Options

Of Saints, Souls, and [Steam]

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    So Apex seems like it's pretty great. Runs well, looks fantastic, and holy crap there are rumble motors in the XB1 controller's triggers, I forgot that was even a thing. Kind of a bummer that it isn't the full fat version as the XB1's FM6, but you take what you can get.

If Forza Horizon 3 ever makes it to the PC, though, god damn...

I'm excited to try this out when I get home, but man I still can't fathom how MS decided to release a beta for a racing sim without wheel support, and since UWP doesn't support DirectInput practically every wheel currently on the market won't ever be compatible.

This means they have to tailor car physics and controls for a controller, which is ok I guess, but a racing sim without wheel support is like a flight sim that doesn't support a joystick.

It'll be interesting to see how it differs from sims on Steam like Assetto Corsa or even simcade type stuff like Grid though. More vroom vroom car go fast games are never a bad thing.

I have been interested in this. Course, I have to finish FFIX first. And that might take some time. But no wheel support? I'm not comprehending. Things I hear about the windows store just make me go huh?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    This late in the game, finishing Skyrim feels like a chore I don't want to do, and once I start, I do not want to stop.

The only way it could get better would be if there were random NPCs that cast teleportation spells and suddenly it was a skyrim MMA match. No powers, no shouts, all muscle.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So Apex seems like it's pretty great. Runs well, looks fantastic, and holy crap there are rumble motors in the XB1 controller's triggers, I forgot that was even a thing. Kind of a bummer that it isn't the full fat version as the XB1's FM6, but you take what you can get.

I'm excited to try this out when I get home, but man I still can't fathom how MS decided to release a beta for a racing sim without wheel support, and since UWP doesn't support DirectInput practically every wheel currently on the market won't ever be compatible.

This means they have to tailor car physics and controls for a controller, which is ok I guess, but a racing sim without wheel support is like a flight sim that doesn't support a joystick.

It'll be interesting to see how it differs from sims on Steam like Assetto Corsa or even simcade type stuff like Grid though. More vroom vroom car go fast games are never a bad thing.

I have been interested in this. Course, I have to finish FFIX first. And that might take some time. But no wheel support? I'm not comprehending. Things I hear about the windows store just make me go huh?

"Race wheels are not yet supported in Forza Motorsport 6: Apex. Adding wheel support will be a focus of the development team during the beta period."

I mean, race wheels are supported on the xb1 version of Forza so it's just a matter of time.

And also this - http://www.icxm.net/x/fm6-apex-wheel-support-confirmed.html

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

"Race wheels are not yet supported in Forza Motorsport 6: Apex. Adding wheel support will be a focus of the development team during the beta period."

I mean, race wheels are supported on the xb1 version of Forza so it's just a matter of time.

Somehow I feel like the chances of them adding DirectInput support into UWP is a lot smaller than the chances they want you to buy a licensed wheel only for XBox One and Xbox Windows.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »

Somehow I feel like the chances of them adding DirectInput support into UWP is a lot smaller than the chances they want you to buy a licensed wheel only for XBox One and Xbox Windows.

Yeah. That is probably the reality of it.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Various games have tried to pry me away from my beloved G25. The drivers I currently use are 5 years old as anything more recent isn't recognised by the hardware.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TreadLifeTreadLife CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm feeling appreciative to @MuddBudd for Feelings of Him. Now to wash that along with tears to make room for new feels. Thanks for the change of perspective!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Various games have tried to pry me away from my beloved G25. The drivers I currently use are 5 years old as anything more recent isn't recognised by the hardware.

After the death of my fantastic G27 I have been relegated to using a Driving Force GT, otherwise known as the wheel so old it was designed to be used with Gran Turismo 5. Sometimes I gaze longingly at pictures of the G29 and silently whisper "someday..." while slowly trailing my finger across my screen.

