As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SE++ Writes a Movie] Mortal Kombat: A Cinematic Universe

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    well asking about rain just makes sense

rain is boss as hell

he does that thing where he kicks you and you go from one side of the screen to the other

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Here's a good question. What stages do you try to fit the fight scenes on, or do you not worry about it and just shoot them however? You gotta have The Pit, right?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The Pit, Shao Khan's Arena, Shang Tsung's Throne Room, The Woods and Goro's Lair seem essential

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    is it not 'kinematic universe' or is that only for words that start with co

the Kinetic Universe is the games on the latest motion tracker VR system

because

because kinetic energy

is the joke

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The Pit, Shao Khan's Arena, Shang Tsung's Throne Room, The Woods and Goro's Lair seem essential

i'd throw the dead pool in there too

and any part with a fight on earth demands the subway

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

Combine Subway with the MK9 battle torn city stage and you have a deal

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Man this just makes me want to play MK9 again

I played so much of that fucking game

Just an entire Summer of hanging out with stoner idiots and punching each other in Mortal Kombat

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Combine Subway with the MK9 battle torn city stage and you have a deal

so long as someone gets hit by a train, i'll buy it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Also as for Johnny Cage, I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen him mentioned yet, Channing Tatum seems like the perfect balance of cocky douche and well meaning idiot

It might be a bit too on the nose but still

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I like Channing a lot but I dunno, I dont think Johnny should really be that beefy or that big of a meat head?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I like Channing a lot but I dunno, I dont think Johnny should really be that beefy or that big of a meat head?
    I mean

Dude got his own name tattooed on his chest in gothic font because it looks cool

He's a pretty big meathead

The size thing is fair, Channing is definitely bulkier than Johnny usually is

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I demand a feel good movie about Ferra/Torr searching for their home and the other members of their race

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I mean

Dude got his own name tattooed on his chest in gothic font because it looks cool

He's a pretty big meathead

The size thing is fair, Channing is definitely bulkier than Johnny usually is

Oh he's egotistical as hell

But he's not as thick as Tatum usually plays

I think he could do it but it wouldn't be my first choice

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Cage's original blueprint is Bloodsport Van Damme so to me someone who is a close analogue to 80's Van Damme from a physical standpoint would be ideal. It's a pretty big ask to have someone who perfectly matches that angle while still having the "charisma" of Cage at the same time.

• Options
    Personally I think the charisma is a way more important aspect of his character versus being ripped like an 80s action hero

I love Johnny because he's a giant doofus, not because he is hella ripped

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Personally I think the charisma is a way more important aspect of his character versus being ripped like an 80s action hero

I love Johnny because he's a giant doofus, not because he is hella ripped

yeah as long as he's got pecs to write Johnny across we're good

• Options
    So @zonugal I think we have the basic idea of how we want the first film to go, and what it needs to do: Establish characters and introduce the world and stakes

Then we do our expansion films. This is interesting because its the OPPOSITE of how marvel did it, but I think it can work because the personalities are so outsized and they don't need a ton of screen time to establish themselves

Do you do the serious Lui Kang followup first to delve deeper into the overall lore, or flesh out the side characters in a special forces movie? How do you position these things

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I really love the Ryan Gosling for Johnny cage, especially after seeing the Mr. Nice guys trailer.

So if i understand correctly, using Marvel Movies as an analogue, you guys want to do like:

Mortal Kombat = Avengers

Sonya Blade/Jax Revenge Movie - goes to outworld to catch Kano, dead or alive (prefers dead) but Jax follows her for back up, brings her back from the edge and she decides to do it "by the book" and bring Kano in. Climax - They have to go through a whole hoard of Outworld Baddies to do it.

Scorpion/Sub-Zero with Johnny Cage as side kick/outsiders perspective - just like it was described earlier was perfect.

Outworld movie Starring Kitana setup for Outworld invasion, Shao Kahns Sindel resurrection shenanigans.

Mortal Kombat 2 = Avengers Age of Ultron - Outworld invasion, Stryker blasting dudes trying to destroy the local mall, trying to beat Shao Kahn once and for all. Major characters bit it. Basically the stuff from MK9

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    I really love the Ryan Gosling for Johnny cage, especially after seeing the Mr. Nice guys trailer.

So if i understand correctly, using Marvel Movies as an analogue, you guys want to do like:

Mortal Kombat = Avengers

Sonya Blade/Jax Revenge Movie - goes to outworld to catch Kano, dead or alive (prefers dead) but Jax follows her for back up, brings her back from the edge and she decides to do it "by the book" and bring Kano in. Climax - They have to go through a whole hoard of Outworld Baddies to do it.

