre

It also, for all its violence and history of missteps, has pretty well done female characters now. I love that in MKX most of the female costumes were much less revealing. Compared to Street Fighter V (and even MK9 with the ridiculous female body proportions) it's downright mature bordering on not-embarressing. I mean nothing against street fighter it's just I've wanted MK to jettison the skimpy costumes and refocus on cartoonishly fun violence for a long time

I think the violence works because it's not mean spirited, it's Titans vs Titans doing insane nonsense damage to one another, you aren't beating up a weaker person, or like GTA using violence in a creepily realistic way.

I don't want to give it too much credit and read too much into it, but at least within its genre it's become pretty damn respectable

Prohass on
  • Options
    I know that they're new characters but I would legit be really interested in a film focused on Ko'Tal and D'Vorah

• Options
    really, i think the only entry in mortal kombat that has characters i'd not be interested in seeing again is deception

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    really, i think the only entry in mortal kombat that has characters i'd not be interested in seeing again is deception

Personally I really don't care much about the armageddon stuff

Taven and his brother are super boring and centering the whole game on them was such a bad idea

notable that in MK9 when they show the Armageddon battle with raiden, he doesn't even show up

• Options

Ashrah is conceptually interesting.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah honestly if theres a choice between focussing on the new MKX characters over any of those duds im all for it

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I honestly think cutting it down just to the MK9/MKX cast would be best

Netherrealm intentionally trimmed the fat with those rosters and the new creations they made are, for the most part, better than the ones they cut.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Yeah honestly if theres a choice between focussing on the new MKX characters over any of those duds im all for it

There's value in having them as part of the backstory but now that they've basically made everything that happened between MK3 and MK9 non-canon they can move on to new things and I think that was the right call

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I honestly think cutting it down just to the MK9/MKX cast would be best

Netherrealm intentionally trimmed the fat with those rosters and the new creations they made are, for the most part, better than the ones they cut.

Yeah

I think focusing on the outworlders, earthrealmers, edenians and various gods is great

you can have those other realms and stories as background but at some point it gets too big to juggle and also I really genuinely love MK's lore and even I think the Orderrealm and Chaosrealm are kind of dumb

The best story we ever got out of it was Havik in the MKX comic, which wasn't even in a game

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    is it not 'kinematic universe' or is that only for words that start with co

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Just words with the K/Hard C/Ck sound

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    really the only characters i'd miss are nitara and hsu hao, the cyborg leather daddy

frost made it through to the mkx story-mode so she's safe

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Orderrealm and Chaosrealm had a few ideas with potential (Chaosrealm worships water because it is formless, Orderrealm architecture is heavily insect-themed due to how orderly hives and such operate, etc.) they just never did anything with it, or gave you any reason to care about anyone from those places except maybe Havik.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    Orderrealm and Chaosrealm had a few ideas with potential (Chaosrealm worships water because it is formless, Orderrealm architecture is heavily insect-themed due to how orderly hives and such operate, etc.) they just never did anything with it, or gave you any reason to care about anyone from those places except maybe Havik.

Yeah noone from orderrealm really matters
    really the only characters i'd miss are nitara and hsu hao, the cyborg leather daddy

frost made it through to the mkx story-mode so she's safe

Nitara is cool but I understand why they haven't used the vampires, they've been pushing their more unique fantasy races and anything thats more common has been kind of left on the wayside

• Options
    oh yeah no

i am under no delusion any of the monster races from deadly alliance will be seen again

sorry drahmin fans

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    oh yeah no

i am under no delusion any of the monster races from deadly alliance will be seen again

sorry drahmin fans

there was this one guy on ed boone's twitter who was asking for drahmin like literally two or three times a day for months leading up to MKX's release

• Options
    oh yeah no

sorry drahmin fans

there was this one guy on ed boone's twitter who was asking for drahmin like literally two or three times a day for months leading up to MKX's release

be honest

was it you?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    oh yeah no

sorry drahmin fans

be honest

was it you?

No

...I did ask him about Rain though