If you like racing sims, or driving games in general, get a wheel. Even if you go out and buy the cheapest wheel you can find with force feedback, just grab one. Your laptimes will get shorter and your whole experience will be different. If you're anything like me you won't ever want to go back.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular

After the death of my fantastic G27 I have been relegated to using a Driving Force GT, otherwise known as the wheel so old it was designed to be used with Gran Turismo 5. Sometimes I gaze longingly at pictures of the G29 and silently whisper "someday..." while slowly trailing my finger across my screen.

If you like racing sims, or driving games in general, get a wheel. Even if you go out and buy the cheapest wheel you can find with force feedback, just grab one. Your laptimes will get shorter and your whole experience will be different. If you're anything like me you won't ever want to go back.

I have wanted a wheel for a while. I haven't got one yet, but somehow I figured just the feeling of it in your hands will make you better. More like your muscle memory from a real car. But I have no proof of this.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Had I not gotten this controller from scratchy, I might have scrimped and saved and just built me one.......*googles how to build ardino driving wheel*

edit: Of course he plays THAT game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SMHqxxX1EY

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options

And some headphones so you can play racing games really loud. Sound design in most modern racing sims is absolutely phenomenal

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's times like this that frustrate me that we're not able to revert back to previous versions of a games release if the current one renders it unplayable. The Arcen Games dev has been fairly active in addressing concerns leveled at Starward Rogue regarding a crash-on-startup bug for people with dual monitors, but it's still without a fix and their latest post about it is the largely a shrug of the shoulders as hes not able to replicate the problem. I know they're under pressure after they had to sack almost all of their staff so I'm not expecting a quick turn-around on a patch, but in the meantime I think it'd be good to let me play it in a version that's no longer the latest even if you must disable achievements or whatever associated fluff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    This late in the game, finishing Skyrim feels like a chore I don't want to do, and once I start, I do not want to stop.

By "finish" you mean modding it until it's so horribly broken that only a new install will get it running again, correct?

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

I'm amazed how long my wheel has been supported by PC games. I currently use a Logitech Driving Force Pro which came out so long ago that it has a "Coming Soon: Gran Turismo 4" on the box. Yet this wheel which came out for PS2 works on every PC game I have tried that has wheel support. It even works on PS3 and though I don't have one I hear there is a workaround to trick a PS4 into thinking it is a G29 which lets it work on that also.

I'll be sad if the future of peripherals will be Xinput only in the future, but I'm more impressed by how long this wheel lasted.

Jeix on
  • Options
    an_alt wrote: »

By "finish" you mean modding it until it's so horribly broken that only a new install will get it running again, correct?

I mean reach the end of so many major quests that I feel my work is complete and the Dragonborn of this timeline can set sail for Vvanderfall to literally carve a new homeland for the Dumner with his own freaking claws.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    There are a bunch of people on my friends list who want Downwell, which is 1.50 right now and is also good.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Just realized I had the Chaos campaign on hard this entire time. Finally got everything on balance and going to storm the castle in the morning.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    New Subnautica update is out:
    http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/machinery-update/

Cyclops upgrades, map scanner, fish respawning, and many other things that I'll probably look into once they take Overwatch from me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Just realized I had the Chaos campaign on hard this entire time. Finally got everything on balance and going to storm the castle in the morning.

Have fun storming the castle!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »

Cyclops upgrades, map scanner, fish respawning, and many other things that I'll probably look into once they take Overwatch from me.

Oh Jeez.

Now I have to choose which game to play more this weekend: Subnautica, Factorio, or Dark Souls 3 or even surprise contender Dark Souls 1 more this weekend. What a time to be alive!

And there's also the Overwatch open-beta. Although I will not be able to participate in FNG Overwatch, as per usual. :sad:

Too many good games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Think it'll work?

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Think it'll work?

It'd take a miracle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

Think it'll work?

It'd take a miracle.

Buh bye!

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    What/where are the fng details? I have some stuff to do this evening but I've been enjoying overwatch. I'd like to pop in for a short while.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »

Oh Jeez.

Now I have to choose which game to play more this weekend: Subnautica, Factorio, or Dark Souls 3 or even surprise contender Dark Souls 1 more this weekend. What a time to be alive!