Scorpion/Sub-Zero with Johnny Cage as side kick/outsiders perspective - just like it was described earlier was perfect.

Outworld movie Starring Kitana setup for Outworld invasion, Shao Kahns Sindel resurrection shenanigans.

Mortal Kombat 2 = Avengers Age of Ultron - Outworld invasion, Stryker blasting dudes trying to destroy the local mall, trying to beat Shao Kahn once and for all. Major characters bit it. Basically the stuff from MK9

Basically yeah, the "phases" stuff works really well in this instance

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So now I guess we cast the MK II fighters

For Kitana (and by extension, Mileena), I propose Elodie Yung

Bella+Addormentata+Premiere+69th+Venice+Film+F1GcI0BtCZvl.jpg

• Options
    Imagining that very pretty lady with MIleena teeth is giving me the deepest creeps

• Options
    And that's why it works

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So @zonugal I think we have the basic idea of how we want the first film to go, and what it needs to do: Establish characters and introduce the world and stakes

Then we do our expansion films. This is interesting because its the OPPOSITE of how marvel did it, but I think it can work because the personalities are so outsized and they don't need a ton of screen time to establish themselves

Do you do the serious Lui Kang followup first to delve deeper into the overall lore, or flesh out the side characters in a special forces movie? How do you position these things

Alright @Chincymcchilla, I took all of yesterday to think this over.

And really what we need to ask ourselves is what do we need to set-up for the second Mortal Kombat film? And what will that second film look like?

Right now I'd say that you'd possibly want to go with, to mimic @Devlin_Dragonus:
    Mortal Kombat
    * This is the first film in the franchise/cinematic universe.

It introduces the three primary protagonists of the entire franchise: Lui Kang, Johnny Cage & Sonya Blade. They're brought together by Raiden to fight for the defense of Earthrealm in the Mortal Kombat tournament. In addition to these three we have Sub-Zero who agreed to join the tournament to get revenge on Scorpion (who has been bought by Shang Tsung to fight for Outworld), Kano who has been secretly recruited by Raiden as incentive to get Sonya Blade to participate, Reptile (one of Shang Tsung's spies/warriors), Goro (Mortal Kombat's nine-time reigning champion) and of course, Shang Tsung, the general of Outworld's Emperor and a previous champion of Mortal Kombat (he slayed Kun Loa's ancestor a thousand years ago).

In the film we have the following fights:
    * Sub-Zero versus Scorpion; Sub-Zero is killed.
    * Scorpion versus Johnny Cage; Scorpion is defeated but left alive (and thus knows he can at least trust Cage for the future)
    * Lui Kang versus Reptile; Reptile is killed.
    * Sonya Blade versus Baraka (or just a standard Tarkatan); Baraka (or standard Tarkatan) is killed.
    * Kano versus a nameless Outworld warrior (we'll have to make someone up like that Jamaican dude Kang fights in the first film); nameless Outworld warrior is killed.
    * Lui Kang versus Goro; Goro is killed.

Near the end of the film Shang Tsung offers Kano dominion of his own in exchange for betraying his comrades, and he does so because he absolutely doesn't believe they can defeat Goro. He escapes with Shang Tsung who tell Raiden that THIS ISN'T OVER.
    Mortal Kombat: Outworld
    * This is the film in which Lui Kang journeys to Outworld as the champion of Earthrealm and as such now serves as voice to Earthrealm in council meetings & such. During his first such meeting he meets Kitana, Kotal Kahn and the other members of the Outworld royal family. While there Lui Kang is framed for a murder and as such has to escape back to Earthrealm with the help of Kitana. All of this was a manipulation by Shang Tsung as to give Outworld a valid reason to step back towards Earthrealm.
    Mortal Kombat: Fire & Ice
    * This is the film in which Johnny Cage's production of Mortal Combat is being wrought with errors & setbacks, which he eventually discovers is the sabotaging of both the Shirai Ryu & Lin Kuei ninja clans. Through his own private investigations Cage is told a slew of different interpretations of the same story in which how the clans became enemies for life. He digs deeper and discovers that their stories don't make sense, and with the help of the newest Sub-Zero (Kuai Liang) and Scorpion, they confront the Lin Kuei clan's grandmaster. He reveals that he has tainting the Lin Kuei for decades by turning them into a dishonorably clan of assassins for higher. But he did it to make his clan stronger! He introduces the cyborgs and Sub-Zero, with the help of Scorpion & Cage, basically destroy the entire clan. Sub-Zero swears to build a better Lin Kuei and offers a bond/truce to the Shirai Ryu through Scorpion.
    Mortal Kombat: Special Forces
    * This is the film in which Sonya Blade tries to convince the world security council (or maybe just the president of the United States) that they need to build a global defense against the other realms. They don't necessarily believe her, so she goes on a reconnaissance mission to Outworld to gain evidence. She is also using this as a partial excuse to go hunt down Kano. She is joined by her current partner Jax, who tries to convince her that vengeance won't fulfill anything. On her way through Outworld they fight some monster/characters, she confronts Kano who she gets into custody and they make they way back. Before they re-enter Earthrealm they are joined by a fleeing Lui Kang who alerts them to his framing. They jump to Earthrealm but it's too late... Outworld has all the permission they need to go to Earthrealm & retrieve Lui Kang, or you know, destroy the whole place while they try.
    Mortal Kombat 2: Konquest
    * This film is about the entire invasion of Outworld into Earthrealm. We have some separate story-lines during it, which are:
    --- Raiden, Kung Lao & Stryker defending Earthrealm in the primary battlefield (which will probably be an urban/city landscape)
    --- Sonya Blade & Jax leading a group of Special Forces commandos to destroy the portals letting Outworld's armies into Earthrealm.
    --- Lui Kang confronts Shang Tsung, issuing a challenge that if Shang wins Earthrealm is his forever. but if Lui wins Outworld is forever barred from any attempt at it again. The two of the fight and Lui is victorious.
    --- Johnny Cage, Scorpion & Sub-Zero race across the realms to convene the Elder Gods & tell them to prohibit this type of behavior.

Shang Tsung returns to a furious Emperor who destroys him. Earthrealm is safe, for all time it would seem, but we see Tsung arrive in the Netherrealm where he his greeted by the man who has been orchestrating this entire sequence of events. He set the Lin Kuei & Shirai Ryu against each other. He framed Lui Kang for murder at the council meeting. His name is Quan Chi and he has a deadly alliance in mind...

So that is what I have so far, its all rough & such, but yeah.

Thoughts? I am 100% open.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    And that's why it works

Yeah I agree

the whole thing with mileena being the one who exploits her sexuality but also is super scary works really well I think

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    For Styker, I know someone mentioned that they see him as a sort of John McClane character.

And I think that works well, but I have a different interpretation.

I imagine that Kurtis Stryker is a man of raw rage, a level of anger none of us have ever understood. Everything in life seems to be out to get him. It seems like everything in life is out to get everyone. And that is why Styker does what he does. Protecting & serving is the only outlet for his rage, a rage he uses to save lives.

I'm basically imagining a combination of Judge Dredd and Chief Senior Chief Petty Officer Miles O'Brien.

• Options
    So then

Karl Urban for Stryker

tumblr_nr3e71OFaA1sj0d2po1_500.jpg

@Zonugal we need a Sub-Zero II. Also, do we ever have the original Sub-Zero return as Noob Saibot?

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    For Styker, I know someone mentioned that they see him as a sort of John McClane character.

I imagine that Kurtis Stryker is a man of raw rage, a level of anger none of us have ever understood. Everything in life seems to be out to get him. It seems like everything in life is out to get everyone. And that is why Styker does what he does. Protecting & serving is the only outlet for his rage, a rage he uses to save lives.

I'm basically imagining a combination of Judge Dredd and Chief Senior Chief Petty Officer Miles O'Brien.

Stryker is ... Raylan Givens?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    So then

Karl Urban for Stryker

tumblr_nr3e71OFaA1sj0d2po1_500.jpg

I imagine we can find some other lesser-known actor, but basically yeah.
    @Zonugal we need a Sub-Zero II. Also, do we ever have the original Sub-Zero return as Noob Saibot?

For Sub-Zero II (Kuai Liang), I could throw out three ideas? Donny Alamsyah, Kane Kosugi & Andy On.

Any of those grab you, @Joolander ?

As for Noob Saibot? I don't know, maybe, sure?

Zonugal on
  • Options

Stryker is ... Raylan Givens?

Yeah

YEAH

YEAH LET'S JUST GET TIMOTHY OLYPHANT!

• Options
    edited April 2016
    See I'd save Timothy Olyphant for Erron Black

Urban might be well known, but he always seems to be down for genre roles and fully commits no matter the pay

Plus then we can have Olyphant and Urban in that Outworld buddy cop movie

Joolander on
  • Options
    Troy Baker reprises his role as Erron Black on film

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I think Sub Zero 2 needs to be a reasonably accomplished actor, he's going to have to have some pretty good chops if the franchise continues on. Not that the guys listed aren't I'm just not familiar with them.