And there's also the Overwatch open-beta. Although I will not be able to participate in FNG Overwatch, as per usual. :sad:

Too many good games.

The proper answer is Overwatch. Choose from the rest of your list on Monday.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    @ToyD Ask and Ye Shall Receive!
    Karoz wrote: »
    FNG will be Overwatch

I know it's not steam but it is having it's open beta this week from May 5th-9th (or now if you already preordered). We'll do some fun custom matches and mess around, don't worry about being good.

Usual start time of 6pm PDT.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks, how do you guys organize the grouping? Meet in steam chat first?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    What the hell, Dark Souls? After rage quitting yesterday with exclamations of "this game is bullshit", I can't stop thinking about it and want to get home to play it.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    What the hell, Dark Souls? After rage quitting yesterday with exclamations of "this game is bullshit", I can't stop thinking about it and want to get home to play it.

One of us...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

That's a very familiar feeling :) Usually happened about 5 to 10 minutes after shutting everything off for me. Can remember how many times that has happened. Which part are you at?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I wish I could refund DS3. Since I realized I have absolutely no urge to continue playing it after five hours.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That's what I love about Dark Souls is there is no hard stop. You get whacked, ruminate on how to overcome because no way you're letting that smug boss have his way, try new tactics and soon break through the wall.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »

Yeah, I'll be in the G&T chat first but in order to invite for the Custom Match I'll need to be friends with you on B.net.

So send me a friend invite, bnet ID Karoz#1732

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Hold on, can Europeans play with Americans on Battle.net? Just asking before I stay up until 2am getting drunk.
    Just kidding, I'll be doing that anyway.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    That's what I love about Dark Souls is there is no hard stop. You get whacked, ruminate on how to overcome because no way you're letting that smug boss have his way, try new tactics and soon break through the wall.

I love the feeling of being deep in a new area, out of Estus, down to half a life bar, with a pocketful of souls, and having to decide: peek around one more corner, or scamper home to recover knowing you'll have to fight your way back to this same spot again.

I usually opt for scampering home. Because I am weak. But sometimes I take the peek. There's usually regret. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

"The real Dark Souls starts here."

But, I mean, seriously, that's what I like about the Souls games. You throw the controller, exclaim "Bullshit!," turn off the system, go chill out, and then ... A light bulb. "I'm too aggressive during the wind-up. I need to back off a little bit ..."

And then VICTORY!

Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Options
    edited May 2016

"The real Dark Souls starts here."

But, I mean, seriously, that's what I like about the Souls games. You throw the controller, exclaim "Bullshit!," turn off the system, go chill out, and then ... A light bulb. "I'm too aggressive during the wind-up. I need to back off a little bit ..."

And then VICTORY!

Lather, rinse, repeat.

And then, when you feel like you've got an enemy's pattern down and you're feeling like unto a god: *whiff* *whiff* *WHACK* "HAHAHAHA, You got nothing! You're weak!" *THWACK!* *CRUNCH* YOU DIED "Oh. I'm dead."

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

That's a very familiar feeling :) Usually happened about 5 to 10 minutes after shutting everything off for me. Can remember how many times that has happened. Which part are you at?

I died to the Taurus demon, losing a lot of souls and humanity, died running back to him from mooks (you guys weren't exaggerating about that), beat him and died to the dragon twice, got the Drake sword and went around him, and then died to some giant boar looking thing.

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    ToyD wrote: »

Yeah, I'll be in the G&T chat first but in order to invite for the Custom Match I'll need to be friends with you on B.net.

So send me a friend invite, bnet ID Karoz#1732

Done, lemme know if you don't see the request.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I died to the Taurus demon, losing a lot of souls and humanity, died running back to him from mooks (you guys weren't exaggerating about that), beat him and died to the dragon twice, got the Drake sword and went around him, and then died to some giant boar looking thing.

Nothing there sounds unusual. You appear to be progressing in normal fashion. Carry on!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.