Also man Zonugal I promise I'm gonna read through that you really killed it, might be a bit though

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I think you may need another stock fighter or two for Goro to absolutely obliterate so Kano's belief that Goro can't be beaten is clear and for good reason ( at least something beyond "He's a huge dude with four arms"). I'd think this could be done in the backstory or Raiden recounting the previous tournaments, but Goro needs to stand out as more than a fighter, more of an absolute monster, at least to the audience. It's one thing to be told "Hey, this guy won the last 9 Kombats so be scared" but quite another to see him rip a guys arms off then beat the torso into a fine paste with them.

Also, where is the Broadway Production of Mortal Kombat: The Musikal going to fit in with the overall arc?

Also also, is it Liu Kang, or Lui Kang?
    Mortal Kombat: Fire & Ice
    * This is the film in which Johnny Cage's production of Mortal Combat is being wrought with errors & setbacks, which he eventually discovers is the sabotaging of both the Shirai Ryu & Lin Kuei ninja clans. Through his own private investigations Cage is told a slew of different interpretations of the same story in which how the clans became enemies for life. He digs deeper and discovers that their stories don't make sense, and with the help of the newest Sub-Zero (Kuai Liang) and Scorpion, they confront the Lin Kuei clan's grandmaster. He reveals that he has tainting the Lin Kuei for decades by turning them into a dishonorably clan of assassins for higher. But he did it to make his clan stronger! He introduces the cyborgs and Sub-Zero, with the help of Scorpion & Cage, basically destroy the entire clan. Sub-Zero swears to build a better Lin Kuei and offers a bond/truce to the Shirai Ryu through Scorpion.
    I'd love to see this shot like Hero, where the color pallets vary depending on who's version of the story we're seeing at any given moment.
    Is it too soon to pencil in Zhang Yimou for director?

• Options

Urban might be well known, but he always seems to be down for genre roles and fully commits no matter the pay

I kinda want to see Olyphant as Stryker and Urban as Erron Black. They got the acting chops for it and i think it will be fun!

• Options

I kinda want to see Olyphant as Stryker and Urban as Erron Black. They got the acting chops for it and i think it will be fun!

WAIT I TAKE IT BACK!

Olyphant as Erron Black and
    Jacob Pitts as Stryker

justified-image-jacob-pitts-3.jpg

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    I think you may need another stock fighter or two for Goro to absolutely obliterate so Kano's belief that Goro can't be beaten is clear and for good reason ( at least something beyond "He's a huge dude with four arms"). I'd think this could be done in the backstory or Raiden recounting the previous tournaments, but Goro needs to stand out as more than a fighter, more of an absolute monster, at least to the audience. It's one thing to be told "Hey, this guy won the last 9 Kombats so be scared" but quite another to see him rip a guys arms off then beat the torso into a fine paste with them.

Totally fair, I agree.

So, lets come up with some stock Earthrealm warriors.

I nominate pulling inspiration from martial arts characters.

So, I'd have a French-Canadian/European kickboxer as well as a short, American Marshall.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I feel like having Kabal get his ass kicked by Goro would be a good deal. Have Goro crush his chest in, pull Jax's arms off.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Totally fair, I agree.

So, lets come up with some stock Earthrealm warriors.

I nominate pulling inspiration from martial arts characters.

So, I'd have a French-Canadian/European kickboxer as well as a short, American Marshall.

Consider the time span as well. If you're setting this up as Raiden talking about past tournaments, that could open up a lot of flexibility. If the tournament is only held once every hundred years, and this is the 10th tournament, we've got 1000 years of time to look at for the best fighters.
    How bout a knight in full plate mail getting mauled by Goro? A mongol warrior from Genghis Khan's horde. An Indian fighter wielding an urumi seems like it'd be really in MKs wheelhouse.

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I feel like having Kabal get his ass kicked by Goro would be a good deal. Have Goro crush his chest in, pull Jax's arms off.

Kabal was a member of the Black Dragon like Kano, right? I like the idea of Goro demolishing one of Kano's buddies to strike legitimate fear in his heart

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

Kabal was a member of the Black Dragon like Kano, right? I like the idea of Goro demolishing one of Kano's buddies to strike legitimate fear in his heart

He was Stryker's old partner who was a corrupt cop working for the Black Dragon IIRC, canonically gets fucked up by Kintaro's fire breath but I think this would work better.